xrayzebra
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Mr. Sowell once again hits the nail on the head with some of his random
thoughts.

Random thoughts
By Thomas Sowell
Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Random thoughts on the passing scene:

They say that man cannot control the weather. But every time I buy photographic equipment, it rains.

Who says that there is no difference between the political parties? When Democrats are criticized, they counter-attack. When Republicans are criticized, they whine that they are innocent.

We all enter the world knowing nothing but, by the time we are teenagers, we know it all. Sometimes it is decades later before we know enough to realize how little we know.

Nothing is called "second-hand" any more, except "second-hand smoke." Why is it not called "pre-owned" smoke?

Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination.

Some people seem to think that we live in more "liberated" times, when all that has happened is that one set of taboos has been replaced by another and more intolerantly enforced set of taboos.

If people had been as mealy-mouthed in centuries past as they are today, Ivan the Terrible would have been called Ivan the Inappropriate.

Sometimes you need a vacation just to recover from all the preparations you made before going on vacation.

Why would a boxer agree to a match in another boxer's home town?

Whatever the political benefits of making decisions by committees, the need for consensus virtually guarantees the lowest common denominator. A bipartisan committee with people of widely differing views has to paper over these differences and issue mushy pieties, like those of the Baker-Hamilton report on Iraq.

I don't feel any different as I get older. However, I do notice that, when I am out biking, a lot of other bikers seem to be passing me and I don't seem to be passing anybody.

What is especially disturbing about the political left is that they seem to have no sense of the tragedy of the human condition. Instead, they tend to see the problems of the world as due to other people not being as wise or as noble as themselves.

The next time somebody says that the government is forced to intervene in the economy to protect the poor, ask why the government is forcing taxpayers to subsidize municipal golf courses, the ballet, opera and -- the biggest subsidy of all -- surrounding affluent communities with vast amounts of expensive "open space."

Some days I don't seem to have much energy. Perhaps worse yet, I don't particularly want much energy.

One of the scariest aspects of our times is how easy it is for glib loudmouths to turn us against each other, weakening the whole framework of society, on which we all depend.

Boy do we ever see that here on this site.

Despite the shameless propaganda of the environmentalist zealots about the loss of animal habitat, more than 90 percent of the land in the United States is undeveloped. Animals already have vastly more habitat than human beings have. How much is enough?

As much as I have enjoyed traveling, the older I get the sooner I become homesick.

The Detroit "big three" top automobile manufacturers in America have already become the "big two," as Toyota replaced DaimlerChrysler as the third largest seller of cars in the United States. An internal memo from the Ford Motor Company indicates that they expect Toyota to replace them in the number two spot.

It is hard to think of any word that has confused more issues than the word "rights." Nowadays, almost anything that anybody wants is called a "right" -- a magic word that does away with the need for evidence, logic or even common sense.

(Does this remind any of you of one or two on this board)

Many of the same people who are urging us to get out of Iraq are also urging us to go into Darfur. They say we should "do something" about the murderous horrors in Darfur. But you cannot simply "do something." You have to do something specific. Those who are urging intervention won't take the responsibility for specifying what we are to do -- and at what cost in American lives.

Compact disks are especially valuable to people who listen to classical music. Through CDs, they can now enjoy the music without having to watch the antics and rituals of classical concerts.

We can only hope that the rumor that Israel is going to take out Iran's nuclear weapons facilities is true. If they do, Israel will be widely condemned by governments that are breathing a sigh of relief that they did.

(Boy, is this ever a true statement)

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute and author of Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy.

Be the first to read Thomas Sowell's column. Sign up today and receive

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I'll give him a mulligan because he's coming off vacation, but he's slipping into Larry King inanity

Spurminator
01-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I was thinking Andy Rooney...

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
For that he'd need a "Y'ever wonder" style catchphrase.

PixelPusher
01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
What is especially disturbing about the political left is that they seem to have no sense of the tragedy of the human condition. Instead, they tend to see the problems of the world as due to other people not being as wise or as noble as themselves.
Seems a spot on description of the political right as well, only i'd add the word "righteous".

ChumpDumper
01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
The right have no sense of the tragedy of their own condition.

George Gervin's Afro
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
One of the scariest aspects of our times is how easy it is for glib loudmouths to turn us against each other, weakening the whole framework of society, on which we all depend.

He must mean GOP talk radio.. those are the only folks trying to tear this country apart..

xrayzebra
01-09-2007, 03:30 PM

He must mean GOP talk radio.. those are the only folks trying to tear this country apart..

Or like redeploy or maybe the new catch phrase: Escalation. Hmmmm,
echo's of the 70's and CBS news.

Nbadan
01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
We can only hope that the rumor that Israel is going to take out Iran's nuclear weapons facilities is true. If they do, Israel will be widely condemned by governments that are breathing a sigh of relief that they did.

And we'll be greeted in Iraq as liberators with rose peddles and chocolate.

:rolleyes

Not with our kids.

Guru of Nothing
01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination.

Take us back in time XRay. Describe your attitude towards black people when you were say, 20. Paragraphs are encouraged, but not expected.

clambake
01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The Hoover Institute is widely responsible for the framework of our invasion and strategies into Iraq.

Next.

xrayzebra
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Take us back in time XRay. Describe your attitude towards black people when you were say, 20. Paragraphs are encouraged, but not expected.

What is there to say. When I was twenty I was living in England. Worked
with many blacks and got along with them quite well thank you.

The thing many don't understand, with my generation there was many of
us that thought it was dumb to treat blacks the way they were and told
our elders as much and got into as many arguments as we do here on this
board. I have no trouble with equal rights, I do have trouble with unequal
rights as now is practiced by the politicians and courts.

Remember one thing equal rights means equal responsibility, does it not?

Duff McCartney
01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Many of the same people who are urging us to get out of Iraq are also urging us to go into Darfur. They say we should "do something" about the murderous horrors in Darfur. But you cannot simply "do something." You have to do something specific. Those who are urging intervention won't take the responsibility for specifying what we are to do -- and at what cost in American lives.

Bullshit man....what are we doing in Iraq? Yeah the plan for Iraq is even better than the plan for the Sudan which the United States has none, so that's not saying much about the plan for Iraq.

I'd take Sudan over Iraq anyday. Both places are terrible...but we don't need another Rwanda on our hands which the Sudan is quickly becoming.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Uh, keep the militias from hacking hundreds of thousands of people to death with machetes. That's not specific enough?

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Uh, keep the militias from hacking hundreds of thousands of people to death with machetes. That's not specific enough?

I think the specifics that he is talking about is "how do you stop it from happening even after we leave"? You know, kind of like we didn't have in Iraq when we went in.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Was Sowell asking for that in Iraq?

Once the killing is stopped, punt it over to the UN and African Union for peacekeeping. That's not rocket science.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Was Sowell asking for that in Iraq?

Once the killing is stopped, punt it over to the UN and African Union for peacekeeping. That's not rocket science.

Well, while I agree, you saying that means approximately nothing in regards to what will actually happen. He's talking about politicians, not internet chat board moderators.

xrayzebra
01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
^^Oh yeah, the UN and Africa Union does such a great job. Like in the past.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Actually the African Union peacekeepers have been pretty effective in Sudan. There just aren't enough of them.

And the UN peacekeepers are currently operating in ten+ areas. It's a mixed record, but not bad enough to be dismissed out of hand.

clambake
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Would you say the job they've done is inferior to the job we've done?

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, while I agree, you saying that means approximately nothing in regards to what will actually happen. He's talking about politicians, not internet chat board moderators.No shit. Why discuss anything ever in that case? We're not coaches or GMs but we talk about what we would do in pro basketball every day.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
No shit. Why discuss anything ever in that case? We're not coaches or GMs but we talk about what we would do in pro basketball every day.

Just making sure you remember where you stand in the world's pecking order.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Same place as you.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Same place as you.

Yeah, but at least I know where I stand and don't think of myself as any better due to the posts I make on a chat board.

Don't worry about it Jackass, I was just picking on you.

:music

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Of course you think of yourself as better. You're a self-righteous asshole.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Of course you think of yourself as better. You're a self-righteous asshole.

You calling someone else self-righteous..........that's rich...........jackass.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Don't worry about it, I was just picking on you, asshole.

:downspin:

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't worry about it, I was just picking on you, asshole.

:downspin:

Good talk. Now that we got our daily "give the other some shit" segment out of the way......

:toast

Duff McCartney
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
^^Oh yeah, the UN and Africa Union does such a great job. Like in the past.

Of course not..have you even been reading about the Sudan? The UN isn't wanted by Sudan's own president. I think the reason he doesn't want them involved is because they'll find out all the horrendous things he's been doing.

And the African Union? The AU is badly underfunded and doesn't have enough troops to help secure anything in the Sudan. That's why they are asking for the UN to step in and provide assistance.

xrayzebra
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Of course not..have you even been reading about the Sudan? The UN isn't wanted by Sudan's own president. I think the reason he doesn't want them involved is because they'll find out all the horrendous things he's been doing.

And the African Union? The AU is badly underfunded and doesn't have enough troops to help secure anything in the Sudan. That's why they are asking for the UN to step in and provide assistance.

The UN has solved exactly "zero" problems in the whole history of the
organization. They only they they are good at is talking, passing
resolutions and member nations not paying their bills.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
organization.They certainly can keep and have kept people from killing each other in many instances while political solutions are worked out. Why deny this?

PixelPusher
01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I know bashing a diplomatic organization that wasn't designed to have great autonomous authority is great sport for nationalist conservatives, but you do know what the world was like before the formation of the U.N., don't you?

Duff McCartney
01-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah..and one of those nations that didn't pay their dues was the United States up until recently.

I'll be the first to agree that the UN doesn't do everything it should...but nobody does..including the United States. The only thing the United States gets done is what is on the political agenda of the current President. Which is why we have invasion of Iraq instead of peacekeeping in Sudan, Liberia, or Sierra Leone.

I think if the United Nations and the US worked better together, instead of appointing dumbass ambassadors like John Bolton, things would get done better. It should be clear that both parties can't function without the other. The UN can't enforce things without the support of the US, and the US, as in Iraq, can't do it alone ignoring the UN. Which is why there is increasing talk of allowing help from the UN troops for support in Iraq.

xrayzebra
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
So all you folks support a bunch of dictators, thugs, cheats and dead beats in
the UN.

About us not paying our dues, we didn't for a while, but the US supports about
25 percent of the UN with your dollars. Stupid.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
the UN.So you support genocide?

Duff McCartney
01-11-2007, 12:38 AM
the UN.

About us not paying our dues, we didn't for a while, but the US supports about
25 percent of the UN with your dollars. Stupid.

There are tons of dictators in the U.N. Many of which the U.S. supports either financially, logistically, or put them in power in the first place.

Yeah the U.S. didn't for a while and the U.N wouldn't function very well without the money it gets from the U.S., which is why the US witholds the money...to sway the UN into doing what they want. That is incredibly dangerous.

Personally I don't mind my money going to the UN....better that than going to other dumb government projects or money going to pork.

clambake
01-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Correct. The Shah was our boy, just like Saddam.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
So you support genocide?

No, we don't.

We believe the UN does a splendid job in stopping genocidal regimes and states like Sadaams Iraq and Darfur.

Where on planet Fucktard do you get your info?

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Ah, you believe what you're told to believe. Go get some talking points from FoxNews and get back to us.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Ah, you believe what you're told to believe. Go get some talking points from FoxNews and get back to us.

Wow, i've never heard such quips. I bet that Al Franken book was worth the 18.99 at Barnes and Noble.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Nah, reading Bush at War I got from Half Price Books at the moment.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Wow, i must admit.

You do have metaphoric balls for admitting you read from an author who managed to get a full interview with an ex president in comatose.

but that doesn't take balls, just stupidity.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Actually, Bush at War shows the administration in quite a positive light -- if you want to think that Bush was in a coma after 9/11, that's your deal.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Actually, Bush at War shows the administration in quite a positive light -- if you want to think that Bush was in a coma after 9/11, that's your deal.

I dont know where i said Bush was in a coma in my post?

It was Gerald Ford i was referring to, and i should congratulate you on your fine research for not knowing jack squat about who Woodward really is.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:30 AM
I know exactly who he is. I listened to the Ford tape. Sounded very uncomatose.

Note to gtown - the interview was done awhile ago.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Just googled for such tape, and it turned up zero results.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:38 AM
:lmao

Are you really questioning the Woodward/Ford interview?

You either didn't Google it or you really aren't very good at the internet.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:45 AM
:lmao

Are you really questioning the Woodward/Ford interview?

You either didn't Google it or you really aren't very good at the internet.

Ofcourse not jackass,

it's the tape. I never heard there was a tape.

but i had my info wrong. It wasn't Ford, it was Casey who was interviewed in the Hospital when he was comatosed.

Maybe that makes Bob Woodward credible to you.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Yeah, ex-president Casey.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Well, didn't take long for you to get owned tonight. My work here is done. Let me know when you find the audio. Tell me how comatose Ford sounds.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah, ex-president Casey.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Well, didn't take long for you to get owned tonight. My work here is done. Let me know when you find the audio. Tell me how comatose Ford sounds.

I wrongly said expresident Ford, and then corrected myself by saying it was Bob Casey.

Now if i said Bob Casey was an ex pres, then you have a point.

But you don't. And for scoring points you put words in my mouth.

You're work here is never done.

You must have the last word.

You're that predictable.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:53 AM
William Casey.

Last word!

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:55 AM
CIA Director Bill Casey.

Predictable.

johnsmith
01-11-2007, 08:48 AM

Good book.

Next read Woodward's book about the invasion of Iraq.

Not so positive.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I'm going in order. It's eerie that the Iraq fiasco is foreshadowed in Bush at War so clearly with the administration neocons trying to include Iraq in every discussion of military action.

johnsmith
01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm going in order. It's eerie that the Iraq fiasco is foreshadowed in Bush at War so clearly with the administration neocons trying to include Iraq in every discussion of military action.

Wait until you get to Plan of Attack, it's gonna piss you off so much you can hardly stand it.

Even I, a conservative leaning American had to stop after the first 100 pages and not read it for about three weeks because it bugged me so much.

Also, I don't care what anyone thinks about Woodward, dude writes a good book.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that Gerald Bob Bill Casey Ford stuff got cleared up by none other than our new SECDEF Robert Gates, as well as the CIA's own records. I am constantly amazed by Woodward's access.

clambake
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
They just hate Woodward because he digs the truth needle too deep. His integrity is untouchable. There is no defense for his prosecution of this administration.

johnsmith
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
They just hate Woodward because he digs the truth needle too deep. His integrity is untouchable. There is no defense for his prosecution of this administration.

It's funny too because as Chump stated, "Bush at War" really paints the administration in a positive light.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
That speaks alot to Woodward's objectivity. Afghanistan was really an extraordinary operation, all things considered. It's difficult to believe that these are the same guys who screwed the pooch so badly in Iraq, spoiling the gains made in Afghanistan at the same time.

smeagol
01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Are Chump and JS in love? :lol