PDA

View Full Version : RE: Timvp apologizes to Spurstalk for Elson

kris
12-30-2006, 01:37 AM
I think the real basketball zen master may have been right all along. Elson may not be the complete gazelle-like player I thought he was. Looks like we're heading into the playoffs without a center part duex... or is it tois?

Still the :king

Kori Ellis
12-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Oh, I think he's a gazelle-like player.

It's just too bad that gazelle's don't play basketball.

Solid D
12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Trois. He's fast but he's not very quick to rotate, which was in the early Denver scouting reports prior to his arrival.

Das Texan
12-30-2006, 01:40 AM
If we could put Elson togehter with Rasho together with Nazr we might be alright.

Or see if David Robinson could still play.

Otherwise we are fucked yet again.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Seriously though, Elson is exactly what I thought he'd be when he got here. A guy who can run the floor really well and get some nice dunks because of that. A guy who gets some rebounds here and there and looks good doing it because he jumps fairly high. A guy who doesn't know anything about defense (and doesn't seem to be catching on about rotating). A guy who is too thin to box out much of anyone.

It's going to be center by committee for the Spurs for a while. The Spurs got more athletic and fast with Elson .. and in theory that should help against athletic, fast teams. We'll see if that works out. I wish fast translated to fast rotations.

kris
12-30-2006, 01:42 AM
It would be nice if the Spurs seriously inquired about David. David "out of shape" would be 17x better than anybody else we're currently fielding.

Das Texan
12-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Elson only gets rebounds when the ball finds him.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2006, 01:43 AM
It would be nice if the Spurs seriously inquired about David. David "out of shape" would be 17x better than anybody else we're currently fielding.

:lmao

I think they have a better shot at waiting for David Jr. to grow up than to get David out of retirement.

timvp
12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah, Elson started the season making timvp look bad but since the first couple weeks, he's regressed back into the player I remember watching in summer leagues for all those years.

I do think that he has the athleticism to be at least a decent defender but so far he's like a faster Nazr with better hands who doesn't rebound or block shots as well. And really, Nazr was a much better one-on-one post defender even though he was a horrid team defender.

Das Texan
12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
ok fine.

how about barkley...he was already trying to make his comeback against the eastern conference. let him play with his favorite player and finally get that ring.

old, fat, can't jump barkley is better than what we got right now.

kris
12-30-2006, 01:46 AM
:lmao

I think they have a better shot at waiting for David Jr. to grow up than to get David out of retirement.

I'm getting to old to wait for David Jr. to come along. I'm no spring chicken anymore and I've already lost about 4 steps as a fan. In a few years, I'll start liking the Nuggets. At least their team is exciting.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm getting to old to wait for David Jr. to come along. I'm no spring chicken anymore and I've already lost about 4 steps as a fan. In a few years, I'll start liking the Nuggets. At least they're team is exciting.

Seriously, how old is David Jr.? 13? Maybe we can convince him to skip college. :)

bringBAKElie
12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
it's still fairly early in the season, when he becomes comfortable with the system i think with his atheletic ability he will be fine

Das Texan
12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Seriously, how old is David Jr.? 13? Maybe we can convince him to skip college. :)

is david sr teaching him how to rebound and play defense?

SequSpur
12-30-2006, 01:58 AM
i'm getting sick........

Solid D
12-30-2006, 02:17 AM
i'm getting sick........

Have been hanging around Matt Bonner, too? Poor guy, that virus is really getting passed around.

MannyIsGod
12-30-2006, 02:25 AM
The more minutes Elson has gotten, the more apparent his defensive lapses have become. The Houston game was a HUGE exposure for me, because there was no way on earth he belong in the game with the way he was being manhandled.

I have hope for him to catch on, though. He's new the the defensive system, so hopefully the 2nd half is better for him because Butler is not going to contribute this year.

wildbill2u
12-30-2006, 09:34 AM
The key seems to be matchups. Fortunately, the league isn't full of premier centers.

We have two centers with some abilities and some flaws and one that isn't ready to play according to the coaches.

Let's face it and move on

boutons_
12-30-2006, 10:21 AM
"He's new the the defensive system,"

If his problem were only that. He's better than Nazr, but he's just not a good and/or experienced fundamental basketball player. The look on his face is one of bemusement. "Whoa, what's going on?" "WTF is happening?" and his play looks like his face.

But, we're stuck with him. Better than I had expected from his invisible 3 years in Denver, but he has not contributed as consistently the sporadic (beginner's luck?) help he showed in November.

MrChug
12-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm impressed by Elson's court vision too. He's a surprisingly good interior passer. Good decisions for a center.

SenorSpur
12-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I still believe he is the one defender on the Spurs (other than Bowen) that can guard Dirk with some measure of success. I was very encouraged at his quick footwork, use of his length and his individual positioning when he guarded him 1:1 during the regular season opener. He seemed to relish the challenge of going up against the Mavs top gun. This freed up Bowen to frustrate Howard.

Of course, we won't see him in the next game versus the Mavs because he'll likely be out with the rotator cuff injury.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Spurs should've used Elson more in the last game against Dallas.. I'm sure we would've won if that happened.