PDA

View Full Version : True or False: A New Small Forward on the Horizon?

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 01:27 PM
The front office likely recognizes what we do - this team needs something. They have the assets to get other teams to listen, but is it enough to get it done?

I'd say it's highly likely the Spurs make a trade this year. While Maggette is the flavor of the week, there are some other disgruntled swingmen floating around. What are the chances one of these guys becomes a Spur?

Corey Maggette (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3336) -- 3 yrs, starting at $7 million

Morris Peterson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3420) -- 1 yr, $4.5 million

Desmond Mason (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3416) -- 1 yr, $8 million

Then... there are third tier SFs possibly available, such as Viktor Khryapa, who may not be as big of help this year.

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Peterson and his team mates are playing well. I would be surprised to see Toronto make any trades right now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3420

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AllWMo7qraJ5AW0.qcHwneCkvLYF?gid=200612 1728&prov=ap

Morris Peterson had 23 points and T.J. Ford added 21 points and 14 assists to lead the Raptors to a 120-115 win Sunday over the Golden State Warriors.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
If Maggette doesnt come, then I want Morris.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Mo Pete and Mason will both be 30 next year. Maggette, while only 27, also has a fair amount of NBA tread on him. If we're going to make a trade, wouldn't it be better to find a younger dog who can be taught some new tricks?

Bartzini
12-27-2006, 01:38 PM
wouldn't it be better to find a younger dog who can be taught some new tricks?

No. We need some one to produce today, that can get us a ring or 2 more before Duncan tanks.

My opinion

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Mo Pete and Mason will both be 30 next year. Maggette, while only 27, also has a fair amount of NBA tread on him. If we're going to make a trade, wouldn't it be better to find a younger dog who can be taught some new tricks?

That's a good question. Do we feel we have enough to win it this year? Mason and MoPete would be rentals, since it's unclear we could (or would) resign them, but their talent could be had since they both have expiring contracts and their teams might like some compensation, not expecting to keep them, either. It would definitely be better to get a younger, more impressionable player, but those are beyond our price range right now.

SequSpur
12-27-2006, 01:42 PM

This is not petsmart, the spurs need a got damn player/contributor.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 01:47 PM
2007 Free Agents

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see the Spurs go after Ime Udoka.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 01:55 PM
We should let everyone go except E-Will and JV.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 01:57 PM
That's a good question. Do we feel we have enough to win it this year? Mason and MoPete would be rentals, since it's unclear we could (or would) resign them, but their talent could be had since they both have expiring contracts and their teams might like some compensation, not expecting to keep them, either. It would definitely be better to get a younger, more impressionable player, but those are beyond our price range right now.

I just don't want to get into a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation. Anybody we bring in right now will need to learn the system on the fly and we all know how that usually goes. We know we're going to have to do some major retooling here pretty soon, so I'd like to take the team we've got and light a fire under them.

That being said, it begins and ends with Timmy (with TP and Manu following close behind). From both Pop's and Bruce's recent comments, I'm getting the impression that "leading by example" has become a relative term rather than an actual practice. If any of the role players see the team leaders phoning it in, they're going to follow suit. The team has shown that it can play well this season. Our biggest obstacle seems to be complacency.

dimsah
12-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Gerald Wallace.

SenorSpur
12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
The front office likely recognizes what we do - this team needs something. They have the assets to get other teams to listen, but is it enough to get it done?

I'd say it's highly likely the Spurs make a trade this year. While Maggette is the flavor of the week, there are some other disgruntled swingmen floating around. What are the chances one of these guys becomes a Spur?

Corey Maggette (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3336) -- 3 yrs, starting at $7 million

Morris Peterson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3420) -- 1 yr, $4.5 million

Derek Mason (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3416) -- 1 yr, $8 million

Then... there are third tier SFs possibly available, such as Viktor Khryapa, who may not be as big of help this year.

Are you referring to the Hornets' Desmond Mason?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Gerald Wallace.

I don't think we can afford him.

td4mvp21
12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I think its true but who? We need someone who can really defend and someone who can score.

Streakyshooter08
12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, the one thing that concerns me the most is the lack of rebounding. If they trade for a 3 they should have an eye on the ability to rebound. Maggette looks like a decent rebounder. I really doubt the Spurs will be able to get him.

That said, I would love Gerald Wallace to play for the Spurs...

MrChug
12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Who's Derek Mason? Really...

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:16 PM
We need someone who can really defend and someone who can score.

The understatement of the year. :lol

ChumpDumper
Yeah, all these guys can shut down Dirk.

Mr. Body
Yes I meant Desmond Mason.

td4mvp21
12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
The understatement of the year. :lol

Yeah really.
:pctoss

VaSpursFan
12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
i hope something happens to shake this team up a bit. adding another talented player is never a bad thing.

td4mvp21
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Desmond Mason? :lol I was wondering who the fuck Derek Mason or whatever was.

I'd take him he can cause a ton of matchup problems. Anyone know how good of a defender he is?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Desmond Mason? :lol I was wondering who the fuck Derek Mason or whatever was.

I'd take him he can cause a ton of matchup problems. Anyone know how good of a defender he is?
He's averaging 5 rebs a game.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah, all these guys can shut down Dirk.

Nobody is going to be able to shut down Dirk. That's a pipedream. But we have to be able to effectively defend against everyone else. Guys like Dirk, LeBron and Wade are going to get their points. If we were to ever lose a game against the Mavs where Dirk scored 100 points and the rest of the team scored 0, that's a loss I could live with.

td4mvp21
12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
He's averaging 5 rebs a game.

Damn, we need this guy. Too bad the Hornets probably won't trade him.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Why bother with all these tiny small forwards? Would they really take so much time from the wing players we have now?

Losses make this board go nuts every time.

samikeyp
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
No. We need some one to produce today, that can get us a ring or 2 more before Duncan tanks.

Magette can do that too.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:30 PM
If someone can show me a player who has "trophy guaranteed" tatooed on their ass, I'd like to see it.

samikeyp
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
You are just looking for excuses to look at naked athlete's asses! :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM

Here we go again.... moved on to the next Euro draft pick for the Spurs, I see...

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
You are just looking for excuses to look at naked athlete's asses! :lmao

It's all about the perks. :santahat

SenorSpur
12-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Desmond Mason (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3416) -- 1 yr, $8 million

All three of these are good options. Like some have already suggested, I would throw Gerald Wallace in this mix too. He's expected to walk after this season and that cheapskate owner likely will not pay him the money he wants.

Mason is expected to walk after this year, so I would guess the Hornets would make a deal to trade him. His salary is good enough to take on for at least this year. He is only 6'5", but is a very solid defender and one of their best players.

Corey Maggette would be the ideal choice. He's big, strong, athletic and quick. Good on the boards, attacks the basket and can shoot the three. Is a good FT shooter as well. Perfect choice.

I don't know much about Mo Pete - Other than the fact that he aint happy about losing his starting job.

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Here we go again.... moved on to the next Euro draft pick for the Spurs, I see...

Balls. I'm not a Khryapa fan.

timvp
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
True or False: A New Small Forward on the Horizon?

False. The Spurs really don't have that much available to trade and teams won't exactly be fighting to give a contending team even more ammo.

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
False. The Spurs really don't have that much available to trade and teams won't exactly be fighting to give a contending team even more ammo.

The argument could be made that Toronto won't care whether San Antonio contends or not, barely being playoff eligible themselves, and New Orleans may stumble out of the playoff race if injuries keep plaguing them. The Clippers may be another story.

Toronto or NOK, knowing they're (possibly) out of the race, may decide to get some value for the players who will depart at the end of the year...

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Toronto's prospects have improved- no need for defeated moves on their parts.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Toronto or NOK, knowing they're (possibly) out of the race, may decide to get some value for the players who will depart at the end of the year...What value?

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
What value?

Are you kidding? A Brent Barry, a Scola, a couple second round picks, a back-up point guard...

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Are you kidding?

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Are you kidding?

Are you retarded? We're talking about a mid-season rental for two of these players, neither of which is bound to resign with their team. Outside the playoffs, which of Toronto or New Orleans would hang on to these players if they could get something of value for them? On the other hand is the Clippers, who already wants to get rid of their bench SF. Is this hard to understand?

Bob Lanier
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Brent Barry would have great value to the Pistons, who have two very good defensive 3s on their bench.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Your idea of value sucks ass. Is that so hard to understand?

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
If I'm Toronto and I'm out of the playoffs, a collection of expirings+a couple second round draft picks or a decent prospect for Morris Peterson is something I'd look at, if I know Mo Pete is not coming back. Same with Desmond Mason. This isn't rocket science. It ain't even remedial math, bub.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
:lmao Mr. Wolverine.

You do realize that Toronto is leading its division right now?

And NOLA is 2.5 games out of the playoffs with all of its stars out.

They don't give a shit about Scola and second rounders right now.

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
No fucking joke. I'm not talking about the moment. Toronto stands a chance of falling out. New Orleans I doubt can keep it up. Peja's not coming back. West is out for a while. Paul just went down.

You severely lack the sense of the prospective. Title of the thread: the future. Unless you think you're standing on the horizon.

But congratulations. You've officially made hash of yet another thread.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 04:23 PM
:lol You severely lack the sense of knowing we have shit to offer in a trade for quality NBA players, Comic Book Guy.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Title of the thread: the future.It was True or False.

I say False.

Deal with it.

tlongII
12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Barry might interest a few teams, but Scola and a couple of late 2nd round picks?! You gotta be kidding me.

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 04:44 PM
It was True or False.

I say False.

Deal with it.

Thank you! Prima donna needs some drama before giving a simple answer.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
You're welcome. Do you have to whine so much every time someone disagrees with you? You really couldn't tell what my answer was?

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
You're welcome. Do you have to whine so much every time someone disagrees with you? You really couldn't tell what my answer was?

I knew what your answer was, didn't know why you were being such a prick.

The larger question was whether the Spurs would pull the trigger on a trade this year, whether for someone with an expiring contract or someone else, but then you got to the customary feces-smearing. It's no big deal. I doubt the capabilities of getting anything done and as for the meager assets the Spurs have, I'd rather they held off until summer, anyway.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
It's no big deal.As evidenced by your reaction.
I doubt the capabilities of getting anything done and as for the meager assets the Spurs have, I'd rather they held off until summer, anyway.Why do people get so upset when they agree with me?

The Truth #6
12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Or is it because you agree with them but dance around it first?

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Seeing as every comment I made was skeptical of all these trades, that's highly doubtdul.

dg7md
12-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Spurs need to win *now*, not 3 years from now. They have the talent to do it now and next year. After that, I don't think so. As we all know, Duncan is the motor to the engine we have, and with the NBA rising how it is now it'd be hard to keep on winning by the time LeBron, Wade, and Carmelo are in their primes.

Main goal should be to obtain players to help win now with the Duncan/Parker/Ginobili trio. Age shouldn't be a factor in a chance to sign Corey Maggette or any of the swingmen listed.

They need a shake-up. 5 home losses already is just not anything we need to ignore. They had, what, 7 TOTAL last year? Before that wasn't it like 6?

Parker/Ginobili/Maggette/Duncan/Oberto(or Elson) would be an insane line-up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
It won't happen, but really, anyone outside of Manu, TD, and TP are expendable in a deal for Maggette.

The window for Tim Duncan's prime won't be open forever.

RC's Boss
12-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Gerald Wallace.
Yes someone w/ common sense

Darkwaters
12-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Desmond Mason has been my whipping boy all year. While he plays exceptional defense on the perimeter his offensive is severely lacking. However, he still continues to take 15 to 20 shots a game and make only a few of them some times. He is stricken with bouts of inconsistency and is prone to horrible shooting nights. He has the uncanny ability to take the worst available shot possible (I believe Emeka Okafor recorded 5 blocks on Desmond alone earlier this year in one game). Recently, his shooting has improved as more and more scoring options have disappeared from the Hornets due to injury and they have been forced to rely on him. However, he has quite possibly the ugliest hitch in his shot I've ever seen and is dismal from the FT line (64%). Also, Mason's only offense comes in the paint (likely why the Hornets call offensive sets for him, they have very little paint scoring). Mason, even when left unguarded, has no ability to score from any kind of distance. 3 point range is an absolute dream at best. That being said, his defense is definately a HUGE plus as he is capable of slowing down (and sometimes shutting down) the major perimeter player on the opposition (see Kobe Bryant). And he does run the break like an absolute beast. Mason can definatley pull down the boards though at times. While he doesn't often have HUGE rebounding nights, his production is definately consistent in that regard. Also, he plays beside Tyson Chandler (one of the league's leading rebounders) and Chris Paul (one of the better rebounding guards) and still produces on the glass. He is severely overpaid though and will likely not command nearly that much in next season's crowded free agent market. The Hornets likely will not resign for a flurry of reasons:
1) They have a ton of SFs already (Peja Stojakovic, Rasual Butler, Devin Brown, Marcus Vinicius, Linton Johnson) with smaller contracts and often times more upside.
2) Their financial situation is an enigma, at best, as the return to New Orleans will indicate severe financial losses (only 15k went to the Spurs/Hornets game in the Big Easy).

The Spurs honestly would be better looking at a guy like Gerald Wallace. While Wallace can contribute this year, he is also a player to build around since he is only 24. I like Wallace primarily for this reason, but also because he fits the bill and might be obtainable.