PDA

View Full Version : Should Spurs pursue Artest?

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
All this squaking about us acquiring soft selfish MeGette.

How about the Spurs find their defensive balls again and go with a frontline of Duncan Elson and Ron Artest? Another 2005 type Championship run that sure, would make a few board members unhappy but so what.

Pachage Findawg, Scola rights, Beno and would have to give up EWilliams.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 12:43 PM
That would work, but would the Kings accept that?

SenorSpur
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I've thought about that too. Love his talent and tenacity and it certainly would work well. But his attitude and antics should make everyone CRINGE.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Pachage Findawg, Scola rights, Beno and would have to give up EWilliams.

That's too much money (Fin+Beno+EW =$10M+) and probably not enough talent to get Artest (plus the Kings don't have roster room to add 3 players).

But I wouldn't mind Artest here. When he isn't crazy, he is a great defender and good scorer.

SequSpur
oh hell yeah.

Steve-O-Matic
No chance in hell.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
So good nobody wants him.

tim_duncan_fan
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
no. they should just grow some nuts on defense

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Scola's rights = worthless
You may be correct and you may not.
Lets put it in the vault and see what Scolas NBA career turns out to be.
Most all agree/agreed he is better then Oberto and like or dislike his game, Fabs was a starting center on a 15-5 Spurs 2006-7 opening.

boutons_
12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
He's probably too stupid to learn that he's bouncing around the league because of himself, not because of the teams that have given him a chance.

But like all those teams, I can still see him playing punishing bball on both ends in IND in 03/04 (minus the FF that probably cost IND the EC championship vs Pistons). Who wouldn't like to have that Artest on their team?

Could the Pop, Spurs, and Spurs org keep him under control? Probably have a better chance than any other NBA org, but it would still be just a chance.

Streakyshooter08
12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Man, I would love to see Artest here! He is a headcase but imagine this lineup:

Parker, Bowen, Artest, TD and Elson, with Manu comming off the bench.

Artest would provide what the Spurs need: toughness/rebounding and defense. The problem is if he would accept being the 3rd option on offense. If he could deal with that role, it would be deadly... but it won't happen...pipedream (unless you give up Manu, which is even more unlikely)

DubMcDub
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Why even bring this up? Kings aren't going to be giving him up anytime soon.

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Mavs ThoughtPoliceman.
I'm sure Artest on the Spurs is giving you the shakes.
He'd slap Crackhouse silly.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 01:15 PM

They initiated the talks with the Clippers regarding Artest. So I don't know why you think they don't want to give him up.

aaronstampler
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
over my dead body.

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
At this rate he'll be Oberto's age by the time he actually makes it in the league. I guess you forgot the Spurs have been shopping his rights for some time now. Had there been any value there they would have moved his rights for a more poductive piece of the puzzle.

Not to mention "putting it in the vault" has nothing to do with the value of his current rights.
What have the Spurs been asking back in return?
As part of a pachage deal with the Kings they might not find it "worthless".
Maloofs have paid some big salaries and may be willing to do a reduced buyout with Tau. Who knows maybe even Tau will finally budge, seeing as they are facing getting zero $ for Scola.

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
It would make more sense to move Bowen for Artest but again this would never happen.
I'll do it. And I like Bruce.

aaronstampler
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I can't believe how little some people think of what being a member of the San Antonio Spurs organization represents. We're not the freakin' Nuggets or the Knicks people. We're not going to sign horrible people just because they can play basketball.

Pero
12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Didn`t you guys discuss this on this board before (and for pages and pages if I remember right)???
Anyway, no.
And besides, what would the spurs send back, an entire mental institution or what?

Steve-O-Matic
12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
They initiated the talks with the Clippers regarding Artest. So I don't know why you think they don't want to give him up.
Actually the Clippers came to the Kings on that one.

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Didn`t you guys discuss this on this board before (and for pages and pages if I remember right)???

At that point in time the Kings were not shopping Artest.

Kori Ellis They initiated the talks with the Clippers regarding Artest. So I don't know why you think they don't want to give him up.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Actually the Clippers came to the Kings on that one.

Actually no they didn't.

"The Kings contacted the Clippers last Friday to gauge the Clippers' interest in acquiring Artest, but as of Wednesday night had not made a formal trade proposal.."

timvp
12-28-2006, 01:45 PM
The Bulls once upon a time offered Ron Artest and Ron Mercer for Steve Smith. The Spurs didn't even consider it.

In other words, no chance.

Steve-O-Matic
12-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually no they didn't.

"The Kings contacted the Clippers last Friday to gauge the Clippers' interest in acquiring Artest, but as of Wednesday night had not made a formal trade proposal.."
Interesting, b/c Ric Bucher reported the exact opposite on ESPNEWS the other afternoon. He even stated that it was the Kings, not the Clips, who were reluctant to consumate the trade.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Interesting, b/c Ric Bucher reported the exact opposite on ESPNEWS the other afternoon. He even stated that it was the Kings, not the Clips, who were reluctant to consumate the trade.

I agree that it's the Kings who are reluctant now. But the initial sequence (from what I understand from several people) is that the Clips made it public knowledge that they were looking to move Maggette. Then the Kings called to see how much interest they'd have in Artest. They discussed things and that was that - Sacramento was supposedly mulling over ideas. The Kings never submitted an actual proposal to the Clips, and yes, the Clips are interested in a deal for Artest.

td4mvp21
12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
If he was absolutely willing to change his attitude, then yeah I'd love to have him he's a hardass. Unfortunately, he won't change and he is literally nuts. Plus, add the fact that Pop got really pissed at him in the playoffs last year. I'm not really sure if he or TD would be thrilled.

cheguevara
12-28-2006, 02:17 PM
dream on

Borosai
12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Artest and T.O. should fuck each other and have cancerous rat babies.

On the other hand, he would bring what the team lacks, but it won't happen.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 02:33 PM
:lol

Bob Lanier
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
The Bulls once upon a time offered Ron Artest and Ron Mercer for Steve Smith. The Spurs didn't even consider it.
:smchode:

zeleni
12-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Ron Artest for Ginobili and Bowen? ;)

spurschick
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM

You're insane.

ShoogarBear
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
All you guys lusting after Artest are probably the same Cowboy fans who were lusting after T.O.

zeleni
12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
You're insane.

Hey, that is at least a reasonable solution. You get heart and defense for heart and defense.

Bob Lanier
12-28-2006, 04:40 PM
All you guys lusting after Artest are probably the same Cowboy fans who were lusting after T.O.
I'd want either of them on my team. Of course, with a strong personality your coach can't be either a brash fool or a gutless worm, and most of them are.

Rynospursfan
12-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Not only are you indeed insane, the deal would not satisfy the requirements of the collective bargaining agreement. Manu alone makes more than Artest does.

spurschick
12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
When talking about dealing Manu, you have to take into account the marketing aspect of it. It might not make sense when you're talking about building the right team to win a championship, but the bottom line for any franchise is the almighty dollar and how many tickets get sold. For this market, Manu sells tickets. Someone like Artest would not fill that void. If Manu was going to be traded right now, it would to have to be for someone like LeBron or Wade and that's obviously never going to happen.

Pero
12-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey, that is at least a reasonable solution. You get heart and defense + insanity for heart and defense .

Fixed.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 05:13 PM
When talking about dealing Manu, you have to take into account the marketing aspect of it. It might not make sense when you're talking about building the right team to win a championship, but the bottom line for any franchise is the almighty dollar and how many tickets get sold. For this market, Manu sells tickets. Someone like Artest would not fill that void. If Manu was going to be traded right now, it would to have to be for someone like LeBron or Wade and that's obviously never going to happen.

The Spurs will sell tickets without Ginobili. They did before. Ginobili is not on the Lebron/Wade level, sorry.

Manu is another Duncan sidekick.

Phenomanul
12-28-2006, 05:32 PM
The Spurs will sell tickets without Ginobili. They did before. Ginobili is not on the Lebron/Wade level, sorry.

You may want to take a lesson in demographics before reassessing that stance....

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey, that is at least a reasonable solution. You get heart and defense for heart and defense.
No, Kings get 2 hearts and defense for 1 heart and defense.

We arent running some 2 for 1 All Star special.

Fins + EWilliams + Beno = Atrest.

alamo50
12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Not a chance.

spurschick
12-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Manu is not an NBA superstar like LeBron or Wade, but he's a San Antonio superstar and that is all that counts when it comes to selling out the AT&T Center. The same goes for Timmy, Tony and even Bruce.

jinglejangle
12-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't see it happening.
Artest doesn't strike me as fitting the current Spurs formula.

ShoogarBear
12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't see it happening.
Artest doesn't strike me as fitting the current Spurs formula.True. He rebounds and plays defense. :lol

Dre_7
12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Fins + EWilliams + Beno = Atrest.

The Kings would have to be high, drunk, and sleep deprived to take that deal!

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 06:42 PM
The Kings would have to be high, drunk, and sleep deprived to take that deal!
You mean Fins is not that good? :lol
Scola rights, Beno and Bowen whose contract expires in 08?

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 06:45 PM

Sorry but I think the Spurs sellout with regularity whether Manu is here or not. They have Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. If they win, the seats are filled. (I'm not saying I'd deal Manu)

Kori Ellis
12-28-2006, 06:53 PM
... they would sell less jerseys without Manu though.

carib
12-28-2006, 06:53 PM
When was the last time the Spurs made a good trade, So please stop with if the Spurs should get this or that one Pop is not about to do shit.

Borosai
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
So is the Garnett deal still going down? He's going to have to choose another number, but I think it will work out.

carib
12-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I said it onces and I will say it again, Pop would not and will not, and can not go after any player for a trade

El_Mago
12-28-2006, 07:06 PM
The Spurs are not pursuing, Corey.

They are definitely not going to make a push for Artest.

The Spurs have a plan and they are not going to jeopardize it.

T Park
12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Link Mavis Beacon?

dg7md
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Only if the trade gives up Barry/Beno/Bonner or something. That'd give Sac three great shooters, which is fitting to the way the old Kings played.

But I wouldn't trade anybody else. Hate to see Barry go, but Finley is more valuable come playoff time.

Das Texan
12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
What about James Posey?

Supposedly Miami would deal him...I know at one point some around here were high on him.

carib
12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Please tell me when was the last time the Spurs made a trade

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
WTF? Manu is not an allstar, he has average numbers as a SG. He can only play in 4 minute bursts, he is the reason why the Spurs lost Game 7. He can't play an entire season. In the games he does play, he leads the team in scoring or turnovers or mistakes.

WTF? I don't get it. Overrated.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Please tell me when was the last time the Spurs made a trade

You mean a good one?

Malik for Nazr.

carib
12-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks SequSpur,

You know what I am saying, the Spurs don't make good trades

Bob Lanier
12-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Malik for Nazr.
Malik+David Lee for Nazr.

SequSpur
12-28-2006, 07:41 PM
David Lee?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 07:42 PM
He was who they chose with that draft pick we sent to the Knicks in that trade.

carib
12-28-2006, 07:42 PM
trade trade trade not this season, I am sorry and its not going to happen

carib
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
lets work with the team we have, its working.

Make some major changes next year if we don't win it all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Bobcats are looking for a point guard because Knight is gonna have surgery. Trade Beno+Finley+Bonner or Barry+Beno or E-Will+Beno+cash for Wallace.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I would do Barry+Beno for Wallace. I still want Maggette though.

Bob Lanier
12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
So you'd be OK with Ginobili and Finley being the only players on the team who can hit a jumpshot consistently?

Fabbs
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Sequ is willing to step in and hit with the regularity of Findawg.

Cherry
12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Should Spurs pursue Artest?

No,thanks.

WTF? Manu is not an allstar, he has average numbers as a SG. He can only play in 4 minute bursts, he is the reason why the Spurs lost Game 7. He can't play an entire season. In the games he does play, he leads the team in scoring or turnovers or mistakes.

WTF? I don't get it. Overrated.

you again? :lol

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5694/sequ2kr6.gif

T Park
12-28-2006, 11:24 PM
:lmao

Owned again.

So you'd be OK with Ginobili and Finley being the only players on the team who can hit a jumpshot consistently?

Neither Barry nor Beno hit jumpers consistently, so thats a misnomer.

T Park
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
WTF? I don't get it.

Tell us something we, DONT know.

dknights411
12-28-2006, 11:59 PM
^ :lmao :lmao :lmao

Post of the year! :clap

slayermin
12-29-2006, 12:35 AM
How about the Spurs find their defensive balls again and go with a frontline of Duncan Elson and Ron Artest? Another 2005 type Championship run that sure, would make a few board members unhappy but so what.

Not gonna happen, but if he did come, I would have a frontline of TD, Bruce, and Artest.

Starting Five:
TD
Artest
Bruce
Manu
TP

carib
12-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Please stop it we are winning and we don't do trades

Kori Ellis
12-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Please stop it we are winning and we don't do trades

I heard you the first 10 times you posted this. If you don't want to talk about trades, don't open the threads, but stop whining about others talking about trades. It's annoying.

zeleni
12-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Fixed.

Hey, it's Texas we are talking about. Manu never made it here, since he is too sane for this place. Only Artest could handle Cuban, if we are talking championship. Spurs need a trashtalker, so Tim could be a bad-ass silent leader.

Artest is a good idea. OK, maybe without Bowen, we should get a draft pick or something junky, but idea is by far sane.

VaSpursFan
12-29-2006, 08:41 AM
i'm not a fan but he may be worth the risk because he really gets after it on d. if he could accept a lesser role, he'd be a capable understudy for bruce...but he's high maintenance and i don't think that fits the spurs m.o.

zeleni
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Artest wouldn't be understudy. Thats the point. He would be a cornerstone, not just a role-player.

spurschick
12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Artest wouldn't be understudy. Thats the point. He would be a cornerstone, not just a role-player.

:lol :lol :lol :lmao :lmao :lol :lol :lol
OMG! Please stop! You're killing me!

jman3000
12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
he didn't like being the 2nd fiddle behind jermaine oneal.. he wouldnt like being the 2nd fiddle behind tim duncan. i don't think we have the personel or the desire to acquire him.

AFBlue
12-29-2006, 11:51 AM
The Spurs should absolutely pursue him. If anyone can turn this guy into a model citizen and great "team" guy it's Pop and Timmy!

Okay so I'm being sarcastic...the obvious answer is No. He would cost too much (players and picks) and his attitude/chemical imbalance wouldn't make him worth the on-court gain.

zeleni
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Rodman along with Jordan...

Fabbs
12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Rodman along with Jordan...
Thank you. and Phil Jackson.