PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: Where's The D?

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Spurs: Where's The D?
Last Update: 12/28/2006 4:19:18 AM
Posted By: Kori Ellis

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=a7b9a98c-217c-4380-a6d1-818fd89294e7

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

If you catch a Spurs game this year and don’t recognize the style of play utilized by the San Antonio squad, you aren’t alone. Traditionally a lockdown defensive team, the Spurs have seemingly turned into an offensive oriented unit.

“This is our worst defensive team,” head coach Gregg Popovich said on Tuesday night, “in the last seven to eight years.”

The numbers back up his observation. Since Tim Duncan was drafted, the Spurs have always finished in the top handful of teams in opponent’s field goal percentage. This year, San Antonio is 14th in the league.

In the three championship seasons, the Spurs never finished out of the top three in that stat and never allowed teams to shoot over 43% in any of those seasons. In fact, the 1998-99 championship team set the all-time record low (40.2%).

This year, teams are shooting 45.5% against San Antonio. To find the last 50-win Spurs team that gave up such a high field goal percentage, you’d have to go back to David Robinson’s rookie season of 1989-90.

Another area that the Spurs have traditionally done well is blocked shots. This season, the Spurs are 22nd in the league, averaging only 4.4 blocks per game as a team. To find a Spurs team this inept at blocking shots, you’d have to go back to the 1986-87 season – a team that finished 28-54.

In last season’s playoff run the Spurs were dominated on the boards, getting outrebounded in 11-of-13 playoff games. That has carried over to this year, where the Spurs are averaging only 40.1 rebounds per game. That is the lowest rebounding output in franchise history, save for the injury plagued season of 1996-97.

Perhaps the worst news of all is the defense is getting worse instead of better as the season wears on. Over the last ten games, the Spurs are allowing opponents to shoot 47.3% from the floor and are only averaging 3.9 blocks and 36.3 rebounds per game.

It’s difficult to pinpoint the root of the problem for the Spurs. Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto have taken over the center position this season and have each struggled at times defensively. Also, Popovich has oftentimes resorted to small ball lineups, which inherently replaces defense and rebounding for offensive gains.

To be fair, the NBA has gotten smaller and faster over the last couple of seasons in response to the new rules that make it virtually impossible to stop penetration from perimeter players. The Spurs have responded by replacing bulk with speed as they try to adjust to the new NBA.

However, whatever the case may be, the Spurs will have to find a way to up their play defensively. In the last eight seasons, the Spurs have been as dominant defensively as any team in any sport in any era. This season, they are, unacceptably, just an average defensive team.

zeleni
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
It is what is coming to a team which gains on variety, but invests mostly in their young point guard from France who is in fact the only player in this team who gained in stats in the last 3 seasons (with the exception of Barry and Oberto...but Barry is not very efficient in his season games, while Oberto is playing his first season as a NBA contributor). Duncan was tremendous against the Mavs, Ginobili is prone to injuries, Horry is getting even more elderly. Rasho on the other side was a mere joke for the Spurs fans. Bruce seems to be too old even for the NT Coach K.

Pop trusts in Duncan and TP. Manu Ginobili is a monster of heart. But that is not a defensive team we all know and love. That would be called an offensive team with good fundamentals and speed. Defense is all about Rasho and Bowen. One of them left to a better place, and the other is old and STILL without an obvious heir. Defense was this season obviously an afterthought for beloved team manager.

leemajors
12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
toronto is a better place?

SA210
12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Bring back Rasho. :)

zeleni
12-28-2006, 10:57 AM
toronto is a better place?
Yeah...if you want to play some basketball and represent Slovenia in the summer. I didn't heard about a player who doesn't play in the playoffs and will stay be consistently ambitious to achieve his top level.

Hey, I've never been in San Antonio. But Rasho is definitly in a better place for him. Beno on the other side is in midst the wolves and I hope he will bite someday and bite hard.

spurschick
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Defense is all about Rasho and Bowen.

:lol :lol Thanks! That was a good laugh to start my day. I'm not saying that Rasho never played a moment of defense while he was here, but putting him in the same category as Bruce is a joke. I must say though that I respect your unwavering support for him.

SenorSpur
12-28-2006, 11:43 AM
One key problem: Duncan is the teams leading and best rebounder and his numbers are going down year-to-year.

Another key point is that Pop seems determined to go small when other teams like Dallas, Miami and Detroit still are successful utilizing their more traditional lineups.

1Parker1
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I think it's a good thing that the Spurs are addressing the defense problem early on in the season, it's going to help them when the real time comes if they learn their lessons now and fix some of their problems. I'd be worried if the Spurs were playing great, perfect basketball right now....

polandprzem
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Who is this Kori Ellis?

Any famous articles in the past?

td4mvp21
12-28-2006, 12:27 PM
I think it's a good thing that the Spurs are addressing the defense problem early on in the season, it's going to help them when the real time comes if they learn their lessons now and fix some of their problems. I'd be worried if the Spurs were playing great, perfect basketball right now....

They always address their problems early in the season-defense, free throws, etc. but I haven't seen a really clear improvement on what they talk about since the 03-04 season. It's good to know they recognize it but whether or not they do something about it concerns me. I know it's still early so I'm not gonna stress too much.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Who is this Kori Ellis?

Any famous articles in the past?that's funny. i dont even know if you're kidding or not? either way, it's funny

tim_duncan_fan
12-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Its wherever Tim wants it to be. If Tim would step up his D so would everyone else, but right now Tim doesn't want to play D so no one else will either. It has to start with the superstar. Tim has to be a leader and man up on defense, then and only then will the overall team defense pick up, because the role players wont play defense until they see Tim doing it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Popovich has oftentimes resorted to small ball lineups, which inherently replaces defense and rebounding for offensive gains.

Hammer + nail. See my sig.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Tim Duncan has been doggin it during the regular season for the past 2 years.

zeleni
12-28-2006, 05:07 PM
:lol :lol Thanks! That was a good laugh to start my day. I'm not saying that Rasho never played a moment of defense while he was here, but putting him in the same category as Bruce is a joke. I must say though that I respect your unwavering support for him.

Both are strictly specialized in defensive roles. Any other player with the Spurs had a wide variety of tasks. Bruce and Rasho were there only for the simplest offense. Same category? Definitly. Bruce on one hand is widely regarded as a good defensive stopper, but Rasho is even in San Antonio regarded as a white stiff. :rolleyes

Although he replaced (the greatest center in the modern universe or whatever) David Robinson, you never could tell he is as good as Bowen in what he does. No, no, even Nazr had something to be glorified..and he is still useless..even now when he is a starting center on a team filled with quality guards and forwards with a coach less oriented on defense as Pop.

Solid D
12-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Tim Duncan has been doggin it during the regular season for the past 2 years.

...therefore, the coach must be fired.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Hire Mike Fratello.

tim_duncan_fan
12-28-2006, 05:24 PM
...therefore, the coach must be fired.

Hmm. Maybe pops lost the team? Maybe he should be replaced.

Solid D
12-28-2006, 05:27 PM
You probably know this, but just in case...I was being sarcastic with my friend Sequ.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 05:31 PM
my friend Sequ.

I've never met you, how can you be my friend?

ShoogarBear
12-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I've never met you, how can you be my friend?You think if he met you that would help?

spurschick
12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
:lol Damn Shoog, I may have to kiss you next time I see you.

ShoogarBear
12-28-2006, 06:50 PM
What section do you sit in again? :eyebrows