PDA

View Full Version : Id rather play James White than Finley

lebomb
01-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Younger, more athletic and probably more confidence in his shot right now.

Finley has lost it.................... :depressed

Im afraid Horry has also.......... :depressed

Texas_Ranger
01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
White is good, but still Finley is better.

midgetonadonkey
01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Finley sucks balls.

JPB
01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd give him a shot, at least.

cheguevara
01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd give the Coyote a shot over Finley

Bruno
01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Finley has lost his shot ? :wtf

Since December 1st (17 games), his 3P% is 41%.

VaSpursFan
01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
both finley and horry seem to be getting their mojo back. white needs to remain the understudy.

2centsworth
01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
They need to give him a few minutes but nothing serious. Very similar to what they did with SJax his first year here. Unless the guy flat out balls in the limited minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2007, 12:06 PM
i prefer to give white and butler time....

fuck the dinosaurs on our team...

objective
01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Stephen Jackson would have never played without injuries to Steve Smith and Manu Ginobili.

It doesn't matter how 'ready' James White or Jackie Butler are, they aren't jumping ahead of veterans without multiple vets being hurt.

Mr. Body
01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd love to see White get a few minutes here and there late in the season, and Butler some spot minutes now. But these guys are here for next year and we shouldn't have any expectations.

Bruno
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
White will get playtme for the last games of the regular season if Spurs aren't fighting with another team to get a particular playoff spot or if players are injured.

SenorSpur
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Pop's allegiance to aged veterans (remember Nicky) and his fascination with "small ball" will eventually be the undoing of the Spurs playoff chances.

objective
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately Nick Van Exel lives on with this year's Spurs. It seems that Udrih has decided to give the Spurs what they obviously wanted, a point guard who forces a lot of shots when he's not set and misses a great number of them.

T Park
01-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Pop's allegiance to aged veterans (remember Nicky) and his fascination with "small ball" will eventually be the undoing of the Spurs playoff chances.

Yeah, James White is the key to the championship this year.

You people are insufferable.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2007, 01:24 PM
This is probably the dumbest thread I've seen all year here, and there have been some very dumb threads.

SpursWillOwn
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Well start the smartest of smart threads then.

timvp
01-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Part of me wishes Finley never joined the Spurs. Yeah he's shooting better and everything, but he's one of the main reasons why Pop has used small ball and why small ball doesn't work. Finley is a horrible rebounder and average defender at best and seems to crumble defensively in big moments.

If Finley is in when the Spurs need a stop, it seems like it's always his man doing the damage. And all indications point to Pop still going to Finley in small ball during big moments :depressed

Mr. Body
01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Part of me wishes Finley never joined the Spurs. Yeah he's shooting better and everything, but he's one of the main reasons why Pop has used small ball and why small ball doesn't work. Finley is a horrible rebounder and average defender at best and seems to crumble defensively in big moments.

If Finley is in when the Spurs need a stop, it seems like it's always his man doing the damage. And all indications point to Pop still going to Finley in small ball during big moments :depressed

Finley is a longer-term Nick Van Exel. Pop keeps going to him and he doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. At least he produced versus Dallas in the postseason, and here's hoping he does it again this year, but as excited as we all were two summers ago on signing him, we might have been better served to go for a younger player.

objective
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
There's a big difference between learning the QB spot and playing any position in the NBA except maybe point guard, so that's a poor comparison imo.

Even so, Romo himself has said how important playing the entire pre-season game that he did was to his development. Had he never played that game, how would his season have turned out?

I also view the O'Neal comparison as not as compelling as you think.

O'Neal wasn't playing, so the Blazers traded him away and he became a max-franchise player. Seems like he at a certain point was 'ready', they just didn't want to/couldn't bring themselves to play him. But they were happy to trade him for an old big in Dale Davis.

Seems to me if Portland knew what a stud he was going to be they wouldn't have made that deal. But they didn't know because they wouldn't play him.

Indiana played him immediately and he responded with a double double and nearly 3 blocks a game.

----------------------

Now I am NOT saying that Butler or White will be any good, I am not saying to trade Finley and Barry and everyone else for second round picks, I am not making ridiculous predictions that the Spurs winning rests on Butler and White.

I am only saying that the 'Stephen Jackson Plan' is senseless, because the 'Stephen Jackson Plan' is a romanticized myth that people have convinced themselves is true.

A player can be 'ready' as they will ever be, but a variety of factors can keep them on the bench regardless, whether it was Jermaine O'Neal sitting behind Wallace, Sabonis and Grant, or Stephen Jackson sitting behind Steve Smith etc.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
finley blows chunks i said i saiddd

JPB
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Just try the man. What's the risk ? A good surprise or just figuring that he still needs to work. No big deal.

He might not be totally ready but his youth, his freshness could bring some energy to others. His will also. Maybe that could shake a bit the team.

Sometimes a slight change in your habbits, your environment can make a difference.

It's not like everything was going just fine with the team lately.

midgetonadonkey
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Finley blows goats.

lebomb
01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Finley has had TONS of opportunities to put together a few good games in a row.....what does he do???

One good game, 4 bad ones, one decent game, 6 horrible ones, one good game, 3 terrible games...............(repeat as necessary)

Fabbs
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I also view the O'Neal comparison as not as compelling as you think.

O'Neal wasn't playing, so the Blazers traded him away and he became a max-franchise player. Seems like he at a certain point was 'ready', they just didn't want to/couldn't bring themselves to play him. But they were happy to trade him for an old big in Dale Davis.

Seems to me if Portland knew what a stud he was going to be they wouldn't have made that deal. But they didn't know because they wouldn't play him.

Indiana played him immediately and he responded with a double double and nearly 3 blocks a game.

A player can be 'ready' as they will ever be, but a variety of factors can keep them on the bench regardless, whether it was Jermaine O'Neal sitting behind Wallace, Sabonis and Grant, or Stephen Jackson sitting behind Steve Smith etc.
Exactly. Mike Dumbleavy did not use him properly and you saw the Fakers thus get the ridiculous series win and Oneals Indiana results.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
If White actually played in an NBA game you guys would be thoroughly disillusioned.

roms10
01-05-2007, 04:33 PM
If White actually played in an NBA game you guys would be thoroughly disillusioned.

Why ?? Share want I don't know about him ..

ChumpDumper
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Just search the site for my posts about him. He's good and has potential, but he's not this season's savior.

Clutch20
01-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Watching Finley's inconsistencies I would say that his as his vision deteriorates, his confidence plummets and fustration builds. So who's to say that he doesn't adjust after constant tweaking and will have a refined and readjusted shooting style just in time for the playoffs?

Isn't that Engelland's dept?

Midseason we catch hell, by April we jell.

Clutch20
01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
So was TPark, all of those championships and former allstar, yet his game went south every last period of playoff games and yet he still needed a shooting coach.

Bruno
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
:bang
After a horrible november month, people have decided that Finley sucks and was done.
Even if he has played quite well since that month, people will only look at his bad games and trashing him as much as they can. It's rediculous.

Clutch20
01-05-2007, 05:11 PM
It's just that dreaded feeling you get everytime that Finley gets the ball beyond the arc with the clock winding down. I chug my beer right before he shoots it and he still clangs, no way to deal with that.

Bruno
01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
He's played like shit and been a major liability.

It's your POV, not the reality.

midgetonadonkey
01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
After a horrible november month, people have decided that Finley sucks and was done.
Even if he has played quite well since that month, people will only look at his bad games and trashing him as much as they can. It's rediculous.

What's ridiculous is your inability to correctly spell ridiculous.

timvp
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Just because Finley shot a glorious 40% from the field in December doesn't mean he still didn't suck. His rebounding was down, his turnovers were up and he got to the line less. Oh and how about this stat: Finley had one steal in 333 minutes in December. One steal? Put a dead body on the court for 333 minutes and the corpse will get more than one steal. :rollin

Finley (and Barry for that matter) are getting dangerously close to Steve Smith territory. The sooner the Spurs realize that, the better off they'll be.

Bob Lanier
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
He's a fucking former allstar as an established vet he shouldn't need Chips help. Dudes whole game is fucked.
I agree with this. Tony Parker has always been a slasher with a shit jumpshot, so he hires a shooting coach. Michael Finley had been an excellent jumpshooter for nearly a decade. Once a shooter's touch goes, it's gone.

But that doesn't mean that a month's sample is large enough to determine whether a player's shot is gone or not.

nkdlunch
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I admit I haven't seen any Spur games since late December. But until late December Finley was sucking a big fat chorizo

Bruno
01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Just because Finley shot a glorious 40% from the field in December doesn't mean he still didn't suck. His rebounding was down, his turnovers were up and he got to the line less. Oh and how about this stat: Finley had one steal in 333 minutes in December. One steal? Put a dead body on the court for 333 minutes and the corpse will get more than one steal. :rollin

Finley is a shooter, you won't turn him into a slasher who goes to the line. He average less than 1 turnover per game. Steal is a minor stat and the fact that he only has done one steal in december is nothing more than a statiscal fluke to me.

BTW, your man love for the rebounding stat is getting ridiculous (well spelled midgetdonkey ?). It seems that it's the first thing you look at when you judge a player while it's far from being the most important part of the BB.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
:lol

Aside from Bruno's misuse of "manlove" I pretty much agree with him. Finley is coming around and although he's not doing it as quickly as I'd like, as the rest of the team starts to click so will Finley. I really do hope the new old ball helps him even more, but I'm not even close to giving up on Finley just yet.

Finley > D Brown.