PDA

View Full Version : Bowman starts practice

MajorMike
01-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Bowman starts practice
By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
1/8/2007

Sutton welcomes the football star to the basketball court.

Oklahoma State basketball coach Sean Sutton confirmed Sunday that football player Adarius Bowman is the newest member of the Cowboy basketball team.

"Adarius and I had a great conversation today and I'm excited to announce that he's going to join the basketball team and begin practicing with us (Monday)," the coach said in a press release.

"I've been really impressed while visiting with him at how sharp he is. And, he's got a great personality."

OSU needs bodies because defections and dismissals shortened the roster to eight healthy nonredshirting players.

Bowman (6-foot-4, 240 pounds) was a first-team All-Big 12 receiver in his inaugural football season at OSU. The North Carolina transfer produced 1,181 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Bowman was a standout basketball player in high school. He was a finalist for the Mr. Basketball Award for Division II players in his home state of Tennessee.

"Playing basketball was something I did growing up," Bowman said in a press release. "It's something I love to do. My mom wants to see me do it. This will be a great experience for me."

Bowman indicated he is looking forward to the challenge of playing basketball.

"I'm a very competitive person and just want to win," he said. "I'm not trying to be the leading scorer or anything like that. I've got good jumping ability, so if they want me to rebound, or play defense, or whatever they want me to do, I'll do it."

If Bowman got hurt playing basketball, it could jeopardize his football future. But Sutton, who visited with OSU football coach Mike Gundy, said Gundy is supportive of Bowman's decision.

Sutton said he appreciates Gundy allowing Bowman to play basketball.

"Adarius is obviously an outstanding athlete and will definitely help us with our depth situation, Sutton said. "We're looking forward to him joining the team."

SrA Husker
01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
There's been talk a member or two of Nebraska's football team have wanted to make the transition to the basketball court, but rumor is Callahan said "no" - can't risk the injuries, no matter how bad the Basketball team needs depth.