PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Seattle Nov. 7th - Grades

timvp
11-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Tim Duncan
As good as he played in the Spurs’ first two games, that was how off he was in the third game. Offensively, Duncan never found his rhythm. He missed a lot of jumpers to start the game and then was collapsed upon whenever he’d try to operate inside. His defense and rebounding was even worse. He was consistently scored on down low and was ineffective on the glass. The good news? Duncan hit 9-10 from the line.
GRADE: 60
SEASON: 84.3

Bruce Bowen
Ray Allen proved that he still has game. He torched Bowen for 24 points, scoring off a variety of quick-hit isolation sets. Bowen was unable to stay in front of Allen and was often picked off when chasing him around screens. On offense, Bowen wasn’t effective. He was 1-5 from the field and passed up a number of easy looks. So far this season, Bowen has been out of sync when the Spurs have the ball.
GRADE: 55
SEASON: 75.7

Rasho Nesterovic
Playing only 23 minutes due to match up problems with the smaller Sonics, Nesterovic played well when he was in there. While he could have grabbed more rebounds, his six rebounds placed him second on the team. The Spurs need him to be more physical inside, as he’s only gone to the line once in three games so far this season.
GRADE: 80
SEASON: 85.7

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili played a nice overall game. He continued his aggressive play, taking it to the Sonics and forcing them to react. He hit 7-12 from the field to finish with 21 points. On the downside, he was breaking the offense and his ball movement wasn't as crisp as the Spurs need it to be. While he’s put up impressive numbers through the team’s first three games, he’s also averaging four turnovers a game.
GRADE: 82
SEASON: 93.3

Tony Parker
Parker continued to fight and led the Spurs in runs when they were trying to cut into the lead. He attacked the basket well and was doing a nice job of finishing around the rim. His defense was also a plus. On the other hand, he didn’t do a good job creating for his teammates and often misjudged when he should shoot or pass.
GRADE: 81
SEASON: 78.3

Brent Barry
His return to Seattle didn’t go as planned. After being shutout in the first half, he did come back to life in the second half. All four of his shots were from beyond the arc, as he connected on two of them. His defense still needs work and for the first time since early in the preseason, Barry looked unsure of his role in the offensive sets.
GRADE: 80
SEASON: 88.3

Devin Brown
Brown missed an opportunity to earn more minutes with a so-so performance in 24 minutes. His defense wasn’t as good as he’s capable of playing and he hit only two of his seven shots from the floor. Brown also had three costly turnovers when the Spurs were trying to cut the Sonic’s lead. He’ll have to play better to break into Pop’s nightly rotation.
GRADE: 70
SEASON: 75

Malik Rose
Rose played well offensively, scoring ten points in 17 minutes of play. He seemed comfortable in the Spurs’ halfcourt offensive sets. Rebounding-wise, he wasn’t doing as good a job. Usually he can come in and provide tenacious rebounding effort, but that was lacking versus the Sonics. Rose also had a couple of frustration fouls and got his head out of the game.
GRADE: 78
SEASON: 83

Tony Massenburg
As the rest of the team let the Sonics be the aggressors, Massenburg was the only Spur holding his space on the court. He played physical defense and didn’t let Seattle push him around. He also had two huge blocks and a big bucket for the Spurs.
GRADE: 95
SEASON: 88.5

Robert Horry
Big Shot Rob didn’t do much of anything on the floor in his nine minutes. His zero rebounds were a telling stat.
GRADE: 75
SEASON: 79.3

Beno Udrih
After showing the world what he could do against the Lakers, he didn’t do much right in his third game of his career. He had no points and no assists in eight minutes of playing time. He was also benched in the first half for missing a rotation on the defensive end. This was a night of growing pains for the young rookie out of Slovenia.
GRADE: 65
SEASON: 78.3

Duff McCartney
11-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Tim Duncan played like a little bitch.

Nikos
11-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks tim, listened to much of the game, but it seemed most players were out of sync. What pissed me off is everytime they would get the lead to 8-10 they would allow Sonics off rebounds and basically fouled them every single possesion that they didn't make a basket on the first shot.

Honestly I would probably bet $1000 that Sonics won't win 35 games this season and I'm pretty certain they are one of the worst 4-5 teams in the league. But they seem to play well when up 8-10 points and are hitting their jumpers. But then again most teams could say that. Bottom line is the Spurs played their worst ball and the Sonics pretty much played their best. Not to take anything away from Seattle, but they are basically Ray Allen, a few slightly above average scorers (not players), and some reasonable rebounders who are not even close to being decent scorers.

Not the type of team to loose to. But oh well.

timvp
11-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Not to take anything away from Seattle, but they are basically Ray Allen, a few slightly above average scorers (not players), and some reasonable rebounders who are not even close to being decent scorers.

I'd say Rashard Lewis is a pretty damn good player. Other than that, they are pretty much a scrub team.

Nikos
11-08-2004, 01:51 AM
I'd say Rashard Lewis is a pretty damn good player. Other than that, they are pretty much a scrub team.

He is a very good offensive player. I guess for an SF he is a reasonable rebounder. But as a defender I would say he is average at best. Type of player who can put up a lot of points when hot. But when his shot isn't on I don't think he has enough of an all around game to make up for it. All in all I guess a slightly above average SF in this league? Whatever that means.....

xcoriate
11-08-2004, 02:10 AM
The problem was he's to tall. At 6"10 we have no one to put on him. Haven't seen the game yet but Linton should be able to cover him as well as Odom who I remember having some pretty easy iso points.

Who did end up playing on him if Bowen got Allen as his matchup (not that he did any good looking at the box scores...)

timvp
11-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Who did end up playing on him if Bowen got Allen as his matchup (not that he did any good looking at the box scores...)

Manu Ginobili. :depressed

Hopefully not having a big three in the everyday rotation won't come back to haunt the Spurs.

orhe
11-08-2004, 04:32 AM
yeah... im starting to miss Hedon't

ShoogarBear
11-08-2004, 05:47 AM
I would have given Devin a much lower grade, given that Allen really started getting going against him and the number of wide-open shots he missed.

Good job, otherwise.

xcoriate
11-08-2004, 05:55 AM
Manu Ginobili. :depressed

Hopefully not having a big three in the everyday rotation won't come back to haunt the Spurs.

Here's hoping Linton can contribute then. Our hopes in this regard pretty much rest on him.

T Park
11-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Other than Odom with the Lakers and Rashard Lewis with the Sonics. who on a CONTENDING team, would have a long three like that that would hurt this team.

Brodels
11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Other than Odom with the Lakers and Rashard Lewis with the Sonics. who on a CONTENDING team, would have a long three like that that would hurt this team.

The Spurs need to shut down long threes on non-contending teams, too.

That is, unless you want to be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

TNT21
11-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Allright guys, I had courtside seats to the Sonics, Spurs game last night. They were sweet, I kinda wished the Spurs would of won though! They came out very very flat, no rythm what so ever. On the defensive end, they looked lost and uncomfortable, at least a couple of the guys did (Beno, Horry?, even Tony at times). During the time outs, Malik Rose was shouting at the guys (I guess over defensive assignments), even Timmy seemed very animated during the TO's. The only bright spots for the Spurs were Tony and Manu, then Manu fouled out. Brent Barry got a nice standing ovation from the Sonics Fans. It seemed every time Timmy touched the ball he was damn near quadruple teamed. Malik Rose had a nice game until he got benched because of a stupid foul he committed, he literally pushed one of the Sonics out of the way out of frustration, right in front of the Ref!! Pop just looked at Malik and then Malik went to go have his seat on the bench. The Sonics on the other end, they could NOT miss a shot. Then they had their rebounding machine, Danny Fortson. This guy was unstoppable last night!! The Spurs had no answer for Fortson. I also got to see Jerome James' Hummer on the way in, it was chromed out and his rims had his jersey number on them, I guess that's what 2 ppg and less than 1 rebound per game (career) can get you in the NBA!! :blah Well, I know this report is all over the place, but it's the first I'ver ever done, just know that it wasn't the Spurs night last night, and that they are a hell of alot better than they played. GO SPURS GO!!!

smeagol
11-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey, Manu has the highets average! :elephant

ChumpDumper
11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Words can't describe how Allen owned Brown when guarded by him. I don't remember his missing one shot.

Of late Odom, Lewis and Radman have shot over us at will.

Beno is fine for 10 minutes -- waive Wilks and pick up someone like Terence Morris or Donnell Harvey to make up for our current Lint deficiency.

Make it so.

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I thought the Spurs guard play was good last night with a few exceptions.

If you could merge Bowen's 3s and defense with Brown's youth and scoring ability, you'd have a nice NBA player. Instead we have two crappy halves that don't make up whole.

Duncan got outworked by bad post players.

Rashard Lewis is a bonafide second star and was playing with a chronic sore foot.