PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Best 100 Companies to work for

tlongII
01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/full_list/index.html

Nice to be on the list for the second year in a row.

AlamoSpursFan
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Pretty friggen happy with my job. Don't see Pepsico anywhere on the list. Oh well...

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/full_list/index.html

Nice to be on the list for the second year in a row.Does that include the sweatshops in Vietnam?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Does that include the sweatshops in Vietnam?

Nope.

All data based on U.S. employees.

tlongII
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Does that include the sweatshops in Vietnam?

Not another mis-informed liberal!

Mr Dio
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
[url]

Nice to be on the list for the second year in a row.

I didn't see Boinkin' Sheep.com anywhere on that list T.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Not another mis-informed liberal!Well if they've gotten better, good for them, but I wonder where the $5 a day including overtime would rank in the survey.

slayermin
01-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Interesting that Microsoft is on the list but not Apple?

tlongII
01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Well if they've gotten better, good for them, but I wonder where the $5 a day including overtime would rank in the survey.

Number 1: We don't own the factories you're referring to. We contract the work to them.

Number 2: If it's so bad, why are there literally thousands of people lined up to try and get jobs when they open?

ChumpDumper
01-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Number 1: We don't own the factories you're referring to. We contract the work to them.Nice cop out. It's not like Nike never knew what was going on there. They were certainly able have them make changes once Nike recieved protests, didn't they?
Number 2: If it's so bad, why are there literally thousands of people lined up to try and get jobs when they open?They're desperately poor.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Nice cop out. It's not like Nike never knew what was going on there. They were certainly able have them make changes once Nike recieved protests, didn't they?

They're desperately poor.

You're not making sense now. Once protests began we certainly pressured the factories into making changes for the workers' benefit. Isn't that a good thing?

Yes, they are desperately poor. That is why we source the manufacturing there. Cheaper labor. We live in a global economy and you strive to keep costs low wherever you can. You should realize that the cost of living in these 3rd world countries is much different than it is here in the USA as well. The people that work at the factories are able to save money beyond what they require to live on from these jobs. There lives are becoming better because of it.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Once protests beganHow nice of you. How long did that take? Are you saying you wouldn't have changed anything had someone not spoken up?
The people that work at the factories are able to save money beyond what they require to live on from these jobs.Good, maybe they can buy a bicycle in a couple of years. Or a pair of Nike's in a decade. They're definitely not able to join a labor union to improve their lot. Why is that?

I've certainly worked in industries that exploit third world labor. I simply don't try to make it seem better than it is.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
How nice of you. How long did that take? Are you saying you wouldn't have changed anything had someone not spoken up?Good, maybe they can buy a bicycle in a couple of years. Or a pair of Nike's in a decade. They're definitely not able to join a labor union to improve their lot. Why is that?

I've certainly worked in industries that exploit third world labor. I simply don't try to make it seem better than it is.

We might not have changed anything. Who knows? Costs would certainly be lower.

Many of the workers don't join labor unions there because their governments usually will not allow it. You still don't seem to grasp that their lives are becoming better and not worse by sourcing this manufacturing in their countries. I suppose you would rather that they starve to death. I'm not trying to make it sound better than it is. I don't believe you understand global economics.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 12:28 AM
:lol

I understand global economics and the importance of exploiting cheap foreign labor just fine.
Many of the workers don't join labor unions there because their governments usually will not allow it.How convenient you guys just happened to have stuff made there.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:32 AM
:lol

I understand global economics and the importance of exploiting cheap foreign labor just fine.How convenient you guys just happened to have stuff made there.

Please explain how they are being exploited if they are making more money than they ever had before.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 12:34 AM
You make it sound great. You should work in the sewing rooms.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:39 AM
You make it sound great. You should work in the sewing rooms.

If I lived there and was trying to scratch a living out of growing rice patties in my back yard I would love to work in the sewing rooms. If you understand global economics why don't you act like it?

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
You're very comfortable with your job and everything your company has ever done or allowed to happen, so don't "sweat" it dude.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
You're very comfortable with your job and everything your company has ever done or allowed to happen, so don't "sweat" it dude.

Whatever dude. We've made mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. I think we've done far more good than bad though. Obviously you don't have to agree. I just hope you research issues so that you thoroughly understand them before arriving at conclusions.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 12:49 AM
My conclusion is that Nike has made mistakes. I'm glad you agree.

I don't know if they've done more good than bad. We haven't seen the end result of globalization.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 12:59 AM
My conclusion is that Nike has made mistakes. I'm glad you agree.

I don't know if they've done more good than bad. We haven't seen the end result of globalization.

Nike isn't the impetus behind globalization. It's more like the other way around. Large corporations cannot compete unless they follow suit.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Oh certainly, it wasn't Nike's idea. I'm just disturbed by many of the effects of globalization of which Nike is a high-profile part.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, my other question is why do the shoes run so small?

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I can’t imagine working in a place this nice...tlong must be in “hog-heaven”...I was pretty stoked that we got a new vending machine in at my work... :smokin

69. Nike
What makes it so great?
The Oregon campus is a sporting paradise, with tennis courts, indoor and outdoor tracks, soccer fields, running trails, two sports centers, and an 11-lane pool used for swimming, scuba, and kayaking lessons...
Has nondiscrimination policy that includes sexual orientation? (Yes) You go tlong.... :lol

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Since Star Bucks is on that list...I wonder how many working Dads & Moms are able to pay their mortgages & their children’s orthodontist bills, working as baristas..... :wakeup

CubanMustGo
01-09-2007, 10:04 AM
From what I understand Starbucks has a very good healthcare plan for its employees and pays pretty decent money. Of course for what they charge for a cup o' joe they should be able to afford it.

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I think I should be on this list.

I offer Health Insurance(Scott and White), retiement plan(SEP), Quarterly bonuses based on profits, I buy their uniforms, 2 wks vacation, Christmas bonuses........ and I am taking the office to Vegas on Spring Break (staying at Rio) :elephant

johnsmith
01-09-2007, 10:18 AM

I offer Health Insurance(Scott and White), retiement plan(SEP), Quarterly bonuses based on profits, I buy their uniforms, 2 wks vacation, Christmas bonuses........ and I am taking the office to Vegas on Spring Break (staying at Rio) :elephant

What do you do Jim?

2centsworth
01-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh certainly, it wasn't Nike's idea. I'm just disturbed by many of the effects of globalization of which Nike is a high-profile part.TLongs argument is that Nike's factories have made life "Relatively" better.

2centsworth
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
What do you do Jim?
he exploits poor people. The people who work and slave for Jim don't make nearly what Jim makes. I bet you might even find some who struggle to pay their bills while Jim blows hundreds playing poker.

01-09-2007, 10:22 AM

And I'm sure the girls appreciate that.

http://www.costumesinc.com/Costumes/images/medium/UA83004-std.jpg

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
What do you do Jim?

I am a dentist in private practice in College Station

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 10:40 AM
he exploits poor people. The people who work and slave for Jim don't make nearly what Jim makes. I bet you might even find some who struggle to pay their bills while Jim blows hundreds playing poker.

:p:

You got me.

:)

johnsmith
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM

So this is why the damn dentist always takes so long to get to everyone, he's on the internet.

Damn you dentist, damn you.

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Dr Jim...You seem like you would be a nice person to work for...Do you only hire women?...I mean, I ride my bicycle every day & I have very nice legs...I would be willing to shave them if that what it takes to get the job & everything....

Sunshine
01-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I have dental assisting experience and I want to go to Vegas.

tlongII
01-09-2007, 11:24 AM

I hear you offer your top assistants special protein shakes as well. One can never be too healthy.

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I hear you offer your top assistants special protein shakes as well. One can never be too healthy.

No tlong, for the last time, I will not hire you as an assistant.

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I have dental assisting experience and I want to go to Vegas.

Sara, I will take you to Vegas with me any time you want, you do not have to work for me.

Sunshine
01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Sara, I will take you to Vegas with me any time you want, you do not have to work for me.

:spin

Hot damn!

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 01:01 PM
69. Nike
What makes it so great?
The Oregon campus is a sporting paradise, with tennis courts, indoor and outdoor tracks, soccer fields, running trails, two sports centers, and an 11-lane pool used for swimming, scuba, and kayaking lessons.

Also the Malaysian children get a day off once a month to play soccer with one of the defective balls that Nike throws out.

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
The Malaysian children get a day off once a month to play soccer with one of the defective balls that Nike throws out...
:lol :lmao :lol

tlongII
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
69. Nike
What makes it so great?
The Oregon campus is a sporting paradise, with tennis courts, indoor and outdoor tracks, soccer fields, running trails, two sports centers, and an 11-lane pool used for swimming, scuba, and kayaking lessons.

Also the Malaysian children get a day off once a month to play soccer with one of the defective balls that Nike throws out.

Most of the balls are made in India, not Malaysia. Get your facts straight Jim.

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
They throw them really far out.

1Parker1
01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I worked 2 years at PricewaterhouseCoopers, I'm shocked they are that much lower than Ernst and Young....

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
:lmao

Jim you rule. Nice shot at Tlong

From what I understand, Starbucks is a great part time job for college students because of how well the company treats you. Props to them.

1Parker1
01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh and Vanguard is at 90??! That company is freakin amazing. I got a job offer there, but didn't take the job due to it being a far travel for me. But the interview alone, I was impressed. It's huge, they have an indoor gym with trainers, a shop, mechanic/oil change and car wash, library, etc. on its grounds. Those other 89 companies must be really amazing.

1Parker1
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
69. Nike
What makes it so great?

:lmao :lmao I missed this at first.

Jimcs50
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Oh and Vanguard is at 90??! That company is freakin amazing. I got a job offer there, but didn't take the job due to it being a far travel for me. But the interview alone, I was impressed. It's huge, they have an indoor gym with trainers, a shop, mechanic/oil change and car wash, library, etc. on its grounds. Those other 89 companies must be really amazing.

I work out as many assistants as I can too.

I will also lube them up for free.

I still say, I should be on this list.

PakiDan
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I've spent the last 4 months traveling the country coast to coast, meeting some of the top athletes in the nation, COMPLETELY on my company, I met Deon Sanders, Phil Simms, have been interviewed numerous times on camera, and watched football all day on company time... my company is not on the list. THOSE GUYS MUST HAVE IT GOOD.

1Parker1
01-09-2007, 10:36 PM
^What company do you work for, if you don't mind me asking?

Jimcs50
01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I've spent the last 4 months traveling the country coast to coast, meeting some of the top athletes in the nation, COMPLETELY on my company, I met Deon Sanders, Phil Simms, have been interviewed numerous times on camera, and watched football all day on company time... my company is not on the list. THOSE GUYS MUST HAVE IT GOOD.

Can I come work with you?