PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Simms signs two-year deal with Tampa

ducks
01-01-2007, 01:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As.tVZu3O0ms5AzFGmRS90H.uLYF?slug=ap-bucs-simms&prov=ap&type=lgns
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Rather than test free agency at the end of the season, injured Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms is remaining with the Buccaneers.

Simms, sidelined since the third week of the season after having his spleen removed, signed a two-year contract extension Wednesday and looks forward to trying to regain his starting job in 2007.

ADVERTISEMENT

Terms of the contract were not released, but Simms described the deal as " starter's money" that shows coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen are committed to him leading the offense.

"It's definitely a load off my shoulders," Simms, wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "got spleen?" said.

"I'm happy to be back more than anything. I like living here. I like the people here and definitely like the organization. I'm happy it's all done."

Simms, the son of Super Bowl-winning quarterback Phil Simms, replaced the injured Brian Griese last season and made 10 starts en route to helping the Bucs win the NFC South and earn a playoff berth for the first time in three years.

He and the team entered training camp with high expectations this year, but the 26-year-old quarterback's season came to an abrupt end in Week Three when he took several hard hits during a loss to the Carolina Panthers and wound up in the hospital after the game.

The Bucs initially believed Simms had bruised ribs and was battling dehydration before he was taken to the emergency room, where it was determined that his spleen was ruptured and needed to be removed.

"It's great to have him back. It's unfortunate that he had an injury to disrupt his season," Gruden said. "He's a young guy who's paid a price and we're excited to have him back."

Simms was 0-3 and had thrown for one touchdown and seven interceptions when he was injured. Rookie Bruce Gradkowski went 3-8 over the next 11 games and Tim Rattay won his first start of the season last week at Cleveland.

Simms, who expects to make a full recovery, said his injury had nothing to do with his decision to not test his worth on the open market.

"Nothing's guaranteed anywhere. ... It comes down to what I'm comfortable with and what I like," the quarterback said.

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I like the offense. I like coach. I like the direction the organization is going. At the end of the day, there's a lot more ifs about what's going to happen out there in free agency than what's going to happen here."