PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs fall hard in Seattle

Kori Ellis
11-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Spurs fall hard in Seattle
Web Posted: 11/08/2004 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110804.1D.BKNspurs.gamer.35cf59fd.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SEATTLE — Midway through the third quarter Sunday night, Malik Rose made the unfortunate decision to slide in front of Danny Fortson, Seattle's generously-listed 260-pound forward.

For his bravery, Rose received a foul and a personal introduction to the KeyArena court. With Rose lying face-down, Tim Duncan took a step backward and tripped over his teammate, landing with a thud on his rear end as the 15,851 fans in attendance laughed.

It was that kind of night for Duncan and the Spurs. They delivered a pratfall of a performance as Seattle routed them 113-94.

"I thought we played like we assumed like we would win the game," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It was very disappointing. I thought we played soft. I thought we played with an arrogance."

If so, the Spurs certainly left humbled. Only once in the previous two seasons have they allowed more points. The Sonics shot 50.6 percent and received 27 points from Rashard Lewis and 24 more from Ray Allen.

"It's just the third game of the season," Tony Parker said, "and obviously we didn't bring the energy tonight."

Duncan, in particular, never found his rhythm. He totaled 17 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks, but missed 12 of 16 shots and committed five turnovers. The only place he did look comfortable, surprisingly enough, was the free-throw line, where he went 9 of 10. He threw up one third-quarter bank shot that appeared to miss the rim completely.

"It was just a bad day," Duncan said. "A bad day. All they did was stay in front of me. I just couldn't make shots."

On Sunday, Duncan wasn't even the best player wearing No. 21. That honor belonged to Fortson, who bulldozed his way through the Spurs for 15 points and 13 rebounds.

In addition to Fortson, who stands 6-foot-8 and appears almost as wide, starting power forward Reggie Evans and center Jerome James gave the Sonics a blue-collar effort.

"I thought this team tonight outworked San Antonio," Sonics coach Nate McMillan said. "Anytime you work, it doesn't guarantee you a win, but it gives you a great opportunity to win ballgames."

The Spurs wouldn't argue. After handling Sacramento and the Los Angeles Lakers fairly easily in their first two games, they can now put a hold on those River Walk parade plans. An 82-0 season, it seems, was too much to ask.

The Sonics, allegedly stuck in rebuilding mode, were only four days removed from a season-opening 30-point loss to Los Angeles' other team. They beat Atlanta on Friday, but that did little to calm some of the locals.

Sunday's edition of the Seattle Times featured six letters to the editor criticizing either Sonics owner Howard Schultz or other members of management. "Dear Howard Schultz:" began one missive, "Take your share of the profits and leave professional basketball."

Well, if nothing else, they cared enough to write.

Popovich, meanwhile, lamented his own team's passion.

"Seattle played really fine basketball, fun basketball, hard basketball," he said. "They outplayed us every way a team can outplay somebody."

Duncan clanged an open 19-footer on the Spurs' first possession and the evening got worse from there. After watching Allen drill a 3-pointer over Devin Brown in the second quarter, Popovich jumped out of his seat and yelled to everyone sitting on the bench, "You know he can shoot! Make him a driver!"

Parker, who matched Manu Ginobili's output with 21 points, gave the Spurs a brief charge in the third quarter. He scored eight-consecutive points, taking the ball to the rim each time. Brent Barry followed with a 3-pointer to cut the Sonics' lead to 66-60.

The Spurs' fun, however, ended there. Allen buried a 14-footer at the shot-clock buzzer, Parker missed a 3-pointer, Allen hit again from 15 feet and Rose committed an offensive foul. After Sonics forward Nick Collison got a fortunate bounce from the rim, the Spurs' deficit grew to a dozen points.

Seattle expanded its lead to as much as 21 as Duncan watched the final two minutes from the bench, head in his hands.

"He's going to be fine," Parker said. "He'll come back strong next game and life goes on.

"I'm not even worried. It was just one of those nights. Nothing went right."

whottt
11-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Parker said. "He'll come back strong next game and life goes on.

"I'm not even worried. It was just one of those nights. Nothing went right."

Let's see...the soft speech has already been used...

Will we also see an early "Shred Parker in the National Media" speech this year?

Sounds like it to me. I give it two weeks.

timvp
11-08-2004, 02:07 AM
You're probably right, Whottttttttttt.

I was encoraged to see Pop yell at Beno. I was worried that he was going to baby him the whole year.

I was waiting for Beno to cry, but alas he didn't :spin

Slomo
11-08-2004, 05:05 AM
You're probably right, Whottttttttttt.

I was encoraged to see Pop yell at Beno. I was worried that he was going to baby him the whole year.

I was waiting for Beno to cry, but alas he didn't http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gifI think Beno lacks Physical toughness and motivation, so I didn't really expect him to cry http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismile.gif. But I agree with your point that we do not need another Hedo type babysitting season and that Pop should be tough with him and hopefully he can fight his way through it - it'll make him a better player. If he can't then he never had a NBA career in him.

This said I still believe what I said in a pre-season thread that there is no better team than SA for Beno to develop in a good NBA player (including Pop's yelling) and that he'll repay the Spurs for this by helping them to a new title.

ZStomp
11-08-2004, 08:57 AM
"I thought we played like we assumed like we would win the game," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It was very disappointing. I thought we played soft. I thought we played with an arrogance."

Yikes! The S word has been used!

timvp
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
I think Beno lacks Physical toughness and motivation, so I didn't really expect him to cry http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismile.gif. But I agree with your point that we do not need another Hedo type babysitting season and that Pop should be tough with him and hopefully he can fight his way through it - it'll make him a better player. If he can't then he never had a NBA career in him.

This said I still believe what I said in a pre-season thread that there is no better team than SA for Beno to develop in a good NBA player (including Pop's yelling) and that he'll repay the Spurs for this by helping them to a new title.

Yeah, the Spurs seem like a perfect fit for him. He has a set backup role with a coach that isn't going to let him lack motivation. He's an awesome kid and he has a lot of talent, so hopefully the Spurs can bring it out of him.

Sometimes he reminds me of that genius kid in class who doesn't get good grades because the school work is too easy for him. Beno needs the challenge of the NBA and for Pop to be all over him.