PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee (13-14) at San Antonio (21-7)

ducks
12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Milwaukee (13-14) at San Antonio (21-7)
Milwaukee (13-14) at San Antonio (21-7)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 8:00 pm EST Tue Dec 26, 2006
TV: My24, FSSW Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets

By SANTOSH VENKATARAMAN, STATS Senior Writer

Mo Williams is playing so well for the Milwaukee Bucks, even Tony Parker might be jealous.

The two ultra-quick point guards will square off for the first time this season when Williams and the Bucks visit Parker and the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday.

Williams has been the catalyst to Milwaukee's season-high four-game winning streak, averaging 26.3 points on 52 percent shooting and handing out 7.3 assists per game.

"We're playing at a high level," Williams said. "I feel good and I'm shooting the ball real well. I still get my teammates involved and that's what I want to do."

ADVERTISEMENT

It's the kind of effort San Antonio (21-7) has come to expect out of Parker, who leads all point guards with 53 percent shooting while scoring 19.1 points per game. He's a major reason why the Spurs are averaging a Western Conference-low 14.4 turnovers.

Milwaukee (13-14) is averaging 114.3 points during its winning streak and the strong play of Williams has taken the pressure off leading scorer Michael Redd. Williams scored 32 points and Redd added 21 in the Bucks' 115-104 victory over New Jersey on Saturday.

"Mo's been playing well, extremely well," Redd said. "He's playing hard, smart basketball with a lot of confidence.

"We're all playing our best basketball right now. We're playing at a high level. Everybody has a winning attitude. Everybody's sacrificing. It feels really good to get some wins in a row. It really does."

Redd will be facing a difficult matchup of his own against San Antonio defensive stopper Bruce Bowen. He's never scored more than 26 points in his career against the Spurs, averaging 21.3 points in his last six starts against them.

The Bucks leading scorer has 10 games with at least 30 points this season.

Milwaukee is trying to win five straight for the first time since Jan. 2-9, 2004. The Bucks also have won five in a row against the West.

"There is a confidence," Milwaukee coach Terry Stotts said. "I think we're playing in a good rhythm now. We didn't have a four-game winning streak all year last year. It's good to have it. We don't take anything for granted. There's a seriousness, but there's also a confidence and we enjoy the wins."

The Bucks have lost four straight at San Antonio since a 101-91 win on Dec. 23, 2001.

The Spurs won for the sixth time in seven games on Saturday, 112-77 at New Orleans. Parker scored 19 points on 8-of-11 shooting as San Antonio shot a season-high 62.9 percent and made 12-of-16 3-pointers to bounce back from a loss the previous night to Houston.

"When the ball is moving and the guys are making the open shots it makes everything else seem like a cinch," Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. "It's great to have nights like this, especially after the night we had last night. We were basically the exact opposite of last night."

San Antonio is allowing 90.6 points per game -- second-best in the NBA -- and has been even better over the last seven games, yielding an average of 87.1.

Updated on Monday, Dec 25, 2006 6:26 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10
Milwaukee 13-14 5th Central / 8th East 102.6 103.8 Road 5-10 Won 4 7-3
San Antonio 21-7 1st Southwest / 1st West 100.1 90.6 Home 10-4 Won 1 8-2

Milwaukee Notes
Dec 24 Over the team's current season-high four-game winning streak, G Charlie Bell, G Michael Redd and G Maurice Williams are combining for 72.7 points per game. ... The four-game winning streak is the first since 2004 when the Bucks won four in a row from April 2 to April 7). ... In his last four games, Williams is averaging 26.3 points, 7.3 assists and 7.3 rebounds per game. ... The Bucks have won six consecutive home games including a 121-95 victory on Wednesday night against the Miami Heat. In that game, the Bucks hit a season-high 14 shots from the arc, the most since they made a team-record 18 3-pointers in a 132-110 win over Phoenix on March 28 of last season. ... With Milwaukee's win over the Timberwolves on Friday, it ended a seven-game losing streak at the Target Center dating back to March 28, 1999.
st 12-24-06 2:42 et

San Antonio Notes
Dec 24 The Spurs shot a season-high 63 percent (44-of-70) from the floor, including 12-of-16 from the arc. ... C Francisco Elson was the lone starter who did not score in double figures. However, me made all three shots in 24 minutes and finished with six points. ... The Spurs are 16-1 in games when they have scored at least 100 points. ... G Michael Finley scored 12 points, leaving him 33 shy of 15,000 for his career. ... San Antonio has held New Orleans to just 74 second-half points. ... G Tony Parker just missed a double-double with 19 points and nine assists. ... G Jacque Vaughn set a season-high with 11 assists.