PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein Execution Video

Mr. Peabody
01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7532034279766935521

I had some reservations about posting the link here, so if anyone finds it inappropriate please feel free to delete the thread.

TheSanityAnnex
01-03-2007, 12:31 AM
This was so 2006 :dramaquee

DarkReign
01-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Disgusting really. I derive no pleasure from such things.

desflood
01-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, even if he was the one person on earth most deserving of a hanging (and he was), doesn't make me want to watch him die any more. Nothing against you for posting the link, though. I actually wondered why somebody hadn't done it before.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Eh...sick as the video is, and as much as I don't want to see somebody die, I think that it should have been broadcast on cable television. This is because people support an execution, but often as an abstraction, as an idea. They love the thought of somebody getting what they deserve, but if they haven't seen it happen, it is easy to write it off as a quick, reasonable end for a perverse mad man.

We should have all executions shown on television to give people a sense of responsibility and understanding behind what they have supported or promoted. If we are going to kill people, at least make people understand what that means.

If it is too horrible to watch, it is too horrible to do.

Slomo
01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Eh...sick as the video is, and as much as I don't want to see somebody die, I think that it should have been broadcast on cable television. This is because people support an execution, but often as an abstraction, as an idea. They love the thought of somebody getting what they deserve, but if they haven't seen it happen, it is easy to write it off as a quick, reasonable end for a perverse mad man.

We should have all executions shown on television to give people a sense of responsibility and understanding behind what they have supported or promoted. If we are going to kill people, at least make people understand what that means.

If it is too horrible to watch, it is too horrible to do.I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure if showing executions on TV would have the effect you're describing.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure if showing executions on TV would have the effect you're describing.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. But it is not so much for the purpose of eliminating executions through a greater understanding and exposure, but simply putting it out there where people all but have to see it, so that they will have some measure of accountability, so that they can no longer pretend it happens differently that it actually does.

xrayzebra
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
^^Then we should show all the mangled bodies in a car accident and that would
surely stop car accidents, right?

He got what he deserved and I found nothing disgusting in the execution. He
dropped thru a trap door and was dead.

Spurminator
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I guess you'd have to show that public hangings in the old days had an adverse effect on the public's view of capital punishment. My guess is it didn't.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
^^Then we should show all the mangled bodies in a car accident and that would
surely stop car accidents, right?

He got what he deserved and I found nothing disgusting in the execution. He
dropped thru a trap door and was dead.

While what you said had no correlation to the matter at hand, and was completely absurd and pointless, I will address it anyway for shits and giggles.

Car accidents are not things which are voted on, and happen by law and purported actions. They are...here we go....ACCIDENTS.

Saddam's execution was no accident, it was supposed to happen, or at least I hope nobody is stupid enough to have thought putting the rope around his neck would have some positive outcome for his physical and mental health and stability.

My views on the death penalty are not relevant in this situation, I just believe that we should witness what we dictate. If we decide that somebody is worthy of death, and never see what the death of a human being by hanging, the electric chair, or lethal injection looks like, then we lose all personal responsibility for our actions.

Does anybody believe that televising aspects of the Iraq war has been bad? Whether you are a peace activist, a specific war-hater, or a war-hawk, it does not matter, we all need to see what we promote, or what we allow.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. But it is not so much for the purpose of eliminating executions through a greater understanding and exposure, but simply putting it out there where people all but have to see it, so that they will have some measure of accountability, so that they can no longer pretend it happens differently that it actually does.

I agree, sort of. I'm all for capital punishment, but death by hanging is a little out dated I think, even for Saddam. The way we do it here in the good old United States is just fine by me. I'd have no problems seeing someone put to sleep and then given a shot that stops their heart AFTER they are already asleep.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I guess you'd have to show that public hangings in the old days had an adverse effect on the public's view of capital punishment. My guess is it didn't.

It is a different society, a different era. People in those days were ignorant, uneducated, and unhappy. They had no problems seeing complete strangers suffer and die, it was part of their daily life....they thought it had to happen, and there was nothing wrong with it.

And don't try to argue that we are the same people...when even the sick perverts in spurstalk weren't excited about seeing a mass murderer hung on grainy, fuzzy cell-phone footage. It is a different age, and we would respond to it differently.

Hell, even if we didn't all respond differently, it is not relevant. We just need to be shown what we are doing, it is never good to be blind of your actions and their consequences.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree, sort of. I'm all for capital punishment, but death by hanging is a little out dated I think, even for Saddam. The way we do it here in the good old United States is just fine by me. I'd have no problems seeing someone put to sleep and then given a shot that stops their heart AFTER they are already asleep.

Well, not that it is entirely relevant to the debate, but I personally do not care if the form of execution is humane or not...I do not support its use.

Its funny, 2 years ago, I was a staunch supporter of the death penalty, wrote a paper in support of its use, and halfway through the essay I had turned myself, inadvertantly, against the death penalty.

I don't see any reasons for the death penalty to be used, at all. There are, depending on who you are, religious, moral, ethical, logical, etc. reasons why it is a mistake, and a mark of a lack of societal progress..

But, another day, another thread.

Spurminator
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
People in those days were ignorant, uneducated, and unhappy. They had no problems seeing complete strangers suffer and die, it was part of their daily life....they thought it had to happen, and there was nothing wrong with it.

And in your scenario, where people watch executions with regularity, this would be no different.

I don't think we are all that much different at our core. I think a good portion of society is more enlightened, but there's nothing saying that enlightenment can't be reversed.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
And in your scenario, where people watch executions with regularity, this would be no different.

I don't think we are all that much different at our core. I think a good portion of society is more enlightened, but there's nothing saying that enlightenment can't be reversed.

The liberalization of society has changed that...with human rights groups, 24 hour news broadcasts, video, better coroner examinations, etc...things are made more personal, and attacked more vehemently.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, not that it is entirely relevant to the debate, but I personally do not care if the form of execution is humane or not...I do not support its use.

Its funny, 2 years ago, I was a staunch supporter of the death penalty, wrote a paper in support of its use, and halfway through the essay I had turned myself, inadvertantly, against the death penalty.

I don't see any reasons for the death penalty to be used, at all. There are, depending on who you are, religious, moral, ethical, logical, etc. reasons why it is a mistake, and a mark of a lack of societal progress..

But, another day, another thread.

Nah, not another day or another thread. The argument for or against capital punishment is not one that will be "won" by either side. People are either for it or against it and it's a matter of opinion. I see both sides views, but I'm still for it and that probably won't ever change.

However, my view on abortion has changed over the years, so who the hell knows?

shelshor
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure if showing executions on TV would have the effect you're describing.
Back in the day when executions were held in public, there were fireworks, calliopes and clowns, not to mention snake oil salesmen and dancing girls---and just about everybody attended and, from most reports, had a grand old time

turambar85
01-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Nah, not another day or another thread. The argument for or against capital punishment is not one that will be "won" by either side. People are either for it or against it and it's a matter of opinion. I see both sides views, but I'm still for it and that probably won't ever change.

However, my view on abortion has changed over the years, so who the hell knows?

Wait a bloody second...lol...

We kill people over a matter of opinion? How fucking backwards is that??? lol

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Wait a bloody second...lol...

We kill people over a matter of opinion? How fucking backwards is that??? lol

My bad, I meant that someone's view on capital punishment is a matter of opinion.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
My bad, I meant that someone's view on capital punishment is a matter of opinion.

But policy is made of the views of the common people. Yours, mine, even Boutons and X-rays, as sick as that is...

If you base a view, one regarding life and death, on opinion, and opinion shapes public policy, then the death penalty is based on opinion.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
"Boutons .... as sick as that is..."

I'm sick because I'm anti-dubya, anti-Repug, anti-bullshit Iraq war, anti-wasting 3000 US military lives? YOU'RE the fucking sicko.

Capital punishment is governed by law. If enough people want capital punishment il/legalized, then they elect the legislators to change law.

Nobody is above the law, but the law is defined by the people who vote the legislators.

clambake
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
In this case, it's also about timing. Big mistake. We keep making big mistakes by repeating the same type of actions and expecting a different result. It's insane.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 01:53 PM
"Boutons .... as sick as that is..."

I'm sick because I'm anti-dubya, anti-Repug, anti-bullshit Iraq war, anti-wasting 3000 US military lives? YOU'RE the fucking sicko.

Capital punishment is governed by law. If enough people want capital punishment il/legalized, then they elect the legislators to change law.

Nobody is above the law, but the law is defined by the people who vote the legislators.

LOL, man you don't even take 10 seconds to figure out what someone is saying...hell, you didn't even read the entire sentence.

"Boutons and X-rays"

Each of you are extremist, narrow-minded, hate-filled lunatics who rave all day to no avail like the insane blogomaniacs you are.

And no, I don't think youre sick for hating on the war...I have been to multiple war protests since its onset, so I can hardly be described as a "fucking sicko" for that.

Congratulations for proving my point.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
LOL, man you don't even take 10 seconds to figure out what someone is saying...hell, you didn't even read the entire sentence.

"Boutons and X-rays"

Each of you are extremist, narrow-minded, hate-filled lunatics who rave all day to no avail like the insane blogomaniacs you are.

And no, I don't think youre sick for hating on the war...I have been to multiple war protests since its onset, so I can hardly be described as a "fucking sicko" for that.

:lol :lol :lol

Nbadan
01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Sooner or later Saddam had to die, whether it was by hanging, fire-squad, or chemical induction, but there should be dignity in death even for evil bastards like Saddam. The trial and execution were a farce. I understand that the executioners had to wear masks for their own protection, but the Berg murders wore masks too, hello? Them praising religious Shiia leaders, Maqtada Al-Sadr and his father as Saddam died was chilling and very definitive of just how compromised the Iraqi government has become.

DarkReign
01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Them praising religious Shiia leaders, Maqtada Al-Sadr and his father as Saddam died was chilling and very definitive of just how compromised the Iraqi government has become.

Totally, unequivocally true. Just proves how fucked the phrase "Iraqi Democracy" really is.

What a fucking farce. And it just gets worse.

Ocotillo
01-03-2007, 03:38 PM
^^That...............is what 3002 Americans have given their life for.

A bunch of thugs bloodletting for revenge rather than justice.

xrayzebra
01-03-2007, 04:18 PM

"Boutons and X-rays"

Ah, yes, the level headed thinking of a rational person. Someone
disagrees with his point of view, well just read the above post.

You are a real piece of work my young friend. Your outlook on life,
and the real world is about as precise as pissing in the wind.
You think protesting will solve all the problems of the world.

You had better start worrying about your future in a United States
filled with pacifist and cowards who have no backbone in upholding
the principles that made this country what is WAS.

Hanging a sorry SOB like Saddam, who killed millions and got himself
hung for so doing is of no consequence. He got his justice, at the
end of a rope. An easier, more humane death than he gave many
who he killed.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Ah, yes, the level headed thinking of a rational person. Someone
disagrees with his point of view, well just read the above post.

You are a real piece of work my young friend. Your outlook on life,
and the real world is about as precise as pissing in the wind.
You think protesting will solve all the problems of the world.

You had better start worrying about your future in a United States
filled with pacifist and cowards who have no backbone in upholding
the principles that made this country what is WAS.

Hanging a sorry SOB like Saddam, who killed millions and got himself
hung for so doing is of no consequence. He got his justice, at the
end of a rope. An easier, more humane death than he gave many
who he killed.

LOL, man...it is like clockwork, Boutons spouts off, and X-ray goes on a completely pointless tangent.

I said what I said to Boutons because, as predicted, he screamed, cussed, and all-in-all made a giant ass of himself for someone calling him out. And, surprisingly, he managed to tie it into "dubya-dickhead, Iraq war, etc." He was custom built with 4 automatic responses to any comment and/or statement.

You, on the other hand, rather than being built with 4 precise comments, come fully loaded with a random assortment of nostalgic comments about the good old days, whining about how education ruins people, or how the youth, such as myself, have no idea how the world really works. It is, as with buttons, completly predictable.

I do not believe that attending a protest makes me a productive citizen, or will likely change the world, but do not write it off wholesale either...many people, from Parks to Gandhi, have accomplished a lot with simply non-violently protesting behaviour or politics.

Now...not to argue the merits of Saddam, but did he really kill millions? Where is you backing for this claim? As bloody as the Iraq war has been, and as long as it has drawn out, we haven't managed to do that yet. Don't just make random, whacko comments to attempt to justify your point of view, it doesn't work.

Also, people in a progessive, forward thinking nation, such as the United States, do not do things and say "it is better than what they gave to others." It doesn't work that way. You deem an action to be morally correct based on a set of criteria that stand alone from the actions of the accused. Morality is not based on circumstantial situational comparison. That would be like saying that it is ok to punch a mean old lady because one swift shot is better than she gave you by bitching for years, and then cutting you out of her will, compared to the punching of a sweet little old woman. Punching old women is always wrong, and so is taking the right of killing another human being into your hands.

DarkReign
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Now...not to argue the merits of Saddam, but did he really kill millions? Where is you backing for this claim? As bloody as the Iraq war has been, and as long as it has drawn out, we haven't managed to do that yet. Don't just make random, whacko comments to attempt to justify your point of view, it doesn't work.

While I wouldnt claim he killed millions, to argue whether he was guilty of genocide isnt up for debate. At all. Ever. Period.

Ocotillo
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
^^ the "millions" number could come from the Iraq/Iran war in the 80s....

turambar85
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
While I wouldnt claim he killed millions, to argue whether he was guilty of genocide isnt up for debate. At all. Ever. Period.

Oh, no, I wouldn't argue that he hasn't done that either. The claim of millions was just an example of misguided exaggerations by X-ray where he hopes to make a point without somebody noticing his logical or factual fallacy.

turambar85
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
^^ the "millions" number could come from the Iraq/Iran war in the 80s....

The hang George W. too if totals from both sides of instigated wars count to your total of killed individuals.

DarkReign
01-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh, no, I wouldn't argue that he hasn't done that either. The claim of millions was just an example of misguided exaggerations by X-ray where he hopes to make a point without somebody noticing his logical or factual fallacy.

Then I misunderstood, my apologies.

Ocotillo
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
The hang George W. too if totals from both sides of instigated wars count to your total of killed individuals.

Actually I believed Saddam should have been shipped on to the Hague and tried by the World Court like Milosevic was and left to rot in a cell somewhere.

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM

The article is lenghty so I just copied the parts that were applicable to your assumption.

This is just another point of view for you to consider.
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/us0406/1.htm

In the standard method of lethal injection used in the United States, the prisoner lies strapped to a gurney, a catheter with an intravenous line attached is inserted into his vein, and three drugs are injected into the line by executioners hidden behind a wall. The first drug is an anesthetic (sodium thiopental), followed by a paralytic agent (pancuronium bromide), and, finally, a drug that causes the heart to stop beating (potassium chloride).

Although supporters of lethal injection believe the prisoner dies painlessly, there is mounting evidence that prisoners may have experienced excruciating pain during their executions. This should not be surprising given that corrections agencies have not taken the steps necessary to ensure a painless execution. They use a sequence of drugs and a method of administration that were created with minimal expertise and little deliberation three decades ago, and that were then adopted unquestioningly by state officials with no medical or scientific background. Little has changed since then. As a result, prisoners in the United States are executed by means that the American Veterinary Medical Association regards as too cruel to use on dogs and cats.

Corrections agencies continue to display a remarkable lack of due diligence with regard to ascertaining the most “humane” way to kill their prisoners. Even when permitted by statute to consider other drug options, they have not revised their choice of lethal drugs, despite new developments in and knowledge about anesthesia and lethal chemical agents. They continue to use medically unsound procedures to administer the drugs. They have not adopted procedures to make sure the prisoner is in fact deeply unconscious from the anesthesia before the paralyzing second and painful third drugs are administered.

Each of the three drugs, in the massive dosages called for in the protocols, is sufficient by itself to cause the death of the prisoner. Within a minute after it enters the prisoner’s veins, potassium chloride will cause cardiac arrest. Without proper anesthesia, however, the drug acts as a fire moving through the veins. Potassium chloride is so painful that the American Veterinary Medical Association prohibits its use for euthanasia unless a veterinarian establishes that the animal being killed has been placed by an anesthetic agent at a deep level of unconsciousness (a “surgical plane of anesthesia” marked by non-responsiveness to noxious stimuli).

Pancuronium bromide is a neuromuscular blocking agent that paralyzes voluntary muscles, including the lungs and diaphragm. It would eventually cause asphyxiation of the prisoner. The drug, however, does not affect consciousness or the experience of pain. If the prisoner is not sufficiently anesthetized before being injected with pancuronium bromide, he will feel himself suffocating but be unable to draw a breath—a torturous experience, as anyone knows who has been trapped underwater for even a few seconds. The pancuronium bromide will conceal any agony an insufficiently anesthetized prisoner experiences because of the potassium chloride. Indeed, the only apparent purpose of the pancuronium bromide is to keep the prisoner still, saving the witnesses and execution team from observing convulsions or other body movements that might occur from the potassium chloride, and saving corrections officials from having to deal with the public relations and legal consequences of a visibly inhumane execution. At least thirty states have banned the use of neuromuscular blocking agents like pancuronium bromide in animal euthanasia because of the danger of undetected, and hence unrelieved, suffering.

Guru of Nothing
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
What if all death row inmates were sent to a prison loaded with HIV infected whores?

I see a humane win-win way out of this social pickle.

Clandestino
01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
wow guru.. that is some crazy shit...

smeagol
01-06-2007, 04:09 PM
It is a different society, a different era. People in those days were ignorant, uneducated, and unhappy. They had no problems seeing complete strangers suffer and die, it was part of their daily life....they thought it had to happen, and there was nothing wrong with it.
I think man has changed very little from those days.

If somebody with come up with something similar to the Roman Circus, with lions eating people, beasts fighting each other or gladiators, people would pay big bucks to watch it. Hell, sponsors and TV would jump at that shit in a second.

Televised executions would have high ratings, IMO.

Fuck, simply see how much money UFC makes and how many people love it (including dudes that post here). Two men beating the shit up of each other. Hell, boxing was not enough, we had to take the gloves away and let those guys use not only their fists but their legs as well.

And what about those videos some years ago about hobos fighting? Didn't they produce instant millionaires of the idiots who came up with the idea?

No T85, we have not changed that much over the last 4000 years.

boutons_
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
"Saddam, but did he really kill millions?"

Saddam's invasion of Iran, his biggest crime that the US assisted in and DIDN'T wanted him tried for, resulted in over 1 million deaths.

smeagol
01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
"Saddam, but did he really kill millions?"

Saddam's invasion of Iran, his biggest crime that the US assisted in and DIDN'T wanted him tried for, resulted in over 1 million deaths.
I don't think I have seen many other Americans (assuming you are one) dislike America so much.

boutons_
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
"dislike America"

fucking wrong, as usual.

01Snake
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't think I have seen many other Americans (assuming you are one) dislike America so much.

Werd
:toast

boutons_
01-06-2007, 04:57 PM
January 6, 2007

Images of Hanging Make Hussein a Martyr to Many

By HASSAN M. FATTAH

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Jan. 5 — In the week since Saddam Hussein was hanged in an execution steeped in sectarian overtones, his public image in the Arab world, formerly that of a convicted dictator, has undergone a resurgence of admiration and awe.

On the streets, in newspapers and over the Internet, Mr. Hussein has emerged as a Sunni Arab hero who stood calm and composed as his Shiite executioners tormented and abused him.

“No one will ever forget the way in which Saddam was executed,” President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt remarked in an interview with the Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot published Friday and distributed by the official Egyptian news agency. “They turned him into a martyr.”

In Libya, which canceled celebrations of the feast of Id al-Adha after the execution, a government statement said a statue depicting Mr. Hussein in the gallows would be erected, along with a monument to Omar al-Mukhtar, who resisted the Italian invasion of Libya and was hanged by the Italians in 1931.

In Morocco and the Palestinian territories, demonstrators held aloft photographs of Mr. Hussein and condemned the United States.

Here in Beirut, hundreds of members of the Lebanese Baath Party and Palestinian activists marched Friday in a predominantly Sunni neighborhood behind a symbolic coffin representing that of Mr. Hussein and later offered a funeral prayer. Photographs of Mr. Hussein standing up in court, against a backdrop of the Dome of the Rock shrine in Jerusalem, were pasted on city walls near Palestinian refugee camps, praising “Saddam the martyr.”

“God damn America and its spies,” a banner across one major Beirut thoroughfare read. “Our condolences to the nation for the assassination of Saddam, and victory to the Iraqi resistance.”

By standing up to the United States and its client government in Baghdad and dying with seeming dignity, Mr. Hussein appears to have been virtually cleansed of his past.

“Suddenly we forgot that he was a dictator and that he killed thousands of people,” said Roula Haddad, 33, a Lebanese Christian. “All our hatred for him suddenly turned into sympathy, sympathy with someone who was treated unjustly by an occupation force and its collaborators.”

Just a month ago Mr. Hussein was widely dismissed as a criminal who deserved the death penalty, even if his trial was seen as flawed. Much of the Middle East reacted with a collective shrug when he was found guilty of crimes against humanity in November.

But shortly after his execution last Saturday, a video emerged that showed Shiite guards taunting Mr. Hussein, who responded calmly but firmly to them. From then on, many across the region began looking at him as a martyr.

“The Arab world has been devoid of pride for a long time,” said Ahmad Mazin al-Shugairi, who hosts a television show at the Middle East Broadcasting Center that promotes a moderate version of Islam in Saudi Arabia. “The way Saddam acted in court and just before he was executed, with dignity and no fear, struck a chord with Arabs who are desperate for their own leaders to have pride too.”

Ayman Safadi, editor in chief of the independent Jordanian daily Al Ghad, said, “The last image for many was of Saddam taken out of a hole. That has all changed now.”

At the heart of the sudden reversal of opinion was the symbolism of the hasty execution, now framed as an act of sectarian vengeance shrouded in political theater and overseen by the American occupation.

In much of the predominantly Sunni Arab world, the timing of the execution in the early hours of Id al-Adha, which is among the holiest days of the Muslim year, when violence is forbidden and when even Mr. Hussein himself sometimes released prisoners, was seen as a direct insult to the Sunni world.

The contrast between the official video aired without sound on Iraqi television of Mr. Hussein being taken to the gallows and fitted with a noose around his neck and the unauthorized grainy, chaotic recording of the same scene with sound, depicting Shiite militiamen taunting Mr. Hussein with his hands tied, damning him to hell and praising the militant Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr, touched a sectarian nerve.

“He stood as strong as a mountain while he was being hanged,” said Ahmed el-Ghamrawi, a former Egyptian ambassador to Iraq. “He died a strong president and lived as a strong president. This is the image people are left with.”

Daoud Kuttab, a Palestinian media critic and director of the online radio station Ammannet.net, said: “If Saddam had media planners, he could not have planned it better than this. Nobody could ever have imagined that Saddam would have gone down with such dignity.”

Writers and commentators have stopped short of eulogizing the dictator but have looked right past his bloody history as they compare Iraq’s present circumstances with Iraq under Mr. Hussein.

In Jordan, long a bastion of support for Mr. Hussein, many are lionizing him, decrying the timing of the execution and the taunts as part of a Sunni-Shiite conflict.

“Was it a coincidence that Israel, Iran and the United States all welcomed Saddam’s execution?” wrote Hamadeh Faraneh, a columnist for the daily Al Rai. “Was it also a coincidence when Saddam said bravely in front of his tormentors, ‘Long live the nation,’ and that Palestine is Arab, then uttered the declaration of faith? His last words expressed his depth and what he died for.”

Another Jordanian journalist, Muhammad Abu Rumman, wrote in Al Ghad on Thursday: “For the vast majority Saddam is a martyr, even if he made mistakes in his first years of rule. He cleansed himself later by confronting the Americans and by rejecting to negotiate with them.”

Even the pro-Saudi news media, normally critical of Mr. Hussein, chimed in with a more sentimental tone.

In the London-based pan-Arab daily Al Hayat, Bilal Khubbaiz, commenting on Iranian and Israeli praise of the execution, wrote, “Saddam, as Iraq’s ruler, was an iron curtain that prevented the Iranian influence from reaching into the Arab world,” as well as “a formidable party in the Arab-Israeli conflict.”

Zuhayr Qusaybati, also writing in Al Hayat, said the Iraqi prime minister, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, “gave Saddam what he most wanted: he turned him into a martyr in the eyes of many Iraqis, who can now demand revenge.”

“The height of idiocy,” Mr. Qusaybati said, “is for the man who rules Baghdad under American protection not to realize the purpose of rushing the execution, and that the guillotine carries the signature of a Shiite figure as the flames of sectarian division do not spare Shiites or Sunnis in a country grieving for its butchered citizens.”

In Saudi Arabia, poems eulogizing Mr. Hussein have been passed around on cellphones and in e-mail messages.

“Prepare the gun that will avenge Saddam,” a poem published in a Saudi newspaper warned. “The criminal who signed the execution order without valid reason cheated us on our celebration day. How beautiful it will be when the bullet goes through the heart of him who betrayed Arabism.”

Mr. Safadi, the Jordanian editor, said: “In the public’s perception Saddam was terrible, but those people were worse. That final act has really jeopardized the future of Iraq immensely. And we all know this is a blow to the moderate camp in the Arab world.”

Reporting was contributed by Mona el-Naggar from Cairo, Nada Bakri from Beirut, Rasheed Abou al-Samh from Jidda, Saudi Arabia, and Suha Maayeh from Amman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/06/world/middleeast/06arabs.html

=========================

Just fucking amazing how Iraq has been an unending disaster for the naive Repugs who thought they could transform the M/E and for the USA. Even Sadddam's kangaroo court conviction and death has backfired incredibly worse than a Meirs or Kerik nomination or a Rummy war plan. It would have been better had Saddam escaped to Syria, or shot in the spider hoel, than what we have now.

Yes, the Repugs really have transformed the M/E, according to the law of unintended consequences. :lol

you're doing a heckuva job, dubya

Clandestino
01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
stfu boutons... it is funny as hell how even non-americans see your hatred for "your" country.

boutons_
01-06-2007, 09:21 PM
kiss my ass, clanny.

Repugs do not equal USA

Iraq war was doesn't not equal USA

"My country, right or wrong" ?

Heard that 40 years ago, and it's still ignorant, chauvinistic, murderous bullhshit.

Clandestino
01-06-2007, 09:44 PM
lmfao... but you love everything anti-american. no matter what or who says it, as long as it is against the u.s.a., you are all over it.

you and dan, need to pack your sam's size rolls of foil and move to iran, north korea or some other country like to see just how great we have it here. or you could move to europe and let them take half your pay in taxes and make you wait for 2 years for your annual pap smear.

Saddam's Ghost
01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
clandestino, you sound like my kind of guy!

boutons_
01-06-2007, 10:15 PM
"as long as it is against the u.s.a"

link? nope, you can't provide any.

Your Repugs/conservatives/neo-cunts have fucked up horribly and you're taking it even worse.

You don't even know where to start to defend your side.

Eat my shit, clanny.

And get you and your family's chicken-shit asses over to Iraq.

Clandestino
01-06-2007, 11:45 PM
look at any of your posts... that is all you have do..

boutons_
01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
clanny plays the traitor/unpatriotic card against any Repub/war dissenters.
So fucking transparent. It didn't work for the WH.

You're fuckoff since you can't manage any better defense of your side's fuckups.

How you get the wasted blood and body parts of 1000s of US military off your hands, my dear pro-military super-patriot?

Clandestino
01-07-2007, 09:29 AM
it is not that you're anti-war or anti-repub.. you're 100% anti-american. anything american you hate and you relish in anything that is against the u.s. i don't see you as a liberal, democrat nor anything... just a plain, "i hate the u.s." piece of shit. you and nbadan must sit at home jacking off to al jazeera websites and other american hate sites to find pieces to post here.

also, i can guarantee you that if you were able to ask the majority of parents of the dead military personnel if their son/daughter thought the war/their life was a waste they'd say hell no.

Clandestino
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
exactly. the people doing the fighting don't see their time as wasted. why do you and waste of spaces like buttons think it is bullshit?

boutons_
01-07-2007, 10:57 AM
"you're 100% anti-american"

links? no, just your unfounded opinion.

"their son/daughter thought the war/their life was a waste they'd say hell no."

and I don't blame them, nor do I blame those few US military serving in Iraq who still believe in still-born mission. To risk your children's or your own lives for nothing would make anybody a nutcase. They MUST deny reality to preserve their own mental health.

30 years after VN, who can deny that 50K US lives lost and 250K+ injured bodies/minds were wasted? Wasted in the sense that NOTHING was accomplished.

Clandestino
01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
that is what happens when you cut and run. it is like taking antibiotics. you have to finish the medicine to get the full effect.

and it is not only my opinion regarding your u.s. hatred. it is probably what most posters on this board think. it is okay, it is your right. those soldiers you hate have provided that for you.

Nbadan
01-08-2007, 01:39 AM
that is what happens when you cut and run. it is like taking antibiotics. you have to finish the medicine to get the full effect

Even if that medicine is your son or daughter? Even if that medicine is someone else's son or daughter?

turambar85
01-08-2007, 01:44 AM
that is what happens when you cut and run. it is like taking antibiotics. you have to finish the medicine to get the full effect.

and it is not only my opinion regarding your u.s. hatred. it is probably what most posters on this board think. it is okay, it is your right. those soldiers you hate have provided that for you.

Well, you are making a large assumption that the medicine is one that not only works properly, but was also accurately prescribed. If you continue taking a medicine that is not made for your body type, or your disease, then you could end up much worse off than you originally were.

turambar85
01-08-2007, 01:48 AM
it is not that you're anti-war or anti-repub.. you're 100% anti-american. anything american you hate and you relish in anything that is against the u.s. i don't see you as a liberal, democrat nor anything... just a plain, "i hate the u.s." piece of shit. you and nbadan must sit at home jacking off to al jazeera websites and other american hate sites to find pieces to post here.

also, i can guarantee you that if you were able to ask the majority of parents of the dead military personnel if their son/daughter thought the war/their life was a waste they'd say hell no.

I am sorry, but I frequent the english version of Al-jazeera, and have not found it to be overtly biased or slanted. I have seem worse liberal publications, and God knows that Fox News is 10 times as bad.

I bet you haven't even looked at the al-jazeera website, have you? You just assume that it is bad because it is Arabic.

Spurminator
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
How gullible would a news network have to be to think this video is legitimate?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e4f7ff70a1

Al-Jazeera had this posted on their site and aired on their station for days. Any marginally reputable news organization - even Fox News - would have done a little to verify its authenticity (in this video's case, all you need is to watch the video to see how laughably fake it is. Who writes like that??)

Al-Jazeera is nothing more than a vehicle for terrorist propaganda. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because they're less "Rah Rah America" than you perceive the US Media to be that they are somehow a more objective alternative.

PixelPusher
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Interesting that you should use that analogy, since continuous over-use of antibiotics is slowing rendering each strain ineffective as bacteria develop resistances to them.

xrayzebra
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Interesting that you should use that analogy, since continuous over-use of antibiotics is slowing rendering each strain ineffective as bacteria develop resistances to them.

Funny you say that, yourself. Wonder why the Islamic fanatics are hunting
for cover from the Ethiopians, who don't seem to mind using a little force to
get rid of a problem. Hmmmmmmm!

Even stranger, how come all the pacifist aren't screaming for them to stop
killing the Islamic fanatics? Could it be they could care less what you think?

xrayzebra
01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Have you seen the latest video of Saddam with his throat hanging open. Check
out drudgereport.

Clandestino
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I am sorry, but I frequent the english version of Al-jazeera, and have not found it to be overtly biased or slanted. I have seem worse liberal publications, and God knows that Fox News is 10 times as bad.

I bet you haven't even looked at the al-jazeera website, have you? You just assume that it is bad because it is Arabic.

stfu dumbass. my bro in law is arabic, so i am not against arabs. just fucking terrorists... and if don't think aljazeera is slanted you're a fucking retard or a terrorist sympathizer.

Clandestino
01-08-2007, 10:17 PM

that is true, but we find new ways to get rid of them... just as we find new weapons to kill terrorists...

Nbadan
01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Getting rid of any sticky evidence?

Saddam's belongings reportedly looted, vandalised

Saddam Hussein's personal belongings were looted and vandalised within hours of his execution, according to members of his defence team.

An exclusive report in the UAE newspaper, Emirates Today, quotes the lawyers as saying members of the Iraqi government and Shia militia loyal to Muqtada Al Sadr, broke into Saddam's cell and "vandalised his belongings and burnt a copy of the Quran," which the former Iraqi president used to read.

The head of the Jordan Bar Association, Saleh Armouti, and a member of Saddam's defence team, said a number of personal letters and private notes have gone missing.

Another defence lawyer for the late deposed leader has charged that Shia groups burnt Saddam Hussein's Quran. Ziad Najdawi said, "One of the defence team in Baghdad went to take Saddam's Quran but he was told by the militia groups that they burnt it."

The lawyers are also concerned about Saddam's notes, which they say he spent the last two years writing. They say the notes are sensitive and cover his thoughts on political issues, particularly in relation to his time as president of Iraq. "We do not know what happened to them, but they are important parts of the region's history that everybody deserves to read," Najdawi told Emirates Today.

Link (http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/b8de8e630faf3631/id/223726/cs/1)

Wouldn't want to leave any evidence behind implicating anyone else in Saddam's genocide, now would we?