PDA

View Full Version : 2006 MMA Fighter of the Year

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 11:06 AM
This is a thread that was made in an MMA forum where I do most of my posting, and I thought I'd see what Spurstalk thought. Vote for and justify who you think should be named 2006 fighter of the year in MMA. I won't make this a poll, because who knows who people will vote for.

This is not a popularity contest among fighters, or a vote to see who your favorite fighter may be. What has your candidate done in '06 for the sport and what are the accomplishments they have made?

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
My vote:

Chuck Liddell

3 title defenses in super-hyped fights with 1 KO and 2 TKOs, and all against worthy and decorated opponents: Couture, Sobral, and Ortiz.

desflood
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Normally, I would say Fedor, just because he's Fedor :lol

For the UFC I'm going to go with Diego Sanchez (I hate that little prick, too; he just irks me). He went from being that idiot on TUF to being a legitimate contender for the welterweight title, in a year or two anyway. He's gone through some pretty good fighters to get there; Brian Gassaway, Joe Riggs (overrated, sure, but still dangerous), Nick Diaz and Karo Parisyan.

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Yea, can't go with Fedor even though he's the man...Coleman and Hunt isn't enough...

Liddell is up there...Couture, Babalu, Tito. Couture was WAY past him prime and Babalu failed to fight his gameplan, which made it really easy for Chuck.

GSP...Penn and Hughes, although his performance vs Penn wasn't all that great.

Misaki...Defeating- Akira Shoji, Phil Baroni, Dan Henderson, and Denis Kang (lost to Henderson, which evenged, and Filho). Getting to face Kang due to Filho's injury eliminates him though (and Filho completely dominated him).

Crocop....Minowa, Yoshida, and Wand & Barnett in the same night. Impressive, but he had a pretty light run thru the OWGP getting 3 LHW's or less. Barnett was a solid win, but Josh was beat to hell after his fight with Nog just hours prior. He's my #2 choice...

Josh Barnett is my pick due to results, quantity of fights, and quality of opponents...

Win - Kazuhiro Nakamura - LHW, so not that impressive.
Win - Aleksander Emelianenko Submission (Keylock) - nice win.
Win - Mark Hunt Submission (Kimura) - nice win.
Win Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Decision (Split) - hell of a war.
Loss - Mirko Filipovic Submission (Strikes) - just hours after his fight with Nog.
Win - Pawel Nastula Submission (Toe Hold) - Nastula gave him more trouble than expected.
Loss - Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Decision (Unanimous) - another war, was SOOOO close to choking out Nog, which would've been HUGE.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Butterbean, in a landslide!

2centsworth
01-03-2007, 02:05 PM
St. Pierre!

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Couture was WAY past him prime

Well, Couture was the Champ only 10 months before his '06 loss to Chuck.

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Only serious replies, please.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Only serious replies, please.

OK, then although Chuck isn't my fav MMA guy (and I'm not a Chuck hater) I'd have to agree with you & your post going with Chuck.

He had the belt, fought the tough comp AND won them all.

Des has a valid argument but, I say that being a Diego fan as well.

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, Couture was the Champ only 10 months before his '06 loss to Chuck.

I know...and it had been almost a yr and a half since he beat Vitor. And 2 1/2 to 3 yrs since he beat Tito and Chuck (1st fight). The last 2 fights with Chuck just weren't that competitive...he dropped off quick shortly after he hit 40...

If Chuck takes out Rampage I'll be a little more convinced of how good he is. Wand, Shogun, Little Nog, or even Arona would be a better test and the ultimate proof for me though...

Chuck may be the best ever, he just hasn't fought everybody yet. Chances are that he won't before he drops off either...which sucks.

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 02:34 PM

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/131961.jpg

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
^^^^^^^^

Start with common sense, then maybe, mayyyyybe you'll get it!!! :lol

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Chuck doesn't use 'roids either.
Another BIG +!

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
If Chuck takes out Rampage I'll be a little more convinced of how good he is. Wand, Shogun, Little Nog, or even Arona would be a better test and the ultimate proof for me though...

Chuck may be the best ever, he just hasn't fought everybody yet. Chances are that he won't before he drops off either...which sucks

Talk about a pride (AKA - Roid Monkey Homer)
Who, in ANNY weight class has fought EVERYBODY? :rolleyes
Leo, u make perfect sense in nonsense.

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
^^^^^^^^

Start with common sense, then maybe, mayyyyybe you'll get it!!! :lol

Chuck doesn't use 'roids either.
Another BIG +!

Talk about a pride (AKA - Roid Monkey Homer)
Who, in ANNY weight class has fought EVERYBODY?
Leo, u make perfect sense in nonsense.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 03:03 PM

:lol Like I was ever wrong about Leo and his copy & paste skills.
Wow! I just did what he did! :lol

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Leo, I love this, please do it again! It shows your vast MMA knowledge! :lol

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
You two guys are ruining whatever type of Spurstalk MMA community we have going on here. Can we give it a rest and just stick to serious MMA discussion? There are plenty of other subforums within Spurstalk that you can do your bantering.

Thanks.

dallaskd
01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
it would be tite if we could get an mma forum on spurstalk

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
You two guys are ruining whatever type of Spurstalk MMA community we have going on here. Can we give it a rest and just stick to serious MMA discussion? There are plenty of other subforums within Spurstalk that you can do your bantering.

Thanks.

Things were pretty good for the last couple weeks...

Been off this site for couple a few wks

Hmmmmmmm....

it would be tite if we could get an mma forum on spurstalk

Yea, a good portion of the "other sports" forum is MMA related...

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Ok, we got buyin from Leonard. Dio, if I could gut your buyin on this as well, that would be great. Your MMA opinion is most welcomed and any differences of opinion can be hammered out through technical MMA facts and stats.

In the meantime, I'll PM Kori to see if an MMA subgroup is feasable.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey dickneck,

Now who thinks I started the kiddie name calling?

If someone disagrees with me they can ignore my posts OR there are plenty of other websites around & some even welcome Cubanesque people who think they are the Wiz & Master of everything just like Cuban himself.
People have different opinions so either Grow Up & get OVER IT, discuss it like an adult, throw out KIDDIE COMMENT like above or leave.

Like me, Hate me or have no opnion on me I don't care til you make it personal. When that happens you've come to me neighborhood & I'm all-in. :lol
Nuff said. :smokin

MMA forum would be great BUT, would it be an MMA forum or a (pride & Slav/Jap fighter forum)?

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Dio, you agreeing to a truce would have been the correct answer.

And no, it wouldn't be a Pride forum because there has been plenty of pro-UFC activity on the boards.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Dio, you agreeing to a truce would have been the correct answer.

Really, I don't see it in this post by leo. So, I see where your obvious bias is & who you favor but like I said.... I don't give a flyin'.... I'm here baby!

Things were pretty good for the last couple weeks...

Hmmmmmmm....

Yea, a good portion of the "other sports" forum is MMA related...

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't have a bias towards Leonard. In fact, I disagree with Leonard alot about MMA (probably alot more than I would with you) because he is more of a Pride guy, and I am more of a UFC guy. Anyway, you seem like a good MMA fan and your opinion is welcomed.

And the statement about getting buyin from Leonard as assumptive. I was hoping his future actions would prove he would stop the banter with you. Leonard seems like a standup guy, so I'm sure he will. :toast

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't have a bias towards Leonard. In fact, I disagree with Leonard alot about MMA (probably alot more than I would with you) because he is more of a Pride guy, and I am more of a UFC guy. Anyway, you seem like a good MMA fan and your opinion is welcomed.

And the statement about getting buyin from Leonard as assumptive. I was hoping his future actions would prove he would stop the banter with you. Leonard seems like a standup guy, so I'm sure he will. :toast

Oh!
So Leo is a stand up and not me!!?!?!?!

That's it!
I'm here for eternity man!!!!!

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 07:05 PM
*sigh*

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
*sigh*

C'mon man, see what u just did?
Why don't others grow up & do that? You didn't name call. You didn't say idiot this or blah blah blah.

I am REALLY disappointed that u couldn't tell I was jerkin' your chain though. I figured u for a down to earth common sense kinda folk.

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok, we got buyin from Leonard. Dio, if I could gut your buyin on this as well, that would be great. Your MMA opinion is most welcomed and any differences of opinion can be hammered out through technical MMA facts and stats.

In the meantime, I'll PM Kori to see if an MMA subgroup is feasable.

Yes, I'm in...I love posting facts and stats that support my position...

Now who thinks I started the kiddie name calling?

MMA forum would be great BUT, would it be an MMA forum or a (pride & Slav/Jap fighter forum)?

I'm not one that would normally resort to name-calling, but there's only so much I can take when it's obvious you're not reading/comprehending what I type...

dickneck - a person that doesn't read and/or comprehend what they read...that's my daddy always told me anyway... :fro

and here:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56640&page=4

after I posted my UFC 66 thoughts (AFTER GETTING THE PPV!!), including compliments about some of the fighters and their performances, you made the ridiculous claim that in my eyes Pride is the only org. Completely ridiculous. I'm a fan of UFC, Pride, K-1 Heros, WEC, Bodog, etc but overall I do prefer Pride's rules and it's fighters (in general) more than other org's. It's not that difficult for MOST people to comprehend...

"Slav/Jap" fighter forum? Real nice buddy...

*sigh*

LOL...frustrating isn't it? :dizzy :lol

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Do you even know what Slavs are?
Here you go, you obviously need this.
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/slav

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Do you even know what Slavs are?
Here you go, you obviously need this.
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/slav

I do, but what's your point? It was a pointless comment...

dallaskd
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
yall need too stop fighting and yeah UFC is better than Pride.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes, I'm in...I love posting facts and stats that support my position...

Uhh, Hmmm, seems like the word OPINION is missing.
Oh Oh, you're not going to get all peeved & start name calling are you?? :lol

===
===

I'm not one that would normally resort to name-calling, but there's only so much I can take when it's obvious you're not reading/comprehending what I type...

dickneck - a person that doesn't read and/or comprehend what they read...that's my daddy always told me anyway... :fro

So you got mad when I didn't bend over & drop'em for you?
Get used to it guy.

===
===

after I posted my UFC 66 thoughts (AFTER GETTING THE PPV!!), including compliments about some of the fighters and their performances, you made the ridiculous claim that in my eyes Pride is the only org. Completely ridiculous. I'm a fan of UFC, Pride, K-1 Heros, WEC, Bodog, etc but overall I do prefer Pride's rules and it's fighters (in general) more than other org's. It's not that difficult for MOST people to comprehend...

In general you prefer pride? In general???
You come off as a pride groupie to the person with common sense. :dizzy

===
===

LOL...frustrating isn't it?

Not really, I used deal with your type many times over on a daily basis & I just had to learn to come down to their level.

IX_Equilibrium
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I pm'ed Kori and asked if an MMA subgroup forum could be created. She actually said that she would talk to LJ and they would consider it. I'll get my answer in a week. Just the fact that she is even considering this request is extremely cool of her. And if the answer is no, there won't be any hard feelings. I'm sure she gets requests like this all of the time and can't please everybody.

Anyway, when they look at the MMA threads to see the type of traffic they are receiving, it would help our chances if it's just MMA discussion and no drama.

That is all.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I do, but what's your point? It was a pointless comment...

A better question is, What's yours????? :dizzy

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I pm'ed Kori and asked if an MMA subgroup forum could be created. She actually said that she would talk to LJ and they would consider it. I'll get my answer in a week. Just the fact that she is even considering this request is extremely cool of her. And if the answer is no, there won't be any hard feelings. I'm sure she gets requests like this all of the time and can't please everybody.

Anyway, when they look at the MMA threads to see the type of traffic they are receiving, it would help our chances if it's just MMA discussion and no drama.

That is all.

I hear ya.

desflood
01-03-2007, 07:34 PM
*sigh*
Face it - you're apparently going to have to be the sole voice of reason around here :lol

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Face it - you're apparently going to have to be the sole voice of reason around here :lol

:lmao

Like that hitman guy in Dumb and Dumber that has to tell Harry & Lloyd to always shut up. :lol

"pills are good!"

LEONARD
01-03-2007, 07:40 PM

That is all.

Sweet...thanks for doing that man. :fro

Kori loves me...just tell her that LEONARD really really really wants an MMA forum... :hat

dallaskd
01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
cool just make leonard and ix_equilibrium the leaders.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 07:54 PM

:lol

dallaskd
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
and name it the UFC FORUM.

Mr Dio
01-03-2007, 08:01 PM

:lmao

cornbread
01-03-2007, 11:31 PM

That is all.

Sweet! Thanks for doing that IX_Equilibrium. I'm tired of mma being an "other sport".

My vote for fighter of the year goes to GSP. Although he only fought twice, he beat two of the greatest WWs ever and looks like he's still improving with every fight. I also think GSP is great ambassador for the sport. There's plenty of chumps out there like Jim Lampley who want to trash mma whenever they have a chance. GSP proves these guys wrong by showing that to be great in this sport you need well rounded skill, hard work, athleticism, and a toughness that few possess. If that isn't admirable enough, he does it with class and seems to be a genuinely humble and friendly person.

My second place is a tie between Diego, Crocop, Chuck. All badass fighters who straight up kicked ass in 2006!

Honorable mention goes to Barnett and Vera. Josh gets it for taking on some of the best in world and Vera gets it for going undefeated and looking like the future of the HW division (besides Crocop of course).

cornbread
01-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Most Absent Fighter of 2006...Igor Vovchanchyn

Igor is my all-time favorite fighter and he dropped off the scene in 2006. Does anybody know what happened to him? Any updates?

LEONARD
01-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Most Absent Fighter of 2006...Igor Vovchanchyn

Igor is my all-time favorite fighter and he dropped off the scene in 2006. Does anybody know what happened to him? Any updates?

Igor was fun to watch...I'd love to see him back at 205 lbs in the UFC...

Nobody knows for sure where he is FOR SURE...

The most common rumors are that he is in Kharkov, Ukraine. He occasionally teaches self defense classes at a gym in Kiev. He also owns a restaurant. It looks like he has either retired from fighting or is taking a break at least. Was contacted last year by cage rage as a possible opponent for vitor belfort or melvin manhoef. He currently has no contract with Pride.

One of the guys on SD did a lot of research on him and was going to the Ukraine to find him and get an update from him, but ended up not making the trip. Lots of people ask where he is...pretty much on a weekly if not daily basis...

LEONARD
01-04-2007, 09:25 AM

Good idea... :fro

We need moderator powers too :dizzy

How about the Ultimate Fighting, or "Cage Fighting" forum?? :bang

Mixed Martial Arts Forum or MMA Forum is the way to go...

IX_Equilibrium
01-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I think "MMA Forum" would do.

cornbread
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd love to see him back at 205 lbs in the UFC...

I've always wanted how Igor would measure with some top LHWs. I think he would do farely well.

cornbread
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM

Let's go old school...The Vale Tudo Forum.

LEONARD
01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I've always wanted how Igor would measure with some top LHWs. I think he would do farely well.

Hell yea he would.. :fro

LEONARD
01-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Sherdog gave it to Chuck...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6490

also:

Fight of the Year: Diego vs Karo
KO of the Year: Crocop vs Wand in OWGP
Submission of the Year: Aoki's gogoplata on Hansen at Shockwave