PDA

View Full Version : James Posey?

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I figure as long as we're expanding the possibilities, this might as well be one.

James Posey #42 | Guard-Forward | Miami Heat

Height: 6-8 Weight: 217
Born: Jan 13, 1977 - Cleveland, Ohio
College: Xavier
Draft: 1999 - 1st round (18th pick) by the Denver Nuggets

Known primarily for his work as a defender, Posey is only a consistent offensive threat shooting three pointers off of spot up looks. Tough and physical, he provides an effective change of pace to Antoine Walker.....

So basically he's a younger, defensive-minded version of Brent Barry, with an expiring contract. Is it feasible to get him and what would it cost the Spurs?

Bob Lanier
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
He'd be the dream long 3 for the Spurs. What do you have that Miami wants, though? Maybe E-Will, Barry, and Horry for Posey and Walker?

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
He'd be the dream long 3 for the Spurs. What do you have that Miami wants, though?

I kind of mentioned Posey as an aside in the Maggette thread and Mountain Baller had a good thought.

They probably wouldn't want Barry, so it would be Williams' expiring contract, and they are thin b/c of injury at the PG spot, so Beno. They also need a young center to succeed an aging and ailing Shaq, so Butler.

Maybe like this:

Heat get Williams, Beno, Butler.

Spurs get Posey and Barron.

mabber
01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I figure as long as we're expanding the possibilities, this might as well be one.

Known primarily for his work as a defender, Posey is only a consistent offensive threat shooting three pointers off of spot up looks. Tough and physical, he provides an effective change of pace to Antoine Walker.....

So basically he's a younger, defensive-minded version of Brent Barry, with an expiring contract. Is it feasible to get him and what would it cost the Spurs?

His 8% body fat is to high :lol Pat Riley is such a tool sometimes.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
His 8% body fat is to high :lol Pat Riley is such a tool sometimes.

I love his little "oh by the way, they're in the best shape of their lives". What the hell!?!?! :lol

Mr. Body
01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Riley... amazing. Deactivating your players and simultaneously trying to talk them up for a trade? Crazy.

davi78239
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
As good as all these sound, you know damn well the spurs ain't gonna do shit when the time comes around. All the trades that they've ever made, except for maybe a few (and I mean a few) good ones have been like mediocre. I'd be damned if they were to land Maggette or someone else of that calibor. It seems as if the Spurs never have anyone who anyone else would want at the time. But hey look on the bright side, we have 3 championships and a lot of these times pulling these so called "blockbusters" don't have any.

K-State Spur
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
He'd be the dream long 3 for the Spurs. What do you have that Miami wants, though? Maybe E-Will, Barry, and Horry for Posey and Walker?

I'd rather have a rash on my taint than Walker anywhere near the Spurs' roster.

mabber
01-08-2007, 03:05 PM

I dunno, taint rashes kinda suck. Oh wait, so does Walker. :lol

ehz33satx
01-08-2007, 03:05 PM

I concur.

GrandeDavid
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Hey, I'm a Cincinnati alum and was upset at how Huggins was ousted at UC. I'm pulling for him and K-State to really do well. He'll need a couple of years to recruit and get you guys on the map, but he'll get it done eventually.

TxJudsonRocketTx
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
So let me get this straight, James Posey with 8% body fat gets deactivated, meanwhile Shaq has to play his fat injury prone ass into shape every year

smdanss
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Posey will be good, but no Walker.

Bob Lanier
01-08-2007, 03:23 PM
The problem is that you have virtually nothing Riles could possibly want. He has players on his team who are better than Beno, Barry, Finley, Oberto, Butler, and so forth. If he can't get anything positive from you in exchange for Posey, he can get you to accept one of his negatives as well as Posey. That is, if Pop, Buford, and Holt are willing to spend money on that kind of garbage in exchange for a ring.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
The problem is that you have virtually nothing Riles could possibly want. He has players on his team who are better than Beno, Barry, Finley, Oberto, Butler, and so forth. If he can't get anything positive from you in exchange for Posey, he can get you to accept one of his negatives as well as Posey. That is, if Pop, Buford, and Holt are willing to spend money on that kind of garbage in exchange for a ring.

Wright is the only guy on the team with more upside than Butler, if he were shipped there. And a confident Beno is better than Hite and whatever other SG they have masquerading as a point. I know confidence is key, but that's one thing Riley is good at...making players more confident.

Bob Lanier
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
So why isn't Butler starting over bums like Oberto and Elson, considering that he plays for a coach who's considerably more tolerant of young players than Riley's ever been?

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
So why isn't Butler starting over bums like Oberto and Elson, considering that he plays for a coach who's considerably more tolerant of young players than Riley's ever been?

Pop.

They want to develop Butler's defense, post skills and most importantly, his conditioning. Before, he just used his considerable weight to throw around, but it slowed him on transition D.

When the Spurs got Elson, and signed Butler to the longer-term contract, it was pretty much with the understanding that Elson would be the short-term solution and would give time for Jackie to develop.

On most other teams this kid is a starting center or key reserve...a fat one, but that talented nonetheless.

SenorSpur
01-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Judging from the way Posey guarded Dirk in the NBA Finals, I'd take him and his 8% body fat.

Texas_Ranger
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM

I would not like to see Walker in the Spurs team but Posey would be good, specially if we don't get Maggette. Barry and Williams for Posey and Wayne Simien. :fro

mabber
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Judging from the way Posey guarded Dirk in the NBA Finals, I'd take him and his 8% body fat.

Yeah, Posey and Haslem did a good job on Dirk in the finals. Dirk learned how to deal with those type guys this offseason though. He's just about unguardable (by 1 guy) now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2007, 07:27 PM

I second that.

Ask spurschick how much shit I was giving him during that pre-season game.

exstatic
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Posey is Bowen, redux, PLUS some rebounding.

Lanier, if he's SO in Riles doghouse, they may take some fittable scraps like Beno and ending contracts. If this happens, we need to send a thank you card to Riles for filling our three spot for a decade by alienating and/or poor mouthing good defender/shooters.

Axl Van Dam
01-08-2007, 07:33 PM
:nope Posey's a headcase :nope

exstatic
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
:nope Posey's a headcase :nope
And Maggette isn't? At least Posey is a headcase who plays lockdown defense AND hits 3 pointers, two traits that Mssr. Maggette hasn't a clue about...

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Miami and San Antonio will not make any trades with each other. It would be absolutely stupid. These are 2 teams that could very well end up in Finals vs each other, neither is going to try to make the other a better team.

Axl Van Dam
01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
And Maggette isn't? At least Posey is a headcase who plays lockdown defense AND hits 3 pointers, two traits that Mssr. Maggette hasn't a clue about...

:reading I ain't sayin' Maggette's not a headcase. :wakeup

exstatic
01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Miami isn't going to the Finals. Riles already fucking quit on the team. Shit, even in the East, they're probably going to have to win their Division to make the playoffs.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Miami can make it to the Finals easy. The east is weak as hell, and if they make the playoffs any team with a healthy Shaq and Dwayne Wade will have as good a chance as anyone else even without home court advantage.

There will be no deal between the 2 teams. Its a pipe dream

Mr. Body
01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Miami isn't going to the Finals. Riles already fucking quit on the team. Shit, even in the East, they're probably going to have to win their Division to make the playoffs.

Which makes it suck even more that Alonzo Mourning said no. Would you trade Jackie Butler and Francisco Elson for him? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

exstatic
01-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Detroit, Chicago or Cleveland could take them out. If they have to play two of them as a bottom half team, it's a done deal. There may or may not be a deal, but Miami is NOT going to the Finals.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Ex, just realize that everyone said the same things around this time last year.

exstatic
01-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Ex, just realize that everyone said the same things around this time last year.
You can only dodge the bullet so many times, and had Riley quit on the team last year before MLK day? Miami is the most disrespected NBA Champs since the 99 Spurs, and they deserve it.

Mr. Body
01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Miami is the most disrespected NBA Champs since the 99 Spurs, and they deserve it.

Those happen to be the two least impressive champions since the '94 Rockets.

dg7md
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Spurs are in desperation mode, I don't care if they bring "a headcase", it'll help them win games and increase their strengths. We blew against good teams this year and we need a shake-up.

RC's Boss
01-08-2007, 09:21 PM
This is not desperation mode people get a grip

K-State Spur
01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey, I'm a Cincinnati alum and was upset at how Huggins was ousted at UC. I'm pulling for him and K-State to really do well. He'll need a couple of years to recruit and get you guys on the map, but he'll get it done eventually.

We're happy with him. Tournament hopes just took a big hit as Bill Walker went down for the season Saturday night. But the program is definitely going in the right direction.

A lot of people don't realize that before the 1988 NCAA tournament, minus any national titles, K-State's bball program had an equatable history to KU's.

But KU won the title in 1988 (one that put them on probation), K-State let Lon Kruger go to Florida, then hired Bill Snyder and diverted all funds to football in 1989, and the programs had been in two separate directions ever since.