PDA

View Full Version : Bucher: Spurs interested in Corey Maggette

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 07:39 PM
ESPN's Ric Bucher was on The Hot List on ESPNEWS this afternoon and stated that the Spurs, Jazz and a third team (can't remember which one, might have been the Heat) are all "very interested" in acquiring the Clippers' Corey Maggette. Bucher mentioned that the sub-.500 Clippers are apprently desperate to shake up their roster (they're inquring with the Kings about Ron Artest) and recognize the fact that Maggette represents their best chip.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaMarcus Bryant
12-26-2006, 07:43 PM
rofl
dont hold ya breath, chum

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Finley+Williams+Udrih for Maggette.

Tobias
12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Keep in mind Maggette is currently disgruntled that hes coming off the bench, which is likely where he'd start for us too.

(Tho he'd be great for small-ball!)

Fabbs
12-26-2006, 07:56 PM
We were not interested in Bonzi at 2.1 mil but now are in MeGetty at 7 mil who is signed thru 09, with a player option (not team) in '08.

Spare me. Soft ballhog who whines when he is asked to play team ball.
Had to be forced into it 2nd half of last season, the Clipps most successful in years.

MeMeMegetty.

usckk
No way will they trade Finley after him signing with us. It would have to be Barry-Udrih-Williams combo.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Manu is always best off the bench. And Brent can play a PG since Beno is no good and SF when White goes back to the D-League. I can see Maggette in the lineup.

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Keep in mind Maggette is currently disgruntled that hes coming off the bench, which is likely where he'd start for us too.
Keep in mind that disgruntlement has a funny way of waning when you go from a team headed for the lottery to a team with the best record in the league.

Dre_7
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
No way they (or anyone else) take Beno. :lol

If they do, they are worse than the Knicks!

dknights411
12-26-2006, 08:20 PM
It's gonna be a hell of a trading deadline!

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Frankly, I don't forsee the Spurs being able to pull off a Maggette trade, at least not without a 3rd team being involved. The Clippers want an "impact player(s)" in return, so that they can hopefully get back in the playoff chase. They don't want expiring contracts, draft picks, rights to players overseas, etc. It would almost have to involve Ginobili, and I don't see the Spurs doing that. Again, likely the only way would be to involve a 3rd team which wants to unload a quality player (contract) and is looking for expiring contracts, etc. in return.

djohn14
12-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't know if it's possible, (mony wise) but if it is would you trade Manu for him?

dknights411
12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know if it's possible, (mony wise) but if it is would you trade Manu for him?

HELL....NO! I'd rather have Manu's intangibles then Magette's talent anyday.

SenorSpur
12-26-2006, 08:43 PM
If the Spurs can acquire Magette without parting with any of the big three (+Bowen), they should do it.

Magette would provide immediate scoring relief, some length and athleticism this team sorely needs.

T-Pain
12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
i love maggette, but i would hate to see anybody on our roster leave for him. i love our current roster right now

T-Pain
12-26-2006, 08:50 PM
If the Spurs can acquire Magette without parting with any of the big three (+Bowen), they should do it.

Magette would provide immediate scoring relief, some length and athleticism this team sorely needs.
i would be pissed if we traded away bowen or finley for maggette, they're not worth it

baseline bum
12-26-2006, 09:01 PM
We were not interested in Bonzi at 2.1 mil but now are in MeGetty at 7 mil who is signed thru 09, with a player option (not team) in '08.

Spare me. Soft ballhog who whines when he is asked to play team ball.
Had to be forced into it 2nd half of last season, the Clipps most successful in years.

MeMeMegetty.

Maggette isn't the cancerous piece of crap that Wells is, and he doesn't need the ball on the block to score. The Clippers are retards for handing Magette's starting job to soft-ass Cuttino Mobley. Maggette's an aggressive player who goes to the line a lot (9.95 attempts a game in 05) and can actually grab a board... not to mention that he' just turned 27, so he's got plenty of years left. Even in 26 minutes a game (WTF is Dunleavy thinking?) he's still putting up 15 per. He's a bit of a China Doll though.

baseline bum
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Eric Williams, Beno Udrih, James White, and the rights to Scola for Maggette and a pick? I don't like trading Udrih though. I'd still much rather have him than Jaque Vaughn backing Parker up.

Finley and Williams for Maggette would save the Clippers $17 million.

Barry for Maggette is an absolute no-go with how well Brent is playing this year.

The Clip-show is definitely about to get screwed in any Maggette deal though. When a player publicly asks for a trade, his team never gets equal value.

SequSpur
12-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Magette blows.

Fillmoe
12-26-2006, 09:17 PM
whens the trade deadline?

xamila rey
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Barry is shotting very well
i wouldnt trade him

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-26-2006, 09:20 PM
It'd be awesome to have a wing player that can rebound and create

T-Pain
12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
whens the trade deadline?
its in mid-Feb.

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Eric Williams, Beno Udrih, James White, and the rights to Scola for Maggette and a pick? I don't like trading Udrih though. I'd still much rather have him than Jaque Vaughn backing Parker up.

Finley and Williams for Maggette would save the Clippers $17 million.

Barry for Maggette is an absolute no-go with how well Brent is playing this year.

The Clip-show is definitely about to get screwed in any Maggette deal though. When a player publicly asks for a trade, his team never gets equal value.
Read my earlier post. The Clippers are NOT interested in expiring contracts or future players. They want talent in return that can help them NOW (ex: Ron Artest).

George Gervin's Afro
12-26-2006, 09:45 PM
In the end Dallas will probably cock block the spurs and pick up maggette

George Gervin's Afro
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Read my earlier post. The Clippers are NOT interested in expiring contracts or future players. They want talent in return that can help them NOW (ex: Ron Artest).

I agree the Clips can get much better players for Maggette than what the Spurs are willing to part with...

SenorSpur
12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Ric Bucher just reported that the Clippers are primarily interested in a Magette-for-Artest deal and are investigating why Artest "wore out his welcome" so fact in Sacto.

He went onto say that if such a trade falls through, the Clips are intent on "shaking up their roster" to bring in immediate help. He said that a number of teams (Spurs included) have indicated their interest in Magette. He confirned the Spurs have offered up Brent Barry via trade for Magette.

I know Barry is shooting "lights out", but I'd do this deal in a nano-second.

spurschick
12-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Why am I suddenly concerned about the sudden outbreak of "flu-like symptoms"?

BUMP
12-26-2006, 10:26 PM
good deal but where would you put him? would you go

C Duncan
PF Magette
SF Bowen
SG Manu
PG Parker

or....

C Elson
PF Duncan
SF Magette
SG Manu
PG Parker

or....

C Elson
PF Duncan
SF Bowen
SG Magette
PG Parker

or just bring him off the bench?

Nikos
12-26-2006, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't mind Maggette. Imagine a Bowen, Manu, Maggette swingman unit. Excellent defense and offense. Plus Maggette has been a decent rebounder in a few seasons. But I doubt the Clippers would give the Spurs Corey for at least Ginobili.

timvp
12-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I'd trade Barry for Maggette in a second. Barry is playing pretty good but he's not a playoff player and the Spurs need a perimeter player who can grab a rebound.

Nikos
12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
You really think there is a chance in hell the Clippers would just take Barry for Maggette?

timvp
12-26-2006, 10:36 PM
You really think there is a chance in hell the Clippers would just take Barry for Maggette?

Not just Barry. Then again, would you really think there is a chance in hell the Sixers would just take Andre Miller for Iverson?

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 10:36 PM
good deal but where would you put him?

or just bring him off the bench?

6th Man.

SenorSpur
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM

Well, Bucher did say that the Clips need help now and they do new a shooter - especially in the wake of losing Radmonivic. Barry would provide outside shooting and off-the-bench production.

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't mind Maggette. Imagine a Bowen, Manu, Maggette swingman unit. Excellent defense and offense.
Actually Maggette is a below-average defender, and his defense is precisely what has gotten him in Mike Dunleavy's dog house.

Nikos
12-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Not just Barry. Then again, would you really think there is a chance in hell the Sixers would just take Andre Miller for Iverson?

I hope your 100% right.

Maggette on this team could make them the best offensive team in the league if he gels. If the Spurs had Maggette then either he or Manu could be the 6MOY, with the other being a 16+ppg scorer on high efficiency. With solid rebounding and defense.

The team would be ridiculous. Maggette wouldn't even have to play heavy minutes either. So his chances of staying healthy would probably be greater.

Pipe dream though it seems.

Fabbs
12-26-2006, 10:40 PM
I'd trade Barry for Maggette in a second. Barry is playing pretty good but he's not a playoff player and the Spurs need a perimeter player who can grab a rebound.
I'm comparing playoff stats and just drooling over MeGetty.

SenorSpur
12-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I hope it happens. This would be a much better trade than last years failed Barry-for-J.R. Smith trade.

timvp
I hope your 100% right.

Maggette on this team could make them the best offensive team in the league if he gels. If the Spurs had Maggette then either he or Manu could be the 6MOY, with the other being a 16+ppg scorer on high efficiency. With solid rebounding and defense.

The team would be ridiculous. Maggette wouldn't even have to play heavy minutes either. So his chances of staying healthy would probably be greater.

Pipe dream though it seems.

Yeah, I'd put the chances of it happening at around 3%. And that might be high.

Most likely, the Clippers are just floating out the Spurs' name to get other teams interested.

Nikos
Actually Maggette is a below-average defender, and his defense is precisely what has gotten him in Mike Dunleavy's dog house.

He would be fine as a Spur. As long as he rebounds he will fit right in. Its not like Manu is playing awesome man defense this year. Either way, the Spurs bigs face the most possesions over the course of the season, along with Bowen. The defense will not skip a beat just because Maggette enters the system. Maggettes offense will help the team also in a sense, that they don't have to rely on just the Big three. So they may have more energy for defense.

Steve-O-Matic
The Spurs would need to include another player (likely Bonner's expiring contract) to make the salaries match, but yes, the Clippers want/need a shooter in return who can help them right away, and there would be some intangible gains for the Clips in that deal as well. I don't think its "likely," but I don't think it would be out of the question, either.

spurschick
12-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Tomorrow could be an interesting day.

SenorSpur
12-26-2006, 10:44 PM
One thing is clear - the Clips absolutely MUST move Magette. Probably won't be to S.A., but some team will get a fine player.

Manu20
12-26-2006, 10:45 PM
How about Barry+Oberto for Maggette. :drunk

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 10:45 PM
He would be fine as a Spur. As long as he rebounds he will fit right in.

That's a convenient way of dismissing the issue, but I think its a little more complicated than that. The bottom line is that Maggette is not much of a defender (to say the least), and he's not going to suddenly acquire that ability just because he plays for the San Antonio Spurs.

spurschick
12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
The bottom line is that Maggette is not much of a defender (to say the least), and he's not going to suddenly acquire that ability just because he plays for the San Antonio Spurs.

And apparantly being a Spur for a while doesn't mean you maintain the ability to defend either.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 10:50 PM
He could if he adapts to the system.

Steve-O-Matic
12-26-2006, 10:50 PM
How about Barry+Oberto for Maggette. :drunk
I wouldn't do that deal and I KNOW the Spurs wouldn't.

Spurminator
12-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Maggette is the perfect 4 for Pop's small ball lineups. He may not be much of a defender, but we don't play defense when we go small anyway. Maybe we'd at least be able to grab a few extra boards.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Omitting my trade in page 1, the only trade I see them taking is either Barry+Bonner or Finley+Williams.

Man Mountain
12-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Doesn't Maggette's contract go through 08-09? I think that's why the Spurs wouldn't trade for him. It seems like they have been clearing cap space for the summer of 08.

T Park
12-26-2006, 11:12 PM
If they want players that help now,

Brent Barry comes to mind.

They would prob want Udrih too, future backup to Livingston.

VaSpursFan
12-26-2006, 11:14 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing maggette on the roster. he's aggressive and attacks the basket, putting pressure on defenses and he can hit free throws.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 11:15 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing maggette on the roster. he's aggressive and attacks the basket, putting pressure on defenses and he can hit free throws.
:tu

dg7md
12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I think Bowen's time as a starter is up. He just can't keep up with a lot of the explosive scorers. We NEED someone like Maggette. Maggette would definitely be the starting forward.

baseline bum
12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Doesn't Maggette's contract go through 08-09? I think that's why the Spurs wouldn't trade for him. It seems like they have been clearing cap space for the summer of 08.

Who gives a shit about cap space? The Spurs already screwed the pooch once when they passed on Josh Howard and traded Leandro Barbosa to save cap-room for Kidd. If they couldn't sign anyone decent coming off a championship with a young core and Tim Duncan playing the best basketball of his life, how are they going to convince anyone to come in 2 years? The Spurs desperately need to get someone to replace Bruce, because he's not going to be able to play starter's minutes forever.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
No, but they would more than likely get the same amount of time.

T Park
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Barry Williams and Udrih probobly for Maggette and filler.

Id do that trade so fast their heads would spin.

Start Maggette, bring Ginobili off the bench.

One problem solved.

Then try and acquire Theo Ratliff.

ducks
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I would offer scola and barry for him

timvp
12-26-2006, 11:19 PM

Trading for a player that is injured and out for the season would be the ultimate CIA Pop move.

:smokin

Fabbs
12-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Surely they would take Finley for Magette.
Or would the Clippers have to thrown in Elton Brand also?

dg7md
12-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know if I'd like to see Finley leave, even with how Barry is playing now I think Finley is the safer pick to keep.

Barry/Williams/Udrih for Maggette would be a great trade for us.

Hell, Barry's value skyrocketed.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Contracts dont match.

T Park
12-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Trading for a player that is injured and out for the season would be the ultimate CIA Pop move

Someone of his ilk.

Get someone 6'10 that can block a shot.

No way this goes down.

Im sure itll be Maggette for Artest.

Then people will bitch their heads off at the Spurs for not getting Maggette.

T Park
12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Surely they would take Finley for Magette

Contracts don't match, and you don't fuck around guys who take less money to play here.

LIke Finley did for the Spurs over the HEat.

Wake up little girl.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-26-2006, 11:29 PM
I think that was sarcasm.

phxspurfan
12-26-2006, 11:39 PM
think the Spurs can pry Jumaine Jones from the Suns via a 3+ team deal with some other team and the Clippers (where the other team gets Maggette)? I doubt we will get somebody as high-profile as Corey but I think we are in some kind of talks.

ShoogarBear
12-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Hmmm, and Manu and Barry and Bonner sat out tonight's game?

:spin

timvp
12-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Sad stat of the day:

If the Spurs got Maggette, his 5.5 rebounds per game would place him second on the team in rebounds. And he's a backup guard on the Clippers.

:pctoss

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 12:04 AM
That's why we need him.

gospursgojas
12-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Maggette + Spurs = Derick Anderson + SPurs

Fabbs
12-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Contracts don't match, and you don't fuck around guys who take less money to play here.

LIke Finley did for the Spurs over the HEat.
FinSniffer,
You and the TPark Crue of Chump and Manny have got to be the only Threesome who think Finley and his combined 19 million a year is such a favor to the Spurs, thus he is deserving of unending loyalty and cannot be traded no matter how much it might help the Spurs.

Along with you washing, drying and folding his and Pops shorts and bed linens. Ewwww.

T Park
12-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Fabbs, either bring basketball takes, or STFU.

Your act is beyond old child.

Maggette + Spurs = Derick Anderson + SPurs

Maggette is twice the player Derrick Anderson ever was.

Phenomanul
12-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Derek?

baseline bum
12-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Barry Williams and Udrih probobly for Maggette and filler.

Id do that trade so fast their heads would spin.

Start Maggette, bring Ginobili off the bench.

One problem solved.

Barry and Udrih would be enough to match Maggette's salary. I wouldn't make the move though, because you just traded a proven commodity in Barry who is really producing this year, and you lose your two best backup points.

Kori Ellis
12-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Barry and Udrih would be enough to match Maggette's salary. I wouldn't make the move though, because you just traded a proven commodity in Barry who is really producing this year, and you lose your two best backup points.

Yeah I don't think they would trade Barry and Udrih at this stage, unless they were getting a PG back.

T Park
12-27-2006, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't make the move though

You'd be nuts.

Udrih is worthless.

Maggette >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barry

Maggette would solve alot of problems.

You start Maggette and bring Ginobili off the bench.

Fix some rebounding problems, fix some bench scoring problems.

Just would need to address a shotblocking bigman, then off to the playoffs you go.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 12:56 AM
I think they would accept Barry+Bonner. Or Finley+Bonner+cash.

regio
12-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Barry+ Bonner matches maggette's salary, and I think it could actually be attractive to the clippers because both shoot 3s

Darkwaters
12-27-2006, 01:49 AM
I would offer scola and barry for him

Theres no way they'd want Scola. Kaman and Brand are playing great (at least they were last year) and they have a young greek center named Sofoklis Schortsanitis (remember him from the worlds?) that they drafted a few years ago. The Clips want 3 point shooting, and now.

dg7md
12-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Barry+ Bonner matches maggette's salary, and I think it could actually be attractive to the clippers because both shoot 3s

Yeah, Clips would love that. Also they'd probably like to have Barry back.

I love Barry, I do, but Maggette would be so much better.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 05:22 AM
How exactly would any of these trades benefit the Los Angeles Clippers?

Bruno
12-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Theres no way they'd want Scola. Kaman and Brand are playing great (at least they were last year) and they have a young greek center named Sofoklis Schortsanitis (remember him from the worlds?) that they drafted a few years ago. The Clips want 3 point shooting, and now.

Big Sofo has a lot of conditioning problems.
He has some difficulties to get PT in euroleague because of that. It will be even more difficult for him in nba where the pace is faster.

Clippers have Tim Thomes, I don't think they are really interested in Bonner.
To me, Spurs best package is : Barry+Williams+Scola+07 first round pick for Maggette+Korolev.
I think that Clippers can get a better deal from another team and when I see how strong is the 07 draft, I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up the pick.

If the deal happen, I would start Maggette at SF and Bowen at SG with manu playing 30mpg from the bench.

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 10:16 AM
To me, Spurs best package is : Barry+Williams+Scola+07 first round pick for Maggette+Korolev.

That would be pissing away every single one of the Spurs' assets in one blow, all for a dubious commodity. I'd think there's a 0% chance of doing this. If you're saying that's their 'best' package, as in, "yeah, one they'd never offer," then you're right, but no way would they give up more than two of those things to get Maggette.

nkdlunch
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
For the ppl talking about trading either of the big 3 or bowen or Barry, dream on. The Spurs office is not that stupid.

GrandeDavid
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Well, we are talking about Donald Sterling. Maybe he reverts back to his old ways of being the Charley Casserly of the NBA. :lol

Okay, I know, ain't happenin'.

SAGambler
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Surely you jest? You want to give up what is argueably the best all around player on the team, for a disgruntled player from another team?

What world do you live in?

Fabbs
12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Finley would guarantee a title for Phx as he did here in San Antone.
Brand would give the Spurs better rebounding, altho he is no Fins when it comes to D and scoring.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Finley+Beno+Bonner for Maggette.
C ELSON/OBERTO/BUTLER
PF DUNCAN/HORRY
SF BOWEN/WILLIAMS
SG MAGGETTE/MANU
PG TONY/BARRY/VAUGHN
IR1 WHITE(Send him back to Austin.)

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Maggette????

Oferated.

TDMVPDPOY
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
what we need is a rebounder, not another wing player...

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
what we need is a rebounder, not another wing player...
5.3 rebs a game by a SG is great considering that both our centers are averaging 5.1 apiece.

George Gervin's Afro
12-27-2006, 01:18 PM

They don't..

Pero
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Finley would guarantee a title for Phx as he did here in San Antone.
Brand would give the Spurs better rebounding, altho he is no Fins when it comes to D and scoring.

Are you drunk???? What`s Phoenix got to do with it? What title??? Brand to the spurs????

:lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Barry, Bonner, and a draft pick....

Barry is shooting well this year but anyone who wouldn't take Maggette over Barry is sniffing too much silver and black glue.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing in favor of keeping Barry if we could get Maggette for him, but I'm tired of giving away our draft picks.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Barry is shooting well this year but anyone who wouldn't take Maggette over Barry is sniffing too much silver and black glue.Elgin Baylor sniffs glue?

Steve-O-Matic
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing in favor of keeping Barry if we could get Maggette for him, but I'm tired of giving away our draft picks.
Fear not. The Spurs traded away their 2006 1st round pick to the Knicks in the Malik/Nazr trade, so they CAN'T trade their 2007 #1 in advance of the draft unless they acquire someone else's 2007 #1 first.

Bruno
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Fear not. The Spurs traded away their 2006 1st round pick to the Knicks in the Malik/Nazr trade, so they CAN'T trade their 2007 #1 in advance of the draft unless they acquire someone else's 2007 #1 first.

They can. You can't trade consecutives future first round picks.

Steve-O-Matic
12-27-2006, 03:22 PM
You're right, my mistake.

itzsoweezee
12-27-2006, 05:04 PM
not gonna happen. kings can trade artest for maggette straight up.

spurs are going to have to make do with what they've got. and the players they've got are good enough to win a championship. unfortunately, what the spurs have got coaching those players isn't good enough for a championship.

jbspurs
12-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I don't like the idea of trading Barry..

We need this guy come playoff time, He is a great shooter, smart player and still dangerous.

IMO.. Finley, Bonner and Scola for Maggette.

Why Finley? Because, I don't like he's defense, jumpshot no longer consistent, and I don't like a player who does fadeaway shooting 3's.

T Park
12-28-2006, 02:54 AM
I don't like a player who does fadeaway shooting 3's.

Would love for you to post the video of him ever shooting a fade away three.

More unfounded baseless bullcrap.

Finley in the playoffs last year, STEPPED UP.

Barry, did his usual BS and stepped aside.

If you think, hes gonna step up, your gonna have a long wait pal.

gospursgojas
12-28-2006, 04:16 AM
OMG

He's not going to be a Spur....

get over it already

All you people are expecting a major trade from the FO that brought in the likes of Bonner, and Eric Williams.

Besides if the Clips can get a Ron Artest out of this trade, how attractive do Barry and Bonner look.

Bruno
12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-cliprep28dec28,1,5094924.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

Other than a potential Artest-Maggette deal, the Clippers haven't been overwhelmed with the players teams have proposed offering for Maggette

If the Clippers were only building for the future, they might move Maggette for some of the young players teams have supposedly made available in exchange for the seven-year veteran.

The Clippers, however, are focused on the present.

Despite their disappointing 12-16 start, the Clippers said they still expect to qualify for the Western Conference playoffs.

The Clippers want a productive veteran for Maggette, preferably an efficient long-range shooter who has a high basketball IQ. But is Maggette's trade value high enough to help the Clippers acquire a difference-maker?

Streakyshooter08
12-28-2006, 06:11 AM
"The Clippers want a productive veteran for Maggette, preferably an efficient long-range shooter who has a high basketball IQ. But is Maggette's trade value high enough to help the Clippers acquire a difference-maker?"

Brent Barry+X? ;)

AFBlue
12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Why Finley? Because, I don't like he's defense, jumpshot no longer consistent, and I don't like a player who does fadeaway shooting 3's.

Good assessment, but then why would the Clippers be willing to take him back instead of Barry? They have eyes too; they can see what you see!

AFBlue
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Besides if the Clips can get a Ron Artest out of this trade, how attractive do Barry and Bonner look.

But if they can't get Ron Artest, and Petrie seems to be posturing for the Kings to get more than just Maggette for Artest, it's pretty clear that level of offers dips quite a bit.

I still think it's a long-shot that the Spurs land Maggette, but with a currently overvalued Barry (won't shoot over 50% on threes for the year), an undervalued Maggette (starting-quality bench player), the strength of the 2007 draft class, and the Spurs holding 3 or possible 4 overall draft picks.....it's not inconceivable.

On a side note, Barry and Bonner are no "Brad Pitt", but they're still pretty attractive. I am a sucker for red hair though...

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Evasive Petrie downplays talk of Artest trade
He won't talk about deal speculation but says the forward's outlook is fine.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, December 28, 2006

Despite a report claiming the Kings could be days from trading Ron Artest to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette, all indications are that the deal will not go down.

And while Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie would not discuss the potential trade for Maggette that was reported in the Los Angeles Times, he did speak of Artest as if he weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

"His happiness level is fine," Petrie said before the Kings faced Philadelphia on Wednesday night at Arco Arena. "He has a very large performance bank account. A lot of people have forgotten what it was like around here before he got here.

"I guess you could sum (the trade talk) up this way. It's a lot of noise, mostly white noise, like when a hen oodles -- wow, lays an egg -- and it makes a sound like it made a meteor."

The Artest situation has continued to escalate as the Kings have continued to slump. His happiness level has come into serious question, not only for the present but the larger question of whether he wants to be in Sacramento at all.

Asked about Artest's locker room impact and any potential influence on teammates, Petrie said: "He has some esoteric qualities. A lot of people do."

As for whether Artest has approached management with a desire to be traded, Petrie would only say, "That's a hypothetical question that you're going to have to save."

Miller move -- When newly acquired 76ers point guard Andre Miller was traded last week from Denver to Philadelphia, there was disappointment beyond anything relating to X's and O's.

Miller, who grew up in Los Angeles and lives in El Dorado Hills in the offseason, knew that playing in the Eastern Conference meant fewer visits home.

"I'm further away, but that's a part of business," said Miller, who was part of the deal bringing Allen Iverson to the Nuggets. "But everything's good. It's going to take some time, but it'll be all right."

He had a small group of family members attending Wednesday's game, including one woman who comes to Arco Arena even when Miller isn't in town. His aunt, Marsha, is a Maloof Sports & Entertainment employee, a friendly face who welcomes cars into the parking lot on game nights, checks in media members and made no secret about her desire for the Kings to put her nephew in purple.

Webber in town -- Chris Webber sat at his locker, his lap full of tickets and his lips moving as he triple-checked whether he had enough for the whole lot.

The former Kings forward said 30 tickets was enough to satisfy his inner circle. All of them were surely glad to see Webber on the floor, as he missed four games from Dec. 15-22 because of an ankle injury. While he said before the game he felt healthy, Webber played limited minutes against the Kings after playing just 13 minutes Tuesday.

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/99559.html

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
jbspurs Why Finley? Because, I don't like he's defense, jumpshot no longer consistent, and I don't like a player who does fadeaway shooting 3's.

Good assessment, but then why would the Clippers be willing to take him back instead of Barry? They have eyes too; they can see what you see!
Because the Clipps saw how much he STEPPED UP in the playoffs, didn't they?
We should go for Elton Brand and Livingston for Finley, altho the Clips should also add Magette and Kaman to the trade.

Pero
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
:lmao
Are you for real? :lol

Mr. Body
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd be somewhat surprised to see the Artest-Maggette trade go down. Would Sacto give up the clearly better player simply because he's not all there? It'd be hard to swallow Maggette's reduced impact after Artest's promise, and for their part, I can't see LAC offering any more to get a risky guy like Artest. It could get to an impasse, in which case secondary offers may be reviewed. Not saying the Spurs have what it takes, but to me it's just as likely Maggs goes somewhere else. He'll go somewhere, at least.

timvp
12-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Usually I don't buy the hype on these in-season trades since it seems that they never materialize but the more I look at Maggette, the more I like the idea.

He's a very good rebounder for his size, which is something to Spurs desperately need. In last year's playoffs, he averaged 7.3 rebounds in 24 minutes per game. He's currently averaging more rebounds than anyone on the Spurs outside of Tim Duncan.

Offensively, he's not much of a shooter but he has one great skill -- getting to the free throw line. And with how the rules are setup now, that's a great quality to have. A couple seasons ago, he went to the free throw line 10 times per contest. That's more than Duncan has ever gone to the line and more than Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker combined.

Last year in the playoffs, it became a battle of free throws. Nowitzki and Wade basically held a free throw shooting contest in the finals. As long as the rules are like that, Maggette is a guy to have. He gets to the line as well as almost anyone in the league and can knock them down at a high rate.

You would never be able to buy him as low as you could get him for right now. He's a 27-year-old player with dynamic skills who has a chance to get even better. If the Spurs can get him without giving up any of the Big Three, I'd do it in a second.

Of course, there are drawbacks. He's a bit of a whiner, has a history of being a china doll and has never been known for his defense. He'd also probably not be happy if the Spurs traded for him and decided to bring him off the bench.

But the good news is the Spurs should have inside knowledge on whether Maggette is Spurs material or not. Back before Chip Engelland was hired by the Spurs, he was Maggette's personal shooting coach. He helped transform Maggette from a guy who couldn't hit a jumper in college, to a guy who became an NBA three-point threat. (However, since Engelland has been hired by the Spurs, Maggette's three-point shooting has regressed. Perhaps that'd be another reason why Maggette would welcome a trade to San Antonio.)

Overall, this would be a very good opportunity for the Spurs. They can get a perimeter player who can rebound and get to the free throw line for well below market value. The Spurs also have inside knowledge on his character. Plus, trading away Brent Barry now would be selling him high.

Barry + Udrih + Picks = Maggette
Barry + Bonner + Picks = Maggette

I'd do either of those trades in a heartbeat.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Do the clipps have a backup pg they could send the Spurs?

timvp
12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Do the clipps have a backup pg they could send the Spurs?

Not really. Unless you consider Daniel Ewing an improvement over Beno.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Is he?

timvp
12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Is he?

No. He's just a friend of Mike Dunleavy, Jr. who pops decided to let play in the NBA.

Mr. Body
12-28-2006, 03:37 PM
He's a very good rebounder for his size, which is something to Spurs desperately need. In last year's playoffs, he averaged 7.3 rebounds in 24 minutes per game. He's currently averaging more rebounds than anyone on the Spurs outside of Tim Duncan.

Offensively, he's not much of a shooter but he has one great skill -- getting to the free throw line. And with how the rules are setup now, that's a great quality to have. A couple seasons ago, he went to the free throw line 10 times per contest. That's more than Duncan has ever gone to the line and more than Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker combined.

Anything to get some of those rebounds out of Josh Howard's hands. Howard can single-handedly wreck the Spurs' chances at a trophy this year.

Getting to the freethrow line that often is impressive. I haven't seen him play much, so don't know how he does it, but he must have an amazing ability to get people in foul trouble. Or at least scatter some fouls across a front line. He also hits them at an amazing clip, 80% or so IIRC.

Here's hoping Pop and Co. are in the Clippers' ear subtly poisoning the idea of acquiring Artest in support of their trade package.

George Gervin's Afro
12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Maggie (LA) California: Do you see this possible Artest-Maggette trade taking place?

Chris Sheridan: (3:11 PM ET ) There are a lot of other proposals coming the Clippers' way, and I get the impression from my sources in Sacramento that the Kings want to give the Artest situation some time to cool down. I'd expect they'll reassess their status after their upcoming homestand, and Maggette might be gone from L.A. by the time that homestand ends. Right now I think the Heat might have the edge, but I wouldn't discount the Spurs, who are working under the radar to make a move, and I wouldn't discount the Rockets if Maggette is still in Los Angeles on Jan. 5, which is when Bonzi Wells can be traded.

First Bucher and now Sheridan...it looks as though we are very interested..

Spurminator
12-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I bet it's a scare tactic. But it's certainly enticing.

timvp
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Too good to be true

Yeah, that's what I think. Adding Maggette to this team would be sick. You can solve a lot of the rebounding problems while adding a player who goes to the line as much as David Robinson in his prime. And you can get all that out of a shooting guard.

Mr. Body
12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd expect they'll reassess their status after their upcoming homestand, and Maggette might be gone from L.A. by the time that homestand ends.

That homestand for Sacramento ends Jan. 9, so they must expect him moved very soon.

I wonder what package the Heat could possibly put together.

timvp
12-28-2006, 04:29 PM
That homestand for Sacramento ends Jan. 9, so they must expect him moved very soon.

I wonder what package the Heat could possibly put together.

I'm guessing the centerpiece would be Dorrel Wright. If so, the Clippers would be dumb not to take it.

Then again they are saying they want a veteran in return. And they are still the Clippers.

George Gervin's Afro
12-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing the centerpiece would be Dorrel Wright. If so, the Clippers would be dumb not to take it.

Then again they are saying they want a veteran in return. And they are still the Clippers.

Your right..the Clippers will find someway to screw up the deal..

timvp
12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
James Posey and Wright for Maggette works out. Posey is an expiring contract and fits the "high IQ" part of the wish list. Although, he's more of a defender than he is a shooter.

If I'm the Clippers, I take that offer from the Heat over what the Spurs can offer. But if you believe that they really want a good outside shooter with a high basketball IQ, few players in the league fit that description better than Barry.

Mr. Body
12-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Also... the shakiness of their point guard situation. With Cassell down, Barry is promising as a back-up point in stints. The Clippers are such a mess right now, they may care to see a glue guy come in with a stronger and more accomodating personality than a young guy still trying to earn his stripes.

I'm grasping at straws. More than likely LAC punts Maggette across the country rather than strengthen a conference foe, if Artest falls through.

Bob Lanier
12-28-2006, 04:37 PM
an efficient long-range shooter who has a high basketball IQ
In other words, the exact opposite of Corey Maggette.

But he would make your team better in the games he didn't make it worse, if Pop plays him.

Mr. Body
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I guess you could sum (the trade talk) up this way. It's a lot of noise, mostly white noise, like when a hen oodles -- wow, lays an egg -- and it makes a sound like it made a meteor."

What the hell is Petrie on?

timvp
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't really see what the Rockets could offer to entice the Clippers. It'd have to something like Bonzi and Juwan Howard or Bonzi, Sura and Padgett.

Actually, the team that makes the most sense could be the Raptors. Morris Peterson, Kris Humphries and Joey Graham or Mo Pete and Jose Calderon both make sense for the Clippers.

I'm sure the Spurs have their bid out to the Clippers, but I highly doubt the Clippers bite. They won't want to help a team they could see in the playoffs. Plus historically, the Spurs and Clippers have never been able to work together.

Over the last 15 years, the Spurs have been in countless negotiations with the Clippers and have never struck a deal.

Bruno
12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't think Heat will trade Wright for Maggette : they are really high on him.
I guess that Heat trade should be Posey + some incentives (draft pick, Wayne Simien).

A package around Posey is more atractive than a package around Barry.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Would love for you to post the video of him ever shooting a fade away three.

More unfounded baseless bullcrap.

Finley in the playoffs last year, STEPPED UP.

Barry, did his usual BS and stepped aside.

If you think, hes gonna step up, your gonna have a long wait pal.

I don't have videos. But, I've seen tons of times. Remember that last second play against Dallas? He didn't get the call because He started to shoot a fadeaway instead of getting a foul and shoot 3 from the line.... Manu is a good example, when he sees somebody jump to block his shot he'll initiate contact and get the points from the line. Thats smart basketball!!!

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Because the Clipps saw how much he STEPPED UP in the playoffs, didn't they?
We should go for Elton Brand and Livingston for Finley, altho the Clips should also add Magette and Kaman to the trade.

Finley, sky rocketed his value after shooting slump.. LOL!!!

T Park
12-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Remember that last second play against Dallas? He didn't get the call because He started to shoot a fadeaway instead of getting a foul and shoot 3 from the line

Wrong again.

I don't have videos. But, I've seen tons of times

In other words, pulling it out of your ass.

Manu is a good example, when he sees somebody jump to block his shot he'll initiate contact and get the points from the line. Thats smart basketball!!!
Offline | Online

[QUOTE]

Wich is what Finley did vs Dallas but didn't get the call.

Don't let the hate get in the way of the facts sport.

T Park
12-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Too good to be true again.

Puting Maggette on this team fixes alot of problems.

You could also start Maggette and bring Ginobili off the bench...

Another way the team would get better.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Quote:

Remember that last second play against Dallas? He didn't get the call because He started to shoot a fadeaway instead of getting a foul and shoot 3 from the line

Wrong again.

Maybe you just don't know what fadeaway lookslike!

I don't have videos. But, I've seen tons of times

In other words, pulling it out of your ass.
Maybe your just blind...

Quote:

Manu is a good example, when he sees somebody jump to block his shot he'll initiate contact and get the points from the line. Thats smart basketball!!!
Offline | Online

[QUOTE]Wich is what Finley did vs Dallas but didn't get the call.Yeah, he got hit and didn't get a call. But, you know he did shoot a fadeaway?

Don't let the hate get in the way of the facts sport.
I don't hate on anybody that includes you!!

Kori Ellis
12-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Why are you guys' quotes so messed up?! Just post instead of quoting :lol

T Park
12-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, he got hit and didn't get a call. But, you know he did shoot a fadeaway?

leaning forward constitutes a fadeaway?? More basketball genius.

Maybe you just don't know what fadeaway lookslike!

Been watching basketball for 20 years, no idea, right :rolleyes

Maybe your just blind...

Im not blind smartass.

I've been watching Michael Finley since he first came into the league with Phoenix.

The only time he shoots a fade away, is when he posts up, fakes right and goes left.

Thats it.

Hes never, ever shot fade away three pointers.

carib
12-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Wake me up when the Spurs make a trade, we don't do trades, or when was the last time we made a good trade.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:18 AM

tell me how many times?

MannyIsGod
12-29-2006, 01:20 AM
This thread pisses me off because it seems to damn good to be true. :(

Kori Ellis
12-29-2006, 01:23 AM
You can't post NBA video here but Finley fades away on occasion just like everyone else. And sometimes it's on 3's.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah, he got hit and didn't get a call. But, you know he did shoot a fadeaway?

leaning forward constitutes a fadeaway?? More basketball genius.

What do I expect from somebody who idolized a point guard who can't cross halfcourt line when pressured...LOL

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:25 AM
You can't post NBA video here but Finley fades away on occasion just like everyone else. And sometimes it's on 3's.

Thank you!!!LOL!!

T Park
12-29-2006, 01:31 AM
What do I expect from somebody who idolized a point guard who can't cross halfcourt line when pressured

I seriously, seriously hope your not talking to me.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Been watching basketball for 20 years, no idea, right :rolleyes

Yup, you can watch all you want, but if you don't know anything about the game then you might not have the idea... :blah Happy New Year to you my friend!!

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:35 AM
I seriously, seriously hope your not talking to me.

What do you think?

Pero
12-29-2006, 01:41 AM
What do I expect from somebody who idolized a point guard who can't cross halfcourt line when pressured...LOL

Wow dude, you don`t read the forum much do you?!?! :lmao

Pero
12-29-2006, 01:43 AM
What do you think?

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Tpark is like among the bigest Beno haters out there. :lmao

T Park
12-29-2006, 01:43 AM
What do you think?

i think your mentally challenged if you think i idolize him....

Pero
12-29-2006, 01:44 AM
:lmao This is just too funny. :lmao

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:50 AM

OK SARCASM! I didn't know sorry man!! just found out!!

then for the person who Idolized finley who can no longer shoot!!!lol

Kori Ellis
12-29-2006, 01:51 AM

That's a little harsh. If someone just read your (joke) title, then how would they know? Many people don't read all the posts here.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 01:54 AM
That's a little harsh. If someone just read your (joke) title, then how would they know? Many people don't read all the posts here.

HAHA! KORI GOT MY BACK!! :lol

Don't worry it's all good... What do you expect from a person who follows Finley back from Phoenix days!!! :blah

THE SIXTH MAN
12-29-2006, 02:00 AM
HAHA! KORI GOT MY BACK!! :lol

Don't worry it's all good... What do you expect from a person who follows Finley back from Phoenix days!!! :blah
n00b....

Anyways back on topic, I'm glad to hear that the spurs are interested in him. Anybody outside the big three and Bruce is expandable to fill this need at the three spot.

jbspurs
12-29-2006, 02:02 AM
n00b.... so...

Anyways back on topic, I'm glad to hear that the spurs are interested in him. Anybody outside the big three and Bruce is expandable to fill this need at the three spot.

Pero
12-29-2006, 04:22 AM
You could use Nick van Exel instead. :lol

venitian navigator
12-29-2006, 05:05 AM
The chances of a trade with the clips, imho, are limited to these :
1) Udrih + Barry for maggette

or, in case the clips (like supposedly, is) want to get rid of Cassell

2) Udrih + Barry + Bonner + E. Williams for Cassell + Maggette

They both work for real gm trade checker.

The second one could give to both teams what they need (Cassell, when healty - now is injured but I don't know if is a real bad one or just a false one- is too much of a presence for the good development of Livingston) : a young, decent, pm backing up Livingston (Udrih), outside shooters, with experience (Barry and Bonner) and expiring contracts (Bonner, E. Will) or short ones (Barry, Udrih).

Cassell, in our team, could maybe accept his new role of back up and be a good weapon out the bench...

whattabout ?

Bruno
12-29-2006, 06:34 AM
The chances of a trade with the clips, imho, are limited to these :
1) Udrih + Barry for maggette

or, in case the clips (like supposedly, is) want to get rid of Cassell

2) Udrih + Barry + Bonner + E. Williams for Cassell + Maggette

They both work for real gm trade checker.

The second one could give to both teams what they need (Cassell, when healty - now is injured but I don't know if is a real bad one or just a false one- is too much of a presence for the good development of Livingston) : a young, decent, pm backing up Livingston (Udrih), outside shooters, with experience (Barry and Bonner) and expiring contracts (Bonner, E. Will) or short ones (Barry, Udrih).

Cassell, in our team, could maybe accept his new role of back up and be a good weapon out the bench...

whattabout ?

I don't think that Clippers want to trade Cassell.

A trade for Maggette will likely have this structure : Barry + a player to match Maggette salary + incentives.

The player to match Maggette salary can be Bonner, Udrih, Williams (Clippers should add Korolev in this case) or Butler. Clippers won't see in them more than a trade filler : Bonner won't play with Tim Thomas, Udrih will be their 3rd string PG... among these 4 players, I rather trade Williams who is the less usefull player. I don't think Spurs should trade Udrih because they will need his shooting after trading a shooter (Barry) for a slasher (Maggette). I'd like to keep Bonner too because Horry's risk to have an injury are quite high at his age.

Incentives can be : first round pick, rights to Scola, second round pick ....
I guess that Clippers will ask at least for Spurs 07 first round pick.

Streakyshooter08
12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Barry+Williams+ 1st round Pick for Maggette and Korolev would be awesome....

Mr. Body
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Do we really want to give up next year's draft pick? I'd think the Spurs would balk at putting up the 2007 pick, which is bound to find decent players still on the board that late, and is a pick we vitally need to inject some youth into this team.

How about a future first?

AFBlue
12-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Do we really want to give up next year's draft pick? I'd think the Spurs would balk at putting up the 2007 pick, which is bound to find decent players still on the board that late, and is a pick we vitally need to inject some youth into this team.

Yeah, even though Maggette would be an improvement, I'd be wary of giving up 2007 draft picks. Even a late first rounder and 2 or 3 seconds could net the Spurs some real quality players and future contributors. There also exists the possibility of packaging picks and players to move up in the draft and get a lottery-type talent.

Mr. Body
12-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, even though Maggette would be an improvement, I'd be wary of giving up 2007 draft picks. Even a late first rounder and 2 or 3 seconds could net the Spurs some real quality players and future contributors. There also exists the possibility of packaging picks and players to move up in the draft and get a lottery-type talent.

I don't really see a late 2007 first round pick putting a Brent Barry(+) package over the top of any other team. Is Barry+2007 pick going to overwhelm Dorrel Wright+(something)? No, the Spurs' chances revolve more around whether better packages drop out of sight. Also, whether the Clips recognize that Barry could really help their team immediately. Of course, he could, but the exchange of talent and potential is clearly not equitable.

If I were LAC I'd just ride it out until Sacto decides to trade Artest. There's no quick fix until the deadline that will turn their team around. They already have the pieces there.

AFBlue
12-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't really see a late 2007 first round pick putting a Brent Barry(+) package over the top of any other team. Is Barry+2007 pick going to overwhelm Dorrel Wright+(something)?

Well Barry is proven, unlike Wright, but I see your point about how weak the Spurs' overall package would be.

As is, I don't see anything happening, and my point was that I'd probably be in favor of SA keeping the picks for the potential long-term gain.

Mr. Body
12-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Me too. I don't want to trade first round picks away.

AFBlue
12-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Me too. I don't want to trade first round picks away.

It's a bit too early to speculate, but I get all giddy when I look at the Top 100 prospects listed on ESPN. There are so real solid players that could fall right into the Spurs' laps.

Matter of fact...I think I'll go do that right now. ;)

Bruno
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Clippers' GM isn't dumb. He knows too that a 2007 first round pick is better than a 08 first round pick. A late first round pick in a weak draft has little value : last year, Blazers get the 30th pick only by giving $3M to Suns.
The state of the market for Maggette will determine what kind of incentives Spurs should add if they want him : 07 first round pick, 08 first round pick, Scola, 2nd round picks...

Reports are that Toronto is offering Peterson for Maggette. If I was Clippers GM, I would only do a trade with Spurs if the package around Barry is better than the package around Peterson

Mr. Body
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Clippers' GM isn't dumb. He knows too that a 2007 first round pick is better than a 08 first round pick. A late first round pick in a weak draft has little value : last year, Blazers get the 30th pick only by giving $3M to Suns.
The state of the market for Maggette will determine what kind of incentives Spurs should add if they want him : 07 first round pick, 08 first round pick, Scola, 2nd round picks...

I hope this is what I was saying. I was saying the Spurs shouldn't give up their 2007 pick and shouldn't even offer it. Even if this year turns out to not be as deep as we think (Odom and others staying in school), we can't afford to miss another young player, whoever he is.

It looks like the Artest deal is dead, and was never truly offered. Mo Pete is a much better deal than Barry, though they stand to lose him once the year is up, plus Barry can play some point if Cassel is down.

I don't think the Spurs are necessarily that far away, but being second or third in line is the same thing as nothing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I hope this is what I was saying. I was saying the Spurs shouldn't give up their 2007 pick and shouldn't even offer it. Even if this year turns out to not be as deep as we think (Odom and others staying in school), we can't afford to miss another young player, whoever he is.

It looks like the Artest deal is dead, and was never truly offered. Mo Pete is a much better deal than Barry, though they stand to lose him once the year is up, plus Barry can play some point if Cassel is down.

I don't think the Spurs are necessarily that far away, but being second or third in line is the same thing as nothing.
You mean Oden?

timvp
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd throw in the draft pick if it meant getting Maggette. Drafting late in the first round, even in the best of drafts, is still a crap shoot. Barry + EWill + 2007 1st for Maggette would be very nice.

MannyIsGod
12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Exactly, theres no assured player in the draft that will be as good as what Magette does nad its not like he's old.

picnroll
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Thought the Spurs can't trade their 07 first round pick. They tradred their 2006 pick and thought there's a rule against trading your 1st round pick two years in a orow

Steve-O-Matic
12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd throw in the draft pick if it meant getting Maggette. Drafting late in the first round, even in the best of drafts, is still a crap shoot. Barry + EWill + 2007 1st for Maggette would be very nice.
That trade wouldn't work under the rules. The Clips would have to include an additional player or the Spurs would have to replace Williams with a cheaper player (Bonner) to make the salaries match.

Steve-O-Matic
12-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Thought the Spurs can't trade their 07 first round pick. They tradred their 2006 pick and thought there's a rule against trading your 1st round pick two years in a orow
That only applies to FUTURE 1st round picks. The 2006 Draft has come and gone, so it resets.

Bruno
12-30-2006, 12:06 AM
That trade wouldn't work under the rules. The Clips would have to include an additional player or the Spurs would have to replace Williams with a cheaper player (Bonner) to make the salaries match.

Korolev can be add. He is just a contract with no trade value (Clippers have given up on him).