PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs fall to Cavs despite return of leather ball

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Spurs fall to Cavs despite return of leather ball

Web Posted: 01/02/2007 10:31 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010307.01C.BKNspurs.cavs.gamer.12b72a1.html

CLEVELAND — And, now, from the Department of Be Careful What You Wish For ...

The Spurs got their leather basketball back, as most of them wanted, Tuesday night, then someone apparently forgot to tell them what to do with it.

The Spurs made only three shots during an 18-minute stretch in the second half, which would have been bad enough had Larry Hughes not found his stroke to save Cleveland. Together, it was enough for the Cavaliers to beat the Spurs 82-78 at Quicken Loans Arena.

Hughes scored 13 of Cleveland's 38 points in the fourth quarter as the Cavaliers rallied past the Spurs. The Cavaliers totaled 44 points in the first three quarters.

The Spurs shot 34.4 percent in the second half while committing 12 turnovers.

"I thought we were playing good defense for three quarters, then everything goes to hell in the fourth quarter," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Popovich didn't bother to stick around and watch the finish. Official Kevin Fehr ejected him with 5:56 remaining.

The incident started when Donyell Marshall blocked Tim Duncan from behind. Duncan complained about the non-call, then Popovich yelled at Fehr, who hit him with a technical.

Popovich then marched nearly all the way to the opposite free-throw line to scream at Fehr. Fehr appeared hesitant to give Popovich a second technical, but Popovich continued to yell as his assistants held him back, so Fehr ejected him.

"I didn't want there to be any equivocation on the official's part as to whether he should boot me or not," Popovich said. "I wanted to make it easy for him.

"That can be embarrassing for an official if you're not sure whether you really want to go or not. I thought he did a great job."

P.J. Carlesimo also picked up a technical somewhere in the mix. Damon Jones made two of the three free throws to extend Cleveland's lead to seven.

"They got a couple of points at a time when the calls were going their way, shots were going their way," Duncan said. "So, in many different respects, it was a turning point."

Notebook: LeBron James said he'd love a poster of his soaring slam over Duncan on Nov. 3 if there is one. "I'd put it in my son's room," he said.

TwoHandJam
01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Boy that James sure is a class act.

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I'll give it to him, it was a great dunk :)

Budkin
01-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Cavs own the Spurs... this year.

timvp
01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
"They got a couple of points at a time when the calls were going their way, shots were going their way," Duncan said. "So, in many different respects, it was a turning point."
http://www.teampuss.com/forums/images/smiles/gay.gif

bigfundamental21
01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Cavs own the Spurs... this year.

I wouldn't call today's game owning anything... no matter what team walked away with the W it was UGLY. And you can't blame it on the new-old ball. That was some bad basketball. It was painful to watch, even more painful because the Spurs sucked more than the Cavs.

SequSpur
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Ludden is a fucking puss.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
"it was a great dunk"

... and then Tim stumbled like a broken down mare into the backboard support. Pathetic effort.

Brent showed more balls and competitiveness tonight in anticipating and taking Le Bron charges than Tim ever has.

Skinny ol' Brent knocked the racing LeBron flat on his back.

Budkin
01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.teampuss.com/forums/images/smiles/gay.gif

Duncan needs to STFU and dominate the game like I know he still can.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Ludden is a fucking puss.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
He seriously does need to shut the fuck up and start dominating.

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
From the Cleveland Paper ...

Cavs grind out a win
Spurs fall in gritty game coach says shows `mental toughness'
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/16370834.htm

CLEVELAND - There's something about the San Antonio Spurs that brings out the best in the Cavaliers.

The two teams played a game Tuesday that was just as rough and leathery as the freshly returned old school basketball, which suited the coaches just fine. More important than the style of play to the Cavs, though, was their fashion of play.

Instead of being undone by their weaknesses and the inevitable dead spots during the contest, a common trait in their losses, the Cavs bore down and overcame. Overcame their own faults, the Spurs' strengths and even some irritated hometown fans.

It added up to a hard-fought 82-78 win, the Cavs' fourth in their past five games. It was also the third consecutive time the Cavs have beaten the Spurs, and it was the first sweep of San Antonio since the 1988-89 season.

It was a bizarre and ugly game. The first three quarters were a grinding defensive slugfest, the fourth was an emotional and fast-paced sprint to the finish. Officials seemed fine to let it play out, allowing roughhousing both ways that frustrated both sides, the Spurs a little more in the end.

Yet, the Cavs (18-12) were able to handle it all, resisting the temptation they've given into on so many occasions this season of letting their focus wane. When the Spurs (23-9) played great defense, and they did for most of the game, the Cavs matched them. When the Spurs hit a few clutch shots, the Cavs made a few more.

``We all showed mental toughness, we all showed grit,'' said Cavs coach Mike Brown, who is 3-1 against his mentor, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. ``We won the game the right way.''

It was certainly Brown's way. He has long preached that defensive stops can overwhelm offensive deficiencies, a creed he learned under Popovich as an assistant. That was certainly true in this one, both teams were having bad shooting games, and they both were trying to win by keeping the other from scoring.

The Spurs' swarming defense kept the Cavs from doing almost anything offensively for the first three quarters; they managed just 44 points. Bruce Bowen was strong against LeBron James, who had just 19 points, and the Spurs doubled James and favored his right side, sometimes bringing a third defender when he drove. When he passed, few of his teammates made their open shots.

But the Cavs had plans to stop Spurs star Tim Duncan, who had 18 points but was just 6-of-15 shooting. They double teamed and slapped at the ball. Eric Snow got four steals in the game, all as he battled the ball free when a Spur brought it into the lane. Larry Hughes did the same, getting three steals, as the Cavs had 12 steals and eight blocks to shut down the Spurs.

It wasn't all that enjoyable to watch from a fan's perspective, and the crowd booed the Cavs several times after the offense failed to execute. But they were never out of the game, which paid off in the stretch run.

Hughes, who was the target of boos, gave the Cavs the lift they needed by finding his jumper in the fourth quarter. Though it was hardly good-looking offense, Hughes hit four jumpers, three 3-pointers and a jumper than came with a foul for a 3-point play in the fourth.

Dribbles

Donyell Marshall was taken off in the fourth quarter after suffering a contusion on his neck, he's listed as day-to-day... Anderson Varejao drew two offensive fouls and has 30 for the season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tek_XX
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I doubt Tim Duncan is in King James' realm of thought, he probably just thinks it was a good dunk over some player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-03-2007, 12:57 AM
"I didn't want there to be any equivocation on the official's part as to whether he should boot me or not," Popovich said. "I wanted to make it easy for him.

"That can be embarrassing for an official if you're not sure whether you really want to go or not. I thought he did a great job."

And you gave Cleveland two points that put the game out of reach at the end of an otherwise nice late comeback.

Thanks, dumbass.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Maybe it was different in the first half, but all I saw in the second half was a bunch of clanging of open shots, not particularly good defense.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
:lol That seemed like a really "safe" article by Ludden......

Russ
01-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Overall, I thought the way the Spurs' overall play was a positive -- good D, good ball movement, etc. Probably their best game in some time. However, they ran into a good team that got hot while the Spurs got cold; sometimes it happens. I get the sense that this team is on a mission and that will be apparent come playoff time.

Walton Buys Off Me
01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
If James is proud dunking over a lazy, disinterested disgrace like Duncan, then good for him.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
"good D"

giving up 38 pts in the 4th qtr?

Mavs are on mission, like the Pistons were last season.
The Spurs have their heads up their asses.

and a great game @MIN won't change that. The Spurs just don't care about playing good basketball.

I think the Spurs perversely enjoy these shitty games because the surrounding drama distracts them from their boredom. Damn neurotic team.

IIRC, Tim gets paid for 82 games AND the playoffs, not just for the playoffs.
Earn the fucking money.

VaSpursFan
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Overall, I thought the way the Spurs' overall play was a positive -- good D, good ball movement, etc. Probably their best game in some time. However, they ran into a good team that got hot while the Spurs got cold; sometimes it happens. I get the sense that this team is on a mission and that will be apparent come playoff time.

good ball movement? good d? did you watch the game. the best defenders on the court were the rims because neither team could score through 3 qtrs the cavs finally found the touch and scored 38 points in the fourth...against the good d. that was just a shitty game to watch with the offensive ineptitude displayed by both teams.

bdictjames
01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
At least we did not give up over a 100 points; the defensive effort is still obviously there

roms10
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
can't we make one defensive effort plus one offensive effort in one game?

VaSpursFan
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
At least we did not give up over a 100 points; the defensive effort is still obviously there

i may have been convinced about the defensive effort it the cavs didn't explode for 38 in the 4th. where was the defense then?

this game was merely a demonstration of 2 horribly, offensively challenged teams for 3 quarters until the cavs found their offense in the fourth. don't believe the fools gold around the score, this was not a defensive battle.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 11:26 AM
:wtf Lebron has a son? How old is he...?

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 11:41 AM
:wtf Lebron has a son? How old is he...?Don't worry, you're not the mother.