PDA

View Full Version : Calm Down

Kori Ellis
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
First off, I know you guys are excited, mad, sad, whatever, but stop posting wildly and starting new threads for every single thought that pops into your brains :wtf

About The Game

Props to the Mavs. Dirk was awesome. The Mavericks are a very good 4th quarter team. If you've watched them during the streak, they've been terrific at coming back in games.

Some game thoughts:

1. Dirk guarded Duncan better than Duncan guarded Dirk. :wtf

2. Duncan needs to get more than 7 boards in 40 minutes.

3. Duncan plays much better when there's a big on the floor (for example, Oberto) than when Pop goes small. Pop needs to watch tape and see that.

4. Tony did a good job penetrating and ballhandling tonight. His stats weren't flashy, but he was solid and did a good job on defensively for the most part.

5. Manu looks great. Sure he had a couple critical bad moves (shooting too early in the shot clock, a key turnover, etc) but he has so much will to win, it's amazing to watch.

6. Oberto did a great job in the first half getting himself free (plus the Mavs were ignoring him a bit).

7. Barry+Beno = 0-for-12? If the Spurs were showcasing them for a trade, this shit didn't help.

8. Finley freakin' kills the Spurs offense. I hated that post up crap in the 4th.

9. Last play of the game, if I was on the sidelines, Tony would have penetrated and dished to Manu for 3. Manu was on fire and Tony did a great job drawing the defense in the lane with him. The Bowen play wasn't bad, but it wasn't my first choice.

10. Bowen did a good job on Howard. I know Josh still got his, but he played him really well. Bowen also switched off onto to so many other people Terry, DHarris, Dirk etc. I thought he was really solid defensively.

11. The Spurs need someone to help with the rebounding. I don't know if that's Corey Maggette, or if they should try to make some other deal. But they really aren't going to make it far in the playoffs with this core of rebounders. I know that part of the problem is that the Spurs went small for long stretches, but honestly, the centers aren't good rebounders really either.

12. Memo to Beno: You aren't Allen Iverson or Kobe, so stop trying to break records for shot attempts.

13. Dirk freakin' awesome.

That's it.

dknights411
01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.geni.org/energy/assets/photos/jpg/WalterCronkite.jpg

And that's the way it is. January 5th, 2007.

Good night everybody.

1Parker1
01-05-2007, 11:45 PM
You didn't go to dinner with Pop and Timvp, Kori?? :wtf

:lol

Aggie Hoops fan to delete your topic in 3............2...............

SequSpur
14. Mavs > Spurs
15. Pop can't coach, I am better than he is but will never get a chance.
16. Beno sucks. I can't even remember how many times I've been saying this.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Last play of the game, if I was on the sidelines, Tony would have penetrated and dished to Manu for 3.

:wow Don't let LJ see that, or someone will be sleeping on the couch tonight :lol

Tek_XX
01-05-2007, 11:46 PM
The Mavs are indeed better than us and some of us are having a problem watching the decline of the spurs before are very eyes.

Russ
Is it just me, or does anyone else think we win this game if Elson plays?

Kori Ellis
You didn't go to dinner with Pop and Timvp, Kori?? :wtf

No, they are having boys night out. :lol

14. Mavs > Spurs

Spurs kick Mav Ass on Friday SequSpur :lmao

Kori Ellis
Is it just me, or does anyone else think we win this game if Elson plays?

I think Dirk just scores more. :lol

jbspurs
01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
8. Finley freakin' kills the Spurs offense. I hated that post up crap in the 4th.

Also, to slow to make extra pass!

Nero
01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
How about Parker for Kidd? Sure it kills our future, but gives us a shot with our last TD years. Imagine having +7 rb/game from the PG position!

01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
David Brokeback Chancellor said tonight he is tired of folks calling in and complaining, Then why have the radio show called game time react?

Kori Ellis
How about Parker for Kidd? Sure it kills our future, but gives us a shot with our last TD years.

:lmao

The Spurs need better players outside Tony, Manu and Tim. They don't need to break up those three.

objective
Duncan plays much better when there's a big on the floor (for example, Oberto) than when Pop goes small. Pop needs to watch tape and see that.

lol

Pop will watch the tape, then announce that it was smallball that kept them in the game with a chance for overtime.

Memo to Beno: You aren't Allen Iverson or Kobe, so stop trying to break records for shot attempts.

They wanted Van Exel, so Beno is giving them Van Exel-ish play.

Pop tells him to shoot that much, he's already commented about that this year after Beno had already been horrificly bad with a large amount of shots.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Also, to slow to make extra pass!

Yeah, he sucks. :lol

SequSpur
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
David Brokeback Chancellor said tonight he is tired of folks calling in and complaining, Then why have the radio show called game time react?

That show is still on?

Russ
01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I think Dirk just scores more. :lol

He's very good, but bottom line is . . .

He's still a jump shooter with no rings.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Pop tells him to shoot that much, he's already commented about that this year after Beno had already been horrificly bad with a large amount of shots.

He wants him to shoot .. but within the offense. Beno doesn't do that. He's a frickin' chucker.

ShoogarBear
01-05-2007, 11:53 PM
And why was the Red Rocket only given a whiff of PT? He should have had all of Barry's minutes.

At least Bonner wouldn't have given up an inbound layup with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
1 is completely false. Duncan allowed himself to become a passer when Dirk began guarding him which was driving me nuts. He should be salivating at the idea of Dirk guarding him and should waste no time in trying to get to the basket. Then if things break down, you swing the ball, but Tim Duncan MUST maintain a score first mentality in those situations. That simply wasn't there.

It drives me nuts that he holds to ball and waits for a double to begin with. But when he does it when he has a chance to a) put the opposing teams best player in foul touble and b) make the opposing teams best player work hard on defense its simply inexcusable.

Marcus Bryant
01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh well, where's that Tanqueray?

ShoogarBear
01-05-2007, 11:56 PM
All gone, *hic*.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Also, what the fuck was up with inbounds plays? I know of at least 3 situations where the Spurs forced the ball out of bounds on defense with a block or deflection with no more than 4 on the shot clock. On all 3 of those possessions they got murdered on the inbounds play and gave up 2 layups and a wide open jumper for Dirk which might as well be considered a layup. That kind of shit is inexcusable. You shouldn't give up ONE layup in those situations, much less let it happen multiple times in one game. That shit needs to be reviewed hardcore in the film sessions.

Kori Ellis
1 is completely false. .

So you think Duncan did a good job guarding Dirk? :lol

Because whatever the reason (psychological or physical) Dirk owned Duncan both ways.

Kori Ellis
Oh well, where's that Tanqueray?

We have a bottle of Scotch that ShoogarBear gave us :drunk

MannyIsGod
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
And why was the Red Rocket only given a whiff of PT? He should have had all of Barry's minutes.

At least Bonner wouldn't have given up an inbound layup with 3 seconds on the shot clock.Oberto getting off to a good start was a reason for him hardly seeing any action in the first half, but with the way Barry and Horry played it was inexcusable that Pop couldn't find some time in there for him.

I don't fucking get it. The man has been our best bench player for a few weeks now, and is playing very solid basketball and he can't get any burn in the most important game of the year to date? It doesn't make any damn sense.

objective
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
He wants him to shoot .. but within the offense. Beno doesn't do that. He's a frickin' chucker.

then his transformation into Nick Van Exel is complete. He's learned his lessons well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Because whatever the reason (psychological or physical) Dirk owned Duncan both ways.

One of the most frustrating events of the night was late in the 2nd quarter Avery had Dirk on Tim.

And we didn't go at him once in three possessions. Dirk ended up with four fouls. Just think if they would have gone after Dirk when he was guarding Duncan and got a foul or two on Dirk in that situation. Would have changed the whole complexion of the game.

But what the hell am I talking about? Asking Pop to get creative on offense is a lot like asking mouse to only use one user name a day on the site :lol

supaphly119
can we just get devin brown back?

MannyIsGod

Because whatever the reason (psychological or physical) Dirk owned Duncan both ways.No, I just feel Duncan allowed it. I guess saying its completely false is incorrect, but rather that Dirk wasn't tested on defense. Duncan's passive wait and see bullshit allowed Dirk to sit back and take breaks inbetween his schooling of Duncan.

I expect Dirk to get his. He's virtually unguardable with his quick release and accuracy. But I don't expect Duncan to wait for Manu and Tony to bail his ass out. He needs to take the damn game to Dirk.

Tim Duncan still has more than enough game to force his will upon others. Someone just needs to remind him sometimes.

ShoogarBear
01-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Also, what the fuck was up with inbounds plays? I know of at least 3 situations where the Spurs forced the ball out of bounds on defense with a block or deflection with no more than 4 on the shot clock. On all 3 of those possessions they got murdered on the inbounds play and gave up 2 layups and a wide open jumper for Dirk which might as well be considered a layup. That kind of shit is inexcusable. You shouldn't give up ONE layup in those situations, much less let it happen multiple times in one game. That shit needs to be reviewed hardcore in the film sessions.The Deavean George one was when Brent was doing godknowswhat and let him come down the lane with 3 on the clock.

Then, even more embarassing, Tim was yakking with someone on the sideline with the camera on him closeup, then you see him look up suddenly as he realizes the ball has been inbounded and run over late to Dirk burying the open jumper. Pretty much the showcase play of the game for the Spurs.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
One of the most frustrating events of the night was late in the 2nd quarter Avery had Dirk on Tim.

And we didn't go at him once in three possessions. Dirk ended up with four fouls. Just think if they would have gone after Dirk when he was guarding Duncan and got a foul or two on Dirk in that situation. Would have changed the whole complexion of the game.

But what the hell am I talking about? Asking Pop to get creative on offense is a lot like asking mouse to only use one user name a day on the site :lolWe went to him, but Duncan waited for the first sign of a double team and decided to pass it off. The doubles were so weak that the rotations were easily made and they rarely got anything other than a late in the shot clock forced shot.

Pop did plenty bad tonight but that was mostly with player rotations which he usually finds a way to fuck up. I'm not going to blame him for Tim's shitty reads though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I expect Dirk to get his.

Actually, when he works on the low post there's a huge flaw to his game. Manu has hit on it once, and Barry did as well.

He cocks the ball back over his head when he shoots, which makes it impossible to defend from the front.

But both Manu and Barry owned him on jumpers by coming in from the top. I'd love to see the Spurs take advantage of that more and have someone come down from the top when he fades away and stuff him from behind.

They'd only have to do it a couple of times before he'd start worrying more about who is coming from where to block him than actually making the shot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:06 AM
We went to him, but Duncan waited for the first sign of a double team and decided to pass it off.

Yeah, but that's part of our offense for Tim to wait for the double to free up the shooters.

I wanted to see him take it straight at Dirk in that situation. He did it in the fourth and racked up two quick ones on Dirk. Whenever Nowitzki is guarding TD, that should be an automatic clear out and get it into Duncan. And he shouldn't be waiting for a double, he should be making his move as soon as he catches the ball.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Tim was yakking with someone on the sideline with the camera on him closeup, then you see him look up suddenly as he realizes the ball has been inbounded and run over late to Dirk burying the open jumper. Pretty much the showcase play of the game for the Spurs.

He was yakking with Devean, who had knocked the ball out of bounds (but they gave to Dallas). At that point in the game, I don't get what he was thinking.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, but that's part of our offense for Tim to wait for the double to free up the shooters.

I wanted to see him take it straight at Dirk in that situation. He did it in the fourth and racked up two quick ones on Dirk. Whenever Nowitzki is guarding TD, that should be an automatic clear out and get it into Duncan. And he shouldn't be waiting for a double, he should be making his move as soon as he catches the ball.Actually, I believe its on Tim to make reads in those situations. I personally hate it that he waits on the double and tries to play off that far too often. I think an aggressive stance and having him force up bad shots once in a while is a much better way for him to be effective, but ever since I can remember he holds the ball too long and waits for doubles.

I don't think thats on Pop, but I guess it could be part of the offense. I don't know how anyone here would know and I find it more likely that Tim simply has the freedom/responsibilty to make reads in those situations.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't know how anyone here would know and I find it more likely that Tim simply has the freedom/responsibilty to make reads in those situations.

Correct.

ShoogarBear
01-06-2007, 12:14 AM
We have a bottle of 12-year-old Macallen that ShoogarBear gave us :drunkFixed.

spurschick
01-06-2007, 12:14 AM
5. Manu looks great. Sure he had a couple critical bad moves (shooting too early in the shot clock, a key turnover, etc) but he has so much will to win, it's amazing to watch.

He was incredible tonight. He was really beating himself up for every mistake he made. At one point when he came out, it looked like Pop went over to him on the bench to console him. While I love Bruce to death, he can't seem to buy a basket over the past couple of games and, with the way Manu was playing tonight, I wish that last play had been called for him and not Bruce.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Fixed.

True.

I didn't want people coming over to drink it, so I was trying to downplay it :)

ShoogarBear
01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
He cocks the ball back over his head when he shoots, which makes it impossible to defend from the front.

But both Manu and Barry owned him on jumpers by coming in from the top. Which actually Bruce did first in the semifinals last year.

leemajors
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
1 is completely false. Duncan allowed himself to become a passer when Dirk began guarding him which was driving me nuts. He should be salivating at the idea of Dirk guarding him and should waste no time in trying to get to the basket. Then if things break down, you swing the ball, but Tim Duncan MUST maintain a score first mentality in those situations. That simply wasn't there.

It drives me nuts that he holds to ball and waits for a double to begin with. But when he does it when he has a chance to a) put the opposing teams best player in foul touble and b) make the opposing teams best player work hard on defense its simply inexcusable.

that was really disturbing, when dampier or diop was on him he made a quicker move, and usually got a foul. if he is getting those calls he should keep going for it against dirk. either he went brain dead or he was unsure where the double was coming from. holding the ball is the worst thing he can do in that situation, and the spurs offense totally stalls when he does it.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I heard on the post game show that Avery was yelling out a fake "double double" from the sidelines that threw Tim off. Whatever. Stop listening to that fucking roach and just attack Dirk.

ATTACK should be the single thing going through Tim's head when he has Dirk defending him. He need not complicate things anymore than that.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh, and too add to that and touch on Manu's play. I don't mind one bit the play where Manu bricked/airballed a 3 early in the shotclock because that was aggressive. Manu was taking it to the Mavs and I'd much rather have a player force up bad shot while being aggressive than being passive and letting the shot clock run down and having a bad shot forced with no other option.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:21 AM
either he went brain dead or he was unsure where the double was coming from. holding the ball is the worst thing he can do in that situation, and the spurs offense totally stalls when he does it.

I think part of the problem is that when Dampier or Diop play him, Avery doesn't double. He lets them get their fouls and plays man up.

But the moment Dirk goes on him, Dallas is sending help. Going back to last year Avery always runs his D this way, and I think Duncan gets in a mode, either through being coached or just mentally, to know the double is coming when Dirk is on him and to wait for that double.

Which is stupid. He should be attacking Dirk the moment he gets the ball.

Brianna
01-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Y'all realize that I deleted the thread :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Oh, and too add to that and touch on Manu's play. I don't mind one bit the play where Manu bricked/airballed a 3 early in the shotclock because that was aggressive. Manu was taking it to the Mavs and I'd much rather have a player force up bad shot while being aggressive than being passive and letting the shot clock run down and having a bad shot forced with no other option.

Actually the play was smart. He jab stepped the defender like he was going to go baseline, then stepped back for the three. It got him an open look, he was just too amped to hit it.

But still, I agree, it's a far cry from Duncan waiting around to see who was coming to double.

baseline bum
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
There were two plays that can't not make your blood boil if you're a Spurs fan.

1. Tim argues a call with the refs while Dallas is inbounding the ball under the basket, Tim's man (Dirk) runs out to the three point line, and buries a wide-open three.

2. Spurs come out of the timeout, dump it to Finley on the right block, he basically just stands there dribbling with his back to Jason Terry, turns around, and throws a disgusting fadeaway hail-mary. WTF was that?

smeagol
01-06-2007, 12:29 AM
14. Mavs > Spurs
Hey, little dude, how about:

17. Props to Manu for showing up with his usual awesome energy, scoring 25 pts and grabbing 5 rebounds (one less than Timmy).

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
I think part of the problem is that when Dampier or Diop play him, Avery doesn't double. He lets them get their fouls and plays man up.

But the moment Dirk goes on him, Dallas is sending help. Going back to last year Avery always runs his D this way, and I think Duncan gets in a mode, either through being coached or just mentally, to know the double is coming when Dirk is on him and to wait for that double.

Which is stupid. He should be attacking Dirk the moment he gets the ball.Amen.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:30 AM

17. Props to Manu for showing up with his usual awesome energy, scoring 25 pts and grabbing 5 rebounds (one less than Timmy).Read Kori's list first. Props to Manu are already on there.

TwoHandJam
01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
When is Pop going to realize that smallball is just never going to work with the roster we have right now? We only have 3 defenders worth a damn if we play small (Bowen, Manu and Parker) and they can't be on the floor all the time. The Mavs' perimeter offense > our perimeter defense and it puts our interior bigs in foul trouble. Finley, Barry and Beno are totally useless for smallball because there's always a mismatch that favors the Mavs.

If you noticed tonight, I thought we gave up the game in a critical stretch late in the third when we had a good lead and then Pop decided to play our subs in a lineup featuring Barry, Finley and Beno all at the same time. We not only lost our cushion and momentum but the Mavs took the lead at a critical time.

It kills me that Pop decides he cannot keep Bowen or Parker (Manu has stamina issues so he gets a pass) on the floor longer than usual in a big game. These guys can practically play an entire 48 minute stretch without a problem. Dallas had their starters on and were clearly making a push for chrissakes! Instead, he stubbornly subs them out like clockwork when he should be leaving them in to build the lead at a pivotal juncture in the game.

Even if we get a stop with the obvious mismatches for the Mavs playing smallball, we have no guards or bigs outside of Manu and Tim that can rebound worth a damn and the Mavs end up getting offensive boards. Has Pop learned nothing from last year?

Others have touched on this too but what's with the man-love for Horry? Bonner has been tearing it up lately and he doesn't merit a single minute? Crazy.

Kori Ellis

17. Props to Manu for showing up with his usual awesome energy, scoring 25 pts and grabbing 5 rebounds (one less than Timmy).

Tim had seven, but close enough :lol @ "little dude"

MannyIsGod

1. Tim argues a call with the refs while Dallas is inbounding the ball under the basket, Tim's man (Dirk) runs out to the three point line, and buries a wide-open three.

2. Spurs come out of the timeout, dump it to Finley on the right block, he basically just stands there dribbling with his back to Jason Terry, turns around, and throws a disgusting fadeaway hail-mary. WTF was that?
The inbounds plays (there were several) really fucking annoyed me. That shit is so inexcusable. Those were complete mental errors. That shit says a lot about the coaching of a team.

As for Finley post ups, they make me want to puke.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:33 AM
You know, I'll take Bonner/Oberto/Horry guarding a Devan George of the like at this point. Small ball lineups don't help us a damn bit on defense, and they kill us on offense. I'd much rather have the ball in George's hand going against Bonner et al as opposed to in Dirk's hands going against anyone.

T Park
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Eh, more Bonner and Horry than Oberto.

Oberto's rebounding left alot to be desired tonight as well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Small ball sucks and Dallas outrebounded us again with it. But some fat carny boy here tells me that's the mark of great coaching by Pop. :rolleyes

smeagol
01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Read Kori's list first. Props to Manu are already on there.
My post was in response to Sequ.

With all his Manu bashing, it would be nice to read some Manu props from him when Manu plays like he did tonight.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM

With all his Manu bashing, it would be nice to read some Manu props from him when Manu plays like he did tonight.God damn, do you still think Sequ hates Manu? Do you see what jersey he wears everytime there's a picture of him?

2centsworth
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Bruce has to give the Spurs more. His 2-19 streak is hurting,plus 1 reb per game aint going to cut it. Plus his defense is about at a B level for Bruce standards.

Beno Sucks.

Manu has got to make better decisons.

Tim can't fade.

Tony is wonderful considering he can't get much rest.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-06-2007, 12:40 AM

but 7/7 FG is definitely worth noting

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:42 AM

With all his Manu bashing, it would be nice to read some Manu props from him when Manu plays like he did tonight.

Umm, Sequ has been praising Manu (along with Duncan and Parker) all night. He usually just bitches about Manu to rile people up...:lol

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Damn, Bruce had ONE rebound tonight?? :wow I hadn't even realized that....

ShoogarBear
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM

2. Spurs come out of the timeout, dump it to Finley on the right block, he basically just stands there dribbling with his back to Jason Terry, turns around, and throws a disgusting fadeaway hail-mary. WTF was that?I would add the inbounds play to Devean George open down the lane with 3 on the shot clock and Barry along for the ride.

SequSpur
01-06-2007, 12:46 AM

you're killing me and I wasn't the reason the Spurs lost.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-06-2007, 12:49 AM
From the Post Game Quotes.....

"We needed it badly. We just couldn't take it, so we just got to give them credit," Ginobili said. "We need to realize we need to improve a lot."

But Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he was "thrilled" with his team's effort.

"We did a great job, we just came up short," he said. "That's all there is to it."

I have a HUGE problem with that last quote, if anyone is thrilled with ANYTHING after that game if you're a Spurs fan......especially the Coach

and finally from AJ....

Our guys are resilient, tough-minded. Fortunately tonight we scored one more point than them," he said. "But you're looking at a championship team in the Spurs. I don't think anybody will remember this game at the end of the season because this is still January."

ShoogarBear
01-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Which is stupid. He should be attacking Dirk the moment he gets the ball.Not just Dirk, and not just this game. I'd like to see Pop teel Tim for the next 3-4 games to go back to making that first move as soon as he has the ball, like the Young Duncan.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Not just Dirk, and not just this game. I'd like to see Pop teel Tim for the next 3-4 games to go back to making that first move as soon as he has the ball, like the Young Duncan.

This I agree with. I hate him waiting for the double. I hate him trying to force a foul when he can easily just get a basket (and probably And 1). He isn't a good free throw shooter, so I don't know why he does weak moves just to go to the line. He's still strong and quick, just power to the rim.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:54 AM
This I agree with. I hate him waiting for the double. I hate him trying to force a foul when he can easily just get a basket (and probably And 1). He isn't a good free throw shooter, so I don't know why he does weak moves just to go to the line. He's still strong and quick, just power to the rim.AMEN.

leemajors
01-06-2007, 12:56 AM

at least oberto was cutting to the rim when duncan had the ball at the top of the key. i thought duncan's quick bounce pass to oberto in the paint for an easy layup was the sweetest play of the whole game - timmy reacted quickly, easy basket. then oberto barely plays in the second. if anyone else on the team gave the effort oberto did in the first and manu did this game we could have won easily.

SequSpur
01-06-2007, 01:01 AM
What makes me calm down is listening to Bill Schoenig telling me that it's only January and must win games come after April. fuckin a..... everything is going to be alright after all because these games don't mean shit and the Spurs are still 12 games above 500.... Wow... I am going to be able to sleep tonight... Fuck, i hope Bonner starts the next game, shit start Beno also, cause Bill says it don't matter.... fuck it... it don't matter to me either... because i watch the games for free.. :lmao fuck you peter holt... fuck you pop.... your lineups don't mean shit either, because it don't matter because Bill says so....

This organization is getting worse by the minute.... Somebody save them.

Dr J
01-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Young Duncan was playing next to the Admiral who was shouldering the defensive chores in the middle. Now, Pop has placed an older Duncan in the middle without a defensive center and his production declines throughout the game. Duncan is an amazing PF when paired with a real C. A few more years with no defensive presence/rebounding in the center, and he will have nothing left in the tank.

The calendar is not the friend of the Spurs. Tick... Tick

John

dg7md
01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
I just haven't seen an amazing performance against top threatening teams this year at all.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
What makes me calm down is listening to Bill Schoenig telling me that it's only January and must win games come after April. fuckin a..... everything is going to be alright after all because these games don't mean shit and the Spurs are still 12 games above 500.... Wow... I am going to be able to sleep tonight... Fuck, i hope Bonner starts the next game, shit start Beno also, cause Bill says it don't matter.... fuck it... it don't matter to me either... because i watch the games for free.. :lmao fuck you peter holt... fuck you pop.... your lineups don't mean shit either, because it don't matter because Bill says so....

This organization is getting worse by the minute.... Somebody save them.

I'd be pissed about springing for League Pass given this shit, but thankfully there's been some great games and just watching Arenas go ape for a week was worth it...

timvp
01-06-2007, 01:27 AM

As of right now, Dirk is just the better player. Can't really say otherwise right now. Duncan's going to have to pick up his game.

Rebounding is a problem? I wonder where I heard that before ...

3. Duncan plays much better when there's a big on the floor (for example, Oberto) than when Pop goes small. Pop needs to watch tape and see that.

I think it's the curse of Michael Finley. The guy just plain sucks. He got dominated by Devean George. That one free-throw miss where George just pushed him aside and got the offensive rebound might have been the most pathetic thing I've seen in a Spurs uniform since watching Steve Smith hustle for a loose ball.

4. Tony did a good job penetrating and ballhandling tonight. His stats weren't flashy, but he was solid and did a good job on defensively for the most part.

Defensively he was good. Offensively I wished he would have attacked more.

Manu was playing at near 100%. I don't know if he can play better.

6. Oberto did a great job in the first half getting himself free (plus the Mavs were ignoring him a bit).

If you don't guard him, he's pretty effective. Although I think that in a seven-game series, any team can adjust to him and make him work for his shots.

7. Barry+Beno = 0-for-12? If the Spurs were showcasing them for a trade, this shit didn't help.

Don't be so hard on that duo ... they were only 0-for-11. And their ballhandling made the difference tonight :jack

Finley is done. Actually, he's even worse than done. Pop trying to fit him into the lineup is why the Spurs got into this small ball mess in the first place. If Finley had signed with Miami or Phoenix, Spurs could be gunning for their third championship in a row.

:pctoss

9. Last play of the game, if I was on the sidelines, Tony would have penetrated and dished to Manu for 3. Manu was on fire and Tony did a great job drawing the defense in the lane with him. The Bowen play wasn't bad, but it wasn't my first choice.

I don't think that play works. You run Parker in a pick-and-roll and all that happens is the Mavs go under it and force Parker to shoot. With Manu they had to send help and jump out on him ... and that's what got Bowen open in the corner.

10. Bowen did a good job on Howard. I know Josh still got his, but he played him really well. Bowen also switched off onto to so many other people Terry, DHarris, Dirk etc. I thought he was really solid defensively.

Bowen did do a pretty good job ... however, AJ made a masterful adjustment in running all the offense thru Dirk and using JHo as a decoy.

11. The Spurs need someone to help with the rebounding. I don't know if that's Corey Maggette, or if they should try to make some other deal. But they really aren't going to make it far in the playoffs with this core of rebounders. I know that part of the problem is that the Spurs went small for long stretches, but honestly, the centers aren't good rebounders really either.

Yep. Reggie Evans would be so sweet right about now. Corey Maggette would be a godsend. Heck, I'd be ecstatic with a freakin' Devin Brown or a Linton Johnson ... someone who can just grab a damn board.

12. Memo to Beno: You aren't Allen Iverson or Kobe, so stop trying to break records for shot attempts.

Remind me never to praise Beno again. He is the worst player in NBA history as far as running plays at the end of quarters. If he doesn't turn it over, he's forcing a shot that he never in his life would make. If he's not doing that, he's shooting with too much time left on the clock.

:lmao X 1,000,000 @ Beno shooting the ball TWICE before he should have at the end of the half. His job was to waste all the time and the Spurs get a final shot. Somehow he shot fast enough to get blocked, get the ball back, miss again and then have Oberto tip it in.

The guy has the basketball IQ of a donut.

:lol @ the KG > Dirk crowd.

Nero
01-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Young Duncan was playing next to the Admiral who was shouldering the defensive chores in the middle. Now, Pop has placed an older Duncan in the middle without a defensive center and his production declines throughout the game. Duncan is an amazing PF when paired with a real C. A few more years with no defensive presence/rebounding in the center, and he will have nothing left in the tank.

The calendar is not the friend of the Spurs. Tick... Tick

John

It's tough to find a defensive center that fits with Pop's small ball lineup these days. Tyson Chandler, Ben Wallace, Pryzbilla, Dalembert, Biedrins? I'd trade eitehr Manu or Parker for one of those. It's not to hard to find a creative swingman or pg/sg who can score even if they do it a little less effectively than those two.

mavsfan1000
01-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I disagree with the comment that Duncan plays better with a big on the floor. The spurs as a unit play better because of better defense and rebounding but Duncan't stats actually are better without a big than with one. Look at last years playoffs to show why he was better. The floor was so spread out that Duncan got to go one-on-one most of the time with an occasional double team which led to an open 3.

bigfan
01-06-2007, 02:13 AM
After tonights game, heres what I think; Tim, Tony, Manu, Bruce, Oberto and Elson are ok with me. If Barry will go back to shooting again he can stay but if he keeps passing clear shots, he goes. Horry and Finley are clearly done. Udrih, Vaughn, Bonner, Williams, Butler, White are all trade bait. I hate to admit that goof Walton was right but if only three guys shoot the ball, were done.

angel_luv
01-06-2007, 02:37 AM

It is funny you say that. I was listening to the React Show and someone called in trying to make that same point. Charlie and Chance wrote him off as ridiculos.
I disagreed with them at the time and now even more that you noticed too.

Tek_XX
01-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Why does Barry drive the ball when he knows he can't finish?

Budkin
01-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Anyone who quits on the Spurs in January is not a real Spurs fan. People need to get some perspective. Jeeze.

T Park
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
TIMVP paints a picture of gloom.

How can you not agree?

Tonight's game makes you not want to go to another game for a long long time.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 03:05 AM
TIMVP paints a picture of gloom.

How can you not agree?

Tonight's game makes you not want to go to another game for a long long time.

I don't think timvp's posts are gloomy. He just thinks the Spurs need a rebounder.

Were you at the game tonight? I didn't see you.

slayermin
01-06-2007, 03:06 AM
I thought the Spurs would win tonight. They didn't. Oh well.

ONLY 48 GAMES LEFT.

team-work
01-06-2007, 03:29 AM
It's more than 6 months since I last signed up here. Despite the slow internet connection after the last earthquake in Taiwan in December, I felt the need to support the team and the fans after 3 bitter losses. For a distinguished team such as the Spurs, it's natural that the fans always have high expectations, and the anger when the team doesn't meet the expectations are understandable. But I truly believe Duncan & Co. have the most distaste for losing, and they will come back strong. It's too early to tell whether the championship is out of reach. Of course, there's much work to do.

kris
01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
People love to have their little cliches about it's just a game and you don't win championships in one game and all that, but if you're not in the Spurs Disneyland Theme Park, you know that the Spurs are now to the Mavs what the Mavs used to be to the Spurs. If the Spurs don't make a big change or a bold move, they definitely cannot beat the Mavs, and to a lesser extent the Suns.

The differences between this team and championship caliber teams are glaring.

1. The defense that used to win all the games in the balance is gone. The Spurs still have a great system, but the personnel for whatever reason (age, etc.) isn't there. Believe it or not, at one time the Spurs would go games without giving up a layup down the middle.

2. Tim Duncan doesn't play like a superstar anymore. I've said that a million times, but it doesn't make it any less true. I know some fans with the blinders on still think he's just deferring or working the double teams, but that's not it. Sometimes the numbers he gets will fool some, but he simply doesn't dominate games anymore.

3. Nobody on the Spurs team looks like they're on a mission to win a championship. Manu really wanted to win tonight, but he's been highly inconsistent. Horry should have retired before the season. Parker doesn't look nearly as sharp this season. Even Pop seems to be stuck on proving what doesn't seem like a good idea will work. The Spurs aren't the team that other teams need to adapt to. Now the Spurs have to adapt to other teams. When are the Spurs going to start acting like that? When is someone - anyone would be nice (David, Sean) - but more specifically Pop going to call out Tim Duncan like Pop did for Sean Elliott? I remember Sean Elliott recalling when Pop made him look in the mirror and Sean bawled and whatever else. Someone needs to say something to Duncan because it's getting to the level of Brett Favre embarrassing.

4. Where are the big contributing role players? There is no Speedy Claxton, Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, Jaren Jackson, Robert Horry (2005) that can come in and be a difference maker. Brent Barry is a one trick pony. Beno is a story all his own. Bonner tries but really doesn't have enough talent to make a difference in a playoff series. Oberto can take layups the defense gives up, but outside of that his lack of athleticism makes him ineffective.

Pop reminds me of Marge Simpson the time she got that fabulous Chanelle suit at the irregular factory store in Ogdenville. She re-tailored a couple of times and played it off a couple of times with good results, but eventually she tried to stretch it too far and she became the laughingstock of the country club.

slayermin
01-06-2007, 03:55 AM
after 3 bitter losses.

I really thought and hoped the guys would pull it out tonight but bitter? I wouldn't call any of the last three losses bitter. Maybe disappointing and alarming but not bitter.

The Spurs exiled two centers in the off season and without Francisco Elson, their frontline is depleted. That has been quite obvious the last few games.

Also, Bruce Bowen is not this bad a shooter. He gets the benefit of the doubt in my book. If his struggles continue for another week or so, I might worry because then Pop won't be able to keep him out on the floor. I chaulk it up to the new ball.

And really, what is so scary about these Mavs? Good team on a hot streak? yes. Great team? That remains to be seen.

xamila rey
01-06-2007, 04:04 AM
then his transformation into Nick Van Exel is complete. He's learned his lessons well.
:lmao :lmao

Das Texan
01-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I dont know anymore.

We are a one and done team right now.

Some move has to be made, and frankly I dont care what it is. What we have isnt working period.

Whoever said it is right. Somone needs to ball up and just flat out call out Tim Duncan. Anyone with half a brain and void of the homer glasses can see that right now he is a problem on this team as much as anyone else.

I think you can count on a finger or maybe two who cared enough to win that game tonight.

The rest have been going through the motions way too much.

We need a change of some type. I'm tired of this same ole shit this year.

Texas_Ranger
01-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Duncan needs to take 25 shots per game. And his teammates need to pass him more.

themvp
01-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Duncan needs to take 25 shots per game. And his teammates need to pass him more.

Yes.

But the problem is Pop.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Anyone who quits on the Spurs in January is not a real Spurs fan. People need to get some perspective. Jeeze.No one here is quiting on the Spurs. I'm sure everyone here will chear hard as hell come playoff time, but the fact is that this team does not look nearly as good as others have in hte past. Thats just the reality of the situation.

There is still time for improvement and/or personal changes, but there's nothing wrong with admitting this team has issues.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 08:38 AM
It is funny you say that. I was listening to the React Show and someone called in trying to make that same point. Charlie and Chance wrote him off as ridiculos.
I disagreed with them at the time and now even more that you noticed too.Those 2 sounded like idiots tonight. I never listen to their show, but since it took us 30+ minutes to leave the parking lot tonight I had them on. They tried to say that you can't play Oberto in the 3rd because he'd have to guard George etc.

WHO THE FUCK CARES?

If the Mavs start running isolations for players other than Dirk, Howard or Terry, then you're probably in a better situation than you would be with the others having the ball.

leemajors
01-06-2007, 08:42 AM

that's not gonna do jack shit if he's waiting forever to do something and listening to midgets on the sideline yelling double, double! tim isn't even trying to get good position in the post anymore.

ducks
01-06-2007, 09:38 AM
dirk's airball won the game
when terry got the rebound and made the basket

ducks
01-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the spur players believe in small ball and not sold on it

KB24
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
:blah

SenorSpur
01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Calm down? Why?

Now is as good a time to panic as any.

mabber
01-06-2007, 10:32 AM
First off, I know you guys are excited, mad, sad, whatever, but stop posting wildly and starting new threads for every single thought that pops into your brains :wtf

About The Game

Props to the Mavs. Dirk was awesome. The Mavericks are a very good 4th quarter team. If you've watched them during the streak, they've been terrific at coming back in games.

Some game thoughts:

That's it.

I agree with all but #9. Good post!

While having Bowen shoot the potentially tying 3 pointer is not ideal. The play did get him a WIDE OPEN 3 pt attempt in an area he's usually purdy good from. The Mavs were not going to let Ginobli get a good look at a 3 pointer on that play and Pop knew it.

I will give even more props to Bowen for the job he did on Howard. I was impressed (even though I know Bowen is a great defender). Putting Bowen on Howard is their best chance. They just have to live with Dirk getting more points but it's better than the alternative as Bowen can only slow down Dirk while no one other than Bowen can hang with Howard.

Also, that's the best I've seen Ginobli play in a long time. He had a really good game.

A player like Oberto hurts the Mavs in the first half just about every game. They adjust at half time and that's usually the end of it.

Lastly, I know I don't see all the Spur's games so this is based on just the dozen or so I've seen but y'all need another backup point guard.

VaSpursFan
01-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Remind me never to praise Beno again. He is the worst player in NBA history as far as running plays at the end of quarters. If he doesn't turn it over, he's forcing a shot that he never in his life would make. If he's not doing that, he's shooting with too much time left on the clock.

:lmao X 1,000,000 @ Beno shooting the ball TWICE before he should have at the end of the half. His job was to waste all the time and the Spurs get a final shot. Somehow he shot fast enough to get blocked, get the ball back, miss again and then have Oberto tip it in.

The guy has the basketball IQ of a donut.

this is perhaps the best assessment of beno. if we see this, why doesn't the coaching staff see this and keep this dood planted on the bench. and if i see another barry, beno backcourt, i'm gonna scream. everytime we have a lead in the third and pop puts this ass lineup in, we lose the lead and the game. POP, is it really that difficult to stagger minutes so that 1 of the big 3 is always on the court for the entire 48 minutes...WTF????

Cherry
01-06-2007, 11:04 AM
It's more than 6 months since I last signed up here. Despite the slow internet connection after the last earthquake in Taiwan in December, I felt the need to support the team and the fans after 3 bitter losses. For a distinguished team such as the Spurs, it's natural that the fans always have high expectations, and the anger when the team doesn't meet the expectations are understandable. But I truly believe Duncan & Co. have the most distaste for losing, and they will come back strong. It's too early to tell whether the championship is out of reach. Of course, there's much work to do.

a real fan :clap :clap :clap :toast

Dalhoop
01-06-2007, 11:07 AM
And really, what is so scary about these Mavs? Good team on a hot streak? yes. Great team? That remains to be seen.

The Mavs are not going anywhere, they have the best record in the league and are up in their division by a handful of games. I know that its early, but to think that the Mavs are going to "slow down" is sort of reaching a bit.

In almost two calendar months the Mavs have only lost three games ... TWO MONTHS ... THREE LOSSES. Add two winning double digit winning streaks and the Mavs seem to be playing like that have something to prove after last years loss in the Finals.

Try not to sell the Mavs short.

Now about the game last night. You can sit here at your computer saying things like "Its only Jan." and "The season is still young" but the truth is that any game between the Spurs and Mavs is a big game for both teams.

Any game that the two teams play has "playoff atmosphere". Although the Mavs didn't come out and say, the Spurs did "We needed this one and just didn't get it". Both teams knew that they needed this one.

For the Spurs it was all about the big three and Oberto even got into the scoring, for the Mavs Terry's shot didn't show up and only Dirk and Howard made it to double digits. Reading that recap, nine times out of ten, would indicate a Spurs win. But not this time.

Spurs fans will say that their players shots were off, Mavs fans will say it was DEFENCE. As a Mavs fan, I'm going with defense :)

The Spurs scoring was shut down after the half, not getting more the twenty points in either the third or fourth quarters. At the same time the Mavs offense accelerated as the game wore on, scoring fifty in the second half.

Even in a back-to-back situation, the Mavs got better as the game progressed. This points to the problem with the Spurs .. Outside of the three stars, they have nobody that anyone cares about.

For the longest time it was always the Mavs that was the better offensive team and the Spurs better at defense. The Mavs are now playing defense and getting stops when they need them ... late in the game.

The Spurs needed to make a big move in the off season and got Vaughn, Bonner and a pair of centers. The Spurs still need to make a move before the playoffs. The Mavs this season are better then the Mavs of last season ... and they took the Spurs out in the playoffs. Its not too late now, but it will be sooner rather then later.

Some posters here like to think that its the Spurs that need to make other teams adapt to the way the Spurs play. This is not realistic. At what position/positions do the Spurs have a player that creates match-up problems? The answer is none. So you have a fast PG .. Most teams in the west do nowadays (Terry/Harris, Nash/Barbossa, Davis, Paul, AI) and , so you have a dynamic SG/SF .. Again most teams in the West do (Kobe, T-Mac, Howard, Richardson, Allen, Mello) so you have a very good PF (AK-47, Dirk, K-Mart, Brand, Amare, KG).

The truth is that the things that the Spurs have, most of the other teams in the West have. Some of the teams in the West have more then "just three stars" (Dallas, Utah and Suns ... Denver may be close). The Spurs won because of their defense and in that teams are starting to catch up with the Spurs. By staying pat in the off season, the Spurs lost ground and now it is starting to show.

This is not to say that the Spurs will not make it into the playoff, they are far better them many teams out there, but they are not the best in the league, maybe not even in the third or fourth best. The Spurs have to ask themselves whether that will be enough, or if they want to be the best.

The Spurs will have home court in the first round and will no doubt dispatch whoever they face, its the second round that will be a problem.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Why does Barry drive the ball when he knows he can't finish?

:lol Exactly. Brent needs to take that midrange game completely out. He should never attept those shots. He needs to stick to attempting 3 pointers...

wildbill2u
01-06-2007, 12:14 PM
This I agree with. I hate him waiting for the double. I hate him trying to force a foul when he can easily just get a basket (and probably And 1). He isn't a good free throw shooter, so I don't know why he does weak moves just to go to the line. He's still strong and quick, just power to the rim.
Note that on most of those weak fouls, Tim still misses the close-in shot. He almost NEVER gets an "and one" because he's putting up weak shit.

He's not the Tim of old in so many categories. He should retire if he doesn't want to play hard and the Spurs can go lottery for his replacement.

Manu_The _Best
01-06-2007, 06:44 PM
That's it.

Kori,

Good analysis, but, you are missing some very important points here:

I agree with points 1-4, and with you that “Duncan plays much better when there's a big on the floor (for example, Oberto) than when Pop goes small. Pop needs to watch tape and see that.” Pop didn’t see that last year in the Playoffs by benching Nazr and Rasho and we lost the SERIES 3-4…Tony did a good job compare to the others who didn’t produce anything, but he had only 4 assists vs. Terry’s 8, thus Terry was much more productive sharing the basketball and finding open men. In today’s NBA, 4 asts don’t count for anything, simply Tony failed in the second half as producing only 1 ast and he was LOST in most part of the 3rd and the 4th…he wasn’t that aggressive going to the FT line – only 3 FTs showed you, he was less aggressive than usual…Narry + Beno = 0-12 is a DISASTER for me – I have no idea WHY they are NOT playing (maybe considering the RUMOR they being offered for a trade???). Another thing is to criticize Pop: Getting Barry and Oberto involved in the starting lineup will help them be more motivated and give 100% - Barry deserves it since he was outstanding this season…Oberto PLAYED excellent when he was a starter, and I have no idea WHY Popovich put him to come from the bench – since he did that Oberto is giving us exactly S**T!!! Barry was benched in the last few games before the losing streak, for no reason, and he delivered NOTHING last night as well (wondering WHY he was benched after giving 100% prior)...Popovich needs to start Barry early in the game to keep him focused…

About Finley: I call him the “Goose Egg" – send FINLEY TO THE WAIVERS TODAY!!! He is USELESS...he was shining (by mistake) in only 1 game vs. Memphis...One game is NOT a barometer...In the Popovich's book of "who I like, and who I don't", compare to what he did in prior years [by ABUSING Malik Rose and Nazr Mohammed] Finley shouldn’t be playing at ALL, but just be a spectator…Nene – Finley got “his” minutes last night also, especially (and I agree with you!), that post up crap in the 4th…The truth is, Finley is finished. In addition, you are NOT mentioning anything about Horry? Horry is DONE WITH NBA as well…He needs to retire NOW. He CANNOT even shoot the ball…WHY he played so many minutes last night? Where is J. Butler? I have the feeling the Mavs are playing with us…They know they could increase the tempo at any second, and we simply couldn’t compete…I agree the Spurs need someone to help with the rebounding – Again to ask Pop, WHY J. Butler is NOT playing – he could get you the rbs you need (read more below about it)…

Now, you keep repeating that “Dirk freakin' awesome” – we all know that, but in sports, you play up to the point you’re allowed to by the opponent – in our case, The Spurs allowed Dirk to do whatever he wanted to…He looked like a hero, yes…Put Rasheed Wallace on him, I guarantee he won’t score 36…no way…The Spurs missed Elson to cover Dirk, I know, with Elson playing, Dirk wouldn’t score that many points…

The other important thing you are missing is the Spurs ARE OLD: In the past few years, Pop dragged this team into the ground, slowly and surely…WITH NO VALUABLE TRADES, NO VALUABLE PICK UPS and draft picks in the last few years, the SPURS HAVE a SMALL CHANCE NOW TO WIN A TITLE…This is NOT just 3 game LOSING streak for us to calm down – the Spurs SIMPLY don’t have the roster to compete with Dallas, Houston, the Suns and even Denver (AI + CA) right now. This is reality…Unless, the OLD DONKEYS in our team perform miracles, we are going to have a long summer this year – the Spurs MUST GET RID OF THE FOLLOWING: Horry, Finley, Vaughn, Beno, Williams, etc. and acquire young and athletic players….THE SOLE BLAME FOR THE WHOLE DISASTER, WITHOUT A DOUBT, is POP, who didn’t acquire the right personnel this year, neither drafted anyone valuable in the last few years - the Spurs didn’t rebuild and found themselves in trouble this year playing OLD DONKEYS – a result of a failed and ugly policy by a coach and a manager, who forgot the basic rules in the NBA…The Draft Picks are your life lines…too bad for Manu’s talent who doesn’t deserve this!!!

My proposal for now - Starting Lineup: Tony, Barry, Bowen, Tim and Oberto – I would start Barry and Oberto for JUST 2 min. to motivate them and bring the energy we need as a whole…Then, Manu and Elson CAN come in and take most of the minutes in the 1st quarter…Getting Barry and Oberto involved in the starting lineup will help them be more motivated and give 100% - Barry deserves it despite he went cold in the past 3-4 games…Oberto PLAYED excellent when he was a starter, and I have no idea WHY Popovich put him to come from the bench – since he did that Oberto is giving us exactly S**T!!! Barry was benched in the last few games (before last night), for no reason, and he delivered NOTHING last night as well wondering WHY he was benched before after giving 100%...Popovich needs to start Barry early in the game to keep him focused…

Vaughn is simply NOT doing it…ANOTHER USELESS "GOOSE EGG" if you ask me...Get rid of him…

Give at least 17 min. to Bonner – he did deliver for the minutes he played…But, he is also a little sluggish and CANNOT move the same way the young and athletic Mavericks do…

Get involved Williams in this case – he also delivered when Popovich played him…Williams CAN play MUCH better than Horry and score some points for sure

Give minutes to J. Butler as well, at least 20 min. WHY the Spurs acquired him ANYWAY? To stay on the bench ??? Don’t understand Pop for that…J. Butler CAN rebound the Basketball – last year the second half with the Knicks his stat per 48 min, is the following :

Player AS/48 ST/48 TO/48 BK/48 OR/48 TR/48

Butler, Jackie 1.6 0.7 3.8 2.0 4.4 12.1

This stat shows you excellent rebounding capabilities 4.4 OR/48 (!!!) is almost the same as Dampier, and 2.0 Blocks per 48 shows you clearly, who can be the shot blocker for the Spurs as well!!! BLAME POP FOR NOT PLAYING HIM, OK!!!??? NOBODY ELSE!!! ONLY POP!!!

In the overall strategy the Spurs should get rid of (somehow) Finley, Horry, and Vaughn, immediately via trades or sending them somehow to the waivers or buying their contracts (whatever it takes)…

The Spurs need to locate strong and athletic PF or SF who can help them with rebounding, energy, and some scoring…The Spurs need to play Butler for 20 min. Also the backup PG problem still stands – Vaughn and Beno aren’t the answers…We need to bring young and fresh “blood” ASAP, if we want to save the season! Send this to Pop if you wish…Cheers!

GO SPURS!!!

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Problem solved.

Rings for everyone.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Heh after yesterday, I'm kinda glad we lost during january, instead of eeked out a complacent win, now it'll force the spurs to reevaluate and try to make some moves.

I'd prefer we win our last match with the Mavs in the regular season than now. We definitely have some weaknesses (at the 3 spot, rebounding lack of youth) that Pop and co would have ignored with that "glass half full" attitude ignoring the fact that the Mavs have all the edge.

ponky
01-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Heh after yesterday, I'm kinda glad we lost during january, instead of eeked out a complacent win, now it'll force the spurs to reevaluate and try to make some moves.

I'd prefer we win our last match with the Mavs in the regular season than now. We definitely have some weaknesses (at the 3 spot, rebounding lack of youth) that Pop and co would have ignored with that "glass half full" attitude ignoring the fact that the Mavs have all the edge.

That game hardly ever matters because the teams usually sit their starters to prevent injuries, rest them up, etc. It's the third to last game of the season for both teams and depending on the records, they might play hard but I doubt it. A couple of seasons ago (maybe two?) I remember Pop sitting his starters on purpose and kind of making the Mavs' win meaningless on purpose...if the Mavs are good to go in the standings, I could see Avery doing the same thing.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
That game hardly ever matters because the teams usually sit their starters to prevent injuries, rest them up, etc. It's the third to last game of the season for both teams and depending on the records, they might play hard but I doubt it. A couple of seasons ago (maybe two?) I remember Pop sitting his starters on purpose and kind of making the Mavs' win meaningless on purpose...if the Mavs are good to go in the standings, I could see Avery doing the same thing.
Oops, I didn't check when it falls on the schedule, I guess it's right before the playoffs then.

With this rate of wins and losses, Mavs will probably get Homecourt advantage anyway. I mean, for one thing, Homecourt advantage didn't have any bearing on either teams in the WCSF, so I guess it really won't matter.