PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Elson expected to be out at least two weeks

Bruno
12-27-2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/weblogs/courtside/

December 27, 2006

Francisco Elson is expected to be out at least two weeks after suffering a small tear in his right rotator cuff in Tuesday's loss to Milwaukee.

After Elson was hurt in the first half, team officials said he suffered an impingement to the shoulder, which can occur when the collar bone is jammed into the rotator cuff. Elson played eight minutes in the second half, but was hurting after the game.

Elson was re-examined Wednesday.

Brent Barry returned to practice Wednesday, but the Spurs were still missing Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner. Jacque Vaughn, the latest team member to come down with the stomach flu, also missed the workout.

Popovich said Eric Williams and Jackie Butler will get more minutes in Elson's absence.

leemajors
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
hopefully butler can contribute.

dimsah
12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Jackie Butler better play more because I don't want to see Horry out ther for 25+ minutes a night. At least he'll get some experience.

George Gervin's Afro
I have been looking forward to seeing Butler playing meaningful minutes..

VaSpursFan
wow...will the spurs now have that sense of urgency? the margin for error is slim and all those games that they should have won would have been a great buffer for the inevitable injury.

i hope this brings the focus back.

spurschick
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Brent Barry returned to practice Wednesday, but the Spurs were still missing Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner. Jacque Vaughn, the latest team member to come down with the stomach flu, also missed the workout.

FUCK!!! We should rename the AT&T Center to The Giant Petri Dish!

polandprzem
12-27-2006, 02:45 PM
So they needed White just for practice?

:rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Butler will have 15 points 10 rebounds and 6 blocks. Book it.

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Feel better Elson, Brent, Gino, and Matt.
Everyone else- step up.

Kori Ellis
12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Wow. I was wrong. I expected since he played in the second half after the injury, that he would just shake it off.

Oh well, time for Oberto/Horry/Butler? to step it up.

Kori Ellis
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM

Unfortunately the flu bug is going to probably keep moving through the team, which is what happened last season (or the year before?). Didn't they get flu shots?!

Mr. Body
12-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Big men have been going down all over the NBA.

timvp
12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
This might actually help Elson and the Spurs in the long run. Elson will get to watch from the sidelines and concentrate on learning the defense and exactly where he's supposed to be. Bruce Bowen in his first year as a Spur broke his finger and when he came back, he played much better and attributed it to being able to watch exactly how the defense runs.

Maybe it'll even give someone like Williams, Bonner or Butler a chance to show they should play more down the stretch of the season.

caŽlo
12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
great. just great.

first the stomach virus. then this

Steve-O-Matic
12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately the flu bug is going to probably keep moving through the team, which is what happened last season (or the year before?). Didn't they get flu shots?!
Flu shots are designed to fight off the the weaker, more commonly present viruses that regularly go around. They are not for immuning oneself to the stronger stomach viruses like the one currently having its way with the Spurs.

BTW, 2 weeks seems like an awfully short recovery time for a torn rotator cuff....even for just a "slight" tear.

leemajors
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM

flu shots don't guarantee anything, just increase resistance.

Bruno
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
5 players are injured or ill and Beno is healthy, it's really strange. :spin

timvp
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
5 players are injured or ill and Beno is healthy, it's really strange. :spin

I think you just jinxed him. Beno to get hurt in 10, 9 . . .

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I think you just jinxed him. Beno to get hurt in 10, 9 . . .

Noooooooooo!

Give the kid some Wheaties and he'll be fine.

Das Texan
12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Hopefully Butler makes the most of this.....

2centsworth
12-27-2006, 04:01 PM
torn rotator cuffs are horrid. It's going to take him a lot more than 2 weeks to get back to where he was physically.

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
CIA Beno?

joeyjfive
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Well as sad I am to see Elson go down, you gotta wonder how Butler will respond. I really hope he does well, hes gonna get some playing time hopefully he can show us something.

angel_luv
12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Is it too late for funniest thread of 06.

He didn't say over how many games. :lol

boutons_
12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
So now the Spurs have plenty of excuses, players sick/injured, when they get blown out by the Jazz. :)

I was worried about the Bucks, and was right (for once!).
I want to be wrong about Thurs night.

BigVee
12-27-2006, 05:05 PM
I want to see Butler knock Harpring, Okur, Boozer and AK47 on their asses. Jazz always rough up the Spurs. Butler to the rescue!!

MannyIsGod
12-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Bonner's abut to cement a spot in the rotation. Book it.

djohn14
12-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Let's hope Oberto can get a couple more of those 20 point games.

ShoogarBear
12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
:lmao
I've learned from this thread that Beno, Butler, and Bonner will take advantage of all this to become stars and/or solid role players.

And Elson will come back from Injury as DRob Incarnate.

Who said Spur fans weren't optimists?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Hopefully he meant at least 5
You know I was being sarcastic, right?

Kori Ellis
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
To match Elson's output, the fill-ins just need to put up 5 and 5 and miss most of their defensive rotations. Doesn't seem that hard. :lol

SuperManu!!!
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Just bring the players to the court and have a toilet near the rim for any emergency

xamila rey
12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
To match Elson's output, the fill-ins just need to put up 5 and 5 and miss most of their defensive rotations. Doesn't seem that hard. :lol

:blah

i think we will probably play better defense

GrandeDavid
12-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Alright, Jackie's had a full season with the Bricks and now a few months of presumably intense training in San Antonio. Dude's ready. Jackie, rise to the occasion.

MannyIsGod
12-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Bonner just needs time. I don't think Oberto is going to match his early season numbers again. I think it was kind of a fluke. He's more a matchup guy, but against most of the players out there he's going to be a bad matchup.

Bonner is someone I think fits in more and hustles so damn much that I think he'll help on the defensive end. He's a scrapper.

You knwo what this team is missing? The bet Malik and Ferry used to have. The first one to dive on the floor won the bet each night. Who the fuck do we have now outside of Bonner thats a scrapper like that? I think Vaughn has that in him, but NONE of our bigs display that grit other than Bonner.

Das Texan
12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
its time for either bonner or butler to step up.

I really dont care who steps up and puts up that needed heart and production. But it needs to be one of them as far as I'm concerned. If its Bonner then we get the added bonus of a 3 point shot, like we had with Ferry.

wildbill2u
12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
This might actually help Elson and the Spurs in the long run. Elson will get to watch from the sidelines and concentrate on learning the defense and exactly where he's supposed to be. Bruce Bowen in his first year as a Spur broke his finger and when he came back, he played much better and attributed it to being able to watch exactly how the defense runs.

Maybe it'll even give someone like Williams, Bonner or Butler a chance to show they should play more down the stretch of the season.
That might work with a guy like Bruce who studies the game and his opponents to get an edge. Elson's been in the league for a while without demonstrating that kind of study ethic. He was still looking around for his spot on defense after watching Oberto at the beginning of the seasn. But we can hope.

ponky
12-27-2006, 10:29 PM
hehe, it's our secret weapon...mavs logo this year *catch it. spread it.*

just kidding, get well spurs ballers, i want all of you healthy when we come to town next week, especially manu! seriously, this sucks, i was really looking forward to two competitive games tomorrow night, hopefully they still will be, is manu playing tomorrow?

leemajors
12-27-2006, 10:57 PM
hehe, it's our secret weapon...mavs logo this year *catch it. spread it.*

just kidding, get well spurs ballers, i want all of you healthy when we come to town next week, especially manu! seriously, this sucks, i was really looking forward to two competitive games tomorrow night, hopefully they still will be, is manu playing tomorrow?

i'd imagine if he isn't still shitting soup he'll try to play.

SequSpur
12-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Bonner just needs time. I don't think Oberto is going to match his early season numbers again. I think it was kind of a fluke. He's more a matchup guy, but against most of the players out there he's going to be a bad matchup.

Bonner is someone I think fits in more and hustles so damn much that I think he'll help on the defensive end. He's a scrapper.

You knwo what this team is missing? The bet Malik and Ferry used to have. The first one to dive on the floor won the bet each night. Who the fuck do we have now outside of Bonner thats a scrapper like that? I think Vaughn has that in him, but NONE of our bigs display that grit other than Bonner.

Bonner is slower than shit. What game are you watching?

duncanchick21
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
I hope the that Manu, Matt, and Jacque feel better!!! Elson you will be missed, but I hope you can come back soon!!!

Darkwaters
12-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Bonner is slower than shit. What game are you watching?

I don't think that he meant that Bonner was a quick player, but more that he was a real hustle guy. And I have to agree wtih that prognosis. When hes on the floor he always seems to be intently playing and never just on cruise control.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Bonner is slower than shit. What game are you watching?And Danny Ferry was fast?

Das Texan
12-28-2006, 01:28 AM
And Danny Ferry was fast?

I was thinking the same thing.

Many of us could probably outrun Danny Ferry in a foot race.

milkyway21
12-28-2006, 02:54 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Many of us could probably outrun Danny Ferry in a foot race.you guys are funny!!! :lol

I'm glad we are getting back the league-leading 3ptr Brent Barry tonight. But who do you think shld take care of Utah's Mehmet Okor, who is 30 of 59=50.8% of his 3s this month?

T Park
12-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Eric WIlliams.

Hes long, tall enough, quick enough, and beefy enough to hang with him.

Have Duncan guard Boozer.

Spurs prob won't win. Too many players out, and just not enough players on the team that give a shit about defense. That simple.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 03:12 AM
I think the only player expected out is Elson, but the ones coming back from being sick probably won't be able to play normal minutes. Hopefully no one else comes up ill tomorrow.

The Spurs have problems keeping the Jazz off the glass when they are at full-strength, so this could get ugly.

milkyway21
12-28-2006, 03:59 AM
I think the only player expected out is Elson, but the ones coming back from being sick probably won't be able to play normal minutes. Hopefully no one else comes up ill tomorrow.

The Spurs have problems keeping the Jazz off the glass when they are at full-strength, so this could get ugly.that too. the rebounding were so disappointing the last time for the Spurs. I hope Butler will make the rebounding better tonight.