PDA

View Full Version : Rescuer pins fallen man as subway passes over them

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/03/subway.rescue.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- A quick-thinking commuter saved a young man who fell on the subway tracks by pushing him down into a trough between the rails, allowing an approaching train to pass over them, police said.

The 18-year-old man had some kind of medical problem Tuesday and fell onto the tracks, which are a few feet below platform level, police said. Wesley Autrey, of Manhattan, saw him fall, jumped down onto the tracks after him and rolled with him into the rut between the rails as a southbound train was coming in.

Autrey said he initially tried to pull the man up to the platform but had to decide whether he could get him up in time to avoid both of them getting hit.

"I just chose to dive on top of him and pin him down and pin myself down," he said. (Watch how shallow the rut is (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2007/01/03/ny.subway.rescue.wabc','2007/01/17');) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2007/01/03/ny.subway.rescue.wabc','2007/01/17');))

The train's operator saw someone on the tracks and put the emergency brakes on. Two cars of the train passed over the men -- with about 2 inches to spare, Autrey said -- before it came to a stop.

The subway trough, which is used for drainage, is typically about 12 inches deep but can be as shallow as 8 or as deep as 24, a New York City Transit spokesman said.

Neither man was hit by the train, police said, and Autrey, who had his two young daughters traveling with him, refused medical attention. The rescued man, whose name had not been released, was taken to a hospital, where he was in stable condition.

Onlooker Patricia Brown said Autrey, a Vietnam War veteran, "needs to be recognized as a hero." Others cheered him and hugged him outside the train station.

The incident took place around 12:45 p.m. Service on the line, which runs between the southern tip of Manhattan and the Bronx, was suspended for about 45 minutes.

:tu

PM5K
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
No question this guy is a hero, if he isn't I don't know who is...

Right?

01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
How'd he fit his balls under the train?

MannyIsGod
01-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Awesome.

MannyIsGod
01-03-2007, 09:54 AM
How'd he fit his balls under the train?LOL

:tu

Quasar
01-03-2007, 09:55 AM
wow. that's real courage!

PM5K
01-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I think if you have to wonder if the guy was courageous or stupid, well that's the measure of a hero...

boutons_
01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
The inarguably courageous part was that he did something.

What he did was arguably stupid, hoping the clearance of the undercarriage was more than the thickness of himself plus the saved guy. The undercarriage just snagging his clothes and both of them would be dead.

I hope some insanely super wealthy person in NYC, there are 1000s of them, rewards this guy so he can quit night shift work.

PM5K
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
The inarguably courageous part was that he did something.

What he did was arguably stupid, hoping the clearance of the undercarriage was more than the thickness of himself plus the saved guy. The undercarriage just snagging his clothes and both of them would be dead.

I hope some insanely super wealthy person in NYC, there are 1000s of them, rewards this guy so he can quit night shift work.

I think we sort of agree, the fact that what he did may have been stupid is what makes him a hero, too many people would have thought of their own safety first, and tried to analyze if it was the smart thing to do, this guy just went out there and saved someone elses life, he didn't think about anything else but that....

boutons_
01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
To risk your life when you have at least two young children to support is a difficult ethical question, the "horns of a dilemma" :)

I lose my and the person's life, and my two children are without a father and provider.

I let the victim die, but my two children still have their father and provider.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 11:17 AM

:rolleyes Are you ever optimistic about anything??? :lol

It takes a special kind of person to do heroics acts to save others while endagering themselves. This man was definitly special :tu

1Parker1
How'd he fit his balls under the train?

:lmao I just read this....:tu :tu

PM5K
Yeah SPECIAL ED!

Just Kidding!

MannyIsGod
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes Are you ever optimistic about anything??? :lol

It takes a special kind of person to do heroics acts to save others while endagering themselves. This man was definitly special :tuI was thinking the same thing. Boutons would find a way to ruin Ice Cream.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
:lmao He'd complain about it having too much chocolate, too much vanilla, too many crumbled cookies, too much cookie dough, etc and then end with how ice cream leads to diabetes and obesity....

01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Boutons would find a way to ruin Ice Cream.

He wouldn't ruin it, he'd just bitch that it was cold.

And the process used to make it was causing global warming, the corporation producing it utilized an undocumented workforce in sweat shop conditions and was in collusion with other ice cream producing entities to keep prices artifically high while wages are kept below a living standard so the GOP contributing CEO's could line their pockets with the blood of the worker and the scam profits off the books all while the repug controlled government turns a blind eye.

And it's all President Bush's fault.

ObiwanGinobili
01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
He wouldn't ruin it, he'd just bitch that it was cold.

And the process used to make it was causing global warming, the corporation producing it utilized an undocumented workforce in sweat shop conditions and was in collusion with other ice cream producing entities to keep prices artifically high while wages are kept below a living standard so the GOP contributing CEO's could line their pockets with the blood of the worker and the scam profits off the books all while the repug controlled government turns a blind eye.

And it's all President Bush's fault.

you are a genuis. :clap

and yes that guy is a hero.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 11:53 AM
What's the big deal? We've all seen Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Batman do this a few times before.

Marklar MM
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Richard Gere did a version of this in the Jackal...he stould in between two subway cars going in opposite directions.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
"This man was definitly special"

Did I say he wasn't?

Would you die for stranger in an act with very high risk of killing both the stranger and yourself and leave your kids to fend for themselves?

It's serious question, not that anybody here gives a flying fuck.
How do slice the responsibility to a stranger in mortal danger vs. the responsibility to your kids?

1369, go fuck yourself and all your strawmen and red herrings.

Jimcs50
01-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I was just in the New York subways 2 wks ago and I was looking down betw the rails at the crawl space and I told my son that if someone pused him onto the tracks or if he fell, to lie down betw the rails and let the train go over him.

This is ironic.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I was just in the New York subways 2 wks ago and I was looking down betw the rails at the crawl space and I told my son that if someone pused him onto the tracks or if he fell, to lie down betw the rails and let the train go over him.

This is ironic.

Seems more like a coincedence rather then ironic.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
coincedence doesn't look like it's spelled correctly.

Jimcs50
01-03-2007, 04:21 PM
"This man was definitly special"

Did I say he wasn't?

Would you die for stranger in an act with very high risk of killing both the stranger and yourself and leave your kids to fend for themselves?

It's serious question, not that anybody here gives a flying fuck.
How do slice the responsibility to a stranger in mortal danger vs. the responsibility to your kids?

1369, go fuck yourself and all your strawmen and red herrings.

If everyone who thought about the actual consequences and dangers of their potential act of heroism, then the world would be even more fucked up than it is.

My definition of a hero includes going above and beyond normal expectations of goodness, bravery, courage and nobility.

Good to see yours, Boutons...hope I am never in need when you are present.

Jimcs50
01-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Seems more like a coincedence rather then ironic.

perhaps you are right, but it still is weird that this happened right after I thought about it.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
If everyone who thought about the actual consequences and dangers of their potential act of heroism, then the world would be even more fucked up than it is.

My definition of a hero includes going above and beyond normal expectations of goodness, bravery, courage and nobility.

Good to see yours, Boutons...hope I am never in need when you are present.

Rather then jump onto the rails to rescue you, Boutons would take a mental note of everything that happened while you die. He would then come to spurstalk.com (immediately) and post about what happened and explain that the governments lack of safety funding in the subway system at hand was because the President was spending too much money in Iraq and there was no reason you should have died such a horrible death.

Jimcs50
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Rather then jump onto the rails to rescue you, Boutons would take a mental note of everything that happened while you die. He would then come to spurstalk.com (immediately) and post about what happened and explain that the governments lack of safety funding in the subway system at hand was because the President was spending too much money in Iraq and there was no reason you should have died such a horrible death.

Well, that makes me feel a little better then.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I saw this story on the news this morning. When asked why he did he responded that his kids were standing right there and he didn't want them to see someone die right in front of there eyes. My first thought was, "Wouldn't it be at least twice as traumatic if the kids watched their dad die along with a total stranger?" It's that kind of quick thinking that will probably prevent me from ever getting one of these stories written about me. This dudes got a set of brass ones, that's for sure.

Sunshine
01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure I'd have had the courage to that.

Wow.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
We're discussing hypotheticals.
I bet nobody can say here exactly what they would do in that man's position with a few seconds to make decison. What would you do?

I hope your are never in need when I'm absent. :)

What would people be saying here if the father had killed himself and the victim, turning both of them into dozens of minced body parts, right in front of his 2 daughters?

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
We're discussing hypotheticals.
I bet nobody can say here exactly what they would do in that man's position with a few seconds to make decison. What would you do?

I hope your are never in need when I'm absent. :)

What would people be saying here if the father had killed himself and the victim, turning both of them into dozens of minced body parts, right in front of his 2 daughters?

That the guy was a hero for trying to do something that no one else in the general vicinity would attempt. ANd that his death is a tragedy and a tremendous loss for his family but he'll always be remembered as a hero that put others lives ahead of his own.

Ass

01-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Perhaps something along the lines of John 15:13? (http://bible.cc/john/15-13.htm)

Stephen A. Smith
01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
We'd be discussing the guy in this thread if he ate it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57036

boutons_
01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
aw, fuck, yet another Bible-thumping simpleton.

The guy on rails wasn't his "friend", and St. John said nothing about exposing your kids to neuroticizing trauma, poverty, lost opportunities, etc, etc and big city Child Protective Agency rat's maze.

Back in St John's day, children (and women) were pretty like cattle and pets.

johnsmith
01-03-2007, 05:22 PM

The guy on rails wasn't his "friend", and St. John said nothing about exposing your kids to neuroticizing trauma, poverty, lost opportunities, etc, etc and big city Child Protective Agency rat's maze.

Good God you're a fucking ass hole.

01-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Try again skippy. That's why I typed "Along the lines of...".

RIF

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I was just in the New York subways 2 wks ago The Meatball Marinaras there are tremendous.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Boutons thinks children, cattle and pets are "pretty".

You sick bastard!!!!

Shelly
01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Boutons thinks children, cattle and pets are "pretty".

You sick bastard!!!!

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Tlong?

SpursWoman
01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
New York Cheers Subway Rescuer
Commuter Saves Man From Oncoming Train
By Rick Hampson
USA Today

NEW YORK (Jan. 4) - A day after he jumped into the path of a subway train to save the life of a stranger, Wesley Autrey got a $5,000 reward, a day off and universal acclaim in a city where you supposedly don't speak to people you don't know, let alone rescue them. "I just tried to do the right thing," said the 50-year-old Harlem construction worker.

"It ain't about being a hero, it was just being there and helping the next person. That's all I did."

On Tuesday afternoon Autrey leaped down from a subway station platform after Cameron Hollopeter, 20, apparently suffered a seizure and fell between the tracks.

Autrey had to leave his two daughters, ages 4 and 6, on the platform. It was that, he said, or have the girls see a man run over by a subway train.

Down on the tracks, Autrey saw a train's headlights in the tunnel. He shoved the disoriented student into the only space where they had a chance to survive — the shallow, grimy drainage trough between the tracks.

The train passed over them, with about 2 inches' clearance. Autrey later showed reporters grease stains on his wool hat that he said came from the train's undercarriage.

On Wednesday Autrey got the day off from work at a Brooklyn construction site and visited the New York Film Academy, where Hollopeter is a student.

boutons_
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
"Back in St John's day, children (and women) were pretty like cattle and pets."

oops, "petty". or "pretty disposable".

Women and children really haven't gotten much consideration until the last 150 years ago, in industrial countries. In backward countries (most of the world), women and children are murdered for "honor" or in work/sex slavery. 1000 wife/sister honor murders/year in Pakistan. Pretty much the same in India.

Phil Hellmuth
01-04-2007, 04:34 PM
To risk your life when you have at least two young children to support is a difficult ethical question, the "horns of a dilemma" :)

I lose my and the person's life, and my two children are without a father and provider.

I let the victim die, but my two children still have their father and provider.

this is called utilitarianism. What would be the greatest good for the majority of the people

Jimcs50
01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
The Meatball Marinaras there are tremendous.

Went to John's Pizza in Times Square....it was awesome.

:clap