PDA

View Full Version : spurs need bench help, and that's all

phxspurfan
01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
After watching the mavs game again on dvd, I'm pretty sure the Spurs can compete with the Mavs in a playoff series with their current roster. Bowen and Ginobili are good defenders and I'm not sure what we could get without blowing up our roster and chemistry in the middle of the year. Dirk is almost unguardable and in his prime. I'm thinking a realistic goal is to improve our bench scoring through a signing, trade of non-core players or to develop a prospect we already have for some instant offense.

This is old news -- what I'm really saying with this thread is that we don't need Maggette, and if we don't get him it's not the end of our run. If we do get him we can move Gino to the bench as we have before, but I think that concept can be scrapped and we wont lose anything.

We got fantastic effort out of our guys last Friday and if we can get them to play at that (first half) level more consistently, and play consistently better D, we will be up for the rematch. I'm confident Barry will get his shooting groove back and Finley/Horry will get better with the old ball back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
So which starter is it that's doing a great job on Dirk?

Cry Havoc
01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Personally I liked it when Oberto guarded him. I think he's quick enough to stay in front of him most of the time and still not give up a straight up jumper. Dirk was just on fire that game. If he shoots like that with a fadeaway, there is just no hope in guarding him.

I think we should almost start playing him the way that we played the Suns with Amare. Let Dirk get his, never help on defense, and just guard every other player on their team the whole game. It's when we double or start helping on defense that their offense opens up. If Dirk scores 40 but we shut down the other players, I'm happy with that.

One other thing -- 100% of the time when we get the mismatch of Dirk guarding Duncan, GIVE TIM THE BALL. It cannot be as difficult as our players are making it out to be. The Mavs are scared to death of Tim -- they were doubling him all the time. When the playoffs roll around, that should be our scheme. Give Tim the ball, wait for the double, pass around for open shot. Or if they don't double, let Tim go at the defender. And if they aren't doubling, why not run a pick and roll with Duncan? He's got great hands, and I'm sure Parker or Gino could feed him in the post for an easy 2. Just some thoughts.

midgetonadonkey
01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Fantastic thread. Thank you for starting it.

Marcus Bryant
01-07-2007, 11:03 PM
The Spurs need better rebounding, better perimeter defense and one more perimeter scoring threat.

P-O-Z
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
u guys want atoine walker lol

BERSERK
01-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Uh no, Antoine Walker cannot contribute anything in the Spurs system. :ihit

bdictjames
01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
If the starters manage to shoot well, then there's no doubt the championship is ours. The reason for that slump was that our offense wasn't getting it done but our defense was incredible. Bowen just had 4-of-7 shooting last night and we won, although it is against Memphis.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
u guys want atoine walker lol

Oddly enough, when talking about Maggette and Peterson, I couldn't help but think of Posey as an option for short-term help on D and a three-point threat.

What's that kid's availability?

mountainballer
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Oddly enough, when talking about Maggette and Peterson, I couldn't help but think of Posey as an option for short-term help on D and a three-point threat.

What's that kid's availability?

I also thought that Posey could help us big time. but who do we give. Beno + Williams contract won't do it.
and I don't think the (already very old) heat want to get even older with Barry.
maybe they would like a package with Butler since their center position is always a (health) question mark with Shaq and Zo?
Beno+Butler+salary filler (Williams again) for Posey + Barron or Simien?

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I also thought that Posey could help us big time. but who do we give. Beno + Williams contract won't do it.
and I don't think the (already very old) heat want to get even older with Barry.
maybe they would like a package with Butler since their center position is always a (health) question mark with Shaq and Zo?
Beno+Butler+salary filler (Williams again) for Posey + Barron or Simien?

Started a dedicated thread on the Posey topic. I like your last trade possibility with Barron. Simien is more proven, but the Spurs have oodles of Power Forwards here and overseas. To me, Barron and Butler are very similar in production and potential.

mabber
01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
If the starters manage to shoot well, then there's no doubt the championship is ours. The reason for that slump was that our offense wasn't getting it done but our defense was incredible. Bowen just had 4-of-7 shooting last night and we won, although it is against Memphis.

That's it...that's all that has to happen for the Spurs to win the title this year? :rolleyes