PDA

View Full Version : What if....

MoSpur
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
the trade for Bonner, Udrih, and a pick for Maggette goes down? What will the Spurs do to fill that backup four position? There is a rumor as a lot of us know that Webber might be bought out. Would the Spurs be interested in picking him up like they did with G Robinson? I know it sounds crazy, but just wondering what Spurs fans here thought of that.

Big P
01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Bonner & Udrih combined make no where near what Maggette makes, so that trade is not possible. As far as Webber goes, I dont think it would be a bad idea to pick him up for the minimum..of course someone would have to be cut & it would probably be James White, unless a 2 for 1 trade went down & we have an open roster spot.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Bonner & Udrih combined make no where near what Maggette makes, so that trade is not possible. As far as Webber goes, I dont think it would be a bad idea to pick him up for the minimum..of course someone would have to be cut & it would probably be James White, unless a 2 for 1 trade went down & we have an open roster spot.

To get the "impact" player the Spurs want, it will most likely be a 2 for 1 swap, but picking up Webber might be hasty. Introducing a guy with that much noteriety into a situation with little playing time and an established chemistry might not be best.

MoSpur
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I know there are mentions somewhere that the Clippers might be interested in Bonner, so that's why I threw that out there.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
We would still have Horry, Obert, and Elson to play alongside Duncan. I really doubt a replacement 4 would be high on the Spurs list after any trade involving Bonner.

MoSpur
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
We would still have Horry, Obert, and Elson to play alongside Duncan. I really doubt a replacement 4 would be high on the Spurs list after any trade involving Bonner.

Good point, but Elson and Oberto are our centers. Bonner and Horry are the players the Spurs use to come in for Duncan. Horry, however, does play center at times. Butler is another center the Spurs have though.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 04:26 PM
The 4/5 are interchangeable, so it doesn't really matter who plays the 4 or the 5.

MoSpur
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
True. Especially with the new style of play the NBA is more geared to now. Call me crazy, but I think getting C-Webb on the cheap would be good for the Spurs rebounding problems. I know his knee trouble has slowed him down, but in 18 games this season, he has averaged 8 rebounds a game and last season was just under 10 rebounds a game. He only missed 7 games last season.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Good point, but Elson and Oberto are our centers. Bonner and Horry are the players the Spurs use to come in for Duncan. Horry, however, does play center at times. Butler is another center the Spurs have though.

I think Butler won't be an option even if the Spurs trade Bonner away. It seems Pop is pretty intent on giving this guy NO opportunity to earn regular minutes this year. I think if Bonner goes, the Spurs will make a move with the Williams contract to fill the void. The same goes for Williams if Beno is included in a deal.

Sam
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I think they want rid of Williams and another but the Clips don't want to take it. Pop is against getting rid of Bonner for a hot head head case like Maggette.

MoSpur
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I think they want rid of Williams and another but the Clips don't want to take it. Pop is against getting rid of Bonner for a hot head head case like Maggette.

I think the opposite. I think the Clippers want Eric Williams because of his contract expiring after this year. I think the Spurs want to hold onto Williams' contract because it expires.

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 06:29 PM

I doubt you're in Pop's head, ear, or anywhere near his body. Plus you have no verifiable sources that Pop is against trading Bonner, so I wouldn't make that assumption. Also, the notion that Maggette is a hot-head is very overplayed and exaggerated. He's not happy, so what? Would you be happy if you were a starting calibur player, not starting on a very bad, losing team?

AFBlue
01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I think the opposite. I think the Clippers want Eric Williams because of his contract expiring after this year. I think the Spurs want to hold onto Williams' contract because it expires.

One news source in LA quoted the Clippers as wanting a long-range shooter, and not just some expiring contract, but if Maggette's stock continues to plummet and he remains a malcontent, some organization may just get him for that.

Texas_Ranger
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Trade Beno, Bonner and Williams for Maggette, and somehow get C-Webb. Webber is still better than Oberto, Horry and Elson. So he would be a perfect replacement for Timmy.

dropstep4421
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Getting C-webb Wouldn't Be Bad He Plays The High Post Passing Game Well And With Larry Brown Behind The Deals In Philly He's As Good As Gone.

SilverPlayer
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Getting C-webb Wouldn't Be Bad He Plays The High Post Passing Game Well And With Larry Brown Behind The Deals In Philly He's As Good As Gone.

If Larry Brown doesn't want Webber, Pop probably won't either. They are pretty close, and consult each other regularly. Unless Brown is cutting Webber just to free him up for Pop.

Texas_Ranger
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
If Larry Brown doesn't want Webber, Pop probably won't either. They are pretty close, and consult each other regularly. Unless Brown is cutting Webber just to free him up for Pop.

Pop sucks. He would rather have Mutombo in the team, or perhaps K-Will than Webber.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I'd rather have Mutombo. Dude is still one of the most productive rebounders and blockers in the league.

Texas_Ranger
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd rather have Mutombo. Dude is still one of the most productive rebounders and blockers in the league.

That's right but he's ˝much˝ older than C-Webb and Chris is still better in my opinion.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Deke's knees are not a fine powder.

timvp
01-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Watching Mutombo makes me wish that Robinson would have stayed around as a 10 minute role player. Hell, I'd take him right now over Oberto and Elson.

Texas_Ranger
01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
It would be great to see Robinson play. Right now he would be our starting center.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Too bad the good lord told Robinson prior to the 2003 season that he was not allowed to play anymore.

Sam
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Bonner's contract is expiring too.

AFBlue
01-09-2007, 09:40 AM
What about Stevie Francis for the "gunner" role, if his buyout goes through?

MoSpur
01-09-2007, 10:25 AM
C-Webb's rebounding numbers are impresive given he only has one good knee. That's one of two things I am worried about when it comes to the Spurs this season. Tim just isn't getting it done on the boards this season. That may have to do with Elson's and Oberto's play on defense though.

Ocotillo
01-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, CWebb chasing Dirk around....... :(

Mr. Body
01-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Adding a big personality/ego-type like Webber to this team would be a big mess. It was hard enough getting Finley to feel comfortable here.

MoSpur
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Adding a big personality/ego-type like Webber to this team would be a big mess. It was hard enough getting Finley to feel comfortable here.

That's what a lot of people said about G Rob.

regio
01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Webber on one leg is still better than any of our bigs except Duncan

Mr. Body
01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
That's what a lot of people said about G Rob.

I have to say there's a big difference there.

MoSpur
01-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I have to say there's a big difference there.

My point was that people have said that about G-Rob coming here, Artest going to Sac-Town, Van Exel coming here, Iverson, going to Denver and so on. Its a risk like a lot of moves NBA teams make all the time. Sometimes they pan out okay and other times they blow-up. I think if the Spurs can get C-Webb on the cheap, it might be worth the risk. That's all.

dropstep4421
01-09-2007, 06:23 PM
the spurs should go after steve smith out of lasalle college who the sixers released this week..

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 11:46 AM
the spurs should go after steve smith out of lasalle college who the sixers released this week..

I like the fact he is 6'9, but that's about it. There has to be a reason why he never got off the bench while playing for Philly.

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Webber reaches agreement on buyout By PHIL JASNER
[email protected]
Chris Webber apparently has played his last game with the 76ers. A source told the Daily News late last night that Webber and the Sixers had agreed on the terms of a buyout of the remainder of his contract, and that the details could be finalized as soon as today.

The source said that Webber, who will become a free agent, would give back less than $5 million in the deal. In his 14th NBA season, Webber is listed on the team's salary cap at $20,718,750 this season and is due $22,312,500 next season.

The Daily News first reported about the potential buyout on Saturday.

The deal will provide the Sixers with some salary-cap and luxury-tax relief and will clear a roster spot. Coupled with the release of rookie Steven Smith last week, the roster would stand at 13, two below the league limit.

The deal, whenever it is finalized, comes on the heels of the Sixers' blockbuster trade last month that sent Allen Iverson and since-waived rookie Ivan McFarlin to the Denver Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round draft choices.

Webber, a five-time All-Star, was acquired from the Sacramento Kings on Feb. 23, 2005, with Michael Bradley and Matt Barnes in a trade for Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner and Corliss Williamson. He appeared in 18 games this season and has been bothered recently by right ankle and foot problems; he did not appear in 10 of the last 13 games, including last night's 98-89 loss to the Detroit Pistons.

He has averaged 11.0 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 30.2 minutes. He averaged 20.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 38.6 minutes in 75 games last season, his most appearances since 1990-2000, when he also made it into 75 games with the Kings.

Asked earlier in the day about Webber's status, Sixers president/general manager Billy King said he will not comment to the media on players' contractual matters unless there is a change in status.

Webber was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1993 draft, selected by the Orlando Magic and traded to the Golden State Warriors. He spent one season with the Warriors, four with Washington and six-plus with the Kings. He came into this season with career averages of 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists in 761 games.

dbestpro
01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
For those of you who don't remember or were not around, there was a strong interest in going after Cwebb over Robinson in the last big contract signed by Dave. Cwebb wanted to play with Duncan and it all came a lot closer to fruition than most people realize. I imagine that some of those same thoughts still exist for cwebb and Pop.

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
For those of you who don't remember or were not around, there was a strong interest in going after Cwebb over Robinson in the last big contract signed by Dave. Cwebb wanted to play with Duncan and it all came a lot closer to fruition than most people realize. I imagine that some of those same thoughts still exist for cwebb and Pop.

Exactly. I have to admit, I was against it at that time because it was Dave. The Admiral. He was my favorite and still is. C-Webb in my opinion has a high basketball IQ. He is a great passer and a very good rebounder. I think he would fit better with Duncan. I doubt the Spurs make a move though.

dbestpro
01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I like c webb too. Duncan is almost always playing the post in defense and offense even though he says he wants to be a power forward. This has made it difficult for another center to play. David liked playing facing the basket like cwebb does and cwebb can cover Dirk. Dirk is not fast he's just tall.

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I like c webb too. Duncan is almost always playing the post in defense and offense even though he says he wants to be a power forward. This has made it difficult for another center to play. David liked playing facing the basket like cwebb does and cwebb can cover Dirk. Dirk is not fast he's just tall.

I agree with everything you've just said except for the Webber covering Dirk part. I don't think Dirk is very fast, but he is faster than Webb because of the knee. Dirk is so versatile its not fair.

However, a player like C-Webb would bring that high-low game the Spurs use to have when D-Rob was here.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
What if the Spurs sign Webber?