PDA

View Full Version : Riley takes leave of absence from Heat

The_Game
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Report: Riley takes leave of absence from Heat

Staff report
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted January 3 2007, 1:25 PM EST

Pat Riley will take a leave of absence from the defending champion Miami Heat, according to the Chicago Tribune.

According to the report, Riley informed the team of his decision Wednesday morning, and that no immediate successor was named.

Burn531
01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Just heard on Cold Pizza. Haven't found a link yet.

Burn531
01-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Ah beat me by a minute.

ponky
01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
dumbass, he should quit the day after they won the trophy, leave on top idiot

Bob Lanier
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
What a lazy jackass. :lol

2Cleva
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
RILEY TAKES LEAVE OF ABSENCE

By Ira Winderman
Sun-Sentinel.com

January 3, 2007, 1:25 PM EST

For the second time in four years, Heat coach Pat Riley has stepped down at midseason.

A team spokesman confirmed Wednesday that Riley would hand over the team to assistant coach Ron Rothstein because of health issues.

The spokesman said the departure is open-ended, with Riley recently suffering from knee pain, in addition to ongoing hip problems.

A press conference was scheduled for later Wednesday afternoon at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Riley was not immediately available for comment, but spoke earlier in the week about the knee pain that had him hobbled in recent days.

"I've got floating chips," he said. "I've got three or four things that have been floating in there for years. If I get it done, it'll be a day. There's just going to scope it and flush it out.

"I had an MRI the other day. It showed all these lose parts in there and there a little flap I think it exacerbated. Lately it's been locking up and staying there."

Riley previously stepped down as coach Oct. 24 2003, handing the reins over to assistant Stan Van Gundy. He then resumed coaching in December 2006, after Van Gundy resigned citing family reasons.

Rothstein filled in twice for Riley last season, when Riley attended to the death of his mother. Riley then returned to guide the team to the 2006 NBA title.

Rothstein served as the Heat's inaugural coach in 1988 and also coached the franchise's entry in the WNBA, the Miami Sol. He rejoined the franchise as an assistant coach in 2003.

ponky
01-03-2007, 01:56 PM
RILEY TAKES LEAVE OF ABSENCE

By Ira Winderman
Sun-Sentinel.com

January 3, 2007, 1:25 PM EST

For the second time in four years, Heat coach Pat Riley has stepped down at midseason.

A team spokesman confirmed Wednesday that Riley would hand over the team to assistant coach Ron Rothstein because of health issues.

The spokesman said the departure is open-ended, with Riley recently suffering from knee pain, in addition to ongoing hip problems.

A press conference was scheduled for later Wednesday afternoon at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Riley was not immediately available for comment, but spoke earlier in the week about the knee pain that had him hobbled in recent days.

"I've got floating chips," he said. "I've got three or four things that have been floating in there for years. If I get it done, it'll be a day. There's just going to scope it and flush it out.

"I had an MRI the other day. It showed all these lose parts in there and there a little flap I think it exacerbated. Lately it's been locking up and staying there."

Riley previously stepped down as coach Oct. 24 2003, handing the reins over to assistant Stan Van Gundy. He then resumed coaching in December 2006, after Van Gundy resigned citing family reasons.

Rothstein filled in twice for Riley last season, when Riley attended to the death of his mother. Riley then returned to guide the team to the 2006 NBA title.

Rothstein served as the Heat's inaugural coach in 1988 and also coached the franchise's entry in the WNBA, the Miami Sol. He rejoined the franchise as an assistant coach in 2003.

Hmmm, this explains a lot about where Dwayne Wade's phantom injuries and ailments come from when shit gets tough...like coach, like player. I have to say, he still looks like he's bailing on the team right when things start skidding. Why didn't he have surgery this past summer, he obviously knew about it?

Ok, after reading about his injuries, in all sincerity, I hope he gets better VERY SOON. If he's really in pain from his knee and hip then take some time off but make sure you come back Riles.

2Cleva
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
According to ESPN's Hank Goldberg, Riley will have surgery on his right knee and hip and plans to return to the bench. The team was expected to hold a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Taco
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070103smithriley,1,2816065.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Riley takes leave of absence from Heat

By Sam Smith
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 3, 2007, 11:59 AM CST

Miami Heat coach Pat Riley will take a leave of absence from the defending champion Miami Heat, NBA sources said Wednesday.

Riley informed the team of his decision Wednesday morning. No immediate successor was named.

The Heat are playing the Los Angeles Clippers Wednesday before leaving on a six-game Western Conference trip. Riley said earlier this week that injured center Shaquille O'Neal could play. O'Neal was scheduled to travel with the team and begin working out after early-season knee surgery.

With O'Neal out, the Heat are 13-17 and currently out of the top eight playoff spots in the Eastern Conference. It is just over a year since Riley returned from his front office position to relieve Stan Van Gundy of coaching duties. The Heat went on to win the NBA championship, the first for a Riley team since his 1988 Los Angeles Lakers. Many had speculated Riley would retire after the championship to leave the coaching world as a winner.

But as an owner of the franchise and with a long-term salary commitment to O'Neal, intimates say Riley felt compelled to return as well as to be with the team following the championship. But insiders say Riley grew overwhelmed with the Heat's losing, at times this season frustrated with the declining level of play and apparent interest of several players. Riley called the Heat the poorest defensive team he's ever had with players frequently missing games with injuries.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Does this mean he's not gonna coach them anymore?

Taco
01-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Does this mean he's not gonna coach them anymore?

HE'LL PROBABLY WAIT UNTIL THEY START WINNING AND SHAQ GET'S BACK THEN HE'LL RIP THE TEAM BACK FROM WHATEVER DUDE IS COACHING THEM THEN TAKE ALL THE GLORY AGAIN

Medvedenko
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh, poor Riley...taking a leave of absence on company time...kind of like Shaq. Something tells me he won't return this season.

mabber
01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
HE'LL PROBABLY WAIT UNTIL THEY START WINNING AND SHAQ GET'S BACK THEN HE'LL RIP THE TEAM BACK FROM WHATEVER DUDE IS COACHING THEM THEN TAKE ALL THE GLORY AGAIN

I was thinking the exact same thing. He'll come back when the team is healthy again and coach them late season and into the playoffs.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
quitter

dg7md
01-03-2007, 05:52 PM

OK, THAT'S PRETTY INTERESTING. SHOUT IT OUT WHY DON'T YOU

confined
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
i dont kno about you, but i miss stan van gundy...they should get him back as coach, hes a good guy...and his mustache is ballin

Bob Lanier
01-03-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.callus.com/separatedatbirth/ronjeremy.jpg

confined
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.callus.com/separatedatbirth/ronjeremy.jpg
his stash is good but stan's pwns everyone's and their mothers