PDA

View Full Version : Pop Show - 1/04/07

Solid D
01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
It's on

Budkin
01-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Listening... I want to hear how we are going to improve.

Budkin
01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice someone just asked the small ball question. According to Pop we lost last year to Dallas not because we went small but because of one foul. That sounds like a blowoff answer if I've ever heard one.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
For Aggie Hoopsfan - They didn't go to Manu on the last shot in regulation because the Spurs weren't getting calls at the rim. They didn't go to Tim because they weren't getting calls and he doesn't hit his freethrows. So Tony found Matt. If Matt was covered, they would have gone to Manu.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Don Harris - "I hate to tell you but since Avery can't coach the AllStar game two years in a row, you are in line to go."

Pop - "Come on, Mike D'Antoni." :lmao

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 05:59 PM
They didn't go to Tim because Tim rarely comes through in those situations.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM

thats BS

1Parker1
Where can you listen online? Is there a link...?

Budkin
All he would have had to do is hit one free throw. I think he could have at least done that.

Kori Ellis
Where can you listen online? Is there a link...?

It's over now, but Ticket760.com.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2007, 06:02 PM
For Aggie Hoopsfan - They didn't go to Manu on the last shot in regulation because the Spurs weren't getting calls at the rim. They didn't go to Tim because he doesn't hit his freethrows.

:pctoss

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
thats BS
Oh really? In the past 3 years how many last second shots has duncan made or missed. I bet you his missed almost double maybe even triple what he's made.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh really? In the past 3 years how many last second shots has duncan made or missed. I bet you his missed almost double maybe even triple what he's made.

This is true, sadly.

Duncan has never been known to be a clutch player. A guy you just give the ball to and get out of the way with a few seconds left in the game. Then again...neither was Shaq. Neither were a lot of other great big-men. That's not really a knock on Duncan. It's just at the end of tight games more often then not you're going to have a small penetrating/dishing.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
This is true, sadly.

Duncan has never been known to be a clutch player. A guy you just give the ball to and get out of the way with a few seconds left in the game. Then again...neither was Shaq. Neither were a lot of other great big-men. That's not really a knock on Duncan. It's just at the end of tight games more often then not you're going to have a small penetrating/dishing.I didn't say he's not clutch because he is. He's just not a last second shot type of player.

Otherwise, Tim puts up huge numbers in some of the biggest games.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

http://www.82games.com/random12.htm

so what do i win?

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.82games.com/random12.htm

so what do i win?
nothing because those stats are wrong and they don't include the past 3 years. Let's simplyfy and just use the playoffs because they are easier to remember.

Budkin
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
It's over now, but Ticket760.com.

Eventually they will add it to the podcast feed, which you can subscribe to here:

http://www.ticket760.com/podcast/PopShow.xml

itzsoweezee
01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
nothing because those stats are wrong and they don't include the past 3 years. Let's simplyfy and just use the playoffs because they are easier to remember.

yeah, sure they are. just admit you're wrong

Please_dont_ban_me
01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I didn't say he's not clutch because he is. He's just not a last second shot type of player.

Otherwise, Tim puts up huge numbers in some of the biggest games.

I believe I mentioned 'last seconds of the game' in my post.

I was referring to those circumstances only. Obviously, generally speaking his stats and career and hardware speak for themselves.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, sure they are. just admit you're wrong
First even according to your stat he misses more than he makes, but if you use my stat it includes the whiff in game 5 against detroit, coming up short 2 times against dallas last year etc...

timvp
01-04-2007, 06:20 PM

What's the last game that Manu won with a shot late in the game?

itzsoweezee
01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
First even according to your stat he misses more than he makes, but if you use my stat it includes the whiff in game 5 against detroit, coming up short 2 times against dallas last year etc...

he made half. horrible. that's definitely equivalent to "Tim rarely comes through in those situations."

as far as i can discern, you're stats are not stats. you know what statistics are, right?

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
What's the last game that Manu won with a shot late in the game?He's not very good at those either. However, as I said earlier this doesn't make Tim or Manu chokers.

Bob Lanier
01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
There's no such thing as "clutchness" - so long as you aren't a choker, everything depends on your skill, the situation you're in, and sheer luck.

But it's absolutely absurd to claim that Tim Duncan fades down the stretch - and laughable to compare him to Shaquille O'Neal.

MannyIsGod
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
He's not very good at those either. However, as I said earlier this doesn't make Tim or Manu chokers.Pete, you're flat out wrong. Anyone who is making nearly half of their game winning shots is doing something right. Very few, and I mean VERY few, make more than that.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
he made half. horrible. that's definitely equivalent to "Tim rarely comes through in those situations."

as far as i can discern, you're stats are not stats. you know what statistics are, right?
your stats were comparing a total different situation than what took place last night. There was 4 secs left and we had one shot to win. Tim rarely comes through in those situations, but he's not a choke. You're the won who made it a broader comparison.

timvp
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd say Tim is the clutchest player on the team. Manu is a good creator in the clutch, but I can't remember the last time the Spurs won a game in which they isolated Manu and he came up with a big shot at the buzzer. Tony has had a couple buzzer beaters in his day, but he hasn't gotten many shots in those situations in recent years.

Tim isn't Michael Jordan, but if the Spurs need a basket, he should be the first option.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Pete, you're flat out wrong. Anyone who is making nearly half of their game winning shots is doing something right. Very few, and I mean VERY few, make more than that.
again Manny the situation I originally commented on was one's like last night.

We have seen plenty of those, game 5 at Dallas last year, game 4 against Seattle, game 5 against seattle, game 5 against Detroit.

There's more but I can't remember right now.

usckk
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I have to agree with Pop on the small ball situation last year in the playoffs against the Mavs. Our offense was just splendid. I've never seen the offense play so well. It was almost perfect. If we would of subbed Rasho or Nazr for Finley, the offensive chemistry would of been broken, and therefore, we wouldn't of been able to stay competitive with the Mavs.

Sure we would get more rebounds and defensive stop, but the way our offense played offset those problems or even let us become more competitive.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I'd say Tim is the clutchest player on the team. Manu is a good creator in the clutch, but I can't remember the last time the Spurs won a game in which they isolated Manu and he came up with a big shot at the buzzer. Tony has had a couple buzzer beaters in his day, but he hasn't gotten many shots in those situations in recent years.

Tim isn't Michael Jordan, but if the Spurs need a basket, he should be the first option.
I would have to say Bruce Bowen is the Clutchest player on the team. He never misses a crucial 3 in big games except against Dallas last year, but I think his legs were gone.

I think our first option should be Tony with the ball creating with Manu cutting and Tim cleaning up or looking for the pass.

Either way Spurs team is full of clutch players because you don't win 3 titles without it.

MannyIsGod
01-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Pete, thats like saying Tim has no shot because he can't make a halfcourt shot with consistency. Most players can't.

2centsworth
01-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Pete, thats like saying Tim has no shot because he can't make a halfcourt shot with consistency. Most players can't.
Most players can't, but Premier Players like Jordan, Bird, Magic and Isiah did it all the time.

MannyIsGod
01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Ok, so Tim Duncan isn't as clutch as Bird and Jordan. I can live with that.

BigVee
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
What's the last game that Manu won with a shot late in the game?
Realistically, how many games do the Spurs win or lose a year on last second shots? Not many.

Solid D
01-04-2007, 07:09 PM
What I heard Pop say regarding the last play in reg. at Minnesota, was that Tony was the first option with the dribble penetration. Pop said he would have loved to have Tim take a shot but it wasn't there, so it went the way it went.

Pop also said that they go to Manu a lot in crunch time and that Manu had gone to the hoop several times and didn't get a call when he (Pop thought) was fouled...therefore, they gave the ball to Tony in that situation. He gives them a nice balance or change.

boutons_
01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
"Manu had gone to the hoop several times and didn't get a call"

Manu had also missed 2 or 3 layups vs Wolves.

(remember the winning layup Manu missed in 05 Finals Game5, followed by Tim's weak miss of the point-blank putback at the buzzer? ouch)

Kori Ellis
01-04-2007, 07:25 PM
What I heard Pop say regarding the last play in reg. at Minnesota, was that Tony was the first option with the dribble penetration. Pop said he would have loved to have Tim take a shot but it wasn't there, so it went the way it went.

Pop also said that they go to Manu a lot in crunch time and that Manu had gone to the hoop several times and didn't get a call when he (Pop thought) was fouled...therefore, they gave the ball to Tony in that situation. He gives them a nice balance or change.

I didn't hear that first part, but we began listening in the middle of the show. I heard Pop say Tony did a good job finding Matt and that they didn't go to Manu because they didn't think he'd get a call going to the rim, when everyone thinks you are going to go to Manu, it's good to mix it up, etc.

SequSpur
01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Parker did an excellent job and so did Matt Bonner. But he's Matt got damn Bonner... I don't see the Wizards going away from their top player... I don't see the Cavs going away from their top player... the Lakers? the Heat? the Pistons? the Suns? I mean WTF?

How do you honestly even put fucking Matt Bonner in the game on a game winning play? Out of the 12 guys the Spurs have, how in the hell do you play Matt Bonner on the last play?

Matt Bonner getting minutes will lead this team to the lottery quicker than shit. I am sick and tired of Pop getting over on the fans of the Spurs with his shitty pickups, his shitty lineups and his shitty decisions at the end of the game.

Game 7 wasn't lost solely because of small ball, but because of shitty decisions by the coaching staff.

WGAF anyway... the Spurs have 3 championships, a new arena, they are selling out high priced tickets, the crowd sounds like a fucking library for 1st graders, they are rolling in the dough, so wgaf? I don't, because they ain't gettin my money, shit, I don't even park in their got damn lots. Fuck em.

Solid D
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Parker did an excellent job and so did Matt Bonner. But he's Matt got damn Bonner... I don't see the Wizards going away from their top player... I don't see the Cavs going away from their top player... the Lakers? the Heat? the Pistons? the Suns? I mean WTF?

How do you honestly even put fucking Matt Bonner in the game on a game winning play? Out of the 12 guys the Spurs have, how in the hell do you play Matt Bonner on the last play?

Matt Bonner getting minutes will lead this team to the lottery quicker than shit. I am sick and tired of Pop getting over on the fans of the Spurs with his shitty pickups, his shitty lineups and his shitty decisions at the end of the game.

Game 7 wasn't lost solely because of small ball, but because of shitty decisions by the coaching staff.

WGAF anyway... the Spurs have 3 championships, a new arena, they are selling out high priced tickets, the crowd sounds like a fucking library for 1st graders, they are rolling in the dough, so wgaf? I don't, because they ain't gettin my money, shit, I don't even park in their got damn lots. Fuck em.

...and the moral of this story is that Bowling and eating Pie makes you cranky.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2007, 11:20 PM

that was honestly one of the best posts you've made this season

anyways, I'm usually a pessimistic bitch but I have a great feeling about tomorrow's game

boutons_
01-04-2007, 11:29 PM
"a great feeling about tomorrow's game"

The Big Question: Which team will keep its streak intact? :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2007, 11:51 PM

:lol :lol :lol

I think Dallas will be really winded after tonight's indiana game

however, they have a tidy b2b record (7-1 or so I believe)

I just think after losing last time at home to dallas and not playing them again till april I'm expecting our boys to finally show some grit

boutons_
01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
"Dallas will be really winded after tonight's indiana game"

yep, as I posted yesterday, Spurs now depend on the other team to play badly and yield the game, rather the the Spurs depending on themselves to play well and take the game.

But, with the Spurs, you really never fucking know which Spurs are going to show up, not per game, not per quarter. I find their inconsistency and crappy play boring, unsatisfying, neurotic.

I have a couple friends who are big Spurs fans but tomorrow night, they are going to see an SA HS game rather than waste their evening seeing which way the Spurs dice roll.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
They didn't go to Manu on the last shot in regulation because the Spurs weren't getting calls at the rim.

:wtf Manu had made a bucket 30 seconds earlier. Is the object to put in a basket to win the game or draw a foul and get to the line? Maybe that's part of the problem...

G-Nob
01-05-2007, 12:18 AM

I think we continue to see more minutes to Bonner. I still dont think pop is ready to show his hand just yet. I heard Elson is close to coming back, but even if he's ready, i wouldn't expect him to play tomorrow night. Spurs may drop it if howard gets to roam free all night.

Dave McNulla
01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
2centsworth hasn't come up with any stats, just a couple anecdotes. like they said, just admit that you are wrong.

2centsworth
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
2centsworth hasn't come up with any stats, just a couple anecdotes. like they said, just admit that you are wrong.

first repeat what was asked and then what was said. If I'm wrong in then I will admit so, but you're apparently to dumb to figure out what was asked.

T Park
01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Manu had made a bucket 30 seconds earlier. Is the object to put in a basket to win the game or draw a foul and get to the line? Maybe that's part of the problem...

if you don't think your gonna get a call, and Ginobili drives to the bucket and gets whaled and gets no shot off, then youd rip pop and his horrible playcalling cause

"He just went to Ginobili, and they know they are going back to him. Pop damnt why cant Pop get a shooter an open shot once in a while. :pctoss"

cheguevara
01-05-2007, 11:39 AM

I agree. We should live and die by our big 3. Pop fucked up. and what is this bullshit about not getting calls???

who said we needed a call, we needed bucket pop!!!! :pctoss

Dave McNulla
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
first repeat what was asked and then what was said. If I'm wrong in then I will admit so, but you're apparently to dumb to figure out what was asked.
next time you tell somebody they are too dumb, try using words that don't make you look dumb.

stated: They didn't go to Manu on the last shot in regulation because the Spurs weren't getting calls at the rim. They didn't go to Tim because they weren't getting calls and he doesn't hit his freethrows. So Tony found Matt. If Matt was covered, they would have gone to Manu.

your ignorant response: They didn't go to Tim because Tim rarely comes through in those situations.

now you can either admit you are wrong, try to explain how being the 16th highest in occurances/12th in percentage is rarely coming through, resort to more grammatically-incorrect insults, or disappear. at this point, i vote for the last one.

polandprzem
01-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Still not on the site? :depressed

alamo50
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Still not on the site? :depressed

Yeah, I am freakin' pissed too.
Doesn't mather anymore anywayz as another game has been played in the meanwhile.....

:pctoss

Solid D
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe Eric Gray or Mr. T didn't record the show.