PDA

View Full Version : Computer Whiz's... please help me!

scott
01-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Alright, I need to set up a website and more importantly at this juncture an email account for my small business (not a web based business).

My first question is this... if I want to get my email's in real time on my Blackberry, will a basic hosting plan with POP3 email servers work? Or do I need an email server like Microsoft Exchange?

On a side note, does anyone have a good recommendation for a hosting plan? For the next few months all I'm going to have is a "coming soon" splash page.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 11:21 AM
A basic POP3 account should work fine, just have the server send you an email to your blackberry letting you know when you get an email.

scott
01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
So an email to my Blackberry telling me I have email? I want to get the actual email on my Blackberry, since I'm typically not in a position to check my email account.

scott
01-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Also... anyone with a Blackberry help me out (I am getting mine today). If I get sent an email, it will get sent to both my mailbox and my Blackberry, yes? Well, if I delete it from my mailbox (in Outlook), will my Blackberry update to show it has been deleted? In other words, is it a true extension of my Outlook?

scott
01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Also... anyone with a Blackberry help me out (I am getting mine today). If I get sent an email, it will get sent to both my mailbox and my Blackberry, yes? Well, if I delete it from my mailbox (in Outlook), will my Blackberry update to show it has been deleted? In other words, is it a true extension of my Outlook?

Okay, well I managed to find this answer on my own... but does anyone know if POP3 will work or if I need to get an Exchange server plan?

01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Scott, I believe POP3 will work since a few folks that I work with have Blackberry's and our company uses a Novell Groupwise email server.

scott
01-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks 1369,

I've been researching all morning. It appears that if I go the POP3 route, it will only rend/recieve every 15 minutes (the shortest interval you can set). To get the true "live" syncing I am looking for, I'd need a Blackberry Enterprise Server plan, which I can get for about $10 a month on top of the $10 a month I'd pay for a Microsoft Exchange Server. On the other hand, if I went with something like a Motorola Q that runs Windows Mobile, I'd only need the $10 a month Microsoft Exchange Server plan that has Windows ActiveSync built in.

So... new question... anyone have thoughts on a Q versus a Blackberry? In online reviews, it is pretty slanted towards the Blackberry for real business applications. More people who favor the Q seem to do so for its "sexy" factor and it's multimedia application support.