PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, how was the officiating?

jack0fspeed
01-06-2007, 12:48 AM
From the perspective of a biased Mavs fan, the Spurs got the benefit of a lot of calls and no-calls.

Was this an evenly officiated game?

timvp
01-06-2007, 12:49 AM
No, the Mavs got hosed. And still won.

Not the greatest of signs for the Spurs.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:49 AM
It was evenly officiated, I think. I have no problems with it, other then the fact that it seemed the officials got to whistle crazy at one point...

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:50 AM
I thought it was close to fair, but that the Spurs got a few calls their way that they shouldn't have.

Leetonidas
01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Home-field advantage basically.

Dr J
01-06-2007, 12:52 AM
You know that it is obvious when Bill Walton recognizes/comments that only 3 minutes remain in the fourth quarter and the Spurs have not had a foul called. Fortunately, the Spurs are not a good free throw team.

John

Dirk41MVP
01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
VERY surprising to see y'all think it was rigged in your favor too...

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 12:54 AM

Not really rigged. But if any team had any advantage, it was the Spurs. It wasn't drastic.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
It was mainly the 4th quarter where the refs got whistle crazy against the Mavs. The first 3 quarters were fair I think...

THE SIXTH MAN
01-06-2007, 12:58 AM
What else but inconsistency can you expect from the way the games are being called today.

jack0fspeed
01-06-2007, 12:59 AM
These two teams will play a great game without the refs getting in the way. It's a shame that the refs make their presence felt.

Sorry, we are still smarting from the finals last year.

DubMcDub
01-06-2007, 02:52 AM
"Rigged" implies intentional. I don't think any NBA game is ever intentionally officiated poorly. If you believe otherwise, then why even watch?

This game did seem to have "home court advantage" a bit for the Spurs. But who does that really surprise? That happens quite a bit in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Stern will never let you win.

mavsfan1000
01-06-2007, 03:15 AM
True story. Just look back at the mavs and heat series and that has rigged all over it. This game wasn't that great either but it wasn't as bad as a couple of the games in the mavs and heat series.

DubMcDub
01-06-2007, 03:17 AM

I just don't believe this. There was some poor officiating in the finals, but there's poor officiating in lots of games. That's not the reason the Mavs lost. Mavs lost cause they couldn't hit an open jumper against a packed lane from the Miami zone D.

Drbio
01-06-2007, 04:03 AM
I hate bitching about the refs so I don't do it, but it is refreshing to see fans from almost every team complaining in unison about how crappy the refs have been over the past couple years and especially this year.

greensborohill
01-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I just don't believe this. There was some poor officiating in the finals, but there's poor officiating in lots of games. That's not the reason the Mavs lost. Mavs lost cause they couldn't hit an open jumper against a packed lane from the Miami zone D.

Three straight games of bad officiating in the finals? Open your eyes. I just hope Stern did that to teach Cubes a lesson and that he'll let us play this year.

samikeyp
01-06-2007, 10:41 AM
"Rigged" implies intentional. I don't think any NBA game is ever intentionally officiated poorly. If you believe otherwise, then why even watch?

This game did seem to have "home court advantage" a bit for the Spurs. But who does that really surprise? That happens quite a bit in the NBA.

Well said. I think the home team usually gets a few more calls per game and that was the case last night. Certainly didn't stop Dallas.

Three straight games of bad officiating in the finals? Open your eyes. I just hope Stern did that to teach Cubes a lesson and that he'll let us play this year.

If I remember correctly, and I do, you chastised fans at SpursCentral last year for blaming the refs during the WCSF and rightfully so because blaming the refs is stupid....so why is it when Spurs fans bitch about refs its whining...but when Mavs fans do it...its legit?

exstatic
01-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Every time I looked around in the second half, there was a group of players going for the rebound, the outcome was unclear, and the Mavs got the ball, EVERY time. I don't think there was even one bang bang out of bounds call that went SA's way in the second half. That probably at least offset the FT discrepency. I'd call it even: Mavs got the edge on out of bounds possessions and SA got to the line more. Another bang bang game that came down to a shot to tie with a few seconds left. Spurs got worked on the boards, AGAIN.

jack0fspeed
01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
The biggest problem I have is that Manu got 11 ftas. That's just ridiculous. The guy avgs 15 points per game and he goes to the line 11 times?

Meanwhile, Devin Harris and Josh Howard go to the line 7 times combined.

Manu getting touch call after touch call. Devin Harris in particular getting clobbered going to the hoop.

exstatic
01-06-2007, 11:41 AM
He also averages about 26 minutes, but played 34.

Howard normally shoots jumpers or uses his in between game. He's not the relentless driver that Manu is. Harris is a pup. He'll get calls...eventually. We had to wait thru the same phase for Parker.

texas84
01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Not really rigged. But if any team had any advantage, it was the Spurs. It wasn't drastic.

Agreed... If the Mavs had lost, i wouldn't have been complaining about the officiating.

I still hate Steve Javie tho.

twincam
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I did realize that superstars don't get the technical fouls as easily as the other players. It's amazing and very unfair. I don't understand why referees cater to stars and allow them to get away with technical fouls, obvious non-calls that should have been called.
It's basically set up for allowing the superstars to produce the ratings. The officials are all in it. It's a given. They might as well go back to two referees vs. three

mabber
01-06-2007, 12:54 PM
The biggest problem I have is that Manu got 11 ftas. That's just ridiculous. The guy avgs 15 points per game and he goes to the line 11 times?

Meanwhile, Devin Harris and Josh Howard go to the line 7 times combined.

Manu getting touch call after touch call. Devin Harris in particular getting clobbered going to the hoop.

I think Manu deserved all his free throws. I really don't recall anyone of the fouls he drew being bad calls. You are correct though...in that Harris got hammered a couple of times w/o getting a call.

Overall, I thought the game was fairly officiated.

Even the play where Barry got all ball on Dirk was a foul cuz he got him on the head with his arm.

jack0fspeed
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
"Harris is a pup. He'll get calls...eventually"

Actually Ginobili, Howard, and Harris are all around 4 ftas/game this year
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3732
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3822
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3380

So this game was a statistical anomaly with Manu getting 3x his usual number of ftas.

To my eyes, Howard and Harris didn't get calls that they have been getting this year. Manu got a bunch that he usually wouldn't get.

Solid D
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM

:lol

v2freak
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
The Spurs got quite a bit more free throws. Overall, the officiating went the Spurs' way

exstatic
01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
The Spurs got quite a bit more free throws. Overall, the officiating went the Spurs' way
FTs went their way. Out of bounds that the officials couldn't figure out or see went Dallas's way, overwhelmingly. Result: a wash.

DubMcDub
01-06-2007, 06:33 PM
FTs went their way. Out of bounds that the officials couldn't figure out or see went Dallas's way, overwhelmingly. Result: a wash.

Except for the one in the 1st half where the ref closest to the play said Dallas ball, Duncan bitched for 20 seconds, then the ref that was at halfcourt changed it to SA ball.

I didn't know Duncan was a ref now. :rolleyes

hero03msu
01-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I thought Timmy could have gotten 2 early fouls when Harris drived into the lane and drew the contact from Tim in the 1st quarter, but he was given the benefit.

jack0fspeed
01-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I have no problem with Duncan getting superstar treatment on defense or offense.

But to me, if Harris gets obviously hacked somebody's got to get the foul. Whoever is standing next to Duncan will be fine.

exstatic
01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Except for the one in the 1st half where the ref closest to the play said Dallas ball, Duncan bitched for 20 seconds, then the ref that was at halfcourt changed it to SA ball.

I didn't know Duncan was a ref now. :rolleyes
Except that David Jones was already running in to change the call before Duncan even complained. He had the best view of the play, so it wasn't a tossup. Replays showed that it WAS San Antonio ball.

There were like 3-4 in a row in the second half that no ref had a clear view of, and they ALL went Dallas's way. The worst one was between Josh Howard and Horry. Howard was between Horry and the baseline, and he clearly touched the ball last before it went out. Dallas ball.

spurastic
01-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Just because the Spurs got more freethrows doesn't mean that the calls went their way. Dallas works hard at earning every one of their foul calls. Dallas' defense is based on throwing elbows, tripping, going over the back, and whatever else they can do (including if necessary, grabbing balls and I don't mean the leather one). I actually think it would help Duncan if he threw out a few elbows. Maybe Dirk could give him a lesson in use of elbows and not getting called on it. Then there's the fine art of tripping. Maybe a few lessons can be given to Tony.