PDA

View Full Version : Elson's absence

peskypesky
01-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Anyone else thinking that it might not be a coincidence that the Spurs have dropped 3 straight while Elson was out?

I'm not saying that Elson is a franchise player, or the "key" to our sucess, but correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the reason we dropped Rasho and Nazr to make space for Elson (or someone like him)? Didn't we see Elson as a defender against players like Dirk? We needed a more athletic center, so we got Elson.

And even though he'd been splitting minutes with Oberto, maybe we woulda won some of these close recent games if Elson had been in there for 20 or 25 minutes.

I mean, we did have the best record in the league just a little over a week ago, before Elson got hurt.

If I'm right, then we might not be as bad off as we're thinking. We're just missing that little something extra that'll get us over the hump when we play elite teams.

Just one offensive rebound can mean the difference in a tight game, right?

timvp
01-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Hopefully Elson's return will help. In Bowen's first year, the Spurs were a .500 team when he got hurt. When he came back, that's when the Spurs made their run.

Hopefully Elson's return can trigger the same type of run, but I'm not holding my breath. A bigger key to me would be Steve Smithing Michael Finley.

bigfundamental21
01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
It definitely doesn't help us to play with out one of our starters (Cisco), but that can't be an excuse. We have the personnel to play with any team. It just seems that the right combinations are not being used. I think we still have it in us to be the Spurs team that we have seen win 3 championships. As we all know, the Spurs are a stronger second half of the season team than a first half team. How the team responds to this losing streak and to the return of Cisco will show us if this team has the same drive as those championship teams. It is still early enough in the season to right the ship, but something has to happen soon.

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 01:03 AM
we need Elson, seriously

VaSpursFan
01-07-2007, 01:25 AM
elson is valuable and he played solid d on irk in the first game. i like his ability to run the floor and tire out opposing big men. if we can happen to get c. magg, coupled with elson's return, i may get the warm and fuzzies about a championship again.

mavsfan1000
01-07-2007, 01:42 AM
_irk had a field day on _uncan last game. lol Elson was definitely needed for the spurs to beat the mavs.

Duncanoypi
01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
_irk had a field day on _uncan last game. lol Elson was definitely needed for the spurs to beat the mavs.

yeah...and they're still the _allas Mave_icks

(no r, means no ring)

The_Game
01-07-2007, 07:46 AM
yeah...and they're still the _allas Mave_icks

(no r, means no ring)

not after this season.......

SenorSpur
01-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Anyone else thinking that it might not be a coincidence that the Spurs have dropped 3 straight while Elson was out?

I'm not saying that Elson is a franchise player, or the "key" to our sucess, but correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the reason we dropped Rasho and Nazr to make space for Elson (or someone like him)? Didn't we see Elson as a defender against players like Dirk? We needed a more athletic center, so we got Elson.

And even though he'd been splitting minutes with Oberto, maybe we woulda won some of these close recent games if Elson had been in there for 20 or 25 minutes.

I mean, we did have the best record in the league just a little over a week ago, before Elson got hurt.

If I'm right, then we might not be as bad off as we're thinking. We're just missing that little something extra that'll get us over the hump when we play elite teams.

Just one offensive rebound can mean the difference in a tight game, right?

I think you're on point with this. In fact, I've thought the same thing. It would have been very interesting to see Elson matchup again with Dirk. His absence left Bruce switching back and forth from Dirk to Josh.

There just aren't enough good individual defenders on the team that can do what Bruce does. Yes, Elson is definitely missed.

jack0fspeed
01-07-2007, 11:50 AM
You guys are funny.

The Mavs sucked in their first four games. Take everything you saw there and throw it out.

Elson isn't going to guard Dirk. No one in the NBA with the possible exception of Rasheed Wallace can do that. Elson can bother his jumpshot more than some, but Dirk has so many shot fakes and moves that it's basically impossible to guard it and not give him an easy drive to the rim. If you try to help at the rim with Duncan, our centers can make you pay. Basically, there's not a big difference between Horry and Elson.

This kind of reminds me of the talk that Dirk is going to guard Duncan now that he seemed to do it successfully in the 4th quarter on friday. Anyone with half a brain knows that we're not going to make a living doing that.

peskypesky
01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
You guys are funny.

The Mavs sucked in their first four games. Take everything you saw there and throw it out.

Elson isn't going to guard Dirk. No one in the NBA with the possible exception of Rasheed Wallace can do that.

My point, if you read my post and think about it, was not that Elson is going to make a HUGE difference. In a 3-point game (or the last three games of last year's series), all we needed was a little something extra, and I think Elson might provide that. The Spurs and Mavs are so evenly matched that the games often come down to that one offensive rebound, or that one missed shot because of a hand in the face.

The reason I wrote the post was because we Spurs fans have been FREAKING OUT. These recent losses have us running for the cliffs to jump like lemmings. And yeah, the sky has looked like it's falling. But then, upon reflecting on the game (which I didn't get a chance to see), and reading about it and looking at the box scores, I thought, "hey, Elson wasn't there. and we got him specifically to help against teams like the Mavs and the Suns. so maybe his return will help right the ship."

so, i don't think it's off base to wonder how the game would've been different with Elson there.

SenorSpur
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
so, i don't think it's off base to wonder how the game would've been different there.

We'll find out in April.

rasho8
01-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Maybe if we had an extra 30 million to spend on our payroll we could afford alot more key players... but we dont all have Cubans funny money to throw around.

jack0fspeed
01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
so, i don't think it's off base to wonder how the game would've been different with Elson there.

Two years ago, when Ryan Bowen from Houston guarded Dirk in the playoffs. Dirk really took it personally that a scrub like "the Germanator" could actually be somewhat effective against him. That's when Dirk became hell bent on being unguardable. He added an aggressive drive to the hoop. This year, he's really become a much better passer. I think you have to play team defense against him now, and it really doesn't make too much of a difference who the main defender is.

The key to stopping the Mavs is stopping Josh Howard. Dirk is going to get his points no matter what you do. Josh Howard can still be stopped by a Bruce Bowen. Apparently last friday, Bowen got tired and couldn't get through the screens that the Mavs were setting in the second half. If there was a second defender that could stay with Josh Howard, that's the thing that could make a difference.

timvp
01-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Two years ago, when Ryan Bowen from Houston guarded Dirk in the playoffs. Dirk really took it personally that a scrub like "the Germanator" could actually be somewhat effective against him.

Dirk is going to get his points no matter what you do.

Did Mav Fan stop watching the Finals after game two?

If so, I have some bad news . . .

:smokin

jack0fspeed
01-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Did Mav Fan stop watching the Finals after game two?

2006 NBA Finals
Dirk Nowitzki stats

Game 3
30 pts 7 rebs on 9-20 shooting

Game 4
16 pts 9 rebs on 2-14 shooting

Game 5
20 pts 8 rebs on 8-19 shooting

Game 6
29 pts 15 rebs on 10-22 shooting

Kori Ellis
01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
2006 NBA Finals
Dirk Nowitzki stats

Game 3
30 pts 7 rebs on 9-20 shooting

Game 4
16 pts 9 rebs on 2-14 shooting

Game 5
20 pts 8 rebs on 8-19 shooting

Game 6
29 pts 15 rebs on 10-22 shooting

38.6% shooting

ChumpDumper
01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
It was the refs!

jack0fspeed
01-07-2007, 07:52 PM
38.6% shooting

One bad game. Throw out game 4 and it was 45% shooting

Dirk was not the reason the Mavs lost.

timvp
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Dirk choked and the rest of the team went down with him.

Bob Lanier
01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
It was the refs
:tu

And no, Francisco Elson can't guard Dirk Nowitzki any more than Oberto can.

jack0fspeed
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Anyway, at least Haslem is a basketball player. He averages 10 and 10. What does Elson do for you again? 5 and 5? Please. Someone's kidding themselves here.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Elson isn't going to be much of a factor against Dirk other than being another body to use on him with some length.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Someone's kidding themselves here.Yeah -- you, if you ever think Stern will let you win.