PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's tallest, shortest, heaviest and lightest players

Kori Ellis
11-07-2004, 01:17 AM
NBA Beat: By the numbers
The NBA's tallest, shortest, heaviest and lightest players:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110704.8C.BKNbynumbers.2fd0ec93.html

Tallest

T1. Yao Ming, Rockets; Shawn Bradley, Mavericks, 7-foot-6

3. Pavel Podkolzine, Mavericks, 7-5

Shortest

1. Earl Boykins, Nuggets, 5-foot-5

2. Yuta Tabuse, Suns, 5-9

T3. Andre Barrett, Rockets; Brevin Knight, Bobcats; Damon Stoudamire, Trail Blazers, 5-10

Heaviest

1. Shaquille O'Neal, Heat, 325 pounds

2. Yao Ming, Rockets, 310

3. DeSagana Diop, Cavaliers; Pavel Podkolzine, Mavericks, 300

Lightest

1. Earl Boykins, Nuggets, 133 pounds

2. Chucky Atkins, Lakers, 160

3. T.J. Ford, Bucks, 162

Kori Ellis
11-07-2004, 01:18 AM
NBA Beat: Starting Five

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110704.8C.BKNstartingfive.2fd0fad7.html

Five major surprises during the first week of the regular season:

Two 100-point games by the Spurs: What in the name of Iceman Gervin has gotten into the Spurs? We knew Gregg Popovich and Doug Moe were neighbors in Northwest San Antonio, but we never thought Moe's run-and-gun approach cold seep into Popovich's psyche by osmosis. This had more to do with the Spurs' opponents, the Kings and Lakers, than it did the Spurs' commitment to pushing the pace. We'd love to see it continue, but don't hold your breath.

Grant Hill back in the Magic lineup and producing: We'd also like to think this is going to continue all season, because Hill is one of the true class acts of the NBA, but the realist in us fears all that surgical hardware in Hill's ankle may need a tune-up before the All-Star break.

Raptors are 2-0 and all smiles: Well, Vince Carter wasn't very happy the day he was ordered by a judge to pay his former agent, a convicted swindler, nearly $4.7 million to settle a breach of contract lawsuit, but Carter has stopped sniping at Raptors management long enough to appreciate the up-tempo style Sam Mitchell has installed, and he helped Toronto knock off the defending champion Pistons on Friday night.

Allen Iverson is getting along with and supporting his coach: After Jim O'Brien won his first game as the 76ers' coach against his former employer, the Celtics, Iverson presented him with the game ball and said he had come to Boston to win the game for O'Brien. Iverson even says he enjoys O'Brien's practice sessions. What's next? O'Brien joining "AI" at the club following the game for after-hours fun?

Jazz rip the Lakers despite not having a point guard: Well, Utah did sign Howard Eisley after the Suns waived him, and they did have rookie Keith McLeod. But Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez were on the injured list. So McLeod tallies more assists (eight) than the entire Lakers team (seven) and Utah wins easily Wednesday night. Welcome to the Kobe Era, Lakers fans.

Run & gun

Doc no fan of Bush: You can get away with criticism of the re-election of President Bush if you coach an NBA team in Massachusetts. Regardless of how you feel about "W," you have to hold your tongue if you coach a team in Texas.

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, who had campaigned for Sen. John Kerry, called the outcome of the election "horrible."

"It was a horrible night," Rivers said. "I couldn't go to sleep. I tried to sleep, but the election turned it just into a (expletive) night. It really did. I was in such a foul mood (Wednesday) morning. I mean, you've got to accept it. The country's spoken, so you live with it, but that doesn't mean I was pleased about it. I was shocked."

No Jersey joy: The New Jersey Nets were humbled 100-77 in Wednesday's opening-night loss to the Heat at Continental Airlines Arena. What's worse, after the Nets went down by 20 in the fourth period, fans began chanting, "Ken-yon Mar-tin!"

No need to ask why. Martin was a fan favorite in New Jersey before the organization allowed him to sign a free agent contract in Denver and opted not to match it.

Payroll nicked: Across the Hudson in Manhattan, the New York Knicks also were losing their home opener. Big difference, though, is how much more the Knicks have to pay per loss. Their player payroll of $103.8 million is just $200,000 — relative chump change, at those levels — shy of the largest team payroll in NBA history, the $104 million Paul Allen shelled out to his Portland Trail Blazers two seasons back.

Part of the total still belongs to Shandon Anderson, who refused to negotiate a buyout of his three-year, $24 million deal and sits at the end of Lenny Wilkens' bench, pretty much a pariah. There is a chance the Knicks might up the buyout ante if they get serious about signing Eddie Robinson, cut loose from the Bulls last week.

Ford has better idea: Former Texas star T.J. Ford swears his career is not over because of his spinal cord problems, but the Milwaukee Bucks have no timetable for his return.

"I will play in the NBA again," Ford said. "There's no doubt in my mind. That's not even a question."

Compiled by Express-News NBA beat writer Mike Monroe

Rick Von Braun
11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
1. Shaquille O'Neal, Heat, 325 pounds

:lmao

timvp
11-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Yuta Tabuse is max 5-foot-5 and 150 pounds. He's a fun player to watch play, though :smokin

BronxCowboy
11-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Is Oliver Miller not in the league anymore? Wasn't he playing for the Wolves? Shouldn't he be up there on that list somewhere?

ChumpDumper
11-07-2004, 11:34 AM
The Big O is back in the CBA.

Useruser666
11-07-2004, 03:24 PM
The Big-O is now a solid filled donut.