PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Beno still misfiring

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Spurs Mailbag: Beno still misfiring

Web Posted: 01/08/2007 11:53 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA01082007.webSpursMailbag.en.205d8ef4.html

Beno Udrih was labeled the Spurs’ “fourth point guard” during training camp, then elevated to backup by the start of the season. Coach Gregg Popovich demoted him to No. 3 two weeks ago then gave him his job back.

On Sunday, Udrih even made his first start of the season.

Through it all, however, one thing hasn’t changed: His shot. It still isn’t going in.

Udrih is shooting a career-worst 35.6 percent, nearly a 10 percent drop from last season, while making only 19 of his 65 3-point attempts.

“It’s about confidence,” Udrih said. “I just have to stop thinking about it and knock those open shots down.”

With exception of battling foul trouble, Udrih performed fairly well Sunday while filling in for Tony Parker in Memphis. He had seven points and six assists in 23 minutes while making the only 3-pointer he took.

Considering how skittish Udrih looked against Dallas two nights earlier, getting the chance to start and play extended minutes might have been the best medicine for him. At the end of Friday’s first half against the Mavericks, he passed up an open 3, then forced another on the next possession that was blocked. When Michael Finley batted the rebound back to him, he missed another shot.

Udrih doesn’t think he’s ever been in a slump this prolonged.

“I remember when I was playing in Europe, I was around a 50-60 percent shooter,” Udrih said. “But it’s harder here. You come from the bench, you’re cold, you get two, three shots. You don’t feel it yet.

“Sometimes you try to be aggressive and that will to be aggressive makes you make a mistake or a bad shot.”

Udrih said he’s never had to work on his shot before. It’s always come natural to him. He’s now putting in some extra time with assistant coach Brett Brown.

While Udrih certainly isn’t the only player who’s struggled this season – Finley and Robert Horry are also trying to regain their form – the Spurs would benefit greatly if he can find his stroke. To avoid overworking Parker, the Spurs need to be able to get consistent minutes from the backup point guard position.

“My confidence went down a little bit,” Udrih said. “But I just need to pick it up and keep working.”

Now, on to your letters…

Is it possible that we might see the Spurs make a trade for someone who can help against the Mavs?

–Homero Quintanilla, San Juan

Yes, it is possible.

I don’t see any team when the Spurs are on their game able to hang with them. Why don’t they rest Duncan more during the regular season, so he’ll be stronger for the playoffs. –Andre, Rialto, Calif.

Allow me to introduce you to the Dallas Mavericks.

As for your suggestion the Spurs should rest Tim more during the regular season? That might preclude them from the making the playoffs.

I love Bowen, but I also think it might be time to put Michael Finley in Bowen’s starting position. We already know the Spurs’ real problem is scoring. Too many teams are getting fast-break points off our misses.

Mike is wasting away on the bench. With Bowen out there starting, we will always have a problem getting off to a good start, in important games. And, the Spurs will keep trying to dig themselves out of unnecessary holes.

When can we start blaming Pop’s decision making?
–Rocky, Austin

I think you just started.

One note: I don’t agree the Spurs’ “real problem” is scoring. They’re averaging just under 100 points and rank third in the league in field-goal percentage (.477) and first in 3-point percentage (.407). I know those numbers are inflated by some of their blowout victories over lesser opponents, but I think their inconsistent defense is the bigger issue.

Pop, what are you thinking? Have you really considered what you are thinking about by sending Brent Barry and Beno Udrih away? I plead with you to reconsider this option.

You are talking about disrupting the chemistry of your team. If anyone, send your one player named Williams to the Clippers. He has not played that much because of injury, so maybe he'd be a good swap and you wouldn't lose that much for what you're thinking about getting. Maggette is not a good defender anyway so I think Williams will be just as good a swap. –Albert Rios, Edinberg

Unfortunately for you Albert, I don’t think the Clippers consider Williams “just as good a swap.” And they even know his first name.

Why are the Spurs so reluctant to trade Barry for Maggette? I understand Barry has done well this year but Maggette is a difference maker. What is your take on this proposed trade?
–Pete, San Antonio

Trust me, they aren’t nearly as reluctant as they were prior to losing to Dallas. I think that loss confirmed to everyone how much the team would benefit from having an athletic three man who can play the four when the Mavericks and Phoenix Suns go small.

What some Spurs officials don’t want to do, however, is give up Beno along with Brent in the same deal. That would leave them without two of their best ball-handlers and they don’t like the idea of having to lean on Bruce, Fin or even Maggette to bring up the ball. Beno, for all his faults, can play next to Tony, if needed.

That said, I don’t even know if the Clippers would do a deal for Brent and Beno. The Clippers are talking to a handful of other teams – and while they clearly want to move Maggette – it might behoove them to be patient.

After seeing the Spurs labor last week, I’m in agreement that something is missing from the roster. And I think Maggette could fill that void. But I’d also go into the trade knowing it’s a risk.

Unlike you, I hesitate to immediately label Maggette a difference maker. He certainly hasn’t been a difference maker for the Clippers. He played in only 32 games last season, which, coincidentally, was the only time the Clippers made the playoffs in his six years with the team.

Maggette’s defense (or lack of it) and attitude wouldn’t worry me as much as his health. He’s missed the past two games because of a sore left foot. The same foot that sidelined him for much of last season. And the same foot that caused Indiana to call off its plan to trade Artest for him.

The picture of Tim Duncan on Page 1 of Saturday's Sports section was probably taken during a timeout because the leader of the Spurs and the league’s MVP would never sit on the court while time was still ticking.

Surely he'd be hustling for a win. . .like his teammate, Manu Ginobili!

–Ann Ault

If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were in the coaches’ meeting after Friday’s game.

Fabricio Oberto provided a strong spark and lift for the Spurs in the first half against Dallas. In fact, he was their leading scorer through two quarters. Why wasn’t he used more in the second half?

–Charlie W., San Antonio

In the first half the Spurs were successful because Fabricio Oberto was there to pick all the “garbage.” Why didn't he get more minutes in the critical second half? –Whitey, San Antonio

I was wondering the same thing myself. Fab had to come out of the game for a stretch in the third quarter because he had a cut that needed to be patched up, but doesn’t completely explain why he totaled just 6 minutes, 41 seconds in the second half.

Here’s what I was told (and, remember, I’m just the messenger): With Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop on the bench because of foul trouble, the Mavericks went small for about 11 minutes of the second half, including much of the fourth quarter. That would have forced the Spurs to put one of their bigs on Dirk and the other on Devean George or Josh Howard, so Pop matched down.

This once again reopens the big-versus-small debate, and my head hurts too much to discuss it for the 347th time. But I’ll say this much: I don’t think the Spurs are going to beat Dallas (and probably even Phoenix) by going small with their current perimeter corps.

In my book, that leaves two options: Either make a trade or stay big until Francisco Elson or Fab prove they don’t deserve to be on the floor.

At the tail end of the Lebron-Wade-Carmelo draft, with San Antonio on the clock, I watched the Spurs draft a Brazilian speedster with the 28th overall pick and promptly dump him for future considerations. The next pick went to Dallas, who scooped up the reigning ACC player of the year, an athletic small forward that seemed like a perfect fit for the Spurs.

Watching Josh Howard’s breakout performance this season makes me shudder to imagine the Mavericks swingman in Spurs’ silver and black. Under the defensive tutelage of Bruce Bowen, Howard may have been even more effective with San Antonio than he is for Dallas. Call me an optimist, but it seems conceivable that Leandro Barbosa may have found a minute or two in the Spurs’ rotation as well.

Passing on Howard and trading Barbosa to Phoenix in 2003 has to rank as one of the worst picks the Spurs never made. I know that the Spurs were angling for the extra cap room to lure Jason Kidd at the time, but that was a tough draft to come up empty in.

All second guessing aside, will San Antonio end up getting anything for the first-round pick that they traded away to the Phoenix Suns in 2003?
–Patrick, Lagos, Nigeria

Yes, his name was Nazr Mohammed.

Don’t you feel better now?

A couple of months ago, I emailed you to point out that Beno Udrih should be yanked (and now should be traded ... if anyone wants him) because his jump shot stinks – as in 0 for 6 against the Mavs.

I don't care about his textbook shooting form or about how many threes he hits in practice. All that matters is game time. And at game time, he fails miserably, time after time after time.

I hope (before trade deadline) the Spurs management will see and accept what has been clear to me and other Spurs fans for a long time.

Beno is not good for SA. Get rid of him.

–Robert, Austin

I need to tell Pop it’s OK for him to use his real name when he writes. :lol

When are you going to get Duncan some help?

–Maudean Robinson, Dallas

I’m trying, but he doesn’t appear to like the idea of seeing Monroe or I in a black, sleeveless jersey.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm going to finish reading it, but did I just read that an NBA player said he never had to work on his shot before?

Oh, my, god......

Ok, I'm going to finish the article now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm going to finish reading it, but did I just read that an NBA player said he never had to work on his shot before?

Oh, my, god......

Ok, I'm going to finish the article now.

Apparently, Beno's a good ball-handler, too!

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 01:25 AM
:lmao @ Ludden!

Thats the best mailbag as of yet. Especially the big about Pop email on Beno. Its good to hear that the Spurs' coaches are also as pissed as I get when they see Tim sit on the court pouting or when he bitches and Dallas scores. I can't stand that shit and that really needs to stop. He can't be focused entirely on the game when he's so focused on the calls.

I'm very perplexed with Beno though. How can an NBA player not work on his shot constantly? Kerr ALWAYS worked on his shot. That is a flat out admission from his own mouth that he doesn't work nearly as much as he should on his game. Thats just flat out horrible.

spursparker9
01-09-2007, 01:26 AM
spurs really did a bad move by passing J.Howard and traded barbosa...

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 01:32 AM
spurs really did a bad move by passing J.Howard and traded barbosa...

Well Pop (and Duncan) wanted JH - RC didn't.

As for Barbosa, they picked Barbosa for Phoenix, they never had any intention of picking him for themselves. That's just who Phoenix wanted.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 01:34 AM
I'm very perplexed with Beno though. How can an NBA player not work on his shot constantly? Kerr ALWAYS worked on his shot. That is a flat out admission from his own mouth that he doesn't work nearly as much as he should on his game. Thats just flat out horrible.

I don't know if Beno meant that he's never had to make adjustments to his shooting stroke? That might make sense and be better than saying he's never worked on his shot.

Mr. Body
01-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Passing on Barbosa and Howard makes me vomit.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Passing on Barbosa and Howard makes me vomit.
Even more reason to not trade our first round draft pick....

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 01:38 AM
That could very well be it and that certainly makes more sense, but considering we are talking about Beno I'm not sure I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially this far into the season and the work on the shot is just beginning?

The sooner we get away from Beno, the better. Effort put into him is wasted - at least as far as this team goes. I have little to no hope for him any more. I believe he'll have flashes every now and then based solely on talent, but I don't think he's ever going to do what it takes to make it consistent. He just doesn't sound driven enough.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Even more reason to not trade our first round draft pick....Fuck that. A sure thing is better than what amounts to a reserached and calculated gamble.

spursparker9
01-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Well Pop (and Duncan) wanted JH - RC didn't.

As for Barbosa, they picked Barbosa for Phoenix, they never had any intention of picking him for themselves. That's just who Phoenix wanted.

why RC didn't want JH? :wtf

T Park
01-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Wanted to go after Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal.

Had RC played it right though, he could have had Jermaine O'Neal.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Wanted to go after Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal.

Had RC played it right though, he could have had Jermaine O'Neal.

How? Jermaine O'Neal wanted to remain loyal and stay in Indy.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2007, 03:22 AM

Yeah, although didn't Jermaine only stay because he promised Isiah wasn't going to get fired as head coach in Indy? I remember reading a quote from as soon as Isiah got fired from the pacers that "If I knew this was going to happen I'd have signed with San Antonio"

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-09-2007, 03:36 AM
That could very well be it and that certainly makes more sense, but considering we are talking about Beno I'm not sure I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially this far into the season and the work on the shot is just beginning?

The sooner we get away from Beno, the better. Effort put into him is wasted - at least as far as this team goes. I have little to no hope for him any more. I believe he'll have flashes every now and then based solely on talent, but I don't think he's ever going to do what it takes to make it consistent. He just doesn't sound driven enough.
Same here, we need to give up on him already. We should trade him while he's still got his youth going for him.

We can't wait anymore on him.

TDMVPDPOY
01-09-2007, 05:37 AM
nve syndrome, fuck you beno

zeleni
01-09-2007, 06:43 AM

What efforts? What is your lazy ass talking about?

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
:lol MY lazy ass? I'm sorry did you confuse me with Beno?

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Beno and NBA player shouldn't be on the same sentence.

Sorry, Beno might be a good guy, but he is no NBA player.

Bruno
01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Beno is back. :clap

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
But I’ll say this much: I don’t think the Spurs are going to beat Dallas (and probably even Phoenix) by going small with their current perimeter corps.

In my book, that leaves two options: Either make a trade or stay big until Francisco Elson or Fab prove they don’t deserve to be on the floor.

I hope Pop reads this. Pop: stop fucking matching down to the Mavs immediately. At least leave the bigs on the floor until they prove they don't deserve to be on the floor!!!!

why can't Pop make Dallas match up to us and not viceversa????

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Beno is back. :clap

yes he is way way back

AFBlue
01-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I hope Pop reads this. Pop: stop fucking matching down to the Mavs immediately. At least leave the bigs on the floor until they prove they don't deserve to be on the floor!!!!

why can't Pop make Dallas match up to us and not viceversa????

Because our "other" bigs don't do anything on the offensive end and are easily contained by their quicker forwards.

On the flip-side, Howard and George present matchup problems with their quickness and three-point shooting ability. Basically, if the Spurs play down to them we don't get burned as badly by their wing players. Unfortunately, the Spurs sacrafice rebounding and interior defense...which nowitzki takes advantage of again and again and again...

That is why there is a call by fans and FO alike to get a rebounding, long, strong SF to limit the rebounding advantage gained by the other team when the Spurs go small.

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
yeah but on the other side, using a big lineup could create matchup problem for them if our bigs play how they're supposed to play. It goes both ways. Pop should just give our bigs a chance.

Remember we had Rasho, Nazr last year, this year is different, our bigs should get their chance. Pop shouldn't base it on last year.

pad300
01-09-2007, 11:28 AM
:lmao @ Ludden!

Look on the bright side Manny - If he's never had to work on his shot before, then it means he's ungodly naturally talented... If we can get him to work, he might yet be a thing of beauty. The good news is that he's going to become a minimum wage vet - a 3 year minimum wage deal after his rookie deal expires might look decent. I would do that deal - particularly because he might get it together one day. Point guards tend to mature late - look at Nash; he only started to get it together when he went to Dallas at ?27? (I think). Now he's a 2 time MVP.

Bruno
01-09-2007, 11:36 AM
yes he is way way back

Hater.

angel_luv
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know if Beno meant that he's never had to make adjustments to his shooting stroke? That might make sense and be better than saying he's never worked on his shot.

That is what I understood him to mean.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Please don't compare Nash and Beno ever again.

VaSpursFan
01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Look on the bright side Manny - If he's never had to work on his shot before, then it means he's ungodly naturally talented... If we can get him to work, he might yet be a thing of beauty. The good news is that he's going to become a minimum wage vet - a 3 year minimum wage deal after his rookie deal expires might look decent. I would do that deal - particularly because he might get it together one day. Point guards tend to mature late - look at Nash; he only started to get it together when he went to Dallas at ?27? (I think). Now he's a 2 time MVP.

beno...is that you??

it's insane to compare beno's situation to nash's. nash was always brilliant, he just needed some maturing. beno...man, we could spend all day with this one, so i'll just leave it alone.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
If Beno Udrih ever becomes the Most Valuable Player of the National Basketball Association, I will shoot myself in the foot.

Slomo
01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
If Beno Udrih ever becomes the Most Valuable Player of the National Basketball Association, I will shoot myself in the foot.
:lmao

You wussed out at the last word, didn't you?

Pussy!

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-09-2007, 12:39 PM

You wussed out at the last word, didn't you?

Pussy!

Yes - but I also didn't say what I'd shoot myself with.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50351860/Cap_Gun__8_Shot_.jpg

Pero
01-09-2007, 12:40 PM
MY lazy ass? I'm sorry did you confuse me with Beno?

:lol

Slomo
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50351860/Cap_Gun__8_Shot_.jpg:p:

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-09-2007, 01:49 PM
The only time Beno and Nash should ever be in the same sentence is when someone says "Beno and Nash should never be mentioned in the same sentence."

AFBlue
01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
The only time Beno and Nash should ever be in the same sentence is when someone says "Beno and Nash should never be mentioned in the same sentence."

Man I love it when you post. Always so witty, insightful, and downright enjoyable.

I promise I'm not being swayed at all by the unbelievable Selma Hayek signature.

T Park
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Well the only reason he stayed, was because Isaih was the coach.

Hes mentioned many times had he known he was gonna get fired he would've signed with San Antonio.

Its hard to believe that the Spurs down the grapevine couldn't have heard something to that affect, and told him that.

IMO, RC didn't go after him hard enough.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Beno sucks.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Hes mentioned many times had he known he was gonna get fired he would've signed with San Antonio.

Its hard to believe that the Spurs down the grapevine couldn't have heard something to that affect, and told him that.

That's a huge reach. The Spurs wouldn't have had any information about Isiah getting fired in the future. When a guy calls you and tells you point blank, thanks but no thanks, my decision is made - there's not much harder you can go after him.

zeleni
01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
:lol MY lazy ass? I'm sorry did you confuse me with Beno?

No. That wouldn't happen. Then I would speak Slovenian to you.

Fact is, he is on his rookie contract and was never invested in. What did HE benefited after he got his ring from nowhere? :dramaquee

But seriously... Beno made the most progress in his rookie season. From then on..he is not to be called an investment. He could be called a lay-away, perhaps. But I would've called him probably a treasure lost.

pad300
01-09-2007, 03:57 PM
beno...is that you??

it's insane to compare beno's situation to nash's. nash was always brilliant, he just needed some maturing. beno...man, we could spend all day with this one, so i'll just leave it alone.

No, this is not Beno.
While I don't expect Beno to evolve into a 2 time MVP, at the time not much useful was expected from Nash either. Nash was drafted by Phoenix (in the 1996 draft) at the age of 22. He was trade in the offseason to Dallas at the age of 24. In Pheonix he never was the starting PG, averaging 10.5 mpg in his 1st season, and 21.9 mpg in his second season. With efficiencies of 4.02 and 9.92 respectively. His efficiency only took a spectacular leap in his 5th year in the league (to 18+) - his 3ed year in Dallas. His MVP years had efficiencies of 22 and 24 respectively (Data from Basketballreference.com). He played in 2 playoff series (1 each season), with worse performance than his regular seasons. Nash was traded for Pat Garrity's Draft rights (19th pick), Martin Murrsep, Bubba Wells, and a First round Draft Pick (1st round, paid in 1999 - turned out to be 9th - Shawn Marion). Wells and Murrsep were scrubs. Garrity is a scrub. I will say the draft pick turned out well (it was a very solid draft class). If Nash was "brilliant ... just needed maturing" they wouldn't have made that trade.
He's not the only example of a PG developing slowly. Take Billups. He didn't get it together until 25 or 26 - his last year in Minnesota & his 1st year in Detroit. He also bounced around a lot. An example of a less accomplished player - Jamaal Tinsley - whose efficiency jumped from the 12-13 range to 16 last season - at age 26. Beno's 24 this year, and was a foreigner who needed to adjust to US culture & another language (english).
While I'm NOT going to tell you Beno will reach anything close to those heights, he has still got a couple of years to get it together before he becomes a complete bust. He's shown flashes of talent enough to make a decent backup & maybe even a starting level PG. I won't tell you I love his attitude, but he's not a write-off yet. If he didn't have some maturity, he would have tried to force a trade last season with the NVE garbage going on.

bigdog
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM

its not that RC didn't go after him, Jermaine was gonna meet with the Spurs,in fact his flight was already scheduled, but the day before he was scheduled to come and emet with RC and the guys, Indy offered him that contract.

itzsoweezee
01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Here’s what I was told (and, remember, I’m just the messenger): With Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop on the bench because of foul trouble, the Mavericks went small for about 11 minutes of the second half, including much of the fourth quarter. That would have forced the Spurs to put one of their bigs on Dirk and the other on Devean George or Josh Howard, so Pop matched down.

great coaching by popovich once again.
spurs played the bigs and had a lead in the first half. then popovich went small and the team collapsed (predictably).
if a strategy doesn't work, do it again and again and again. makes complete sense. i hope avery isn't reading this, or else the spurs won't be seeing much of diop or dampier in the playoffs and spurs fans will be seeing a lot of scoring by the mavs.

BeerIsGood!
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
No. That wouldn't happen. Then I would speak Slovenian to you.

Fact is, he is on his rookie contract and was never invested in. What did HE benefited after he got his ring from nowhere? :dramaquee

But seriously... Beno made the most progress in his rookie season. From then on..he is not to be called an investment. He could be called a lay-away, perhaps. But I would've called him probably a treasure lost.

I think this post is the absolute definition of Non-objectivity. Anyone who calls this lazy bum a "treasure lost" should be shot in the foot.

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
No, this is not Beno.
While I don't expect Beno to evolve into a 2 time MVP, at the time not much useful was expected from Nash either. Nash was drafted by Phoenix (in the 1996 draft) at the age of 22. He was trade in the offseason to Dallas at the age of 24. In Pheonix he never was the starting PG, averaging 10.5 mpg in his 1st season, and 21.9 mpg in his second season. With efficiencies of 4.02 and 9.92 respectively. His efficiency only took a spectacular leap in his 5th year in the league (to 18+) - his 3ed year in Dallas. His MVP years had efficiencies of 22 and 24 respectively (Data from Basketballreference.com). He played in 2 playoff series (1 each season), with worse performance than his regular seasons. Nash was traded for Pat Garrity's Draft rights (19th pick), Martin Murrsep, Bubba Wells, and a First round Draft Pick (1st round, paid in 1999 - turned out to be 9th - Shawn Marion). Wells and Murrsep were scrubs. Garrity is a scrub. I will say the draft pick turned out well (it was a very solid draft class). If Nash was "brilliant ... just needed maturing" they wouldn't have made that trade.
He's not the only example of a PG developing slowly. Take Billups. He didn't get it together until 25 or 26 - his last year in Minnesota & his 1st year in Detroit. He also bounced around a lot. An example of a less accomplished player - Jamaal Tinsley - whose efficiency jumped from the 12-13 range to 16 last season - at age 26. Beno's 24 this year, and was a foreigner who needed to adjust to US culture & another language (english).
While I'm NOT going to tell you Beno will reach anything close to those heights, he has still got a couple of years to get it together before he becomes a complete bust. He's shown flashes of talent enough to make a decent backup & maybe even a starting level PG. I won't tell you I love his attitude, but he's not a write-off yet. If he didn't have some maturity, he would have tried to force a trade last season with the NVE garbage going on.

Only difference between all the other PGs you mentioned and Beno is that all the other PGs were at least decent to start with, Benos is shit and actually got worse from his rookie year.

Sorry to break it to you but Beno will not last more than a few months in the NBA if he keeps playing like he is.

pad300
01-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Only difference between all the other PGs you mentioned and Beno is that all the other PGs were at least decent to start with, Benos is shit and actually got worse from his rookie year.

Sorry to break it to you but Beno will not last more than a few months in the NBA if he keeps playing like he is.

Really? Billups - at least in terms of statistical efficiency got worse before he got better.

Age Efficiency
21 10.31
22 12.18
23 7.62 (injury this season IIRC)
24 9.30
25 13.98
26 15.61

Peak efficiency to date - at age 29, 21.12
Beno will last at least 1 more year - his 4th year option was picked up. Somebody will be willing to experiment if the Spurs waive him. As far as more than that - lets consider the career progression of an 8 year veteran backup - Jaques Vaughn Beno Udrih
Age Efficiency Age Efficiency
22 2.60 22 5.49
23 1.84 23 4.60
24 3.31
25 7.73
26 9.24
27 6.71
28 5.04
29 5.65
30 3.99

Note, that jump in efficiency at 25 and again at 26. While efficiency is a lousy measure of defense (half the game), Udrih looks a decent bet to stick as a backup.

SenorSpur
01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Spurs Mailbag: Beno still misfiring

Web Posted: 01/08/2007 11:53 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA01082007.webSpursMailbag.en.205d8ef4.html

At the tail end of the Lebron-Wade-Carmelo draft, with San Antonio on the clock, I watched the Spurs draft a Brazilian speedster with the 28th overall pick and promptly dump him for future considerations. The next pick went to Dallas, who scooped up the reigning ACC player of the year, an athletic small forward that seemed like a perfect fit for the Spurs.

Watching Josh Howard’s breakout performance this season makes me shudder to imagine the Mavericks swingman in Spurs’ silver and black. Under the defensive tutelage of Bruce Bowen, Howard may have been even more effective with San Antonio than he is for Dallas. Call me an optimist, but it seems conceivable that Leandro Barbosa may have found a minute or two in the Spurs’ rotation as well.

Passing on Howard and trading Barbosa to Phoenix in 2003 has to rank as one of the worst picks the Spurs never made. I know that the Spurs were angling for the extra cap room to lure Jason Kidd at the time, but that was a tough draft to come up empty in.

The Spurs passing on Howard, to me, ranks as the single biggest personnel blunder in tthe history of the franchise.

Here was the perfect understudy for Bowen and what does this franchise do: spend the better part of the 2003 offseason clearing cap space, passing on younger, cheaper talent like Howard in order to court Jason Kidd.

There's no question in my mind this blunder has been one of the single, biggest factors in the current rise of the Mavericks and the balance of power shifting within the conference from Spurs to Mavs.

I get sick everytime I see him play knowing that he should have been a Spur. I said it in this forum when it happened and I'll say it again. This is one move that will haunt this franchise for the rest of Howard's career. For all the championships and other good things R.C and Pop have done in their tenure, they screwed the pooch on this one and I curse them for it. :pctoss

zeleni
01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I think this post is the absolute definition of Non-objectivity. Anyone who calls this lazy bum a "treasure lost" should be shot in the foot.

Let me guess: Like the one who thinks Beno can be a MVP some day? :lol

:fro I was answering to "Beno sucks and is a bust"...and I am not objective?? :blah

Manny tried to sell Udrih as a bust and was pretty much an idiot for it. I am however trying to be nice and say:
1.Udrih was left almost off the roster now the second time in the row.:ihit
2.Beno was never quite used.:hungry:

I am a fan of his and I know what is a treasure. But even if I am not a fan, I know when people are investing in something. And they didn't invest in Beno nor they took interest in his progress as a sophmore. The whole Slovenian lot of s is trying to be objective, but this is just absurd.

BeerIsGood! you are a smart guy. Tell me...are you really behind those words? :reading :wakeup :nope

PS. Let no one compare the trash of Tinsley with Beno.

zeleni
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM

You are one stupid guy, which you already know... so dance!

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Kori Ellis
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
For all the championships and other good things R.C and Pop have done in their tenure, they screwed the pooch on this one and I curse them for it. :pctoss

Pop wanted him. Duncan wanted him too. So I guess R.C. should be the object of your curses.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm an idiot for saying Beno has never lived up to his potential? Holy shit. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Beno was almost left off the roster and that Beno has rarely been used.

Beno was used extensively his rookie year, but Beno proved beyond a doubt that he was a huge liability in those playoffs. I remember calling for his benching after he single handedly gave game 2 against Denver to them with his horrific play at the end of the 2nd quarter.

So yes, going with NVE was a mistake last year, but that doesn't mean that Beno presented all that great of an alternative. In San Antonio, it doesn't matter if you do well in dozens of regular season games only to choke at the most important times because the ultimate goal here is a championship. Beno has never been able to deliver in those spots.

You never want to admit that there are serious questions about his work ethic yet Beno himself admits in this article that he's never worked on his shot! I don't care what he's talking about, he's an NBA player and if this is your trade you damn well better try to master ever portion of it. I'm not sure you're grasping how hard many NBA players work and how many hours many of them actually put in. That is what being a professional is all about.

Beno is a bust. Beno is a tease. And for the Spurs, thats all Beno will be. Perhaps a change in scenery is what is best for him, and while there have been mistakes made by both sides the lion's share of the blame most definitely rests on the shoulders of Beno himself.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
As far as Howard goes, you're not going to make the right decision every time with draft picks. The picks of Manu and Tony are probably enough to give this front office some leway.

SequSpur
01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Beno sucks, I can't believe there is discussion about this.

zeleni
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Beno sucks, I can't believe there is discussion about this.

I rest my case.

pad300
01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm an idiot for saying Beno has never lived up to his potential?

Beno is a bust. Beno is a tease. And for the Spurs, thats all Beno will be. Perhaps a change in scenery is what is best for him ...

I'm not sure who is calling you an idiot, but its not me. However, you admit yourself that Beno has/had potential. I'm not quite willing to write him off. He's an acceptable BACKUP PG right now. Provided we're not overpaying - ie. something close to the vet min - I'm not unhappy if we keep him to be our backup PG. Maybe a change of scenery is better for both parties, maybe not. But I have no major objections to having him on our roster at a fair salary.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure who is calling you an idiot, but its not me. However, you admit yourself that Beno has/had potential. I'm not quite willing to write him off. He's an acceptable BACKUP PG right now. Provided we're not overpaying - ie. something close to the vet min - I'm not unhappy if we keep him to be our backup PG. Maybe a change of scenery is better for both parties, maybe not. But I have no major objections to having him on our roster at a fair salary.No he's not.

T Park
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
He's an acceptable BACKUP PG right now

On the New Orleans Hornets, or the Bobcats yes.

Not on a team wanting to win a championship.

Give me a break.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
The Spurs passing on Howard, to me, ranks as the single biggest personnel blunder in tthe history of the franchise.

Here was the perfect understudy for Bowen and what does this franchise do: spend the better part of the 2003 offseason clearing cap space, passing on younger, cheaper talent like Howard in order to court Jason Kidd.

There's no question in my mind this blunder has been one of the single, biggest factors in the current rise of the Mavericks and the balance of power shifting within the conference from Spurs to Mavs.

I get sick everytime I see him play knowing that he should have been a Spur. I said it in this forum when it happened and I'll say it again. This is one move that will haunt this franchise for the rest of Howard's career. For all the championships and other good things R.C and Pop have done in their tenure, they screwed the pooch on this one and I curse them for it. :pctoss

:lmao :lmao Instead you have Melvin Sanders and James White. :)

zeleni
01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
No he's not.

You are not smart. You are in fact not even interested in this topic to think so..ergo ignorant. But that shows potencial. You want to learn something that is not sports, since you lack success in this field. :devil

Hey, what if you'd chill and think about this for a while?

Just think about the elephants.. :elephant

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not smart because I disagree with you that Beno has any worth to this team? Ok.

BeerIsGood!
01-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Manny may just be another lost treasure

zeleni
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Manny may just be another lost treasure

I agree. The man had shown his potential so many times. Its really sad.

T Park
01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Zeleni defending Udrih shows his intelligence.

MannyIsGod
01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I agree. The man had shown his potential so many times. Its really sad.:lmao @ you not realizing the sarcasm in the previous post.

However,

Beno played well tonight.

ducks
01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
beno played well because ludden called his lazy ass out again

T Park
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Beno played well because it was the Blazers.

But Im sure the Beno homers will be in full force in here.

zeleni
01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
yes, i forgot...

here you need italics just so people know you are sarcastic...

I knew, dear Manny... You clearly showed potential at least 5 times on this forum.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 12:03 AM
yes, i forgot...

here you need italics just so people know you are sarcastic...

I knew, dear Manny... You clearly showed potential at least 5 times on this forum.How about this, if anyone here says anything positive about your boyfriend/son/man crush you assume its sarcasm?

Kibic
01-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Zeleni defending Udrih shows his intelligence.
Have you ever play BB? Do you realy know what are you talking about?
T Park?

T Park
01-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Have you ever play BB? Do you realy know what are you talking about?
T Park?

I have.

I think I do.

Whats that got to do with Beno though?

Once again, stick on topic for the love of pete.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Beno played well because it was the Blazers.

But Im sure the Beno homers will be in full force in here.

Well he has to start somewhere and he doesn't pick the Spurs opponents. I was glad to see him look more confident and steady tonight. Keep it up, Beno! :tu

T Park
01-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Eh. He looked good last year against the Bobcats too and that meant jack squat.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 02:35 AM
He was still chucking, but overall a good job.

Kibic
01-10-2007, 02:38 AM
I have.

I think I do.

Whats that got to do with Beno though?

Once again, stick on topic for the love of pete.
Nice. I realy am glad to know you think you know what are you talking about.

T Park
01-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Nice. I realy am glad to know you think you know what are you talking about.

Nice that this has nothing to do with Beno Udrih, and you want to totally derail it with BS.

angel_luv
01-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Well he has to start somewhere and he doesn't pick the Spurs opponents. I was glad to see him look more confident and steady tonight. Keep it up, Beno! :tu

Now I'm all paranoid... do you want him to play well and be a Spur or play well enough to get traded?
I am rooting for the former. :)

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 09:42 AM
There were several times tonight Beno took it strong to the hole. That was his biggest improvement. He was also active on his rotations, which was nice to see.

Tonight is going to be rough for Beno. Denver has a quick backcourt. We'll see what he can do.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
There were several times tonight Beno took it strong to the hole. That was his biggest improvement. He was also active on his rotations, which was nice to see.

Tonight is going to be rough for Beno. Denver has a quick backcourt. We'll see what he can do.

it's going to be a short night for beno. he's going to get destroyed because he just can't keep up with quick guards. if i'm pop, beno gets maybe 5 to 10 minutes tonight and i let JV play back up. pop cannot allow his deficiencies to be shown if he's showcasing him for a trade.

overall, beno has done a better job of running the offense. he still chucks at times just to get a shot but i would hope that he concentrates on running the offense and getting his shots within the flow of the offense.

ducks
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM

ding ding ding
this is what he needs to do
shoot the three some but drive and then dish :clap

nkdlunch
01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
:lol at the Beno dicksuckers that come out when Beno plays well vs. the Blazers.

Speak up when Beno plays well vs. Mavs/Suns/Jazz/Lakers ,etc

hell, wake me up when Beno plays well vs. the Wizards

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
The Beno dicksuckers? You're an idiot. Just because people here give Beno props for one good game it doesn't mean anything other than them giving props to Beno for a good game.

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 10:54 AM
As we're trying to divest ourselves of our last Slovenian, having him play well is a big plus. Hopefully we can get rid of him soon.

Bruno
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
^ He is even a double idiot. Beno's two best games were against Houston and Dallas this year. Beno havind a good game or a bad one isn't really related to the strenght of the opponent.

Beno has had some good games this year, he needs now to be consistent during something like 10 games : it's the better way for him to regain his confidence and find again his shot/game.

nkdlunch
01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
The Beno dicksuckers? You're an idiot. Just because people here give Beno props for one good game it doesn't mean anything other than them giving props to Beno for a good game.

I was talking about zeleni, kibic, bruno,etc... those dicksuckers

I really can't beleive anyone with a braincell can really defend Beno or Finley at this point. :bang

Bruno
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I was talking about zeleni, kibic, bruno,etc... those dicksuckers

I don't see how I can "come out when Beno plays well vs. the Blazers", while my "dicksuckers" post about Beno in thsi thread was made before the Blazers' game.
You're a fuckin genious.

I really can't beleive anyone with a braincell can really defend Beno or Finley at this point. :bang

I really can't believe anyone with a braincell can't accept that some people disagree with him about some players. :bang

nkdlunch
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
post about Beno in thsi thread was made before the Blazers' game.

which makes you more of an idiot

nkdlunch
01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I really can't believe anyone with a braincell can't accept that some people disagree with him about some players. :bang

there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But it was Beno's fan club who started calling other people idiots first in this thread.

zeleni
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But it was Beno's fan club who started calling other people idiots first in this thread.

Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!Beno sucks!

And still... I'm hoping he develops and haven't given up on him. Am still the guy who critisized him with the dirtiest terms on this forum. So STFU.

Bruno
01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
which makes you more of an idiot

So saying a player is back just before he plays a quite good game is idiotic ? :spin
Your logic is awesome.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Well whatever the case, I really hope Beno has more games like last night in store. I honestly dont' think he does, but I can't help but have a little hope after a good (not even that good - god I feel desprate) performance.

zeleni
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM

if you listen so intently on this forum...i should ask if you jumped on your feet and danced like the elephant when I told you to do it? :santahat

Peace on earth and a merry christmas... :blah

T Park
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
If Paino would play like he did in 02 03, its just one less thing this team has to worry on.

Play good Paino, it does a spurs team good.

Slomo
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Play good Paino, it does a spurs team good.:lol

Not just the team, this board too!

T Park
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
No shit :lol

I hate seeing him do horrid out there, cause of how good he looked his first year.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Beno doesn't misfire, he is just shitty and can't shoot it.

nkdlunch
01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Beno doesn't misfire, he is just shitty and can't shoot it.

I'd say shooting is the least of his problems. His biggest problem IMO is he needs to appear to the opponent team as an adversary, not a ballboy.

come on Beno, grow some balls