PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC: US aisrstrikes target suspected AQ site in Somalia

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
No link yet.

Clintonesque.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
AC-130 gunship used. 1998 embassy bombing mastermind suspected to be at the site.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Apparently CBS got wind of it first, but MSNBC is burying the other 24hr networks on this one. No sign of it at all on CNN or FoxNews.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/08/world/main2335451.shtml

A U.S. Air Force gunship has conducted a strike against suspected members of al Qaeda in Somalia, CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports exclusively.

The targets included the senior al Qaeda leader in East Africa and an al Qaeda operative wanted for his involvement in the 1998 bombings of two American embassies in Africa, Martin reports. Those terror attacks killed more than 200 people.

Nicely done if they got the fucker.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Nicely done regardless.

A round of beers if they got the bastards.

ChumpDumper
I know Bush hates pounding sand, but there's nothing more that can be done at this point.

lil'mo
mooooooooooooooo

exstatic
01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Nice that we're getting BACK to actually attacking people REALLY behind 9/11.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Isn't this the same type of shit Clinton gets hammered for yet now its nicely done? I agree nicely done, but the double standard is just ironic to me.

smeagol
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
It's Ok when Bush does it, but no so good when Cinton does the same thing.

Or was it the other way around?

I guess it depends on who's posting the story.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
It's definitely the only thing that could be done in this case. Anything more could make it look like we're piling on with the christian Ethiopians against muslim Somalis.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, its not Clinton had very many options either. Congress nor the American public would have condoned any major invasion of Afghanistan prior to 9/11 but that always seems to be lost when people are complaining about the cruise missile attacks.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Well, its not Clinton had very many options either. Congress nor the American public would have condoned any major invasion of Afghanistan prior to 9/11 but that always seems to be lost when people are complaining about the cruise missile attacks.Oh sure. Everyone looks through a post 9/11 lens on his cruise missle strikes. Now here's a perfect example of the necessity five years later.

PixelPusher
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
The stock footage of a C-130 Gunship blasting artillery rounds out of it's side was a lot more interesting that the helicopter circling the cruise ship in Miami earlier today.

Clandestino
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
ac-130 and sending cruise missiles are entirely different. either way, fucking bomb them, machine gun the, put a fucking dog on them... who cares, just kill all of them.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
ac-130 and sending cruise missiles are entirely different. either way, fucking bomb them, machine gun the, put a fucking dog on them... who cares, just kill all of them.Its only really different if you have someone on the ground to direct the fire, otherwise the main difference is that you put pilots in harms way. Unless I'm missing something here. And who knows, maybe they had someone to direct fire, but against a predetermined target I'm not sure what advantadges you'd have with a gunship as opposed to a cruise missle.

I agree though, just fucking kill them.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 11:27 PM
ac-130 and sending cruise missiles are entirely differentYeah, it means we have flyover permission and no opposing air force.

PixelPusher
01-08-2007, 11:57 PM
I agree, the cruise missle attack Clinton lauched is totally different from this gunship attack. You see, the computer guidance system in the cruise missles is so advanced, they've attained artificial intelligence, and when those missles found out Clinton got an extra-marital blowjob in the White House, they were distracted to the point where they couldn't concentrate on their precise coordinates.

xrayzebra
01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Isn't this the same type of shit Clinton gets hammered for yet now its nicely done? I agree nicely done, but the double standard is just ironic to me.

No Clinton got nailed for cutting and running, just what the dimm-o-craps
want to do now in Iraq.

He wouldn't support the troops with armor. He just wanted them to be
meals on wheels.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 10:49 AM
No Clinton got nailed for cutting and running, just what the dimm-o-craps
want to do now in Iraq.

He wouldn't support the troops with armor. He just wanted them to be
meals on wheels.Um, talk to your Republican controlled congres about that.

xrayzebra
01-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh, Clinton wasn't CinC at the time? Is that correct?

Frank Brickowski
01-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I think Xray was talking about Somalia in 93. Clinton refused to put in the proper armament and 18 U.S. troops died because of this piss poor decision. Armored troop carriers and tanks were never put on the ground. He then made the choice to leave instead of letting the troops finish the job. This is the reason for the Clinton hate when it comes to Somalia.

Nbadan
01-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Clinton tried to do Somolia on the cheap and got burned. We all the saw the movie Black Hawk Down, no need to relive bad memories. There's little doubt in my mind that leaving Somolia was the right decision though. We could have killed all those bastards had we had the AC gunship at the time, but it wouldn't have mattered. The U.S. would have been stuck there, protecting desert, for years, and our armed forces would have been even further depleted today.

Nbadan
01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Corso may have a point...

KENYA-SOMALIA: Fighting halts effort to verify deadly fever

Dobley is close to the Kenyan border where fighting continues between Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) remnants and Ethiopian-backed Somali government soldiers, who have been chasing them since the UIC were forced out of Mogadishu and much of southern Somalia.

A humanitarian source in the area told IRIN on Tuesday that casualties had been reported when planes carried out air strikes in villages close to Dobley. "We have reports of 22 people killed by the bombing," he said. International media reported that the planes were American, targeting suspected al-Qaeda operatives.

"Most of those killed were in a convoy of donkeys carrying sugar to the outlying villages," which have been rendered inaccessible due to recent heavy rains, said the source, who requested anonymity. Another source told IRIN there were reports of a number of armed militia in the area. "We don't know whether they belonged to the Islamic courts or not but some people are saying that they were there."

The bombardment took place in an area known as Jiiro, a "very good pastureland, with the highest concentration of cattle in the Juba valley", said the humanitarian source, adding that whether there were militants in the area or not, "civilians had been hit".

Alertnet (http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/6a33e8654b3a87eeebdc1230c8e298fe.htm)

Kill em all, and let God sort them out diplomacy.

01Snake
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
US Intel stating 1 of the 3 targets killed.

gtownspur
01-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Yes, Bush kills terrorist.

Clinton kills camel and aspin factory, and declines killing OSama.

I see the connection.

Nbadan
01-13-2007, 04:18 AM
:rolleyes

More like, bush kills nomads...

US strikes on al-Qa'ida chiefs kill nomads
By Anne Penketh and Steve Bloomfield
Published: 13 January 2007

The herdsmen had gathered with their animals around large fires at night to ward off mosquitoes. But lit up by the flames, they became latest victims of America's war on terror.

It was their tragedy to be misidentified in a secret operation by special forces attempting to kill three top al-Qa'ida leaders in south-ern Somalia.

Oxfam yesterday confirmed at least 70 nomads in the Afmadow district near the border with Kenya had been killed. The nomads were bombed at night and during the day while searching for water sources. Meanwhile, the US ambassador to Kenya has acknowledged that the onslaught on Islamist fighters failed to kill any of the three prime targets wanted for their alleged role in the 1998 US embassy bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam.

The wanted men are Fazul Abdullah Moham-med, Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan and Abu Taha al-Sudani, who were all supposedly sheltered by the Union of Islamic Courts during its short reign in Mogadishu.

Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/article2149716.ece)

exstatic
01-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes, Bush kills terrorist.

Clinton kills camel and aspin factory, and declines killing OSama.

I see the connection.
Woops. Looks like Bush can pull the whole "cruise missile, camel, tent" thing, too. No one important was home...

No one important killed in Somailia attack. (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/01/11/somalia.ap/index.html)

01Snake
01-13-2007, 10:06 AM
And like clockwork, the usuals comes out cheering. It's okay guys, a few more of your buddies have avoided death for a little while longer.

exstatic
01-13-2007, 12:42 PM
And like clockwork, the usuals comes out cheering. It's okay guys, a few more of your buddies have avoided death for a little while longer.
Not cheering, just pointing out that your Prez had feet of clay, JUST like Clinton. I'm all about killing al Qaeda. Their top leadership is in Pakistan, and making incursions into Afghanistan. Meanwhile, we dick around in Iraq, where we are taking potshots from the Sunnis AND the Shia instead of letting them shoot each other. We should be heavy into Afghanistan, and making incursions into Pakistan if necessary. That's where the REAL people behind 911 are, not in Iraq.

ChumpDumper
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe all this sabre-rattling about Iran is a smokescreen for some military action in the Pakistan frontier -- perhaps after their elections. One can only hope we attack the right region this time.

gtownspur
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe all this sabre-rattling about Iran is a smokescreen for some military action in the Pakistan frontier -- perhaps after their elections. One can only hope we attack the right region this time.

How would such war be conducted seeing if we did kill terrorist, they would look like nomads and we'd never hear the end of it.

Clandestino
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
and this is why using a AC130 is totally different from sending cruise missiles.

http://www.bitsofnews.com/images/graphics/US_AC-130H_gunship.jpg

http://www.socom.mil/Gallery/Air_Force/Firing%20from%20within%20the%20AC-130.jpg

http://www.periscope.ucg.com/ac-130.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Because the AC130 releases flares? Whoopty fucking do! Or because the AC130 shoots instead of blows something up? BFD, the point is to destroy the target regardless of the gun used. The AC130 is used for close air support, so if they had someone directing the fire then I understand its use, but thats about the only reason you'd use one as opposed to sending in Tomahawks.

Clandestino
01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
the ac-130 is more personal then sending 1 or 2 missiles. it can stay in the are for prolonged periods and fuck shit up. if they miss, they can just try again. cruise missiles are more for taking out structures. if the target leaves, then all we do is blow up a building.

ChumpDumper
01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Right, we had flyover permission and didn't have opposing aircraft or SAMs trying to take it out. Big difference.

Clandestino
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
go back to your al jazeera website you'll never understand

PixelPusher
01-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Only on this board can military ordinace be politicized. "Cruise missles are just SOOO liberal!" :lol

ChumpDumper
01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
I won't understand that it's easier to circle a slow moving plane over a target when it is given permission to fly over several countries and doesn't have enemy aircraft or missles attacking it?

Fuck you.

Clandestino
01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
this is what makes it different in my opinion:

Crew: 13
Officers: 5 (pilot, copilot, navigator, fire control officer, electronic warfare officer)
Enlisted: 8 (flight engineer, TV operator, infrared detection set operator, loadmaster, four aerial gunners)

ChumpDumper
01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Only on this board can military ordinace be politicized. "Cruise missles are just SOOO liberal!" :lolRight. it's so fucking ridiculous. When Bush took out a terraist in the Pakistan frontier using a missle fired from a remote control plane, he was obviously being a pussy right?

Idiots.

Clandestino
01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Right. it's so fucking ridiculous. When Bush took out a terraist in the Pakistan frontier using a missle fired from a remote control plane, he was obviously being a pussy right?

Idiots.

education in the u.s. needs to be a higher priority

ChumpDumper
01-14-2007, 06:26 PM
That's a Bushy joke.

Judging from your capitalization and punctuation errors, you are in greater need of book learnin' than I.

boutons_
01-14-2007, 06:43 PM
CD

Real (Texas) Men don't pronounce all the syllables, it more like "terrist"

Pathetic Clanny, his stomped balls bleeding badly today, he's reduced to spelling/education smack, and he gets even that wrong. :lol

01-14-2007, 06:48 PM
AC-130 blowing shit up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1v8Q-RLvE)

MannyIsGod
01-14-2007, 07:12 PM
the ac-130 is more personal then sending 1 or 2 missiles. it can stay in the are for prolonged periods and fuck shit up. if they miss, they can just try again. cruise missiles are more for taking out structures. if the target leaves, then all we do is blow up a building.Yeah, like I said, close air support. But they don't know if the target leaves unless they have someone directing them, like I said.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
They wouldn't have brought in the AC-130 unless there were special ops on the ground to direct fire.

BTW, the flares is a weak photo. Try this.

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/ac-130-dll.jpg

http://www.tankopoly.com/his/pic/ac130e.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-15-2007, 01:15 AM
:lol

Yeah, I didn't understand the flares picture either.

Oohhhhh, pretty lights.

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Right. it's so fucking ridiculous. When Bush took out a terraist in the Pakistan frontier using a missle fired from a remote control plane, he was obviously being a pussy right?

Idiots.

THat's the thing, Bush actually took out the terrorist.

Clinton just wagged the dog per say, and bombed sand.

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Only on this board can military ordinace be politicized. "Cruise missles are just SOOO liberal!" :lol

Cop out.

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:25 AM
:lol

Yeah, I didn't understand the flares picture either.

Oohhhhh, pretty lights.

edit out the flares, if they hinder the point one's trying to make.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 12:26 AM
THat's the thing, Bush actually took out the terrorist.

Clinton just wagged the dog per say, and bombed sand.:lmao

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:29 AM

Idiots.

Well he did at least take out the terrorist, did he?

You said it.

Unless you're laughing at your own shit, you got me.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 12:34 AM
It's per se, and again, it's alot easier to take out terrorists with flyover permission, ground assistance in targeting and land bases of operation a few miles away.

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:38 AM
It's per se, and again, it's alot easier to take out terrorists with flyover permission, ground assistance in targeting and land bases of operation a few miles away.

You're right, the mission is easier.

But the responsibility and repurcussions of the political fallout are not, and that's where Bush and CLinton, to me, differ.

Nothing funny about that.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 12:43 AM
But the responsibility and repurcussions of the political fallout are not, and that's where Bush and CLinton, to me, differ.What's the difference?

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 12:55 AM
What's the difference?

Are you serious?

Very,

One eliminates terrorist, the other one had the chance to and didn't.

I know you'll bring up tora bora, but bush didn't have him in custody or had a precision attack to Osama available.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 01:10 AM
But you just agreed with the argument that cruise missles aren't precise.

Which is it?

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Post?

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
So your contention is that cruise missle strikes are as precise and reliable as ground-directed Predator drone and AC130 attacks?

gtownspur
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
So your contention is that cruise missle strikes are as precise and reliable as ground-directed Predator drone and AC130 attacks?

That has nothing to do with my point.

I'm ignorant on the technical aspects of military warfare, i'm talking about the political aspect.