PDA

View Full Version : Rockets fire television analyst Calvin Murphy

KoriEllis
09-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Rockets fire television analyst Calvin Murphy
Sports Network

The Hall of Fame guard was indicted on July 1 on six counts, three of indecency with a child and three of aggravated sexual assault. He pleaded not guilty to the charges when they initially surfaced in March.

Murphy, who remains free on $20,000 bail, was granted a requested leave of absence from his broadcasting duties with the Rockets after the original charges were filed. He insists he is innocent and claims the allegations arose from a family conflict over money.

If convicted, Murphy, an analyst for the club for the past 14 seasons, could face five years to life in prison for the aggravated violations and two to 20 years for the indecency offenses. He may be eligible for probation since he doesn't have a criminal history.

The 55-year-old Murphy has fathered 14 children with nine women. Murphy spent all 13 of his NBA seasons with the Rockets franchise and was enshrined into the NBA Hall of Fame in 1993. When he was inducted into the Hall, Murphy was the Rockets' all-time leading scorer (17,949 points, 17.9 ppg) until being passed by Hakeem Olajuwon.

Murphy had his No. 23 jersey retired by Houston in 1984.

Tommy Duncan
09-24-2004, 05:30 PM
In somewhat related news today the global Murphy family announced it had disowned him.

Spurminator
09-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, I certainly hope he wasn't unfairly accused... But on the other hand, Houston Rockets television broadcasts should improve exponentially.

IcemanCometh
09-24-2004, 05:41 PM
worst analyst ever

ducks
09-24-2004, 05:43 PM
the next guy will be dan rather

SpursWoman
09-24-2004, 05:53 PM
The 55-year-old Murphy has fathered 14 children with nine women

WTF? :shock :shock

Tommy Duncan
09-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Where did you think he got his "band" from?

maxpower
09-24-2004, 07:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 55-year-old Murphy has fathered 14 children with nine women
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF? :shock :shock

The only surprising thing here is that the child to woman ratio is not 1:1. Must be some twins thrown in there.

alamo50
09-26-2004, 05:35 AM
He ain't fired:

"No contract has been terminated," Luis said. "He's on paid indefinite leave for the rest of this season pending the outcome of his trial. The understanding has been to revisit this and see where we are once it's done."

Link (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_ROCKETS_MURPHY_FIRED?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

I hope all of this is so untrue and he will be back to broadcast for the Rockets very soon as I love to listen to him.

SequSpur
09-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Dude is not coming back Alamo. Don't people in Holland know what molestation is? WGAF if you like to listen to him. We think he should be shot.

I hope you aren't the poster child for Hollanders. Because you're stupid.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2004, 05:39 PM
I think his kids just want money personally.