PDA

View Full Version : W Advisor: "Climage Change a Conspiracy to Disrupt US Economy"

Nbadan
11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
You can't make stuff like this up...

An advisor to President George W Bush has reportedly claimed that global warming is a fallacy created to disrupt the American economy, in an interview on Radio 4. Myron Ebell, from the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), claimed that the notion of climate change through man-made emissions was “ridiculous and unrealistic”.

The views of the UK’s chief scientist Sir David King – who stated that global warming posed a bigger threat to the planet than terrorism – were dismissed by Ebell as ‘a ridiculous claim’, and Sir David an ‘alarmist’. The European Commission was also accused by Ebell of targeting the American economy through efforts to develop an international climate change strategy.

Environmentalists responded by calling the CEI spokesperson’s claims “idiocy”.

A statement from the Greenpeace organisation read; “The world's best climate scientists agree the threat is real and growing. It is terrifying that this man is advising the White House on the gravest threat this planet faces. This kind of idiocy would be a mere distraction if it were not for the fact that Bush believes this nonsense. If Tony Blair really regards global warming as a huge threat, like he says he does, he needs to give the President a dose of straight talking the next time they meet.”

Green Consumer Guide (http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/index.php?news=2275)

The majority of voters in Florida, and the majority of voters in the United States, have chosen to embrace ignorance, magical thinking and wilful disregard of what is happening in the world around them.

They chose to disregard 16 years and counting of robust peer-reviewed science and mountains of evidence that things are changing very rapidly in the planet's climate. They chose to look in the other direction as scientific study after scientific study from all over the globe - from Greenland, Ecuador, Antarctica, Europe, Siberia, Nepal, the Southern Ocean, the Arctic Basin, you name it - spelled out a picture of a destabilized natural world

I had hoped that maybe, just mabye, Florida's voters and voters around the country could have taken something out of this year's horrific hurricane season. I'm not saying that these four hurricanes were direct results of climate change. Science doesn't allow us to say that specific point events are directly linked to overall trends. However, the four hurricanes were certainly consistent with projections of what would happen under a more energetic atmospheric regime, and very likely a good look at what the future holds.

But voters in Florida and across America didn't want to hear about it or think about or act on this information. They wanted to stick their fingers in their ears and turn up the CNN/Fox News volume on the teevee a little bit higher and chant " I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" until the nasty thoughts and unpleasant evidence went away.

They (and we, by a narrow majority) chose to endorse a government that systematically ignores reality when suitable to its political ends. They (and we, by a narrow majority) chose to embrace inertia, inaction and impotence in spite of all we know and all we continue to learn.

Fine. So be it. Let faith-based America learn the costs of its faith-based choice.

Yonivore
11-08-2004, 03:58 PM
You can't make stuff like this up...
Yeah you can.

Oh, by the way, what's "climage?"

2pac
11-08-2004, 04:00 PM
1. You are using an article from the esteemed source "Green Consumer Guide.com

2. CEI is not a govt deal, it is a private deal. Therefor, their people are not technically Bush advisors.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Dan, you sure ducked the Massacre thread in a hurry.

Ready to pack your bags for Baghdad?

Nbadan
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
They do advise the President, private or not...

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) calls itself "a non-profit, non-partisan research and advocacy institute dedicated to the principles of free enterprise and limited government." ... It postures as an advocate of "sound science" in the development of public policy. In fact, it is an ideologically-driven, well-funded front for corporations opposed to safety and environmental regulations that affect the way they do business.

CEI belongs to various conservative alliances, including the Alliance for America, Get Government Off Our Backs, Townhall.com, the National Consumer Coalition (a pro-corporate front group headed by Frances B. Smith, the wife of CEI founder Fred Smith), and the Environmental Education Working Group (EEWG), a national umbrella group for organizations working to undermine environmental education in schools. It is linked to the UK-based rightwing thinktank, the International Policy Network, via shared staff and an identical US contact address. It also sponsors several other subsidiary organizations, including:

* The Center for Private Conservation, a green-sounding front group that opposes environmental regulations by claiming that "free market" solutions work better.
* The Cooler Heads Coalition, chaired by former CEI director Marlo Lewis and directed by Myron Ebell, CEI's Director of Global Warming and International Environmental Policy. The Cooler Heads Coalition was formed on May 6, 1997, "to dispel the myths of global warming by exposing flawed economic, scientific and risk analysis." In March 2001, the nonprofit Clean Air Trust named Ebell its "clean air villain of the month," citing his "ferocious lobbying charge to persuade President Bush to reverse his campaign pledge to control electric utility emissions of carbon dioxide."
* Michael Sanera's Center for Environmental Education Research, based in Washington, D.C.

Disinfopedia.org (http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Competitive_Enterprise_Institute)

2pac
11-08-2004, 04:05 PM
It shoes that they are conservative, but not that they advise the president.

Spurminator
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I can't wait to read this week's column from Bush advisor Ann Coulter. Hopefully, she will really stick it to the Democratic advisors at PETA.

Nbadan
Dan, you sure ducked the Massacre thread in a hurry.

Ready to pack your bags for Baghdad?

What else is left to say that would be constuctive in that thread? The U.S. is missing out on a chance to show that it can reform its diplomatic mistakes of the first W adminstration.

Seems this whole temperature change thing has been cyclical for a long time...

Link (http://www.gcrio.org/CONSEQUENCES/winter96/article1-fig3.html)
http://www.gcrio.org/CONSEQUENCES/winter96/gifs/article1-fig3.gif

Link (http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/pb3/pb33/kihzhome/kihz01/fig2_en.html)
http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/pb3/pb33/kihzhome/kihz01/fig2_en.jpg

Nbadan
11-08-2004, 04:08 PM
It shoes that they are conservative, but not that they advise the president.

Yeah! And you know how W never listens to us conservative organizations!

Nbadan
11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah, climate change is due to some natural forces in nature, but we can affect the speed of those changes with our actions or inactions. As the wealthiest and most inventive nation of the planet we should be at the fore-front to finding a solution to this problem not ducking out of the Kovoto treaty.

2pac
11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah! And you know how W never listens to us conservative organizations!

Show how they are presidential advisors. There are thousands of conservative groups.

Pat Robertson founded the Christian Coalition, but Pat and Bush have butted heads on more than one occasion.

Just because you are a conservative organization, doesnt mean the President is advised by them. You are such a freakin moron.

Spurminator
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
See how gross exaggerations and misleading statements can completely overshadow the subject you're trying to discuss? All you and GCG had to say was "CEI Spokesperson" instead of "Bush advisor" and we'd actually be talking about Global Warming right now instead of what constitutes a Bush advisor.

I proclaim this thread Example #3547282 of how the Democrats managed to lose the 2004 Election.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
What else is left to say that would be constuctive in that thread?

Yeah, I mean you already trashed the US military, fucking coward, what else is left?

The U.S. is missing out on a chance to show that it can reform its diplomatic mistakes of the first W adminstration.

See this is why I'm glad that Kerry didn't get elected. You have the same idiotic mindset about dealing with the assholes holed up places like Fallujah. There is no diplomacy with Osama or anyone who thinks like him.

The only diplomacy they understand is a round between the eyes. The sooner you and other pacifists realize this, the better off we'll be.

Nbadan
11-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I mean you already trashed the US military, fucking coward, what else is left?

Remind me again, when did I trash the US military? I said that they would win in Fallujah, eventually, but luckly armies don't decide who to attack in wars, they leave that to the politicians, and it is the politicans who are fucking up this reconstruction, but it is our troops and their families who will pay the ultimate price.