PDA

View Full Version : Taking someone to small claims court

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 12:56 AM
hey guys, im thinkin about taking my ex-roomate to small claims court because the motherfucker owes me money for two-months worth of gym membership, and a month for June's Time Warner bill. It comes out to a grand total of $148 (yes i know, pitiful), but i want my money because i have to eat too. I even went as far as calling his momma and told her of the situation and she told me she'll pay me what he owes me, but a month goes by, I call her back, and no answer. I tried a few more times, and no answer. Now im pissed and i aint fuckin around anymore, its been over a year he owes me this money. I know this sounds "troll-esque," but Ive been thinkin about this for awhile, and i have never done this before. Do i need a lawyer? is it even worth taking him to court for $148? is it a big hassle? help! thanks.

and yes, Ive learned a valuable lesson over this.

scott
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
You'd pay more for a lawyer than he owes you. My advice: let it go.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2007, 12:59 AM
You don't need a lawyer for small claims court. But I don't know the cost of filing a small claims case - that, plus your time probably isn't worth $148.

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
You'd pay more for a lawyer than he owes you. My advice: let it go.
i know, its hard to let it go because im so pissed. he even owes his ex-girlfriend money because she made the mistake of letting him use a cellphone under her name and he never paid the bills.

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 01:03 AM
You don't need a lawyer for small claims court. But I don't know the cost of filing a small claims case - that, plus your time probably isn't worth $148.
yeah i was kinda thinkin the same thing, it just pisses me off because of the fact that i trusted him once and he screws me over like this.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2007, 01:15 AM
yeah i was kinda thinkin the same thing, it just pisses me off because of the fact that i trusted him once and he screws me over like this.

Well if it's more out of principal than the money, then you have to figure out if just the principal of making him pay is worth it to you.

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Well if it's more out of principal than the money, then you have to figure out if just the principal of making him pay is worth it to you.
yeah i see. Ive been harassing him about my money and it pisses me off that now his mom is ignoring my calls. I think it would be cheaper for me to harass him because i just cant let him get a free ride like this. But thanks for the advice

Bob Lanier
01-07-2007, 01:25 AM
http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/ahd/jpg/A4crowba.jpg

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/ahd/jpg/A4crowba.jpg
shit, thats what im talkin about

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Having very good experience with this, listen up.

1. I believe the filing fee in the state (though it may vary by county) is about $62.

2. That cost can be added to the judgment should you win the case.

3. No lawyer necessary and it would cost more money to do so.

4. Have copies of anything that may detail the charges including receipts for purchases made, etc.

5. BIGGEST PIECE OF INFO: You are in charge of collecting the damages awarded if you win the case. The court will not get the monies for you. It is the plaintiff's responsibility to claim the funds. I know this because (for those familiar with my case) the plaintiff in my case has never sought the funds he was awarded in my case.

Brutalis
01-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Dude, don't take the guy to court. Find him, stalk him, destroy him, then approach him like nothing happend. See what he does.

fatsack
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
just find out where he is and smash his windshield in.

he'll pay more than $148 for a new windshield.

Fillmoe
01-07-2007, 03:58 AM
mouses lawyer is available from what i hear.......

fatsack
01-07-2007, 04:37 AM
sorry, I just keep thinking about jimcs50 in this thread.

mavsfan1000
01-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Some criminal activity would be stupid. Just get over it and cut your losses. It's best to not take this any further.

T-Pain
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
just find out where he is and smash his windshield in.

he'll pay more than $148 for a new windshield.
lol! i might just do that...

i dont think im gonna take him to court because i think its gonna be such a hassle, but i dont know

Zombie
01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah keep to court system tied up with petty crap like this.
Dude, I have $5 i'll give ya, maybe someone else will chip in.

RashoFan
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
sorry, I just keep thinking about jimcs50 in this thread.
:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM
yeah you still owe me that $20

Well, since you refuse to deal with me in getting that money, take me to small claims court, fucker.

Nbadan
01-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Even if you win you'll still never collect. Write it off as a lesson learned.