PDA

View Full Version : Szczerbiak a bright spot for Wolves

ducks
05-26-2004, 09:19 PM
szczerbiak stars in losing cause for Timberwolves
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
May 26, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Wally Szczerbiak sat at his locker with both knees, his left foot and lower back all packed in ice.
He said he felt great physically.
It was clear he didn't feel so good otherwise.
The Minnesota Timberwolves were reduced to having the oft-injured Szczerbiak carry the offensive load for most of the second half Tuesday night, and he did quite well, especially in the third quarter.
But it wasn't enough as the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Timberwolves 100-89 for a 2-1 lead in the Western Conference finals.
``I didn't think our energy was very good, especially in the first half,'' Szczerbiak said. ``We've got to bring it in Game 4. We know what it takes to beat these guys. It's not going to be easy.''
Szczerbiak, who spent most of the season sidelined with injuries, outscored the Lakers 14-8 by himself during one stretch as the Timberwolves moved within two points late in the third quarter.
But the Lakers responded with a 19-7 run for an 85-72 lead midway through the fourth quarter. Szczerbiak scored to make it an 11-point game before Kobe Bryant made two 3-pointers to put the Lakers on top 91-74 with 4:44 remaining.
The Timberwolves rallied in the waning minutes, getting as close as seven points, but the 17-point deficit was too much to overcome.
``We made a run there, cut it to seven and Darrick (Martin) had a 3 go in-and-out,'' Szczerbiak said. ``Hopefully we can carry that into Game 4.''
The scoring load fell to Szczerbiak because the Lakers pretty much held MVP Kevin Garnett in check, Latrell Sprewell had an off night until the outcome was decided, and Sam Cassell spent most of the second half on the bench with his sore back.
``I can put points on the board, that's what this team asks me to do off the bench,'' Szczerbiak said. ``I worked on some things in the offseason and they're paying off.''
Szczerbiak finished with all but two of his 21 points in the second half. He played only eight minutes in the first half, and a fan yelled, ``Get a tan'' after his only basket.
Typical Hollywood.
Szczerbiak shot 6-of-12, including 2-of-4 from 3-point range, went 7-of-7 from the foul line, and had seven rebounds, two assists and two steals.
``He's kind of like our Vinnie Johnson,'' teammate Fred Hoiberg said of Szczerbiak, referring to the hot-shooting guard who came off the bench for two championship teams with the Detroit Pistons in the late 1980s.
``We really need his scoring off the bench,'' Hoiberg said. ``He does that as well as anybody. He's a starter on most teams. He's the reason the game was close in the third quarter.''

Szczerbiak missed the first 53 games of the season due to a strained plantar fascia in his left foot. He averaged 10.2 points in a career-low 28 games.

He missed six playoff games due to broken bones in his back, an injury sustained April 24 at Denver, before returning to action in Game 3 of the Sacramento series. He averaged 9.8 points in eight previous playoff games.

``I feel like I've really worked hard to get back for the playoffs,'' he said.

Szczerbiak, a five-year veteran taken by the Timberwolves with the sixth overall pick in the 1999 draft, scored nine points in their 97-88 loss to the Lakers in Game 1 of this series and 16 in their 89-71 victory in Game 2.
Cassell, who played only 43 seconds in Game 2, had 18 points in 26 minutes Tuesday night. But he played only six minutes in the third quarter and one in the fourth.
``It tightened up on me, baby,'' he said of his back. ``It was a struggle from the beginning. I got 26 minutes out of the game today, which was good, considering my condition.
``It won't get better until after the season. It's the hand I've been dealt, I've got to play it. I can't throw it in.''
Cassell clearly wasn't himself at the defensive end. Lakers guard Gary Payton, defended by Cassell, scored 14 of his 18 points in the first 8 1/2 minutes.
When asked if Payton and the Lakers were testing him, Cassell replied: ``I've been tested all my life.''links (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-losingtimberwolves&prov=ap&type=lgns)