PDA

View Full Version : Ailing Duncan outlasts virus, helps Spurs roll

Solid D
01-01-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010107.01D.BKNspurs.hawks.2f53126.html

Web Posted: 12/31/2006 10:26 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Only time will tell if the stomach virus that has afflicted six players, two trainers, one assistant coach, at least three wives and assorted other family members of the Spurs has finished its weeklong run through the franchise.
For now, though, the Spurs are just glad the bug has yet to sideline its latest victim.

Though feeling far from his best Sunday afternoon, Tim Duncan had 17 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks to help lead the Spurs past Atlanta 95-81 at the AT&T Center.

Duncan missed Saturday's practice after becoming ill. Having seen the virus' impact on five other players, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't think Duncan would play.

"I was surprised," Manu Ginobili said. "I didn't expect him to contribute so much."

Ginobili spoke from experience. He was one of three players to miss Tuesday's loss to Milwaukee because of the virus and said he was feeling almost as bad the next day.

While Ginobili still hasn't completely regained his strength, he scored 18 points against the Hawks while making 8 of 10 shots. Tony Parker, spared by the virus so far, had a game-high 27 points, 17 of which came in the second half.

"I thought (Ginobili) and Tony led the way pretty well for us," Popovich said, "and everybody else filled in."

Robert Horry delivered another steady performance (six rebounds, three assists and two steals) while making his second consecutive start in place of injured center Francisco Elson. Brent Barry (12 points, five rebounds, two steals) helped the Spurs reel off 10 consecutive points at the start of the fourth quarter to distance them from the Hawks, who lost their seventh consecutive game.

Bruce Bowen and Ginobili helped check Hawks guard Joe Johnson, who scored 23 points, but needed 21 shots. Johnson also committed nine turnovers.

Atlanta shot only 39.2 percent and committed 21 turnovers, which the Spurs turned into 27 points.

"I thought Bruce set the tone really well and Manu took pride in doing it," Popovich said. "He knows Bruce is going to get mad at him if he comes in and doesn't continue to hold him down a little bit.

"(Johnson's) a tough cover, but their effort sustained over 48 minutes kind of wore him down a little bit."

The Hawks also grew weary from trying to keep Matt Bonner off the boards. Bonner grabbed a season-best 11 rebounds, seven on offense, and added eight points and three assists, despite missing 8 of 12 shots.

"He really hustles all over the place," Ginobili said. "He was contagious."

Nearly everyone in the Spurs' locker room has been contagious over the past week.

A couple players began to feel sick after the team arrived home following its Dec. 23 game in Oklahoma City.

Ginobili, Barry and Bonner all missed the loss to the Milwaukee and Fabricio Oberto and Jacque Vaughn also became ill.

The Spurs thought the virus had run its course until Duncan phoned in sick Saturday morning. Popovich doubted he would play.

"But he said he wanted to give it a shot," Popovich said. "I took him out early to see how he felt and he said he was pretty good."

At the least, Duncan was strong enough to take advantage of Hawks center Zaza Pachulia and rookie forward Sheldon Williams. Neither could do much to deter him from posting close to the basket.

Duncan helped the Spurs take control in the third quarter. After Ginobili found him for a dunk, he made a short hook shot over Williams. Less than a minute later, Duncan muscled in a layup as Williams fouled him.

Atlanta tried double-teaming Duncan, but that only created shots and driving lanes for his teammates.

"He was very aggressive from the get-go," Parker said.

The Spurs would like to see more of the same in the coming days. They leave today for back-to-back games in Cleveland and Minnesota. On Friday, they play host to Dallas.

While Duncan wasn't feeling great — he left without speaking to reporters — he and the rest of the team hope they're on the mend. They also would prefer to have seen the last of the virus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-01-2007, 12:14 AM
What was that thing Shelden Williams was wearing? It was like an athletic shirt but I saw it with no left sleeve.

Solid D
01-01-2007, 12:22 AM
What was that thing Shelden Williams was wearing? It was like an athletic shirt but I saw it with no left sleeve.

He's trying to heal a shoulder injury. It's a wrap for support.

TDMVPDPOY
01-01-2007, 12:33 AM
JJ has got to be the overrated biatch, his not worth his contract and his always been ginos biatch even when he was with teh suns....