PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Was Shook Last Night

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Fat, lazy, injury-prone Danny Fortson took it to Tim Duncan last night and Duncan backed down.

We all like to think that psych-major Tim Vulcan is above the mind games that rivals like Kevin Garnett try to play, but clearly Duncan cowered last night.

And it wasn't just Forston's shoving ans smack talking.

It was the fact that when Dunc agets bullied around by a more aggressive defender and the refs don't bail him out, Duncan gets that mopey look on his face.

You can't be a defeatist.

You gotta play through that crap.

I think Duncan missed alot of those bank shots, because he was preoccupied with Fortson's physical play.

Avery Johnson used to be good at snapping David Robinson out of those doldrums. I guess Tony Parker forgot to lead last night.

But ultimately, it's Duncan's responsibility to meet aggression with aggression.

If an inferior player in f'ing with you, you gotta battle back.

Don't back down.

travis2
11-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I can't say whether Duncan was pre-occupied with Fortson or not...but his body language all night long was screaming "I don't want to be here tonight"....

E20
11-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Duncan left his game in LA. He will be his normal self during Wensday's game, but what about that Ginobili everybody? Averaging 21 PPG whoa.

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
I just hate it how Duncan allows adversity to sometimes get the best of him.

You have to rise up in spots like that.

And don't act like you don't know what I am talking about.

Duncan's body language said it all.

samikeyp
11-08-2004, 03:11 PM
I agree with you to a point, GW. He was clearly frustrated with his game and with the physical play that was going on. To imply he was scared I think is incorrect but you did nail it on what he has to do. There are going to be nights like that, you have to suck it up and play through it. You have to play your game and not worry about anything else, when Tim does that, he is the best on the planet, IMO.

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Right.

During our championship run the year before last, Duncan took the game to Shaq in what was probably his finest display of focused aggression ever.

It's easy to get discouraged when a defender if messing with you, the refs have swallowed their whistels and your routine shots aren't falling.

The real measure of a star is succeeding in spite of that.

slayermin
11-08-2004, 04:00 PM
It's a long plane ride from LA to Seattle, even with the off-day.

I think the Spurs took the Sonics lightly and the Sonics played like it was the first game of a playoff series. I am not going to look too deep into the loss. If they come out like that on Wednesday, then I will be worried.

timvp
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Duncan looked off since the beginning of the game. He looked out of it since the tip. I'm guessing he was either sick or somenoe threw a huge Welcome Back party for Brent Barry and TD had too many of the special brownies.

samikeyp
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
In the birthplace of Starbucks....you'd think he could have found something to pick him up!

slayermin
11-08-2004, 04:57 PM
In the birthplace of Starbucks....you'd think he could have found something to pick him up!

:lol

At those outrageous prices? Who do you think Tim is? Paul Allen?

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
After the way last season ended and with the new opportunity afforded by the Lakers break-up, the Spurs should seize every opportunity to take it to the next level every game.

Solid D
11-08-2004, 05:05 PM
1/82nd

Spurs WERE soft, though and not just Timmy. Tony Parker at least had enough guts to take it to the cup time after time after time, since Seattle decided to defend the perimeter.

You could tell it was going to be one of those games when Reggie Evans banked in that 16 footer and Nick Collison threw up that off-balance "whatever" from the side that looked like a whiffleball in the air.

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
How many times did Radmonivic glide to the hoop?

If Duncan was frustrated with his offense, he could've changed the game with a block or at least a message-sending hard foul.

It's difficult to root for pvssies.

Solid D
11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
1/82nd...now fall back into your pattern and return to mothballs until the Spurs' next loss.

timvp
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
How many times did Radmonivic glide to the hoop?

If Duncan was frustrated with his offense, he could've changed the game with a block or at least a message-sending hard foul.

It's difficult to root for pvssies.

This was the first bad game for Duncan this whole season ... preseason included.

He'll be okay.

Ghost Writer
11-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Solid D, how about you choke on some mothballs, front runner?

I think it is hilarious how you guys love to congratulate and bask in victories, yet cower and/or dismiss disappointing losses.

It's okay to criticize Duncan, people.

Sh1t, I have his silver jersey. I'm a Duncan fan, but he is not infallible.

He needs to bring it this year. There was a time when the Spurs and Duncan were 1A to the Lakers 1.

Now is the time.

Solid D
11-08-2004, 05:40 PM
The Spurs were soft and embarrassed themselves. They'll move on and get some work done. That's what I did today.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
i think that duncan has played more basketball in the last year than we have ever played in our lifetimes and a emotionally draining game against the lakers took a bit ouy of him for last night. Thats all he can cruise a bit this regular season, if he needs to rest a little, then who the hell cares?