PDA

View Full Version : JRich out 2 months with broken hand

Kori Ellis
12-31-2006, 02:13 AM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Golden State guard Jason Richardson could be out for two months after breaking his right hand during the Warriors' game against the Sacramento Kings on Saturday night.

Richardson, the Warriors' leading scorer last season with 23.2 points per game, was hurt during the second quarter, apparently when Mickael Pietrus kicked out his leg while blocking a shot and accidentally kicked Richardson. After X-rays at Arco Arena revealed the break, Richardson was placed in a cast by the Kings' medical staff.

"Somebody coming down on my hand, that's all I remember," Richardson said afterward, his cast poking from underneath the sleeve of his sweater. "It could be a blessing in disguise, so we'll see."

Coach Don Nelson estimates Richardson will be out six to eight weeks, though the actual recovery time won't be known until Golden State's team doctors examine him. Richardson has spent plenty of time with those doctors after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in the offseason - and the high-jumping guard hasn't been the same since.

"We haven't seen the real Jason Richardson anyway," Nelson said. "There was somebody disguised as him playing. Hopefully it's not too much of a setback for him or us. His knee should be really healthy (when he returns)."

Richardson, who had five points when he was injured in Golden State's 119-96 loss, is averaging just 13.1 points and 4.1 rebounds this season. He missed eight games earlier in December with a bone bruise in his left knee.

The sixth-year pro increased his scoring average in each of the last four seasons, but Richardson has shot poorly all season, making just 37.7 percent - worst among the Warriors' regulars.

The Warriors have won four of six, but already were short-handed in the backcourt before Richardson's injury. Monta Ellis has missed three straight games with a bruised right shoulder, and backup Anthony Roberson has a sprained big toe.

"That's a lot of points," guard Baron Davis said. "I've just got to take on as much as I possibly can, and hopefully we can survive and be in a position for a playoff hunt when (Richardson) gets back."

THE SIXTH MAN
12-31-2006, 02:15 AM
Damn that's very unfortunate for this warriors franchise.

trueD
01-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Richardson: "It could be a blessing in disguise, so we'll see."

What does he mean?

Marklar MM
01-01-2007, 04:16 AM
The article mentioned a hurt knee. I am guessing he meant that as his blessing in disguise...being able to heal it up.

trueD
01-01-2007, 05:08 AM
The article mentioned a hurt knee. I am guessing he meant that as his blessing in disguise...being able to heal it up.

Oh, okay...gotcha.