PDA

View Full Version : New Spurs Writer: Feedback Requested

Bill Ingram
01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Greetings Spurs Talk!

We're auditioning a new Spurs writer over at HOOPSWORLD.COM and we'd really appreciate the feedback of the Spurs faithful.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20241.shtml

There's a place to send your feedback at the bottom of the article and we would really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind letting us know what you think of Gregory Moore. He's been covering the Spurs for nine seasons and is looking to move into the big time.

Is he ready?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Never heard of him.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:17 PM
:lmao

Spurs lose to the Mavericks and now this?

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Greetings Spurs Talk!

We're auditioning a new Spurs writer over at HOOPSWORLD.COM and we'd really appreciate the feedback of the Spurs faithful.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20241.shtml

There's a place to send your feedback at the bottom of the article and we would really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind letting us know what you think of Gregory Moore. He's been covering the Spurs for nine seasons and is looking to move into the big time.

Is he ready?

:lol

This a funny post. Greg writes for multiple newspapers and magazines regularly. He is periodically on ESPN TV and on radio shows across the country. And you think he's "looking to move into the big time" with HoopsWorld?

I think he's just picking up another side writing job.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 03:19 PM
As for the article:

Decent subject matter. Too many questions in the first paragraph. A lot of typos.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
big time = no proofreaders

Bill Ingram
:lol

This a funny post. Greg writes for multiple newspapers and magazines regularly. He is periodically on ESPN TV and on radio shows across the country. And you think he's "looking to move into the big time" with HoopsWorld?

I think he's just picking up another side writing job.

He's the one who said he's looking to move into the big time. No one gets more views than HOOPSWORLD that doesn't have NBA.COM or ESPN in their name.

1Parker1
As for the article:

Decent subject matter. Too many questions in the first paragraph. A lot of typos.

:tu

He used good stats to incorporate stuff, but I'd like to see a little less fluff in the begining.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
A lot of typos.

I think that's pretty much a prerequisite for an article to get on Hoopsworld.

Hoopsworld is the laughing stock of the hoops world. And ol' Billy is the head clown.

He's a Rocket fan who is banned on Rocket forums because of all the BS he makes up. Why anyone would venture to that site is beyond me.

T Park
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
He's the one who said he's looking to move into the big time. No one gets more views than HOOPSWORLD that doesn't have NBA.COM or ESPN in their name.

The National Enquierer gets more viewership than USA TOday.

That doesn't make it better spanky.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Sportsline, Yahoo Sports, CNNSI, Fox Sports and just about every other national sports site does.

But anyway, HoopsWorld has a very poor reputation here of not fact checking, printing unconfirmed rumors as fact, and poor writing quality (with a lot of typos).

So this is probably not the best place to get feedback.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
lmao @ HoopsWorld printing as fact that the Spurs signed Karl Malone. Only to delete the article and pretend that never happened.

What happened on that one, Mr. HoopsWorld?

1Parker1
By the way, isn't Gregg Moore a poster on Spurstalk?

Kori Ellis
By the way, isn't Gregg Moore a poster on Spurstalk?

Yes.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Greg Moore can only help that website.

I approve.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Greg Moore can only help that website.

I approve.

If HoopsWorld was able to land the services of Greg Moore, that'd be their first respectable writer.

samikeyp
01-06-2007, 03:38 PM
If HoopsWorld was able to land the services of Greg Moore, that'd be their first respectable writer.

Ouch! :lmao

samikeyp
01-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Tell Greg that while writing for them...don't get married and put your family first. The "rocket guy" doesn't like that.

Bruno
01-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Haven't they written an article two summer ago where they said that Finley had chosen Miami ?

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Haven't they written an article two summer ago where they said that Finley had chosen Miami ?

Most likely.

If you read a laughable NBA rumor or a rumor that turns out to be totally wrong, you only need one chance to guess the source.

Bill Ingram
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM

He used good stats to incorporate stuff, but I'd like to see a little less fluff in the begining.

Ahhh. Usable feedback. Thanks!

As for the vocal minority - read us or don't. We're the best in many areas. I'm proud to be considered the head of the group.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:48 PM

As for the vocal minority - read us or don't. We're the best in many areas. I'm proud to be considered the head of the group.

Can you link to a supposed "rumor" or a "scoop" that has ever turned out to be right in the history of the website?

Thanks.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2007, 03:50 PM

Seriously, as a fellow writer, my best advice to Hoopsworld is to get an editor/proofreader. I don't really care as much that you print unfounded rumors - it's tabloidesque but hey, it gets page views.

By why many, many people get turned off after awhile is the large amount of typos and spelling errors. You have an enormous amount of errors just in the spelling of NBA players' names. Just have your writers input the players names into the spell check in their word processor as a start. Then get a proofreader/editor to go over all your submissions.

You just posted this link to Greg's article and it has glaring errors that you can see from a mile away. In your magazine, you have errors in the first few paragraphs of almost every article.

I don't know if you realize, but I used to write for HoopsWorld for a few years (around 1999). It's cool that you have grown so much, but you really need to care more about the presentation of your work. It's shoddy not to proofread.

timvp
01-06-2007, 03:59 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24239

Good memory :lol

Bruno
01-06-2007, 04:02 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24239

Good memory :lol

This one is better :

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44078

The Spurs don’t pick until 59 – and that player won’t make the team. Luis Flores is said to be ready to join the Spurs, and this young man should be an impact player for the Spurs next season.

boutons_
01-06-2007, 04:26 PM
"an editor/proofreader"

MS Word with/out some grammar/spelling plugins would be enough.