PDA

View Full Version : Piss Poor Pop Offense

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
It was great watching the Mavs get back in the game while Pop ran 4down every fucking play in the third. :pctoss

SO lemme get this straight.. Manu is playing *well*, and you have to be so Pop damn stubborn about going to Duncan that you blow a nice halftime lead while you force it into Duncan play after play.

Good call Pop. :bang

And you follow it up in the fourth by trying to give Finley the ball 20 feet out, have Bowen take people off the dribble to pull up in the lane. Gimme a fucking break.

Give Manu the ball and get the hell out of the way

MavTalker
01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice to see you give up so soon asshat! :lmao

TDfan2007
01-06-2007, 12:01 AM
It was great watching the Mavs get back in the game while Pop ran 4down every fucking play in the third. :pctoss

SO lemme get this straight.. Manu is playing *well*, and you have to be so Pop damn stubborn about going to Duncan that you blow a nice halftime lead while you force it into Duncan play after play.

Good call Pop. :bang

And you follow it up in the fourth by trying to give Finley the ball 20 feet out, have Bowen take people off the dribble to pull up in the lane. Gimme a fucking break.

Give Manu the ball and get the hell out of the way

Every fucking game this is your gripe. Frankly it's getting old. Tim is our best player so he gets the ball more, it's that simple. Get over it.

v2freak
01-06-2007, 12:04 AM
We had a nice halftime lead because of 4down

On a side note, is it unreasonable to assume Ginobili is your favorite player?

You have a right to be angry, but this is hardly Pop's fault IMO

timvp
01-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Is this thread a joke? Duncan shot the ball 11 times. If anything, the Spurs didn't give the ball to Duncan enough. Manu doesn't have the energy to score 40 or whatever you want him to put up.

Tim is pretty damn good, you know. You act like the Spurs are posting up Carl Herrera or some scrub.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Dude, you were just complaining about Tim not taking it at Dirk enough now youre complaining about too much 4 down? I'd say there wasn't enough aggressive 4 down, but you can't blame everything on Pop

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Every fucking game this is your gripe. Frankly it's getting old. Tim is our best player so he gets the ball more, it's that simple. Get over it.

I don't have a problem with him getting more. I have a problem with him getting the ball to the extent that no one else can get involved in the O, and when he gets it on nights he is off.

I don't care if you're his #1 fan, he's not perfect. Get over it.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Dude, you were just complaining about Tim not taking it at Dirk enough now youre complaining about too much 4 down? I'd say there wasn't enough aggressive 4 down, but you can't blame everything on Pop

:lol Exactly. AHF, you are contradicting yourself here...

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:13 AM

To expound on this, it was made at the point in the third where we kept throwing it in to DUncan, then he'd give it up to Finley, Barry, and Bowen, and having nothing to show for it except missed shots.

We went 11 minutes of the 3rd without running anything for Manu, and got to watch Dallas come back from double figures down.

T Park
01-06-2007, 12:14 AM
How is what he says anything less than hypocritcal.

If it isn't bash pop, it aint right.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
:lol Exactly. AHF, you are contradicting yourself here...

No, not really.

Diop and Dampier defend Duncan much better than Dirk. Dirk's the one who was making Oberto look good in the first half. And he can't guard Duncan unless Tim let's him.

In that situation, I want him going at Dirk every time.

Conversely, for whatever reason Diop and Dampier do a better job on Duncan (specifically Diop), and that's when I feel like we stagnate too much going at that with Tim.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
BTW, Anyone know what the post-game quotes were....?

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
The offense in the 3rd was fucking horrible. There's no doubt about that. If I go the rest of my life without seeing another Finley post play, I may once again feel he was a good signing, but I'm rapidly seeing that I'm one of the last ones on a sinking ship that looks a lot like the Titanic.

Anyway, at this point I don't see why our offense doesn't completely run through the big 3 everytime down. Let the rest of the players be role players, and just that. I'm not even sure they're up to that task.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
How is what he says anything less than hypocritcal.

If it isn't bash pop, it aint right.

Look:

Beno, Barry, Finley, they all suck. Are you happy? What pisses me off about Pop is he apparently thinks that if he throws it into Duncan enough, and Duncan passes it to those three enough, they'll somehow do something meaningful (that actually leads to something good for the Spurs) in a game that matters.

Fair enough? I know those guys suck, it just pisses me off that he keeps going to them.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Diop would do a much worse job if Tim would mix in some sideline bankers. It would free him up to a great degree. Tim doesn't use that weapon nearly enough anymore.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Look:

Beno, Barry, Finley, they all suck. Are you happy? What pisses me off about Pop is he apparently thinks that if he throws it into Duncan enough, and Duncan passes it to those three enough, they'll somehow do something meaningful (that actually leads to something good for the Spurs) in a game that matters.

Fair enough? I know those guys suck, it just pisses me off that he keeps going to them.That I can agree with.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:18 AM
BTW, Anyone know what the post-game quotes were....?

The team was really happy about the defense, gave the Mavs their props, etc. Duncan said it's not even close to panic time; it's only 30 some games into the season, etc.

The quotes should be on spurs.com soon.

T Park
01-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I know those guys suck, it just pisses me off that he keeps going to them

Theres only one freakin ball, and Ginobili, if hes creating the shot, like he did last year against Sacramento, CANT ALSO SHOOT IT.

It can piss you off all you want.

Youve got two guys in the top 15 in three point shooting out there, and if they can't hit it, alot of others wont.

So bitching about the player selected to shoot the shot,

wich btw, is baseline, wich is his shot, if he was to make one, wouldn't it be that?

ITs not like he chucked one up from the top of the damn key.

His spot his shot, he missed.

Game over.

Live moves on.

Memphis sunday.

Kori Ellis
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_070105.html

Tony Parker

On the game - “It was a tough loss. You have to give credit to Dallas. They played good and hit shots down the stretch. It was a tough one.”

On the effort down the stretch - “Definitely. I thought the effort was there. I thought we played good defense the whole game. Sometimes it just doesn’t go our way.”

On the offensive rebounds in the second half by Dallas - “It definitely hurt us. We were up by 12 in the first half and then the third quarter they came with offensive rebounds which was bad for us because we had a good lead and we lost it.”

On finding the middle ground between offense/defense - “Well I thought we had a good effort and that’s the main thing. We had a couple shots wide open that we couldn’t make. I’m not worried about that. I’m happy overall with the effort of our team. Things just didn’t go our way.”

Tim Duncan

On the game - The effort was there. It’s just disappointing. We had opportunities and we had leads. They just played better than us down the stretch.”

On the improvement of Dallas’ defense - “They’re a better defensive ball club. They have different players, different athletes that are focused on defense. I don’t know how to gage from one time to the next.”

On the Dallas advantage on the offensive glass - “It just kind of happened. I can’t say one thing or another. I don’t think they were legitimately just pounding the offensive glass. I think they got a couple bounces and were at the right place at the right time. That’s not taking away from anything they did. That’s just how it went.”

On losing three in a row - “We never panic. There’s always time to panic. We are 34 games into the season. You have to go through ups and downs in a season to build a team and build character in a team. This is our down time and hopefully we can cut it off at this.”

Manu Ginobili

On the game - “We needed it badly, but we just couldn’t take it. We just have to give them credit and realize that we have to improve a lot. The good thing is the season is young still, we have a long way to go so we’ve got a big challenge here.”

On your play tonight - “Well, against teams like them (Dallas) with the crowd feeling this game and knowing how important it was for us it was easy to focus. The thing is we have to try and maintain that against every single team every night and that’s not that easy, but we really have to think about it and bring that juice every night.”

On how tough it is when they hit all those big shots down the stretch - “They are a good team and talented. There is a reason they have the best record. We just have to make fewer mistakes and be smarter. We played a very good game, but we can do better.”

Mavs Head Coach Avery Johnson

On the game - “The Spurs jumped on us early in the first half. The team (Mavericks) lacked a lot of energy in the first half. We had a much better second half. I thought we really competed well in the second half. The Mavericks are a very tough minded team and I feel we showed that tonight. I don’t think this game will mean much too either team come playoff time. The Spurs are a championship team/organization and we expect them to play hard every time we see them.”

On Dirk Nowitzki - “Dirk is a warrior. He guarded Tim Duncan very well tonight. In my opinion Dirk never gets enough credit and hopefully that will change soon. Dirk is defiantly a player who lets his game do all the talking.”

Dirk Nowitzki

On the game - “The Spurs were coming off two losses so we expected their best game tonight. In the first half we didn’t defend the Spurs well at all basically we let them do what ever they wanted. After half time our effort was so much better. The team was able to capitalize on the big plays which helped us to take over the momentum of the game. We don’t expect to win every game by twenty points especially when we play the Spurs.
On personal play tonight - “During the first half I shot the ball well and I felt really good. During the second half I really tried to focus on my all-around game and not just scoring. I really have lots of confidence in my teammates and tried to involve them more in the second half.”

Josh Howard

On the game - “Tonight the first half killed us. We fought our way into the second half and finally got things together. Coach Johnson has a lot of trust in this team and I think tonight we earned a little more.”
On personal play - “Personally I didn’t do as well as I would have liked to tonight. Thankfully during the second half I was able to get things together and help my team win.

1Parker1
The team was really happy about the defense, gave the Mavs their props, etc. Duncan said it's not even close to panic time; it's only 30 some games into the season, etc.

The quotes should be on spurs.com soon.

That's interesting. I've actually been quite suprised that Pop hasn't broken out the soft speech or that the entire team seems to not be worried and panicked. They've lost 3 straight games for the first time in a couple of years, they have a record of something like 7-13 in games decided by 7 points or less and they have a sub .500 record against the top teams above .500 as well I heard them say on ESPN today. Of course it's not time to panic because it is only January, but they have to see that they aren't going to win anything with the current team they have, right?

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_070105.html

Thanks!

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
There's video on this page http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/070105.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Tpark, nothing has changed. IF Tim Duncan retires with three rings, you'll still be kissing Pop's ass :lol

Theres only one freakin ball, and Ginobili, if hes creating the shot, like he did last year against Sacramento, CANT ALSO SHOOT IT.

It can piss you off all you want.

Tony was creating fine. He could have created shots for Manu. He was also shooting fine, Manu could have passed to him to shoot.

Or howabout Oberto? He got to sit on the damn bench while Finley jacked up shit fadeaway jumpers.

You're hopeless man. Maybe what I'm talking about would make more sense if you ever played basketball in your life.

It's amazing how every team in the damn league can ride their hot hand night in and night out, but somehow you think Pop's shit doesn't stink when he treats the guy going off for 30 the same as the guy who is 2 for January.

Dallas is probably going to win the damn title this year, and it's not because they're a better team. It's because Avery is running circles around your sugar momma Pop.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Tim said before the game that it was a must win. Now he says they're not going to panic. I guess when it comes down to it, there's not much else for them to say. I do feel that the Mavs have a mental advantadge on them that is very clear. The roles have been reversed to a certain degree.

This game definetly leaves no doubt that while the Spurs have the ability to beat any other team on any given night, their lack of consitency is going to doom them in a seven game series barring further improvement or personal changes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Tim: On losing three in a row - “We never panic. There’s always time to panic. We are 34 games into the season. You have to go through ups and downs in a season to build a team and build character in a team. This is our down time and hopefully we can cut it off at this.”

Manu: On the game - “We needed it badly, but we just couldn’t take it.

*sigh*

T Park
01-06-2007, 12:29 AM
He was also shooting fine, Manu could have passed to him to shoot.

PARKER?!!?

PARKER?!?!

HOW CAN YOU PASS IT TO THE LEAST CLUTCH STARTER ON THE TEAM!!!

POPDAMNT POP!!! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

- aggies reaction if Parker shoots said three.

T Park
01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah Aggie, don't quote where Manu says pretty much the same thing.

Wouldn't want to derail that typical bs agenda of yours.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
AHF's sig makes me feel better.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah Aggie, don't quote where Manu says pretty much the same thing.

Wouldn't want to derail that typical bs agenda of yours.

Yeah fatboy, get so upset about someone criticizing your daddy Pop that you wish for them to go get Irwined by a sting ray :rolleyes