View Full Version : A letter to American from the French Foreign Minister

whottt
11-08-2004, 02:55 AM
By MICHEL BARNIER

I am writing to you as a friend of America. When I think of your great nation, the words "peace," "freedom" and "prosperity" come to mind. Together we have tirelessly promoted these ideals, which underpin our democracies, and -- particularly in the dark hours since September 11 -- we have relentlessly fought the terrorist threat that jeopardizes them.

I am writing to you as the citizen of a country that helped your country secure its own independence and later received your help, as faithful allies and liberators. The ceremonies of the 60th anniversary of D-Day were a stunning tribute to the American soldiers who fell in Normandy to win our freedom and that of Europe. Our destinies are intertwined. History demonstrates this, and economics proves it: two-thirds of your direct investment abroad are made in Europe, and Europe accounts for 75% of foreign direct investment in the U.S. In 2003, our exchange of goods and services approached $400 billion. France is the largest investor in U.S. stocks after the U.K. These investments represent about 650,000 U.S. jobs.

Because of all the things that connect us, I'm concerned about the campaigns against my country, and the recent surge of "French-bashing." There's a paradox here, since France is actually among your best friends in the fight against terrorism. Our intelligence experts work hand in hand and French special forces fight by your side in Afghanistan. Likewise, France is one of your most solid partners within the Atlantic Alliance. It heads NATO's operations in Kosovo and Afghanistan. It is the second-largest contributor to the NATO Reaction Force. In the end, the most inaccurate clichés are obscuring the most obvious truths. It is time to put a stop to it.

More generally, I'm concerned to see both Americans and Europeans expressing doubts over the future of transatlantic relations, and I'm troubled to see that Europe is misunderstood, if not scorned, in the U.S. The European Union is changing. It has opened to the East. Soon, I hope, it will have a Constitution that will make its institutions more effective and legitimate. It is in America's interest that Europe asserts itself as a powerful, reliable partner. As President Kennedy once said, the U.S. should see "in such a Europe a partner with whom we could deal on a basis of full equality."

Indeed, we have so much to do together to promote democracy, security and development. In the Middle East, first of all, where Europeans have long been involved. Let us recognize without animosity that the war in Iraq deeply divided us. The facts have been established and History will decide. But the important thing now is to turn Iraq into a real success story. France has no other aim. It will not send troops there but it is ready to help train Iraqi security forces and resolve the debt problem, and more broadly, to help prepare Iraq for elections in January.

We must also break the deadlock in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It is the matrix of a number of other conflicts, and serves as the pretext for numerous acts of terrorism. Let us not leave this situation unresolved and the Middle East without a future. Let us revive the Road Map and reactivate the Quartet. We must be ready to accompany any effort in this direction with financial support, but also with an international presence on the ground.

Iran is another priority. Out of concern for developments in the Iranian nuclear program, the Europeans have launched an initiative to obtain all the necessary guarantees from Tehran. This balanced proposal will have a greater chance of success if it enjoys firm American support. Alone, we run the risk of failure. Together we can succeed.

Elsewhere, we must continue working side by side: in Afghanistan, to consolidate that nascent democracy; in Africa, which brings together so many of the challenges of today's world; in the Balkans, so that its countries can complete their transition toward European-Atlantic institutions; and in Haiti, to put an end to the infernal cycle of poverty and instability.

Because we have common interests everywhere, we should have common ambitions. This is why I believe we must give a new impetus to our political relations. When it comes to defense and trade, instruments of cooperation already exist and work well. There's no need to invent new ones. The political dialogue between the EU and the U.S., on the other hand, is insufficient. The time has come to give it more substance. The U.S. election and the signing of the first European Constitution, now in the process of ratification, offer an opportunity to give new momentum to our political partnership. The Europeans, and the French first among them, are waiting for this. Why not convene a high-level group right now, consisting of independent, respected figures from both sides of the Atlantic to explore ways in which we can deepen our political cooperation?

America needs a capable, responsible Europe. And Europe needs a strong America, engaged in world affairs. Transatlantic cooperation has always been an essential condition for peace. Today, in a world that has become more unstable and more dangerous, our alliance is more necessary than ever. Let us make sure that it is able to meet the challenges that await us.

Mr. Barnier is foreign minister of France.

The Wall Street Journal

whottt
11-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Amazing what a relection can do...Perhaps Barnier should tell Chriac to shut the fuck up and stop going around telling other countries we are a threat to world security.

As always...France's flipflopping makes Kerry look like an amateur.

Burn us once, shame on us, Burn us 50 times never fucking again.

How dare they talk about friendship to us...

What were the words they used as they stuck the knife in our back over Iraq?

FRance is no ones lap dog..we are a soverign nation...Shit like that?

Shit like that...I didn't hear them going on at great lengths about our friendship.

They might also want to stop advocating ending the arms ban against China.

Nope, no more friendship...they made it clear where they stand...allies when it suits our purposes...competitors...but friends? Never again.

You think Dan whines like a fucking girl over wars?

If I ever hear of any American troops being sent to aid France militarily in any way shape or form...I am going ot be the anti war proststingest mother fucker who ever lived.

I will never stand idly by and watch anothe American troop die for France.

Fuckers desecrate the graves of the American soldiers who died liberating them...Never again.

They made this Iraq war 10 times more difficult than it had to be by obstructing us in every way shape or form...even when we stopped asking them for military support.

Drachen
11-08-2004, 03:03 AM
Nice to see someone at least trying to extend the olive branch.

Nbadan
11-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Welcome to the Neocon world where bitter rivals become political allies overnight, raging insurgencies are examples of successful democracies, and debt magically disappears by praying.

whottt
11-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah you care more about France than the American troops that have possibly died because of the way the French obstructed...the emotional struggle and divide within this country where they preyed on weak minded Americans in love with the Romanticized image of the French.

Here's the deal...

They supported the pro slavery south in the Civil War.

They beat the shit out of Americans in France after WWI.

We bailed them out financially after WWI, they never paid us back which was a huge reason behind the great depression. They stuck it to Germany on post war reparations directly leading to WWII.

The first American soldiers killed in WWII were killed by the Vichy French in Tunisia.

We sent our men on a suicide mission to liberate their country. Those are the guys whose graves they desecrate on a daily basis in their country right now.

They were second only to Germany in capturing and imprisoning jews during WWII.

We again rebuilt their country and financed their war recovery as far as I know we still haven't been paid back.

They pulled out of the military branch of Nato in the 1960's and pointed nuclear weapons at the United States.

Then there is Iraq where they said they would veto any resolution to go into Iraq even if Saddam had WMD, even if they didn't have to send their military. They have called this war illegal the have done every thing in their power to create political opposition to this war, making it much more of an emotional struggle.

They have snubbed the UN backed interim PM of Iraq.

Chirac flatly refused to attent Ronal Regan's funeral...yet I gurantee you he is going to go to Yasser Arafats.

They are not our friends, they would never do the things for us that we have done for them. And you are incredibly naive and need to study some history if you think otherwise...

You sense of brotherhood with our French friends does not impress me with it's high idealism...it terrifies me that there are 51 million of you that were born in America that hate it that much.

You want to see our friends...the Brits..the Aussies..hell evne the Russians have been better friends...at least we've never died liberating their country and had them stab us int he back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Dan, France sucks, they have lost every war they fought in, we're not exactly hurting without them.

If Osama marched into Paris tomorrow with 500 AQ scum in tote and claimed France for the Muslims, Chirac would turn over the country by noon.

Yonivore
11-08-2004, 02:21 PM
"...they have lost every war they fought in,..."
I beg to differ. You've forgotten the French Revolution.

Of course, they beat themselves under the direction of a foreigner, I believe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Yoni,

They technically also lost that one :)

Yonivore
11-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Yoni,

They technically also lost that one :)
I stand corrected...but, who cares?