PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard, WC player of the week, AGAIN!

ponky
01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
2nd consecutive week, woohoo!!!

NEW YORK, Jan. 2, 2007 – The Milwaukee Bucks’ Michael Redd and the Dallas Mavericks’ Josh Howard today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Dec. 25 through Sunday, Dec. 31.
Redd, who also won the award for the week of Nov. 27-Dec. 3, averaged 27.0 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists in helping Milwaukee to a 3-1 record last week. He notched 36 points and seven rebounds in a 114-107 win at San Antonio on Dec. 26 and posted 28 points, eight rebounds and four assists in a 119-102 win over Washington on Dec. 30.

Howard, who also won the award last week, registered averages of 21.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.3 blocks in helping Dallas, winners of 10 in a row, to a 4-0 week. He had 28 points, 17 rebounds, five assists and three blocks in Dallas’ 89-85 win at Denver on Dec. 31.

Here is a closer look at the week for Redd and Howard:

Michael Redd, Milwaukee Bucks

Dec. 26 at San Antonio: Posted 36 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals in 114-107 win over the Spurs.
Dec. 27 at Memphis: Tallied 20 points, five rebounds, four assists and one steal in 112-96 win over the Grizzlies.
Dec. 29 at Cleveland: Registered 24 points, two assists and one rebound in 109-99 loss to the Cavaliers.
Dec. 30 vs. Washington: Scored 28 points adding eight rebounds and four assists in 119-102 win over Wizards.

Josh Howard, Dallas Mavericks

Dec. 26 vs. Charlotte: Registered 27 points, eight rebounds, three assists and one steal in 97-84 win over Bobcats.
Dec. 28 vs. Phoenix: Scored 16 points and added 12 rebounds, three steals, two assits and one block in 101-99 win over Suns.
Dec. 30 vs. New Orleans/Oklahoma City: Tallied 15 points, six rebounds, three assists, two steals and one block in 94-80 win over Hornets.
Dec. 31 at Denver: Had 28 points, 17 rebounds, five assists and three blocks in 89-85 win at Nuggets.

Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Detroit’s Richard Hamilton, Houston’s Tracy McGrady, Milwaukee’s Andrew Bogut, Cleveland's LeBron James, Phoenix’s Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, Sacramento’s Mike Bibby and Washington’s Gilbert Arenas.

lurker
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
It still makes me laugh that he was drafted 29th. At least Dallas was smart enough to take him.

dave
01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
it makes me laugh that arenas was drafted 31st

Kori Ellis
01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
A couple other draft day steals:)

Tony Parker - 28th
Manu Ginobili - 57th

Kori Ellis
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
By the way, congrats to JHo. I really like how he's rebounding.

dave
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
another steal - michael redd (43th overall)

Fillmoe
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
no one cares, AGAIN!

Fillmoe
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
another steal - michael redd (43th overall)

43th?

JLH Fans
01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
How about Boozer?
He was about 50. I remember.

LEONARD
01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
JHo Got Crazy Game.........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHvKObUoiNo

:fro

angel_luv
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
no one cares, AGAIN!

Now be nice. It's not like the Mavs' fans have any championship rings to keep track of. :)

I kid.
Player of the week twice in a row is an impressive accomplishment, especially in such a competitive conference. Props. :)

dave
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
43th?
oops....
my bad

big3bigD
01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Parker at 28 is about right for an unknown 19 year old kid from france. In retrospect, he should have been anywhere between 6-11 in that draft though.

Manu was definately a steal at 57th (or whatever it was).

Duncan still gives the team front office grief over not drafting Howard ahead of Dallas. That ended up being a pretty bad pick by the Spurs. They drafted Barbosa and traded him for a future 1st round pick. Who did they draft with that pick anyway? Udrih? I can't inagine how good the Spurs would be with either Howard starting at the 3 or with a backcourt of Barbosa, Manu and TP. We Mavs fans sure missed a bullet on that one. Spurs would easily be the team to beat for a long tome if they had drafted/kept either one of those players....

JHoward has always been a pretty good rebounder, his areas of greatest improvement are on defense, shot selection, and distributing the ball. He has become a much more mature player. Now that he has added a reliable outside shot to his game, there is no question that he is a top forward in the league and deserving of an All-Star spot this year.

FromWayDowntown
01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
The Spurs didn't pick Barbosa and trade him. They traded the #28 pick in that draft before the pick to Phoenix before the pick came up. Because of the NBA's archaic rules about trading picks during a draft, the pick was announced as a Spurs pick, but Barbosa was the guy that Phoenix instructed the Spurs to take. So, Barbosa was never really Spurs property.

The decision to deal the #1 that came back from Phoenix also proved to be fairly canny as well. With Phoenix reaching the elite, the pick lost virtually all of its real value to the Spurs. They never drafted a player represented by that pick; they dealt the pick along with one of their own and Malik Rose to the Knicks for Nazr Mohammed. Mohammed, in turn, played a fairly significant role in bringing a championship to San Antonio in 2005 -- something that arguably wouldn't have happened without the trade.

And, I'm not sure that the Spurs would have won a title in 2005 with either Barbosa or Howard. Moreover, I'm certain that if the Spurs had either of those guys on their payroll right now, the future would be far from settled, because Spurs' ownership doesn't have the limitless pockets of an owner like Cuban -- the Spurs in that situation might not have been able to keep Ginobili or Parker, or would be facing the imminent loss of whichever of the young guys they might have drafted.

JLH Fans
01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Sorry Boozer was not the 50.but the 35.pick in 2002.
But a steal anyway isn' he?

Budkin
01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
As much as I dislike the Mavs, I love watching Howard. Dude has the total package and crazy game. He is just going to get better too. It's so painful that the Spurs passed on him.

Amare_32
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Why? Did he learn the right time to call a timeout?
________
Vaporizer pipe (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Xylus
01-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Why? Did he learn the right time to call a timeout?
Pfft, don't criticize the guy. Josh Howard is a great player, and I'd love to have him on my team. He's one of the few things I actually like about this Dallas squad.

N4th4n
01-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Pfft, don't criticize the guy. Josh Howard is a great player, and I'd love to have him on my team. He's one of the few things I actually like about this Dallas squad.

I would like him alot more if he had not developed the habit or tripping our players on fast breaks durring the WCF last year. He has game but hes a dirty bastard.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-03-2007, 03:11 AM
Jordan at the third pick in 84' was the biggest steal of all time.

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 03:50 AM
JHoward has always been a pretty good rebounder, his areas of greatest improvement are on defense, shot selection, and distributing the ball. He has become a much more mature player. Now that he has added a reliable outside shot to his game, there is no question that he is a top forward in the league and deserving of an All-Star spot this year.

Yeah he's always been a pretty good rebounder. But not 11 rpg good.

I am not sure there is any room for him at the forward spot on the AllStar team - Garnett, Duncan, Dirk, Carmelo, Boozer, Marion. But he's definitely worthy.

mabber
01-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah he's always been a pretty good rebounder. But not 11 rpg good.

I am not sure there is any room for him at the forward spot on the AllStar team - Garnett, Duncan, Dirk, Carmelo, Boozer, Marion. But he's definitely worthy.

Howard has improved in almost all areas from last season but, I agree, it will be tough to make the allstar team. Out of the group you've listed, Marion is the only one I think Howard should go before and even that's debatable. I'd much rather have Howard on my team than Marion though as Howard is a much better halfcourt player and that's what counts in the playoffs. Marion was not much of a factor on the offensive end in the 4th quarters of the Suns/Mavs playoff series.

Mixability
01-03-2007, 01:06 PM
When is the banner going up?

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM

:lol

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Good one...as it seems that all of the posts in this thread were saying that this small award means the Mavs will win a title this year...

Don't hate because the Spurs passed on him...and could REALLY use him about now... :dizzy

ponky
01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Good one...as it seems that all of the posts in this thread were saying that this small award means the Mavs will win a title this year...

Don't hate because the Spurs passed on him...and could REALLY use him about now... :dizzy

Haha, they just got swept by the Cavs, you have to understand the frustration. Getting beat by Varejao and Damon Jones is hella frustrating. :lol

Anyway, I love my boy JHO. When I got a call from the dean of the law school at Wake Forest she and I had a good conversation about Josh and obviously he was a big hit there, she followed all his games...this was the only reason I applied to that school, the basketball!

ponky
01-16-2007, 11:15 PM
haha, now it's DIRK'S TURN!!!!

Wade, Nowitzki Named NBA Players of the Week

NEW YORK, Jan. 16, 2007 – The Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade and the Dallas Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Jan. 8, through Sunday, Jan. 14.

Wade averaged 27.7 points, 10.7 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 2.0 steals in helping Miami to a 3-0 week on the road. He scored 29 points and added 13 assists, five rebounds and one block in the Heat’s 107-103 win at Seattle on Jan. 10, and set a franchise record with 21 free throws made in Miami’s 119-110 win at Utah on Jan. 13.

Nowitzki averaged 32.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.0 steals in helping Dallas to a 4-0 week. He scored 43 points and added 12 rebounds and two assists in Dallas’ 115-113 win at Indiana on Jan. 12, and scored 38 points in games at Utah on Jan. 9 and at Toronto on Jan. 14.

Here is a closer look at the week for Wade and Nowitzki:

Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
# Jan. 10 at Seattle: Posted 29 points, 13 assists, five rebounds and one block in 107-103 win over the Sonics.
# Jan. 12 at Golden State: Tallied 22 points, 10 rebounds, nine assists and three blocks in 118-96 win over the Warriors.
# Jan. 13 at Utah: Registered 32 points, 10 rebounds, six steals and two blocks in 119-110 win over the Jazz.

Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
# Jan. 9 at Utah: Notched 38 points, seven rebounds, two assists and one steal in 108-105 win over the Jazz.
# Jan. 10 vs. Portland: Scored 11 points and added five assists, four rebounds and one steal in 99-74 win over the Trail Blazers.
# Jan. 12 at Indiana: Tallied 43 points, 12 rebounds and two assists in 115-113 win over the Pacers.
# Jan. 14 at Toronto: Had 38 points, 11 rebounds, five assists, three blocks and two steals in 97-96 win over the Raptors.

Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland’s LeBron James, Indiana’s Jermaine O’Neal, Miami’s Jason Kapono, Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett, New Jersey’s Jason Kidd, Phoenix’s Steve Nash and Seattle’s Ray Allen and Nick Collison.

dirk4mvp
01-16-2007, 11:53 PM
nice