PDA

View Full Version : NBA beat analysis: Iverson trade and All-Star Game

ducks
12-24-2006, 09:31 AM
NBA beat analysis: Iverson trade and All-Star Game

Web Posted: 12/23/2006 09:29 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The trade that sent Allen Iverson from Philadelphia to Denver has a spillover effect that could affect Tony Parker's and Manu Ginobili's chances of making their second trips to the All-Star Game, scheduled for Las Vegas on Feb. 18. Ginobili made the All-Star lineup for the 2005 game; Parker for last season's contest. Both could get shut out this season because of Iverson's powerful presence in the West.
Fan voting determines the starters and often fails to reflect the reality of the season. For instance, Tracy McGrady, whose numbers are down as he deals yet again with an aching back, is on the fan ballot as a guard. He had some 668,000 votes in the first released numbers. That put him second in guard balloting, behind Kobe Bryant (720,000). Ginobili was at 125,000, Parker at 118,000.

Now Iverson has been shifted to the Western Conference in online voting and the nearly 600,000 votes he already has go with him. It's confusing, but there is a slim chance AI could pass McGrady for a starting spot. If he does, Parker or Ginobili might be selected by the Western Conference head coaches as reserves, because McGrady clearly does not merit a spot in the game this season.

If McGrady remains one of the top-two vote getters, the two Spurs likely can forget Vegas. Even two-time MVP Steve Nash lags way behind McGrady, with 432,000 votes. The coaches will determine which guards go to Vegas as reserves. Even if the coaches add three guard reserves, the choices will be agonizingly tough.

Here is how we handicap the race to play behind Bryant and McGrady in Las Vegas:

Steve Nash, Suns, 3-2: If anything, Nash is having an even better season thus far than he did in either of his MVP years and the Suns are again top the Pacific Division after their 15-game winning streak. That's why Nash is a lock.

Allen Iverson, Nuggets, 2-1: He is going to put up big numbers for Denver while Carmelo Anthony sits, but will he have played enough games with the Nuggets for the Western coaches to consider him if he isn't voted in as a starter? Probably.

Tony Parker, Spurs, 5-1: Despite Tim Duncan's re-emergence as the Spurs' top scorer, TP's scoring is up (19.1 from 18.9), as are his assists (6.0 from 5.8) from his 2005-06 All-Star season. He is shooting more consistently from the perimeter and the foul line. He remains one of the league's better defenders at the point. He should be a cinch, but because of A.I., he is not.

Chris Paul, Hornets, 8-1: The reigning NBA Rookie of the Year is putting up big-time numbers because he is just about the only scoring option left for the injury-plagued Hornets. His scoring matches Parker's and he trails only Nash and Jason Kidd in assists.

Deron Williams, Jazz, 10-1: Some experts are beginning to believe Williams, not Paul, will be the top point guard from the 2004 draft class. He is averaging 17.1 points and 8.7 assists for a team that has surprised the league with its success.

Manu Ginobili, Spurs, 15-1: His recent, post-injury surge should have him back on the All-Star radar, because he is the West's most intense big guard at both ends of the court.

Ray Allen, Sonics, 20-1: Injury woes and his team's struggles will give him a nice All-Star weekend off.

WalterBenitez
12-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, I bet TP will go Las Vegas bc of coaches, not seeing Manu in the same situation; so Star Game is about fans, not about how well a player is doing ...T-Mac is best example.

ducks
12-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Deron Williams, Jazz, 10-1: Some experts are beginning to believe Williams, not Paul, will be the top point guard from the 2004 draft class. He is averaging 17.1 points and 8.7 assists for a team that has surprised the league with its success.

does anyone agree with that?

exstatic
12-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Eventually, teams are going to 'Tony Parker' Chris Paul, backing off and letting him shoot. Deron Williams jumper is light years ahead of Paul's already, and the statisticians in Utah are already used to padding a PGs assist totals, so he's set for as long as he's there.

boutons_
12-24-2006, 12:56 PM
"does anyone agree with that?"

Deron explains the Jazz' success as well as anybody, including Boozer, and AK staying on the court. Like last night, the only offense working consistently for the Hornets was Chris.

I'd love Tony to develop that little 10-12 ft pull-up jumper that falls so incredibly often for Chris.

Both Chris and Deron are better athletes than Tony, with more muscular builds, fwiw, and have every chance of turning in better careers than Tony, if not as many rings.

phxspurfan
12-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Hmmm, I bet TP will go Las Vegas bc of coaches, not seeing Manu in the same situation; so Star Game is about fans, not about how well a player is doing ...T-Mac is best example.

yeah but nobody can argue a player like manu is better than T mac.

GrandeDavid
12-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't care about All Star appearances, I want championships. Hopefully this would in some way motivate Manu and Tony even more.

Dalamar_the_Dark
12-25-2006, 08:29 AM

Check my posts a couple of years back. I have always maintained that Deron Williams was the best point guard available. I trust Jerry Sloan. He knows what he was getting. Williams is Sloan's perfect point guard in the mould of Stockton. Only thing now is that he has Boozer, Kirilenko and Okur as his frontline. Stockton only had Malone though Malone was better than each of them individually.

CP3 is good very good. But he cant do it all by himself. His team lacks a good frontline. CP3 is more explosive but Williams is fundamentally better and has a better jump shot.

dg7md
12-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't care about All Star appearances, I want championships. Hopefully this would in some way motivate Manu and Tony even more.

Exactly. I wouldn't want Parker or Ginobili having a chance to get themselves injured. I understand they might want to play but overall I just want them to get to the finals again, all-star appearances are only helpful for referencing and that one night of fun and games.