PDA

View Full Version : 76ers Working On a Buyout For Webber?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Brown back; source: Webber buyout?By PHIL JASNER
[email protected]

MINNEAPOLIS - Larry Brown will not be an unofficial adviser to the 76ers anymore. He's coming back in the front office.

The former Sixers coach will be named an executive vice president today, with responsibilities in basketball operations and special projects relating to basketball.

A source, meanwhile, indicated that the Sixers have been working on a potential buyout of the remainder of Chris Webber's contract.

Those developments came to light as the Sixers dropped a 104-102 overtime decision to the Timberwolves last night.

Brown first came to the Sixers in 1997-98 as head coach and vice president of basketball operations. He took them to the NBA Finals in 2000-01, then left to coach the Detroit Pistons.

He won a championship in 2003-04, then took Detroit back to the Finals the following season. In '05-06, he joined the New York Knicks, a situation that collapsed around him. He was replaced this season by Isiah Thomas.

Brown, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer, moved his family back to the Philadelphia suburbs after leaving the Knicks, and was advising Sixers president/GM Billy King and the basketball operations staff for virtually the entire season.

Webber remained in the team's hotel last night during the game as he battled flulike symptoms. He joined the team in time to ride the bus to the airport for the charter flight back to Philadelphia. This was the ninth game in the last 12 in which he was unavailable, in part because of right foot and ankle problems.

He has a $20,718,750 salary this season and is due $22,312,500 next season.

It remained unclear how far along discussions have gone. King did not respond to two e-mail messages from the Daily News last night and was unavailable for comment. Senior vice president and assistant GM Tony DiLeo, who was traveling with the team, declined to comment.

kingsfan
01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
He needs to get out of Philly, he's not happy there. I think he would have played a lot more if he was somewhere he liked. At the Kings game he looked so miserable. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

Texas_Ranger
01-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I would like to see him in the Kings jersey once again. They should trade Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas for him.

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
God I hope the Sixers get rid of Chris Webber. He's a deadweight. They have a nice core to build around Igodala and Korver.

JamStone
01-06-2007, 04:00 PM
They need to buy him out, and Chris needs to go to the Rockets. They need a starting caliber PF even if it's a one-legged Webber. Chuck Hayes and Juwan Howard are just not a formidable power forward tandem. Webber would get plenty of touches with doubles on T-Mac and Yao, and there should be a lot of minutes available for him.

timvp
01-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Who would have thought that the Webber trade would come back to haunt Philly? (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11110)

:santahat

1Parker1
01-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Who would have thought that the Webber trade would come back to haunt Philly? (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11110)

:santahat

:lmao At my optimism in that thread. WTF was I :smokin getting all excited over Chris Webber?!

WOW! I am speechless. If this doesn't get people around here to stop talking football and the Eagles, I don't know what will!

baseline bum
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I can't decide which team got screwed worse in that deal. The Kings haven't mattered since they traded him, and he never did shit in Philly.

Pero
01-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I would like to see him in the Kings jersey once again. They should trade Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas for him.

Yeah right, no way I`d do that trade if I`m the Kings.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
OMG OMG! Cuban is a dumb pile of shit if he is not all over this one. WOW imagine getting webber for nothing... :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:. We can still use Stack and Croshere plus fillers to maybe land Zach Randolph here if Webber isnt a Mav. :drunk :drunk

dallaskd
01-07-2007, 12:17 AM
i wouldnt mind landing webber for cheap. he would be a good back up for dirk. then all we would have to do is trade croshere and stack or aj cause johnson wants more mintues anyway for a good backup sf or pg.

baseline bum
01-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't mind you guys getting Webber either.

timvp
01-07-2007, 01:27 AM
I can't decide which team got screwed worse in that deal. The Kings haven't mattered since they traded him, and he never did shit in Philly.

You don't think the Kings bailed on his $80M contract just in time? The Kings would be way worse off if they would have just kept Webber. And the Sixers gave up all their tradeable contracts and became so bad that they were forced to give up AI.

The trade single-handedly initiated the free fall from a playoff team to a lotto team that was forced to trade Allen Iverson for Andre Miller :rollin

mavsfan1000
01-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Spurs could add Webber to their team if this is true. Just an idea because of how weak the center position for San Antonio.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-07-2007, 03:18 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes some inside scoring could fucking help the Mavs in a 7 game series. Love the dissing on a team who no longer concerns me anymore but if we could land webber for cheap or find a way to get Zach Randolph here, its stupid of the Mavs to pass either of those up!

Sacramental
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
a lot of ppl say shit about webber now, but this guy was on his way to being one of the best players in NBA history if his knee didn't go out