PDA

View Full Version : Utah risks loosing its best teachers

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Yes, this got published. Frankly, I'm not posting this for the article, but for the delicious headline.

And if only for me, chuckle slightly longer at this than you normally would. Let's just say I'm not sad about the Salt Lake Tribune being internationally embarrassed at this headline.

------

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_4892687

Utah risks loosing its best teachers
Jeffrey Luke
Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:12/23/2006 01:13:47 PM MST

Seeing some disturbing recent reports concerning education in this state, I decided it was time to offer my viewpoints as a young teacher in Utah.

The first report was a comparison of Utah salaries with those in our neighbor states of Nevada and Wyoming. As reported in these stories, a new teacher can start out at $33,000 (plus a $2,000 signing bonus) and $40,000 in these states, respectively.

It would be ludicrous to think that these numbers would not draw the attention of any new teacher in this state. They certainly made me think about the possibilities. If I were to go to Wyoming, I would be getting around a 40 percent increase in my salary.

We would be able to afford a real house and land there instead of just the town home we can afford here. My wife wouldn't have to watch the neighbor's kids to pay for our son's gymnastics and preschool classes as she now does.

I wouldn't have to work two summer jobs, and maybe I would be able to sit and enjoy the high school football games instead of working at the gate to help make ends meet. For someone who values family time, the prospect of such an increase is very enticing.

As I think about what these neighbor states offer, I realize the genius (whether intended or not) behind it.

Many in Utah call for increased competition in education to improve the system. Charter schools, tuition tax credits and merit-based pay are the proposed solutions on which our legislators focus. What our neighbors have done is create competition in the quality of teachers applying for available jobs.

They are able to "steal" away the "best and brightest" Utah-educated and Utah-trained teachers, which I would think would be embarrassing to our state leaders who are supposedly dedicated to retaining them. With teacher shortages looming, our neighbors will get the qualified applicants, and Utah will get those less so.

Not to say that Utah won't retain some great teachers, but even a lot of older teachers are tired of just sticking it out because of the "goodness of their hearts" and are counting the years to retirement. When increasing insurance costs all but nullify any pay raise (even creating a pay reduction for younger teachers), it's easy to become dissatisfied with what is happening.

Consider that a Utah teacher with a master's degree and 14 years experience could leave Utah, start at year one on the pay scale in Wyoming and make more money, and the severity of the situation becomes apparent.

The second report that caught my attention was the recent budget request made by the State Board of Education for an additional $70 million to cover increasing enrollment next year. I found it ironic that this number is so close to the income-tax cut that state leaders pushed through in September.

Now, instead of having that money available to offset increasing enrollment numbers, legislators will complain when they have to find $70 million just to maintain the status quo. And that's without funds they should add to try to convince Utah teachers that they are truly valued and appreciated.

We can only hope, as the legislative session draws near, state leaders will see the looming crisis and finally make the hard decisions that they have previously avoided.

State leaders don't want to raise salaries across the board because they fear rewarding mediocre teachers (hence the merit-pay proponents).

What they don't understand is that, if they only maintain the current course, mediocre teachers will be all that are left in this state.

* JEFFREY LUKE is a third-year teacher, living in Payson. He teaches human biology at Timpview High School in Provo, and is married with two children.

The Pied Piper
01-03-2007, 02:49 AM
hahaha

good find JBL.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 03:42 AM
The entire article is almost unreadable.

But the headline is classic.

exstatic
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
What a pissy little article. If it's a forty percent pay raise, why aren't you there already? Are you math impaired as well as English impaired?

At least he isn't an English teacher. THAT would be fucking embarrassing, considering the headline...

01-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Between this headline making it past the editors and the number of corrections you see every day on page 2 of any newspaper in America, is it any wonder their circulation numbers are declining?

boutons_
01-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Hard to pin the misspelling on the teacher, because the headline writer is not necessarily the article writer.

But the headline writer and/or proofreader are certainly guilty.

leemajors
01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
the use of loose as a verb in this situation is grammatically correct. not necessarily current, but not incorrect by any means.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 10:24 AM
loosing as particple is correct, but the syntax is still wrong.

loose as transitive verb means eg untie a knot, or remove a restriction.

lose as transitive verb means to fail to retain or win (lose a grip, lose money).

I doubt the headline writer is aware of the subtleties.

Shelly
01-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm willing to bet that some people here are still trying to figure out what's wrong with the headline.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm willing to bet that some people here are still trying to figure out what's wrong with the headline.

:lol

PM5K
01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Losing...

leemajors
01-03-2007, 11:26 AM

undoubtedly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Between this headline making it past the editors and the number of corrections you see every day on page 2 of any newspaper in America, is it any wonder their circulation numbers are declining?

Actually, that has more to do with other factors such as the instant cycle of the internet rather than one of waiting for the next day's paper for the story.

Also, take into account that if you searched hard enough, you would find errors on every single page of a newspaper. I remember talking with one of the women charged with cleaning up the Chicago Tribune and, prior to a new way of reporting errors from within (which would bring more accountability to whomever allowed the error to publish), I believe it was something in the 6-8 errors per page category (misused commas, spelling, questions within the story, etc.). The new system decreased the errors to about 1-2 per page within a year.

Believe me, if a newspaper wants to survive, they're making a lot stronger effort to correct those and to publish more corrections when they're found.

Would you rather a paper not acknowledge its mistakes and seem as though they are always right or would you rather they be human enough to admit they've had a misspelling somewhere that got by and they will correct it?

Should I never be trusted with a story again and be charged with causing the decline of my paper's circ numbers because I once used the term "murder" instead of "homicide" to say the city had two homicides in 2005?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
the use of loose as a verb in this situation is grammatically correct. not necessarily current, but not incorrect by any means.

loosing as particple is correct, but the syntax is still wrong.

loose as transitive verb means eg untie a knot, or remove a restriction.

lose as transitive verb means to fail to retain or win (lose a grip, lose money).

What a couple of loosers!

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-03-2007, 02:58 PM
The grammar nazis hear really need too losen up.

Guru of Nothing
01-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I think everyone here is missing the obvious Dick Cheney/Wyoming connection here. I'd spell it out, but interested parties would not get it.