PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Barry's homecoming shows his popularity reigns

Kori Ellis
11-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Spurs notebook: Barry's homecoming shows his popularity reigns
Web Posted: 11/08/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110804.7D.BKNspurs.notebook.35cf6b7d.html

SEATTLE — Brent Barry made his first appearance Sunday at KeyArena since leaving here to sign with the Spurs. More than a few people were sad to see him go.

During his five seasons with the Sonics, he became one of the team's most popular players, as well as a leader in the locker room.

A few minutes before Sunday's game, the Sonics showed a highlight video of Barry and thanked him for his five seasons with the team. The crowd gave him another loud ovation when he checked into the game halfway through the first quarter.

Barry said his acclimation to San Antonio is an ongoing process.

"In San Antonio, I still don't know really where to get a really good cup of coffee," Barry said.

"Seattle will always be a special place for me and my wife because my son was born here. "

Barry was one of three captains for Seattle and was often a vocal leader. He's not sure if he will become the same with the Spurs.

"I sometimes like that to do it just because it calms me down," Barry said. "With this team it takes a good 20 games to find out exactly what your role is going to be.

"Play the first two months of the season, find out what the team is going to need from me and what my role is going to be and then from there maybe take steps in terms of being more vocal, trying to pick up on things, what certain players need, what they don't need to hear and just sort of go from there."

Nice to see you again: Antonio Daniels haunted his former teammates Sunday.

Daniels, who is coming off the bench in relief of starting point guard Luke Ridnour, steadied Seattle down the stretch. He played 18 minutes the final two quarters, during which he totaled 10 points and three assists.

mouse
11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
That man was a great addition to the Spurs You all should be proud to have him.