PDA

View Full Version : "Minority" Bill Of Rights

01-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Listening to one of the XM talk shows on the way home last night, one of the commentators brought up that for the past three years, the Democrat minority in the House would propose this "Bill Of Rights" that allowed more notice of bills, more participation from the minority, etc., and that each time the Republican majority basically ignored them. So, this go around, it looks like the Republican minority is proposing the same thing almost verbatim for this congress.

Anyone want to lay odds that the new hypocrisy is the same as the old hypocrisy?

exstatic
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
That the Republicans would even ASK for such a thing after K-street makes me laugh. Not only did they completely shut out the D party in congress, your lobbying firm was likely to be ignored and marginalized if you even HIRED a former Democrat.

01-06-2007, 10:56 AM
That the Republicans would even ASK for such a thing after K-street makes me laugh. Not only did they completely shut out the D party in congress, your lobbying firm was likely to be ignored and marginalized if you even HIRED a former Democrat.

I don't disagree, but I think they could make a lot of public hay if the Democrats do them the same.

exstatic
01-06-2007, 11:20 AM
The fact is, they are the minority party, period. That's doesn't mean there will be a reverse K-street, but they won't be calling the shots, and they need to get used to it. As long as the Democrats stay out of ethics trouble for a while, I don't think any hay can be made. The GOP wasn't kicked out over K-street, after all. It was the corruption.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 02:32 PM
The Republicans will defeinitely be shut out of the first hundred hours. After that? Who cares? The arrogant leadership thought they would never lose power and now they're paying the price. Does anyone seriously think that if they were given these rights, they would extend them to the Democrats whenever they regain power?

01-06-2007, 02:49 PM
The Republicans will defeinitely be shut out of the first hundred hours. After that? Who cares? The arrogant leadership thought they would never lose power and now they're paying the price. Does anyone seriously think that if they were given these rights, they would extend them to the Democrats whenever they regain power?

So you don't think maintaining the "status quo" (i.e. keeping the minority power down), won't work against the Democrats in the court of public opinion?

I think that the D's are missing an opportunity to extend bipartisanship and take the "Look at what they did!" bullet out of the R's arsenal in 2008.

Nobody really remembers yesterday's hypocrisy, only today's.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
So you don't think maintaining the "status quo" (i.e. keeping the minority power down), won't work against the Democrats in the court of public opinion?Not if they seem effective in passing legislation.
Nobody really remembers yesterday's hypocrisy, only today's.But in order to understand that particular hypocrisy today, one has to know about the past hypocrisy--that's the hidden brilliance of the Minority Bill of Rights. Like I said, the Republicans had their chance; the Democrats knew they would never go for it and now they have a historical excuse not to live up to it.

smeagol
01-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Ahhh . . . !

Politics . . .

spurster
01-07-2007, 12:23 AM
In the House, the Democrats call the shots. In the Senate, because it's nearly even, the Democrats can't do any lawmaking without compromises with the GOP.