PDA

View Full Version : enforcer needed?

raspsa
12-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Aside from the much debated need for a long small forward to defend out to the perimeter, I think the Spurs also need a mobile, physical player to go up against players like Wells, Artest, etc. Bowen, Manu, barry, etc. are too skinny to get the job done and will simply get out-muscled..I thought this was demonstrated clearly in the Lakers game.. someone in the mold of Malik Rose would fit the bill nicely IMO.

Solid D
12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
It would be nice to have Rose himself, although Malik didn't defend quicker SFs all that great either. Eric Williams fits that bill to some degree raspsa. BTW, what is the meaning of your name raspsa?

Bruno
12-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Aside from the much debated need for a long small forward to defend out to the perimeter, I think the Spurs also need a mobile, physical player to go up against players like Wells, Artest, etc. Bowen, Manu, barry, etc. are too skinny to get the job done and will simply get out-muscled..I thought this was demonstrated clearly in the Lakers game...

People want a long SF to defend on players like Artest, Wells, Walton.
But you're right, Spurs needs more a strong player than a long player (strong and long will be perfect).

raspsa
12-23-2006, 11:05 AM
BTW, what is the meaning of your name raspsa?
just a play on my initials .. nothing to do with San Antonio at all... a rugged player like a Nocioni would be nice.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2006, 11:05 AM
our players are as strong as tmac right now with a brokeback mountain

raspsa
12-23-2006, 11:07 AM
People want a long SF to defend on players like Artest, Wells, Walton.
But you're right, Spurs needs more a strong player than a long player (strong and long will be perfect).
Actually, I'd prefer a long, lean SF (like a Tayshaun prince) and asecond, more physical SF ala Malik Rose, a banger.. guess I'm just greedy, haha.

boutons_
12-23-2006, 11:08 AM
yawn, we need one, but the Spurs can't/won't get one.

SenorSpur
12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Eric Williams has a bigger body than Bowen - that's not to say he's in Bowen's class defensively. I believe Pop should have thrown Williams into the fray to try and slow down Bonzi.

To your point though, yes the Spurs do need such a physical player not only to defend but to add rebounding too. That point was made very clear during the most recent game versus the Fakers.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 11:56 AM
There is one thing about Bonzi and Rockets : even if he is on fire, you can't just put an enforcer during the whole game on him because Spurs still need some offense and enforcer on Wells + Bruce on TMac (Tmac play more than 42 mpg in playoff) => no Manu.
If Wells/Tmac plays 25 mpg together, Manu will have to defend 10-15mpg on Bonzi.
Even if Bonzi is a bad matchup for Manu, he has to do a decent job on him.

SenorSpur
12-23-2006, 11:58 AM
There is one thing about Bonzi and Rockets : even if he is on fire, you can't just put an enforcer during the whole game on him because Spurs still need some offense and enforcer on Wells + Bruce on TMac (Tmac play more than 42 mpg in playoff) => no Manu.
If Wells/Tmac plays 25 mpg together, Manu will have to defend 10-15mpg on Bonzi.
Even if Bonzi is a bad matchup for Manu, he has to do a decent job on him.

Bonzi has been a bad matchup for the Spurs overall the past couple of seasons.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Bonzi has been a bad matchup for the Spurs overall the past couple of seasons.

Agree.
I just said that even if Spurs would have a Bonzi stopper in their roster, Bonzi will be a matchup problem for a part of the game.

SenorSpur
12-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Agree.
I just said that even if Spurs would have a Bonzi stopper in their roster, Bonzi will be a matchup problem for a part of the game.

Understood.

JPB
12-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Spurs would need a second offensive threat in the paint outside of Tim.
When he has a night of, like last night, there's nobody to take the torch, nobody with a decent post-up game.
Others teams can concentrate on defending the perimeter.

So, yes an enforcer would be welcomed.

kobe_bryant
12-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Bonzi is just one of your problems

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-23-2006, 01:02 PM
The other is Odom.