PDA

View Full Version : The Official Hip Hop Thread

timvp
11-07-2004, 05:00 AM
Is rap dead? What new songs are worth checking out?

:fro

mouse
11-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Bro when was it alive? JK :lmao

I don't really listen to much hip hop after the fat boys broke up. But I can say this, Why can't many rap artist come up with there own songs? and why does no doubt have to do a song by Talk Talk? I know what I don't like is when the commercials use songs i used to smoke weed to sell cars, swiffers,and cell phones,

You notice all the large companies rely on old school songs not this refried so called wannabe rap. were is Areil Bender when you need him?

alamo50
11-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Snoop Dogg Moves Album Release To November 16

11/4/2004 9:41:33 AM - by geffen

ALBUM'S SINGLE AND VIDEO #1 URBAN RADIO, #1 BET AND IN MTV'S TOP ROTATION

http://www.mcarecords.com/MCAImageUpload/969780-Full.jpg

(November 3, 2004 - Santa Monica, CA) Grammy nominated recording artist and multi-media star Snoop Dogg's new album R&G: (Rhythm & Gangsta) The Masterpiece will now be released by Geffen Records on November 16. It had been scheduled to hit stores on the 23rd. Retail is expecting a huge smash as Violet Brown the director of Urban Music at the Wherehouse retail chain said, "Snoop's "Drop it Like It's Hot"...is hot and will be hot for a long time. He has given us a huge radio hit and an album filled with even more heat. The title R&G (Rhythm & Gangsta) The Masterpiece sums it up well. R&G is a Snoop Dogg masterpiece! Coast to Coast people will be rockin' this one!"

The first single, from the album, the Neptunes' produced "Drop It Like It's Hot," has raced up the charts and is currently a #1 single at Urban radio and #4 at Crossover radio. "It is rare that we get a record out the box that we know is a hit like this. Hot with the PD's, hot with the phones, hot with the research, the records like dat!" said Doc Wynter, Vice President of Urban Programming, Clear Channel Communication.

The single's alluring black and white video, directed by Paul Hunter (which features Snoop's two sons) is the #1 video on the BET as well as #1 on the channels countdown show 106th & Park. MTV is all over the video putting it in Big Ten rotation, the station's heaviest rotation. As the New York Times urged, "Watch Paul Hunter's beautiful black-and-white video and you can see performers and dancer's testing the limits of cool..."

The buzz from the single is so hot that Jay-Z flew Snoop into New York earlier this week to perform the song with the Neptunes' Pharrell Williams at his sold out Madison Square Garden to show. Needless to say it was a tremendous performance on a show that was like one huge highlight reel.

Snoop will be bringing that performance to TV when he and Pharrell perform "Drop It Like It's Hot," on the American Music Awards on November 14 (airs on ABC) and the Vibe Awards November 15 with Pharrell (airs on UPN on November 16). The two will do the song the following week on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

R&G: (Rhythm & Gangsta) The Masterpiece is the follow up to Snoop's Grammy nominated Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$ (2002) which yielded his # 1 hit "Beautiful."

On the heels of the success of "Beautiful" Snoop collaborates with The Neptunes once again for his new album (the duo are credited as co-executive producers; while Snoop is Executive Producer). The album also features collaborations with Pharrell Williams, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, 50 Cent, Lil Jon, Trina, Soopafly, Gap Band founder Charlie Wilson and the great Bootsy Collins.

From the moment Snoop rose to the top of hip hop on Dr. Dre's 1992 Chronic album, the music world recognized he would be a life long force to be reckoned with. He spawned such solo hits as "What's My Name," "Gin & Juice," "Just A Baby Boy," and "Beautiful." He introduced the world to The Eastsidaz and his Doggy Style All Stars. Snoop's talents know no bounds; his notoriety and instantly recognizable persona and voice have garnered him numerous other opportunities and successes. In addition to being an icon in hip hop, Snoop is accomplished as an actor, MTV Show Host, and clothing designer.

snoopdogg.com

:hat

Shelly
11-07-2004, 10:34 AM
As long as Baby Got Back is still played somewhere out there, it will live on.....

Spurminator
11-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if you could classify it as new anymore, but I like Kanye West's "College Dropout" album... speaking as someone who is fairly hip-hop illiterate.

Bandit2981
11-07-2004, 02:13 PM
i bought NWA's Greatest Hits yesterday at Cd Exchange...dat's da REAL shit, not all this bling bling rap nowadays :smokin

SpursWoman
11-07-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm partial to Korn's version of Word Up, myself. :fro

Tonto
11-07-2004, 03:08 PM
What is NWA? .....Negros With Afros?

SequSpur
11-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Hip Hop blows.

E20
11-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Pharoah Monch, Talib Kweli. Regulators Some songs are still alive.

Useruser666
11-07-2004, 03:41 PM
What will be tomorrow's classics? I feel a lot of what's produced today doesn't have the staying power as music used to have. There are a few, but not nearly as many.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Aw man that Korn remake is awful.

The eighties weren't all that great the first time around, please let's not shit upon the good things like this.

Duff McCartney
11-07-2004, 03:52 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XARU4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sportcamper
11-07-2004, 06:44 PM
One thing about RAP...

If the beat is right...The Ladies Will Dance All Night...

To the window! To the wall!...

Skeet Skeet... (http://65.108.80.143/riverdance.jpg)

PeterBurns
11-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Lucifier by Jay-Z (Black Album)
High All The Time (50 Cent)

SpursWoman
11-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Aw man that Korn remake is awful.

Maybe so, but I like Korn...and it was way less creepy than Tainted Love.

:lol

atlfan25
11-07-2004, 11:00 PM
listen to that h-town shit from lil flip, mike jones, paul wall, and chamillionaire. lil flip and david banner are comin out w/ a duet album. that album will be hot and when mike jones finally drops, who is mike jones? the album, that shit is comin soon.

3rdCoast
11-08-2004, 12:30 AM
MAAANNNEEEEEEEE!!!Yall know that when Who Is Mike Jones? The Album drops, its gon be hot. Paul Wall, Lil Flip, Slim Thug, Lil KeKe, Magno - all that shit goes hard, they reppin HTown. Texas Hard Hittaz are reppin the ATX and dont forget about Texas' Finest , Chingo Bling and tha Choppahollix. that shit goes off!!

KEDA
11-08-2004, 09:30 AM
man, I saw Mike Jones in concert and he fuckin blows man. He was like 45 mins. late and on top of that he did about 20-25 minutes of WHO? Mike Jones, WHO Mike Jones, WHO Mike Jones, WHO Mike Jones, and then he left. Worst 15$ Ive EVER spent in my life.

everyone started yealling Mike Jones Blows. Mike Jones Blows, LOL it was some funny shit!

so when his album drops, I hope it fails miserably.

PeterBurns
11-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Great song. Who's Is....
Sad to see he's horrible in concert. But then again no rap is good in concert.
Although 50 cent did do a good job when he came to SA a while back.

Lil Flip was unreal at first, now he's gone a little too mainstream for my liking. His underground stuff was awesome.

He's got a 2 songs that are unreal... 1) "Roof On Fire" 2) Ballin Is A Habit.

Anyone know who's has that song out right now on 98.5. It's not him, but sounds like Biggie. And the hook is "Come original Fatman"

LJ, can you agree that I may be the most white and preppy rap fan ever?

3rdCoast
11-08-2004, 10:54 AM
If yall dont like Mike Jones, then Fuck you. naw, just playin ho

MI21
11-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Mostly shit out there...Only Hip Hop albums I have bought over the last year or so are Jay Z - The Black Album...Kanye West - College Dropout...Royce Da 5'9 - Death is Certain. All very good ablums. I been listening to a bit of Aussie and New Zealand Hip Hop, 2 people in particular. Hilltop Hoods and Scribe. Pretty good stuff.

Eminem's new album drops November 15th, should be class.

IcemanCometh
11-08-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.im-using-the-inter.net/img2/gangsta_rap.jpg

Duff McCartney
11-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Eminem's new album drops November 15th, should be class.

Class and Eminem don't go in the same sentence. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP were really good albums as a whole. But for some reason Eminem is just falling into a formula, he comes out with a catchy pop song bashing current celebs, then some deep song about how fucked up his life and his mom are. It's ridiculous.

His schtick is getting old.

bigzak25
11-08-2004, 12:37 PM
local hiphop and upcoming events....

http://www.prhymemates.com/events.php
:smokin

JFK
11-08-2004, 12:39 PM
i bought NWA's Greatest Hits yesterday at Cd Exchange...dat's da REAL shit, not all this bling bling rap nowadays :smokin

Straight Outta Compton was the best one of their albums!

Duff McCartney
11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Straight Outta Compton was the best one of their albums!

It's funny that they saw themselves as thugs but none of them even had a criminal record with the exception of Easy-E I think.

Nowadays you have guys in prison actually getting record deals. Crazy.

PeterBurns
11-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Back in the Day, Dre.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/utsagolfpb/snoop_wcwc.jpg

timvp
11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
LJ, can you agree that I may be the most white and preppy rap fan ever?

I can confirm.

timvp
11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Texas rap begins and ends with UGK. Everything else is pretty much garbage.

Lil' Flip might have the worst lyrics I ever heard. His songs are okay if you just listen for the beats.

timvp
11-08-2004, 06:56 PM
What I'm listening to these days:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003AB1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Best album of all-time. If you haven't listened to it, you are missing out. It came out like 10 years ago but it's still in rotation.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OMGE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I bought Cee lo's new album a while ago but this one is so much better.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AQS48.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Kori bought this album for herself. It's pretty good.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00027JYPI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Lil' Wayne is going to go down as one of the best rappers ever. You can laugh, but this guy has had skills since he was like 11 years old.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00012FXCW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I know Slow Motion is played out by now, but damn I love that song. Soulja Slim was always one of my favorite down south rappers ... R.I.P.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XXB84.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I didn't think it'd be that good, but I downloaded it and BG was pretty tight on it. The song featuring Soulja Slim is damn classic.

I've listened to Twista for a long ass time but now that he's famous, I wonder if his new albums are good or if he went pop. Victory or Death and Adrenaline Rush are two of my favorite songs of all-time.

MI21
11-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Class and Eminem don't go in the same sentence. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP were really good albums as a whole. But for some reason Eminem is just falling into a formula, he comes out with a catchy pop song bashing current celebs, then some deep song about how fucked up his life and his mom are. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, and that formula has worked. His albums go deeper than his singles, none of my favourite Eminem tracks are singles (excluding Guilty Consience). Don't judge an artist by there singles, If I did that I wouldn't like a lot of my favourite rappers/bands.

MI21
11-09-2004, 07:45 PM
I've listened to Twista for a long ass time but now that he's famous, I wonder if his new albums are good or if he went pop. Victory or Death and Adrenaline Rush are two of my favorite songs of all-time

I can confirm that his latest album isn't as good as his older stuff. I haven't heard a lot of his older stuff, but I do have a few random songs and the new ones can't really compare. It's still ok, and actually quite awesome to listen to in the car or before you go out, but if you want really good hip hip, the newer stuff doesn't really cut it.

MI21
11-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Got the new Eminem album today from a mate, very fucking average.

Some really great verses in there mixed in with some patheticly stupid ones. Mostly terrible beats all produced by Dre or Eminem, very repetitive in speed, sound and feel. The chorus in almost every song borders on sounding like fingernails on a chalkboard, absolutely horrible. Some nice one liners in there, and some cool verses explaining about his "Racist Tape" and also about some of his various beefs with other rappers and performers.

I'm not going to hammer it to much because I haven't had a chance to listen through it over a week or so, but after a few listen throughs I am very very disapointed. Not sure if thats because I have high expectations or not, but either way, this isn't the Eminem I enjoy hearing. I can't say I have heard a tune that comes close to "Kill You", "Sing for the Moment", "Marshall Mathers", "Stan", "Till I Collapse" or any of his top notch songs except MAYBE "Mockingbird" or "Rain Man" and even that is pushing it.

(i've got it on preorder too...fucking waste of money that is)

PeterBurns
11-10-2004, 10:36 AM
TimVP.

Got Front and Back & Side To Side. Maybe my all time favorite.
I haven't heard Juve the Great, but his best album by far was 400 Degrees. Unreal.
Lil Wayne is damn good also. "That's My DJ"

BG was good, haven't heard much of his new stuff though.
Young Bleed.... "How You Do That There"

KEDA
11-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Anyone know who's has that song out right now on 98.5. It's not him, but sounds like Biggie. And the hook is "Come original Fatman"

http://www.guerillablack.com/_img/gcity_mini.jpg

he sounds just ile Biggie Smalls, I have the album, it is pretty good.

Worth the 9.99 at BB

timvp
03-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Bump.

Texas rap begins and ends with UGK. Everything else is pretty much garbage.So damn true. R.I.P. Pimp C :(

Best album of all-time. If you haven't listened to it, you are missing out. It came out like 10 years ago but it's still in rotation.Ras Kass is out of jail and is getting his career back on track. He's the next west coast superstar.

I bought Cee lo's new album a while ago but this one is so much better.Cee-lo is one of the most talented mo-fvckas on the planet. Glad he's finally getting his shine with the mainstream :tu

Lil' Wayne is going to go down as one of the best rappers ever. You can laugh, but this guy has had skills since he was like 11 years old.How many songs is Lil' Wayne on these days? Seriously, you go to the club and like half the songs are featuring Weezy. He deserves it cuz he's been rippin' ish since he was like 11 years old, seriously. 14 years later he's gone a little pop but he remains damn talented. He's on some horrible songs these days but he still brings it about as much as it can possibly be brought'n on those songs.

Oh and the reason why I bumped this thread is because I heard this song:

cZcn3-IXBHo

and for the first time in years I was motivated to download a new song. I thought music was dead. Nothing like a classic song featuring Weezy, Bun B and Devin the Dude to revive timvp's interest.

Anything worth downloading that has come out since ..... well about the time this thread was started?

stretch
03-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Lupe Fiasco > Everything else

mikejones99
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
only bout 6 good artists left, i got my money so did most so it really dont matter anymore

CubanMustGo
03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Bump.

If you had to bump a 3+ year old thread then you probably answered this:

Is rap dead? What new songs are worth checking out?

Road Warrior
03-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Lupe Fiasco > Everything else
Exactly.

While most rappers are talkin about bitches and hoes Lupe drops this.
It's about a boy building up the courage to go talk to a girl he likes.

CS_BYIzWN7w

Fillmoe
03-27-2008, 12:38 AM
lol.... i feel bad for rassy.... dudes career will never get back on track.... he will forever remain underground.... its sad because hes a dope emcee...

and wayne is garb.... been saying that for a minute.....

InRareForm
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Pusha T diss on drake. :wow

Chucho
05-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Pusha T diss on drake. :wow

Honestly, how is Drake NOT dissed more? An upper class Canadian Jew who starred in a teeny drama as the "top" rapper today shows how drastically the culture, and the message, of rap/hip-hop has changed. Considering the times of social unrest and financial inequality, you'd think a Public Enemy, KRS-One, NWA group or Tupac type, political rapper would be hot right now.

I guess it just ins't the ghetto blues it used to be. SAD times if you grew up during the golden era...

Spurminator
05-30-2018, 02:32 PM
Yup. Never understood the appeal of Drake.

monosylab1k
05-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Drake is a solid pop star and makes catchy music, but yeah when he tries to act like a serious rapper he gets annoying very quickly.