PDA

View Full Version : Chris Webber: Should the Spurs Pursue?

venitian navigator
01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
In case Philly buy-out Webber, you think ther's a chance to take him ?
I think he could be worth the risk for us and he would be thrilled to have a chance at the championship...
That could be also more intersting in case we trade a big (ex. Bonner) for obtaining Maggette...

supaphly119
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
if you like old injured guys, sure.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Because exactly what the Spurs need is an old, broken-down player who needs shots.

VaSpursFan
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
no thank you. we need to get younger...no old mal-contents needed.

AFBlue
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
This topic barely deserves one thread, let alone two...see "What If..."

I know it starts off talking about trade stuff, but Webber is a key piece of the thread.

Bottom Line: No Webber, no thank you.

Borosai
01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
He'd be perfect for the 16th player on the Spurs' roster. :elephant

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd sign Vlade Divac before signing Webber

Mixability
01-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I'd sign Vlade Divac before signing Webber

but we already have Ginobili

:angel

Texas_Ranger
01-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I'd like to see him in the Spurs jersey. I know that I was complaining about Spurs age, and Webber really is old but still our 2nd. power forward Horry is older. And Webber is better than Horry.

Phenomanul
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Because exactly what the Spurs need is an old, broken-down player who needs shots.

While I may agree with your comment... Webber does have 4 or 5 double doubles this season.... that's more than any other Spurs player not named Tim Duncan.

bdictjames
01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
If he and Duncan get along pretty well, I dont see why not.

nkdlunch
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
but we already have Ginobili

:angel

even better, double flop threat.

It'd be first time in NBA history 2 differen personal fouls are called simultaneously

ALVAREZ6
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Jackie Butler is probably the only Spur I'd trade for Webber.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
he should back up Dirk :smokin

dg7md
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
They might as well try, Webber can rebound at least. He won't be expected as a main offensive option, or even the third. I don't see why everyone is so against trying to improve the team. Webber is still effecient, but not as a main option.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
:madrun :madrun :madrun NO NO NO! Webber belongs in a Mavs jersey damnit!! :pctoss :pctoss

lefty
01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Fuck Webber

T Park
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
:lmao @ people justifying Webber.

Are you guys nuts?!?

Sam
01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Why are people bound and determined to bring in cancers to our TEAM?

Phenomanul
01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
While I may agree with your comment... Webber does have 4 or 5 double doubles this season.... that's more than any other Spurs player not named Tim Duncan.

I looked it up... he has averages of 11.6 PPG and 8.3 RPG (with 6 double doubles this season)...

Why would the Vet Min be an overpayment?

dg7md
01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't imagine who would be better than Webber, who is available at the moment. I don't think the Sixers are cancelling ties with him because he's a cancer, I believe they're just trying to start that franchise over from scratch basically, but I don't know.

I don't see why a good rebounder would be so hated here. Who else is better that the Spurs could obtain as easily as Webber if he is bought out? Spurs need some quick fixes to get back into top title contenders.

phxspurfan
01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
F/C's last longer. c webbs got one or two good years left in him, on a contending team. see also alonzo mourning PJ brown dale davis antonio davis othella harrington

KEVIN78250
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Should the Spurs pursue him, or are his best days behind him?

KB24
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
SPURS need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Webber + SPURS = :fishing In June

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
His best years ended three years ago. The guy has an ego that needs to be stroked and doesn't have a game that corresponds to what the Spurs need. He still thinks he has a lot to offer a team and will look to go to NJN or LAL somewhere so he can be a focal point again.

No. Just... No.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Of course his best days are behind him, but if he's willing to come off the bench and be a role playing rebounder, then of course the Spurs should pursue him. Whats the worst that happens? He takes away minutes from Elson or Oberto? oh god no!

Philly made this deal because it saved them a TON of money. I don't see any reason the Spurs shouldn't be on the phone with his agent and trying to put him in a Spurs uni. He may provide some rebounding, which we sorely sorely need right now.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs look at Webber. Hell, this is the same front office that tried to ditch David Robinson so they could land Chris Webber. If they were willing to kick David to the curb to give Webber $100M+, why wouldn't they look at adding him now that his salary could be 1/100th of that? Plus, the Spurs have had no bigman step up to claim the spot next to Duncan.

Personally, I'm not rooting to see it. Webber is washed up and has no game left. His defense is poor and he still thinks he's a superstar. The best you can say about him is he's still a good passer.

But yeah, I'd be shocked if the Spurs don't go hard after him. Pop coached him in Golden State and has always been a big fan.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't know whether or not he still thinks hes a superstar. Obviously if he does, then it won't work because he's not going to be an offensive option. He'll have to get any points he scores by scrapping. But honestly, if dude is willing to do dirty work and just go out and grab boards, then by no means would I be upset with this.

This would be if Pop would be willing to treat him like a project, and nothing more. I don't want him babying him the way he's done with Finley.

Streakyshooter08
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
As a bench player for the minimum? Why not? The Spurs would have to cut another player first, right? (Not if they trade Barry+X for Maggette first :smokin :) )

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
if pop convinces him to accept being a role player, i'm sure Pop will do it. Webber is still a solid rebounder and passer and can hit the open shot to open up the post for timmy. but, his defense sucks.

do i want to see it? no, i'd rather see c. magg in a spurs uni.

Spurminator
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
You guys are crazy if you think bringing Webber on cheap would be a bad thing. Even in an off year he's still as good a rebounder per 48 as Elson and better than Oberto.

Plus, he won't be left open.

Seems like a very low-risk proposition.

Fabbs
01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
This would be if Pop would be willing to treat him like a project, and nothing more. I don't want him babying him the way he's done with Finley.
Manny after reading this and your Portland game blog comments, are you no longer in the hot tub with Findawg, T-Parked and Chumper?

Mr. Body
Start in New Jersey or come off the bench in San Antonio?

Gee, I wonder which he'll do.

Don't give me "chance to win a championship" claptrap. This is Chris Webber we're talking about. Chris freaking Webber.

itzsoweezee
on the downside, he's oft-injured and not a great defender
on the upside, he's probably the best passing big man in the game and a good rebounder. maurice cheeks also says he's great in the locker room.

i have a feeling he ends up with the lakers though.

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I for one would be surprised if they did. The Spurs need a big who is actually going to want to get the job done.

Bruno
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
The fact that Spurs haven't an open roster spot and that they are just over the luxury tax threshold reduces chances that Spurs sign him.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Manny after reading this and your Portland game blog comments, are you no longer in the hot tub with Findawg, T-Parked and Chumper?You're an idiot who can't read. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I was never married to Finley. I said all along that Barry was playing better than he was and deserved more minutes, but I also believed that before it was all said and done Finley would be the one playing better. I don't like people who are playing poorly getting minutes and I tried to explain that to you a long time ago.

Reading is fundemental.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Don't give me "chance to win a championship" claptrap. This is Chris Webber we're talking about. Chris freaking Webber.Well, if the Spurs go after him with a bench spot and he chooses NJ, then I have no problem with him not coming here.

If the Spurs go after him with a bench spot, and he chooses that in order to win, then maybe thats a good indicator of where his mindset is as far as what type of role he's willing to play.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
You guys are crazy if you think bringing Webber on cheap would be a bad thing. Even in an off year he's still as good a rebounder per 48 as Elson and better than Oberto.

Plus, he won't be left open.

Seems like a very low-risk proposition.

I would agree if Webber wasn't the worst defender in the NBA. And if he wasn't whining about "only" getting 30 minutes per game.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
The fact that Spurs haven't an open roster spot and that they are just over the luxury tax threshold reduces chances that Spurs sign him.This is true, but when does James White deal become guarnteed and have they seen enough of him to like him enough to keep him?

I'm not too sure they wouldn't just waive him if they had the chance to sign Webber.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I would agree if Webber wasn't the worst defender in the NBA. And if he wasn't whining about "only" getting 30 minutes per game.I'd be interested to read quotes on that subject (whinning). I haven't followed him at all this year, so I'm not sure what his stance on his playing ability has been.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Don't give me "chance to win a championship" claptrap. This is Chris Webber we're talking about. Chris freaking Webber.

If Pop still loves Webber as much as he used to, he'll be offering the starting spot in San Antonio. And really, who is going to beat him out of a starting job here? Webber's ability to pass alone would put him ahead of any big on the Spurs not named Duncan.

Bruno
01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
when does James White deal become guarnteed and have they seen enough of him to like him enough to keep him?

Five days ago.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
wouldn't we need to waive someone to sign him?

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Five days ago.Doh. I knew it was around this time of year, but I didn't see anything about that. They must like what they see out of White.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
The Mavericks plan to take a hard look at Chris Webber if and when the former All-Star power forward gets released by the Philadelphia 76ers.

Despite his diminished production this season, Webber figures to command a lot of interest from the league’s elite teams. The Mavs likely would compete with San Antonio, Phoenix, defending champion Miami, Detroit and others for his services.

Let the chace begin.

MannyIsGod
Webber has made it clear that he is unhappy with his current situation. Even when the team won the first three games of the season, Webber wasn’t happy with his minutes, particularly his lack of playing time in the fourth quarter.

As the team began to pile up the losses, Webber’s dissatisfaction has grown. At 33, he doesn’t want to be with a team that’s rebuilding as the Sixers so obviously are.

Meh, maybe his attitude is all fucked right now

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17690650&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=178120&rfi=6

I'd like to find actual quotes though.

VaSpursFan
If Pop still loves Webber as much as he used to, he'll be offering the starting spot in San Antonio. And really, who is going to beat him out of a starting job here? Webber's ability to pass alone would put him ahead of any big on the Spurs not named Duncan.

i gotta admit, the hi-lo with duncan could worth the risk. he can consistently hit that 15 to 17 footer too. his passing could help the ball movement which gets bogged down at times.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't see why the Mavs need him. Thats just bizarre to me. Pheonix would probably be a great place for him.

Spurminator
Here's what Webber was whining about, unless timvp is talking about something different.

But he was wondering aloud again about his role after the loss to the Kings, his former team.

"It's tough," he said. "Twenty-six minutes [against the Kings] isn't a lot of minutes. I only played 13 minutes [against Golden State]. I really don't know what's going on."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16340183.htm

VaSpursFan
Let the chace begin.

we're already in the mix??? CIA pop teasing us with the interest in C. Magg????

Spurminator
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
likely

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
The fact that Spurs haven't an open roster spot and that they are just over the luxury tax threshold reduces chances that Spurs sign him.

I'd imagine they'd do something like Eric Williams and two second round draft picks to Charlotte for a future second round draft pick.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
we're already in the mix??? CIA pop teasing us with the interest in C. Magg????I'm sure they're working trade deals as well as looking to bring in Webber. I'm not sure they are mutually exclusive unless a trade for Eric Williams goes down in order to free up the roster spot. Either way, even if a trade for EW goes down, that doesn't mean Barry and Beno aren't going to be dealt either.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Here's what Webber was whining about, unless timvp is talking about something different.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16340183.htmIts tough to discern if he's bitching about playing time or lack of knowing his role. Probably a little of both. Philidelphia strikes me as one of the most mismanaged franchises in the NBA, so who knows.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd be interested to read quotes on that subject (whinning). I haven't followed him at all this year, so I'm not sure what his stance on his playing ability has been.

I can't find the quotes this second but he had some drama queen quotes earlier this year about how he just couldn't go on without more minutes :dramaquee

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
In Phoenix he could ride the pine with his buddy Jalen Rose.

This guy expects playing time, and will kvetch if he doesn't get it. Can we give Webber 30 minutes a night?

Who do we cut to get him? Sayonara Eric Williams?

People forget, too, that Webber is the least clutch PF since Karl Malone, though I suppose those duties won't go over to him.

I can't believe he's only 33. Those Michigan dudes aged FAST.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm sure they're working trade deals as well as looking to bring in Webber. I'm not sure they are mutually exclusive unless a trade for Eric Williams goes down in order to free up the roster spot. Either way, even if a trade for EW goes down, that doesn't mean Barry and Beno aren't going to be dealt either.

c.webb and c. magg, wow. that could be interesting.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I think its unreasonable to expect that this former superstar would go out and do some dirty work and keep it to 5 or 8 shots a game. I think his offense is toast and this is the kind of guy that needs 12-16 shots a game to get rolling. He'll want to put it up on every offensive rebound. Glen didn't do much for us in a similar role and if we bring this guy in it'd be a 2-3 year deal I'm sure. No sense in him doing a one year deal and showcase his fall from grace for all the world to see. I bet he thinks he's got 3 years left and is probably worried about disappearing ala Spree.

It would be a less clutch worse defensive Horry all over again.Glen Robinson played some damn good defense on Carmelo Anthony.

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I think its unreasonable to expect that this former superstar would go out and do some dirty work and keep it to 5 or 8 shots a game. I think his offense is toast and this is the kind of guy that needs 12-16 shots a game to get rolling. He'll want to put it up on every offensive rebound. Glen didn't do much for us in a similar role and if we bring this guy in it'd be a 2-3 year deal I'm sure. No sense in him doing a one year deal and showcase his fall from grace for all the world to see. I bet he thinks he's got 3 years left and is probably worried about disappearing ala Spree.

It would be a less clutch worse defensive Horry all over again.

Nailed it.

You're right, Webber won't take a one-year contract. Offering him more would be ludicrous.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:29 PM

It would be a less clutch worse defensive Horry all over again.

The Spurs would most likely offer him a one-year deal. They don't have any way to offer him too much more than the league minimum.

There are still clubs out there who haven't used their MLE, so it'll be interesting to see if one of them decides to use it (or part of it) on Webber.

MannyIsGod
Its not that I'm over valuing what Webber brings to the table at this point, its that I know what our bigs bring to the table. Beggars can't be choosers, and believe me, we're fucking begging right now.

Louae
Of course his best days are behind him, but if he's willing to come off the bench and be a role playing rebounder, then of course the Spurs should pursue him. Whats the worst that happens? He takes away minutes from Elson or Oberto? oh god no!

Philly made this deal because it saved them a TON of money. I don't see any reason the Spurs shouldn't be on the phone with his agent and trying to put him in a Spurs uni. He may provide some rebounding, which we sorely sorely need right now.

He might provide us rebounding, but he can't move laterally for shit. He'd be the bigman equivalent to Nick "the Quick" Van Exel.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Its not that I'm over valuing what Webber brings to the table at this point, its that I know what our bigs bring to the table. Beggars can't be choosers, and believe me, we're fucking begging right now.
:lol :lol :lol :lol we are shaking the tin can right about now

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I know Pop likes Webber a lot. However, how much does Webber like the idea of playing a ROLE in San Antonio is more important to this situation. We all know money is not going to be an issue. Its his minutes and playing for a championship.

Bruno
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd imagine they'd do something like Eric Williams and two second round draft picks to Charlotte for a future second round draft pick.

Yes, something like that (even if Charlotte hasn't an open roster spot, so it should be : Williams+2nd+cash for Hermann).

It's not a complicate deal to do but Spurs had to do a trade before signing Webber.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:32 PM
He might provide us rebounding, but he can't move laterally for shit. He'd be the bigman equivalent to Nick "the Quick" Van Exel.

Perhaps. Well, actually he could be worse because Van Exel didn't have any problem coming off the bench.

On the other hand, there's also the chance that he ignores not having any cartilage in his knees for a few months and helps the Spurs and buys into his role.

I'd say if the Spurs signed him, chances are it'd be a failure for either health or chemistry reasons. But who knows, I guess.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Yes, something like that (even if Charlotte hasn't an open roster spot, so it should be : Williams+2nd+cash for Hermann).

It's not a complicate deal to do but Spurs had to do a trade before signing Webber.Getting a player in return makes the trade pointless, they'd probably do it for a draft pick.

Spurminator
I wouldn't expect him to take a multi-year deal right now. His value is low right now and his character is in question. I expect him to sign with a contender for the remainder of the year, be a good boy and try to increrase his prospects for a bigger multiyear payday in the offseason.

Marcus Bryant
Webber's contract wouldn't go past 2008, so Buford's sprouting wood.

Bruno
Getting a player in return makes the trade pointless, they'd probably do it for a draft pick.

They will waive him just after the trade.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't expect him to take a multi-year deal right now. His value is low right now and his character is in question. I expect him to sign with a contender for the remainder of the year, be a good boy and try to increrase his prospects for a bigger multiyear payday in the offseason.

Yeah, Webber would be going the Tim Thomas route. Play team ball for half a season and then try to bank in the offseason.

Or at least he should do that if he's smart.

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Exactly :rollin

Spurminator
01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
That would make no sense for someone with diminishing skills. He takes one year and if it doesn't work out the rest of the league will see right through it and that'll be it for him. That would cost him way too much money.

No one's going to offer him anything substantial long-term. The only teams that want him will look at him as a rental. They'll be more likely to overpay THIS season to have him for the Playoffs than to try to sign him on long term.

If I'm a GM, I'd rather pay $4 million for this season than $2 mill per for this season and next.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I cringe at the thought of this guy hanging on the roster for 2-3 years. No way he does a 1 year deal, he might never make it back if he does. I'm not saying there isn't any value to be had here but I don't see how he would compliment the current roster.Of course he does a one year deal. He's getting nearly 35 mil from Philly over the next 2 years according to the buyout report.

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
It makes me hurt to think of him trying to rotate out on Dallas shooters. Bang! From long range... Bang!

timvp
01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
It makes me hurt to think of him trying to rotate out on Dallas shooters. Bang! From long range... Bang!

You don't have to worry about defensive rotations from Webber. He hasn't made a rotation in years.

1Parker1
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Webber would give the Spurs some offense (though at the expense of taking away shots from other plays) and some rebounding. His defense is still too soft to solve the Spurs problems in the middle and I don't think he'd help us much against guys like Dirk in the playoffs.

His constant bitching in Philly has more to do with bad management on Philly's part and the fact that they've been a losing/struggling team from the time he got here. I'm sure it's just part frustration on his part and Mo Cheeks isn't exactly the kind of coach that instills motivation in players.

ducks
01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

This guy expects playing time, and will kvetch if he doesn't get it. Can we give Webber 30 minutes a night?

People forget, too, that Webber is the least clutch PF since Karl Malone, though I suppose those duties won't go over to him.

why in the hell would you go to webber in a clutch moment
when spurs have horry,manu, and duncan + tp

rayray2k8
01-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Spurs fans drooling over having maggette and webber.
Im not so sure about having Webber on the squad, but then again if the spurs did pursue him, would it be because they dont want him on any other squad?
Like say for instance.. The Mavricks... But then again, they can have him. :lol
I dont know.. His passing and shooting would be nice. Its just what hes able to do on the other end that worries me.
Webber defending Dirk kinda scares me.

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 01:48 PM
The real question is, does San Antonio have enough soul food?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Do the Maggette trade and we'll have space.

1Parker1
01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a feeling he'll end up in either Miami or Detroit...

timvp
01-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a feeling he'll end up in either Miami or Detroit...

So do I.

Sincerely,

Michael Finley

:shootme

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 02:15 PM
So do I.

Sincerely,

Michael Finley

:lol :lol :lol brings hoopsworld to mind :dizzy :dizzy :dizzy

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
The Finley situation is exactly what I see this as... A formerly top player who is too tentative in not wanting to disrupt an established team, but who would be more valuable if he asserted himself.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2007, 02:32 PM
no. :nope

theroc5
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
i really hope we do

parker/beno
manu/finely
bowen/barry
webber/oberto
duncan/elson

plus bonner and vaughn some where in here

wow i would love it!

i have a feeling he will be goin to the mavs or heat but i would really like him here believe it or not.

theroc5
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
it hurts me more thinking about us trying to rotate on a team that has shooters like
terry
dirk
howard
stackhouse
croshere
webber

Streakyshooter08
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Mhm... New Jersey is pretty thin in the frontcourt. Hey would be a nice addition for them and would get plenty of playing time...

1Parker1
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
So do I.

Sincerely,

Michael Finley

:lol Yea, and look how great Finley is turning out. Small Ball time.

Darkwaters
01-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Do you think the Spurs could wing a Barry/Bonner/1st round pick trade for Maggette and then sign Webber as a FA?

The Clips would get two great 3 pt shooters (their young player and an established vet) as well as a draft pick. The Spurs would be able to hang on to one of those two good ballhandlers (Beno) and get their small forward (Maggette) and a replacement for Bonner (Webber) at the PF slot. Webber is hardly ideal, but hes about as good as we'll find at this point.

Parker/Udrih/Vaughn
Ginobili/Finley/White
Maggette/Bowen/Williams
Duncan/Oberto/Horry
Webber/Elson/Butler

baseline bum
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
At least signing Webber would be an admission by Pop that small ball is a failure... which means there's no way in hell the team is getting him.

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Do you think the Spurs could wing a Barry/Bonner/1st round pick trade for Maggette and then sign Webber as a FA?

The Clips would get two great 3 pt shooters (their young player and an established vet) as well as a draft pick. The Spurs would be able to hang on to one of those two good ballhandlers (Beno) and get their small forward (Maggette) and a replacement for Bonner (Webber) at the PF slot. Webber is hardly ideal, but hes about as good as we'll find at this point.

Parker/Udrih/Vaughn
Ginobili/Finley/White
Maggette/Bowen/Williams
Duncan/Oberto/Horry
Webber/Elson/Butler

I think the Spurs would want to hang onto Bonner because he has been good from the three point line. He can spread the defense. I think they would like to get rid of Beno.

KB24
01-10-2007, 03:13 PM

Parker/Udrih/Vaughn
Ginobili/Finley/White
Maggette/Bowen/Williams
Duncan/Oberto/Horry
Webber/Elson/Butler

X-Mas just passed put your wish list away until next year!!!!!

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 03:16 PM

Let slip the Days of Crazy Bad Defense.

Fabbs
01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I was never married to Finley.

It's never stopped you from sidetracking mine or others threads, so why not now? Where you and Finley dating?

I said all along that Barry was playing better than he was and deserved more minutes, but I also believed that before it was all said and done Finley would be the one playing better. I don't like people who are playing poorly getting minutes and I tried to explain that to you a long time ago.

I'd like to see those.

Fabbs
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
At least signing Webber would be an admission by Pop that small ball is a failure... which means there's no way in hell the team is getting him.
:lol
Along with all the "Pop stresses D" mythical bravado...
CWebb since his opertions D-ing up. Yeah right.

sa_butta
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Damaged goods. This would not help the team in any way. I dont even think the Spurs are looking this direction at all.

stretch
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
as a Mavs fan, I wouldnt mind having Webber. He would be a decent backup for Dirk (better than Croshere or Van Shit). He's still a pretty decent rebounder, passer, and can still score. He's not a magnificient player or anything, but he's still decent, and it will be nice to have a bigger guy backing up Dirk, and let George play his natural position at SF. I think being on a Championship caliber team would help him a lot too, as opposed to a shit team like the 76ers.

PG - Harris, Johnson
SG - Terry, Stackhouse
SF - Howard, George
PF - Nowitzki, Webber
C - Dampier, Diop

thats a very solid lineup. each position has a quality backup, who could be a starter on quite a few other teams.

Kobulingam
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I think he could be worth the risk for us and he would be thrilled to have a chance at the championship...
That could be also more intersting in case we trade a big (ex. Bonner) for obtaining Maggette...

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:bang

RS189
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
If Webber came to the Spurs, he would be your second best big BY FAR... whats the problem?

kskonn
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
as a Mavs fan, I wouldnt mind having Webber. He would be a decent backup for Dirk (better than Croshere or Van Shit). He's still a pretty decent rebounder, passer, and can still score. He's not a magnificient player or anything, but he's still decent, and it will be nice to have a bigger guy backing up Dirk, and let George play his natural position at SF. I think being on a Championship team would help him a lot too, as opposed to a shit team like the 76ers.

PG - Harris, Johnson
SG - Terry, Stackhouse
SF - Howard, George
PF - Nowitzki, Webber
C - Dampier, Diop

thats a very solid lineup. each position has a quality backup, who could be a starter on quite a few other teams.

I would assume you mean being on a championship CALIBER team? just giving you a hard time.

stretch
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I would assume you mean being on a championship CALIBER team? just giving you a hard time.
lol, yes. thats what i meant. i just fixed that.

Kobulingam
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't care if he has 500 double doubles, he takes bad shots and is a worse defender than me (and I suck to the max!).

KEDA
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
see Glenn Robinson

T Park
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
This looks like Glenn Roinson all over to me.

Nothing good happened out of that move eh?

wildbill2u
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
The last thing we need is another aging retread on the downside of his career --complete with current injuries and attitude problems throughout his career. :madrun

I can't believe anyone thinks Pop and the FO would go for this. Or maybe not.:pctoss

The Truth #6
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
If Webber came in just for the remainder of this season, then maybe. But to sign to him to some 3 year contract would be the last dead-weight anchor of a player I could stomach.

Also, the guy is a known quitter. That's pretty much the opposite of what we need right now.

Budkin
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think it would be all that bad if we can get him for cheap. We still need an athletic small forward that can rebound though regardless. We're set offensively, it's defense and rebounding we need.

T Park
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
:lol @ people getting mad at this.

Whats it hurt?

If the guy fucks up, you cut him. That simple. :lol

Bruno
01-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Getting a quality player like Webber for the min can't be a bad deal but I don't think he will really help Spurs.
To me, it won't be a big deal if Spurs sign him or not.

Spurminator
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
:lmao @ people justifying Webber.

Are you guys nuts?!?

:lol @ people getting mad at this.

Whats it hurt?

If the guy fucks up, you cut him. That simple. :lol

What changed your mind?

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't see the bad in if the Spurs sign him. He can't be worse than Eric Williams. If the Spurs get him very cheap for the rest of this year only, its a good risk to take.

T Park
01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
What changed your mind?

Signing him for nothing is one thing.

Having to give up something is another.

If you get him for nothing, what the hell, doesn't hurt.

If you have to trade even Paino for him its a horrid deal.

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 05:30 PM
What changed your mind?

Webber isn't just another touchy chucker like Robinson, and he won't accept being treated like Big Dog because he has a ridiculously overinflated notion of his current and future ability to play basketball.

Hell, Spree hasn't reappeared in the league in the last two years because of the outlandish contract he's demanding (probably similar to the one C-Webb wants) despite his having far more athleticism (i.e., two functional legs), better scoring ability, tremendously more defensive aptitude, and infinitely more heart.

I don't see the bad in if the Spurs sign him. He can't be worse than Eric Williams.
Williams is a role player who's always been a role player, understands his role as a player, and (yes Pop) is capable of playing his role, and even when he's off the court has always been a good presence in the locker room. Chris Webber is none of those things.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM

Webber isn't just another touchy chucker like Robinson, and he won't accept being treated like Big Dog because he has a ridiculously overinflated notion of his current and future ability to play basketball.

Hell, Spree hasn't reappeared in the league in the last two years because of the outlandish contract he's demanding (probably similar to the one C-Webb wants) despite his having far more athleticism (i.e., two functional legs), better scoring ability, tremendously more defensive aptitude, and infinitely more heart.

Williams is a role player who's always been a role player, understands his role as a player, and (yes Pop) is capable of playing his role, and even when he's off the court has always been a good presence in the locker room. Chris Webber is none of those things.How do you know that?

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh, and as for your point about Williams, you must have missed his stay in Toronto.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd like to see those.Whats stopping you?

MoSpur
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Williams is a role player who's always been a role player, understands his role as a player, and (yes Pop) is capable of playing his role, and even when he's off the court has always been a good presence in the locker room. Chris Webber is none of those things.

that is exactly what everyone said about G-Robinson. Yet it turned out to be pretty good. Am I saying that its going to turn out exactly like the whole G-Robinson thing did? No. Just saying its worth the risk. The Spurs took a chance with Glenn because of assistant coach Newman.

All I am saying is that the Spurs might and should take a chance on C-Webb. Pop is familiar with him and should know more about the risk than we do. If he feels its worth the risk, why not? Pop doesn't know it all, but he does know more than us.

Leetonidas
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
For the minimum, what's the problem? At least it might help our rebounding problem.

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:04 PM
IMO, its safer with CW, cause of Pop. He knows him and the other way around. Its not like Pop is the assistant telling Nelson to "give him a chance."

Just heard on ESPN Radio that the cash out on CW is official.

Im sure that was posted here, just including it with another of my worthless comments.

ponky
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
probably not, Webber is like 34-35 and Marc Stein just described the Spurs as "creaky" in the latest power rankings released on Monday

leemajors
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
probably not, Webber is like 34-35 and Marc Stein just described the Spurs as "creaky" in the latest power rankings released on Monday

maybe the additional creaks could drown out the high pitched calls of DOUBLE from the mav sideline.

ponky
01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
maybe the additional creaks could drown out the high pitched calls of DOUBLE from the mav sideline.

i think he's going with "beans and rice" for the next game...he used it to describe D on okur in the postgame quotes last night

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 06:17 PM
A 65 year old Webber is better than the shitbags the Spurs currently have... Fuck David Robinson would have his number retired if he came back.

Sign him up!

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
How do you know that?
He thinks he should be playing: I think he shouldn't. There aren't too many shades of grey here.

Big Dog could still score at a significantly higher percentage than Webber (whose jumpshot has gradually abandoned him since his surgery, who never had much of a low-post game, and who no longer is capable of driving past his defender), and his level of mobility was about 4-5 notches higher than Webber's ever will be again.

You're quicker than Chris Webber. You're more athletic than Chris Webber. You could more easily score in an NBA game than Chris Webber.

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
A 65 year old Webber is better than the shitbags the Spurs currently have... Fuck David Robinson would have his number retired if he came back.

Sign him up

David's number aint retired?

Eh forget it.

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Marc Stein just described the Spurs as "creaky" in the latest power rankings released on Monday

Hes been wrong before.

mardigan
01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
C Webb is 33, not that it makes much of a difference

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
33 is the new 80.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm sure this has already been posted, but i just saw it on another forum

10th January, 2007 - 1:20 pm
Star-Telegram -
The Mavs likely will would compete with San Antonio, Phoenix, Miami, Detroit and others for the services of Chris Webber as soon as he is officially bought out of the remainder of his contract.

“If I’m putting myself in his shoes, he would want to compete and play for championship-caliber team,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. “We’re on of those teams he could make a ‘run for the roses’ with.”

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm sure this has already been posted, but i just saw it on another forum

Yup... found it about 30 seconds after I posted

mardigan
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
80 is the new 25

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm sure this has already been posted, but i just saw it on another forumNext time, start a new thread and don't bother looking.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Next time, start a new thread and don't bother looking.

Sorry I didnt feel like looking through 6 pages

slayermin
01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
If he's willing to do what Pop wants, bring him in. No brainer.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry I didnt feel like looking through 6 pagesNext time, read the Sarcasm FAQ.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-10-2007, 07:23 PM
i heard he calls a mean time out, though

timvp
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Scouting report: Webber can't move any more because of his knee, and it really shows when he has to make quick switches or run out to shooters at the defensive end. He wasn't a great defender even before the knee injury, but now he's pretty much awful. The Sixers gave up 6.1 points per 100 possessions more with Webber on the court last season, and opponents blistered him for an 18.5 PER.

All I gotta say is that if the Spurs sign Webber, the transition to Nellie ball will be complete. Webber's defense makes Steve Nash's D seem like Michael Cooper on meth. He just can't move anymore. He was a horrible, horrible defender two years ago when Philly made that trade and now he's way worse.

Only way I'd sign off for this is if the Spurs decide their defense isn't going to be there anyway and they decide his passing, rebounding and high post game can make them an even better offensive team. His two-man game with Manu would be deadly but man, his defense is the worst I've ever seen in the NBA.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
i heard he calls a mean time out, thoughi guess he would get along with josh "hee-haw" howard thenhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif wow. i crack me up. i even quoted myself.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
All I gotta say is that if the Spurs sign Webber, the transition to Nellie ball will be complete. Webber's defense makes Steve Nash's D seem like Michael Cooper on meth. He just can't move anymore. He was a horrible, horrible defender two years ago when Philly made that trade and now he's way worse.

Only way I'd sign off for this is if the Spurs decide their defense isn't going to be there anyway and they decide his passing, rebounding and high post game can make them an even better offensive team. His two-man game with Manu would be deadly but man, his defense is the worst I've ever seen in the NBA.

Webber has more blocks than Elson, Oberto, Butler, Horry and Beno combined...

WTF?

Dude, all I know, is Webber is available and the got damn Spurs better get him.

regio
01-10-2007, 07:38 PM
All I gotta say is that if the Spurs sign Webber, the transition to Nellie ball will be complete.
Adding Steve Francis after Webber would make it even better :lol

timvp
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Webber has more blocks than Elson, Oberto, Butler, Horry and Beno combined...

WTF?

Dude, all I know, is Webber is available and the got damn Spurs better get him.

Webber actually averages the same amount of blocks as Elson in double the time. But seeing as the last time you watched Webber was in the mid-90's, I can sympathize with your ignorance.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Webber actually averages the same amount of blocks as Elson in double the time. But seeing as the last time you watched Webber was in the mid-90's, I can sympathize with your ignorance.

Elson, Oberto, and Butler would carry Webber's bags if he came here.

timvp
01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Elson, Oberto, and Butler would carry Webber's bags if he came here.

True. And Webber would carry the Spurs' defense to places we never thought possible. Giving up 100 points per game would at least add some comic value to the team to watch Pop self destruct on the sidelines.

mardigan
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Maybe we could strap Elson to Webbers back, and they could flip flop on offense and defense without anyone noticing

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:47 PM
True. And Webber would carry the Spurs' defense to places we never thought possible. Giving up 100 points per game would at least add some comic value to the team to watch Pop self destruct on the sidelines.

Webber would be playing alongside the rest of the Spurs. He would be filling a position that already lets a franchise record number of lebron/kobe/nowitski highlights on ESPN. How would this hurt anything?

The Spurs have problems in the middle and Evans ain't coming, get over it.

mardigan
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Webber was my favorite player for a long time with Golden State, Washington, and the Kings when they werent playing the Spurs, and all I know is he couldnt guard Horace Grant when he was on the Lakers and that was a long time ago, so I dont even want to see what would happen against a Dirk or a Brand

exstatic
01-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Maybe we could strap Elson to Webbers back, and they could flip flop on offense and defense without anyone noticing
:elephant :elephant :elephant

mardigan
01-10-2007, 07:51 PM
We could use Webber, but everyone else on the team would get worn out trying to pick up his slack on d

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:54 PM

Who would play defense? Elson? I doubt it.

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Webber makes Elson look like Rodman (who never blocked more than 1 shot per game himself).

mardigan
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Webber hasent blocked more than a shot a game since 02-03, yikes

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
What minute out of a career of basketball did Elson play defense?

Russ
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
How things change. Five years ago people were "blaming" David Robinson for the fact that the Spurs did not lure Webber away from Sacramento (as if that were somehow realistic). All because DRob resigned with the Spurs -- thus dooming the team to never winning another title (they won two more, so far).

One post even purported to "indict" DR for crimes against the Spurs.

mardigan
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Im not saying Elson is a great defender, but at least he has working knees

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Webber would be GREAT for the Spurs

he is NOT selfish and it would be great to have someone outside the big 3 who can score

Leetonidas
01-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I could see Webber being instant offense off the bench for maybe 20 minutes a game or 25. Not a bad idea.

exstatic
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I could see Webber being instant offense off the bench for maybe 20 minutes a game or 25. Not a bad idea.
Instant offense...for the opposition.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM

BS.

exstatic
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
BS.
Blocked Shots? I don't think so. Maybe something like Barely Salvagable.

Kobulingam
01-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Exactly. He can't even defend air.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Blocked Shots? I don't think so. Maybe something like Barely Salvagable.

Bro, you'll be the first one to buy his jersey when he goes behind his back and dunks on Yao Ming.

baseline bum
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Webber is the worst possible option for a Spurs bigman. I'd think long and hard about taking Karl Malone on the Spurs before I'd want a finished Webber.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
i disagree with all of you... the spurs have 3 no options on this team already... webber would be considered as a savior.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 11:21 PM
is FREE!

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
and mentioned the Spurs as one of the teams he would want to go to.

Spurs16212
01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
With the Spurs roster at 15... who do they cut? Beno, E. Williams, J. Butler, what is your thoughts......

baseline bum
01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
That would be like Jenna Jameson coming up and hitting on me at a bar. Yeah, she used to be hot as fuck, but now she's all used up and shit.

MI21
01-10-2007, 11:32 PM
That would be like Jenna Jameson coming up and hitting on me at a bar. Yeah, she used to be hot as fuck, but now she's all used up and shit.

Nice.

lefty
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Damn ; would make things worse

Slow ; not a great athletic rebounder ; exactly what we don't need

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
With the Spurs roster at 15... who do they cut? Beno, E. Williams, J. Butler, what is your thoughts......

ahhh...let's cut Beno...not to sign webber, just because he sucks donkey balls

Texas_Ranger

Butler.

Extra Stout
Webber would make a better backup point than Beno.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Damn ; would make things worse

Slow ; not a great athletic rebounder ; exactly what we don't need

slow i'll give you, but c. webb is solid on the glass. he average 8 rpg in his limited mins this season

Solid D
01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Is a crippled Chris Webber a better player than a Jackie Butler who runs like Mini-Me with Austin Powers on his shoulders?

Russ
01-10-2007, 11:36 PM
and mentioned the Spurs as one of the teams he would want to go to.

He said that in '01 and the Spurs made him a videotaped sales pitch (since he wouldn't come to meet with them in person). He never watched it.

No thanks.

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Agreed....the Spurs have done a couple of big things since though.

Steve-O-Matic
01-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Webber's wish list: Heat, Pistons, Mavs, Spurs, Lakers
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

With his buyout from the Philadelphia 76ers on the verge of completion, Chris Webber has established a Fab Five wish list of high-profile teams he'd like to play for.

Webber told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that 17 of the league's 30 teams have already called to register interest in his services, but the free agent-to-be hopes to sign with one of the following contenders: Miami and his hometown Detroit Pistons in the East; San Antonio, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers in the West.

"This is the best I've felt in three years," Webber said in a phone interview. "Now the thing I want to do most is win a championship, put myself back on that kind of level."

Webber didn't divulge any order or preferences when listing those teams but did acknowledge that the Mavericks, believed to be offering less playing time than anyone in the group, was the least likely destination.

Early indications in San Antonio, meanwhile, suggest that the Spurs -- whose desire to get younger and more athletic and the swing positions is well-chronicled -- are unlikely to pursue Webber.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
merge this with the other one please.

Spurs16212
01-10-2007, 11:45 PM
If we can sign Webber for the vet min. and the Clippers are reportedly interested in Beno Udrih and the draft is said to be deep this coming season how about signing Webber and trading Beno to the Clippers for a first or second round draft pick.....

Popovich and RC Buford have been able to find phenominal players in Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker late first round and second round

ducks
01-10-2007, 11:47 PM
sounds to me he wants to play for a chance at a title and play minutes

pistons I see him going to

Big P
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM

James White

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
merge this with the other one please.:lmao

Mr. Body
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
James White

:nope

MI21
01-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I see him going to Detroit, the whole Michigan connection.

I wouldn't be terribly excited if he was to join the Spurs, but it certainly would be interesting. Despite the shit he cops, on a good team where he would never be a Top 3 option, he would have some good things to offer. Namely a good outside jumpshot and brilliant passing.

timvp
01-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Early indications in San Antonio, meanwhile, suggest that the Spurs -- whose desire to get younger and more athletic and the swing positions is well-chronicled -- are unlikely to pursue Webber.

Got damn it this means Pop and RC are flying to see him tomorrow :pctoss :pctoss

baseline bum
01-11-2007, 12:02 AM
I see him in Miami. Their season is falling apart, and they should be pretty desperate.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Well getting a ballhandler might encourage them to pull the trigger on Maggette.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm pretty sure he'll wind up in Miami.

dg7md
01-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I hope they offer him a contract. Can't hurt to have an experienced rebounder.

rayray2k8
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Webber's wish list: Heat, Pistons, Mavs, Spurs, Lakers
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

With his buyout from the Philadelphia 76ers on the verge of completion, Chris Webber has established a Fab Five wish list of high-profile teams he'd like to play for.

Webber told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that 17 of the league's 30 teams have already called to register interest in his services, but the free agent-to-be hopes to sign with one of the following contenders: Miami and his hometown Detroit Pistons in the East; San Antonio, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers in the West.

"This is the best I've felt in three years," Webber said in a phone interview. "Now the thing I want to do most is win a championship, put myself back on that kind of level."

Webber didn't divulge any order or preferences when listing those teams but did acknowledge that the Mavericks, believed to be offering less playing time than anyone in the group, was the least likely destination.

I thought Webber wanted to be on a contender team?
If he stays in the East, the team he chooses, has a good chance of going to the finals.
While in the west. He's more likely to WIN in the Finals.
Should be interesting how this turns out.
But this does feel like Glen Robinson all over again.

This is where I think he fits in best.

1. Miami
2. Detriot
3. Lakers
4. San Antonio
5. Dallas

This is where I THINK he'll end up going. Judging from the article.

1. Detriot
2. Miami
3. San Antonio
4. Dallas
5. Lakers

rayray2k8
01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44163/20070110/webber_likely_to_go_to_detroit/

Webber Likely To Go To Detroit?
10th January, 2007 - 11:14 pm
Newsday -
Chris Webber was bought out of his contract with the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday.

According to a league source, Webber is likely to go to the Pistons, his hometown team. He reportedly has a five-team wish list: Miami, Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas, and the Lakers.

But as Thomas said, "We'll be interested in anyone who is made available, and if there's a fit, we'll try to make it work."

Heres more from ESPN.

The 33-year-old added that he hopes to have his new address "by Monday, even though three or four teams want me by Friday."

A new deal can't happen that quickly because Webber must wait two business days to clear waivers once his buyout from the Sixers is made official. Webber said he expects paperwork on the buyout to be completed by Thursday morning at the latest.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what he does.

E20
01-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I'd take him, what's he gonna do that can be worse than any other of our bigs not named Tim Duncan.

Kori Ellis
01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
No thanks: The Spurs have a history of signing veterans cut loose by other teams to minimum contracts — Glenn Robinson in 2005 and Nick Van Exel last season — but Popovich said there is no interest in Chris Webber, whose contract was bought out by the 76ers.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011107.07D.BKNspurs.notebook.34c3a34.html

MannyIsGod
01-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Got damn it this means Pop and RC are flying to see him tomorrow :pctoss :pctossNah, I think it means that Marc Stein speaks with Ludden. I emailed Ludden about it and got back this one sentence response:

They don't need a 33-year-old one-legged center who doesn't defend. They need a three, who's long and athletic enough to play four when they go small.

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:22 AM
If that isn't CIA Pop at work, I'm proud of the Spurs. Finally found a broken down veteran they didn't want to go after.

Oh and F U to Pop and RC for trying to get rid of David Robinson to try to sign Chris Webber back in '02 or whenever the hell that was. How would that have turned out? No championship in 2003. Manu not able to be re-signed in 2004. No championship in 2005. The Spurs would be stuck with a broken down Webber with David Robinson still putting up double-doubles for the Knicks.

:flipoff

T Park
01-11-2007, 01:23 AM
If Pop says no,

that means they are going all out :lol

Who the hell do you cut though?

I bet its Eric Williams.

If thats it?

the team really needs 4 guys over 6 9 on the active roster when Elson gets back?

T Park
01-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh and F U to Pop and RC for trying to get rid of David Robinson to try to sign Chris Webber back in '02 or whenever the hell that was. How would that have turned out? No championship in 2003. Manu not able to be re-signed in 2004. No championship in 2005. The Spurs would be stuck with a broken down Webber with David Robinson still putting up double-doubles for the Knicks

Just trying to sign the best player available at the time.

btw,

is that now stuck with CW and DRob putting up DDs for the knicks?

T Park
01-11-2007, 01:26 AM
btw

isn't it a bit late to send em an FU for that :lol

That was like what, 6 years ago?

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:29 AM
btw

isn't it a bit late to send em an FU for that :lol

That was like what, 6 years ago?

The full ramifications are just now seen. Webber was breaking down and wasn't that good to begin with. He was probably the least clutch player on those Kings teams.

The Spurs were willing to give $110M or whatever to sign Webber and throw David Robinson in the trash but can't spring for a backup point guard?

:madrun

T Park
01-11-2007, 01:32 AM
The Spurs were willing to give $110M or whatever to sign Webber and throw David Robinson in the trash but can't spring for a backup point guard

Your all over the place here :lol

rayray2k8
01-11-2007, 01:56 AM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/327/benoshirtpq9.jpg
:lmao

Mr. Body
01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
There's maybe a 0.0005% chance the Spurs think about adding Webber. And there's only a 0.45% chance of that.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 02:06 AM
I'd consider Webber pretty much only in conjunction with a Maggette trade.

timvp
01-11-2007, 02:06 AM

I'd consider Webber pretty much only in conjunction with Greg Oden.

T Park
01-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Agreed.

If Paino and Stone shot were shipped out, then youd have a roster spot.

Although, I think id rather activate Jackie and start just throwing him in the fire.

T Park
01-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Hmmm.

Whos hated more.

Malone?

CW?

Hard to tell right now.

Darkwaters
01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
I'd consider Webber pretty much only in conjunction with Greg Oden.

I could do Kevin Durant.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 02:10 AM
I'd consider Webber pretty much only in conjunction with Greg Oden.Eh, it's not like Robinson's coming back. It's better just to believe nothing is going to happen and be surprised if something does.

baseline bum
01-11-2007, 02:11 AM
I've always been a Webber fan, but he sucks and is done.

venitian navigator
01-11-2007, 06:30 AM

At the beginning, that was my idea too...
If we have (and decide) to give our 1th choice to the Clips for Maggette, than the trade could be : Udrih + E.Will. + Bonner + 1th choice for Maggette

Streakyshooter08
01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Man, the sad thing is not that they won't get Webber, it is more the fact that they refused to trade BU+BB for Maggette. THAT really pisses me off... :pctoss

MoSpur
01-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I heard this morning on ESPN that C-Webb told Marc Stein that 17 teams have contacted him about playing for them. He advised Stein there are five teams he is interested in. The Pistons, Heat, Mavericks, Lakers, Suns, and your San Antonio Spurs.

greywheel
01-11-2007, 09:47 AM
That is six teams. Webber's lying.

Edit: Okay article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2727137) does not mention Suns.

Each of the other three teams on Webber's list, by contrast, does have a need and an interest.

MoSpur
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
That is six teams.

:lmao
That's right. I added the Suns by accident. He said two teams in the East and three in the West not including the Suns. I think he would do best in LA because of the offense they run. However, he stated according to ESPN's Marc Stein, that he is at the time in his career where he wants to win a championship.

MoSpur
01-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I think he would do best in LA. He is very smart when it comes to basketball and the triangle offense is something he'd be very good at.

I don't know if anyone elsed watched Don Harris' Extra Point last night. He said in his opinion that the Spurs should go after him. Its a low risk high reward type of deal. He said something like our bigs aren't doing that great of a job and that Webber might be an upgrade. I have to agree. Its a risk that won't cost the Spurs that much if it doesn't work out.

GrandeDavid
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I can't imagine who would be better than Webber, who is available at the moment. I don't think the Sixers are cancelling ties with him because he's a cancer, I believe they're just trying to start that franchise over from scratch basically, but I don't know.

I don't see why a good rebounder would be so hated here. Who else is better that the Spurs could obtain as easily as Webber if he is bought out? Spurs need some quick fixes to get back into top title contenders.

Now I'm agreeing with you! While I'm suspicious of Webber like most others here, if he can be had and as a quick fix for one season, a piece to a puzzle, why the hell not. And who the hell knows, maybe playing for a legit championship contender would motivate him.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 12:50 PM
They said on Cold Pizza this morning that he will sign with Detroit as soon as Mon.

peskypesky
01-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I think the Spur's FO are fools if they don't try to get Webber. This is a guy who averaged 20pts and 10 rbnds per game LAST YEAR! And that's just about the same as his career averages.

Sure, he's past his prime, but so was Alonzo Mourning last year when he played like a man possesed to help Miami win the Championship.

To have Webber coming off the bench, or starting some games at center, would be awesome, IMO.

Mr. Body
01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I think the Spur's FO are fools if they don't try to get Webber. This is a guy who averaged 20pts and 10 rbnds per game LAST YEAR! And that's just about the same as his career averages.

Sure, he's past his prime, but so was Alonzo Mourning last year when he played like a man possesed to help Miami win the Championship.

Thank God those FO fools are making the right non-choice here. And the comparison with Mourning is bogus. Mourning is an incredible shot-blocker at this point in his career, same as always. He's not nearly as rickety as Webber.

peskypesky
01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Thank God those FO fools are making the right non-choice here. And the comparison with Mourning is bogus. Mourning is an incredible shot-blocker at this point in his career, same as always.

Exactly my point. Even when a formerly great player is past his prime (like DRob in 2003), he can still rise up at moments and give you that extra something you need to win a title.

You don't look to CWebb for blocks, but you can look to him for some rebounds, points and assists.

As for rickety, Shaq has been a little rickety these past couple of years, and he still helped Miami win the title last year.

I would never think of building a team around CWebb at this point, nor would I think of him as a first option, or second option, or even third option. But coming off the bench? I think he could surely give more than Horry and Butler, and probably more than Elson or Oberto.

RC's Boss
01-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Exactly my point. Even when a formerly great player is past his prime (like DRob in 2003), he can still rise up at moments and give you that extra something you need to win a title.

You don't look to CWebb for blocks, but you can look to him for some rebounds, points and assists.

As for rickety, Shaq has been a little rickety these past couple of years, and he still helped Miami win the title last year.

I would never think of building a team around CWebb at this point, nor would I think of him as a first option, or second option, or even third option. But coming off the bench? I think he could surely give more than Horry and Butler, and probably more than Elson or Oberto.
Agreed. I think people are expecting someone to come in and avg 3blocks and 14 rpg. He would be a role player, nothing more. I would really love to see him on the floor w/ Manu running off screens and Barry camped at the 3point line.

jbspurs
01-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Agreed. I think people are expecting someone to come in and avg 3blocks and 14 rpg. He would be a role player, nothing more. I would really love to see him on the floor w/ Manu running off screens and Barry camped at the 3point line.

He'll be just like Vlade Divac of Sacramento 4 or 5 years ago... Slow yet still effective. Occasional rebound and good passing will still make a difference!!

SilverPlayer
01-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Webber will be a piston most likely:

The Detroit Pistons are close to reaching an agreement with free agent Chris Webber, sources close to the negotiations said Thursday night.

Webber, 33, who had the final two seasons of his contract bought out by the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday, will return to his Michigan roots where he once starred for Detroit Country Day High School and the University of Michigan.

Webber, who's still clearing waivers, can't officially with a team until Monday. He is expected to sign for a pro-rated $1.87 million-a-season, 10-year-veteran contract.

All along, sources said, the Pistons were Webber's No. 1 choice upon leaving the 76ers. They would give him a chance to finally reach the NBA Finals and perhaps compete for his first NBA title.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-webber011107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

rayray2k8
01-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Webber Wants To Go West; Orlando Now In Mix?
12th January, 2007 - 6:10 am
L.A. Times -
Free-agent forward Chris Webber and the Lakers took another step toward each other Thursday, with Webber's agent saying his client was highly interested in heading west, and the Lakers acknowledging they were more than willing to listen.

"They're definitely a team that Chris is considering," agent Aaron Goodwin said. "He wants to be in a situation where he can continue to play and get significant minutes. He's rested, healthy and ready to go. The Lakers are playing well. Kobe's doing a great job of integrating everybody and turning it into a winning organization this year."

"There's a few teams that he's reviewing and then we're going to move forward. He's definitely excited."

Webber has narrowed his choices to the Lakers, Dallas, Detroit, Miami and Orlando, Goodwin said.

Should Webber choose to join the Lakers, Aaron McKie appears to be the player most likely to be waived. [READ]

I guess the spurs are no longer in the race for him. More like, they never were.

ObiwanGinobili
01-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Webber Wants To Go West; Orlando Now In Mix?
12th January, 2007 - 6:10 am
L.A. Times -
Free-agent forward Chris Webber and the Lakers took another step toward each other Thursday, with Webber's agent saying his client was highly interested in heading west, and the Lakers acknowledging they were more than willing to listen.

"They're definitely a team that Chris is considering," agent Aaron Goodwin said. "He wants to be in a situation where he can continue to play and get significant minutes. He's rested, healthy and ready to go. The Lakers are playing well. Kobe's doing a great job of integrating everybody and turning it into a winning organization this year."

"There's a few teams that he's reviewing and then we're going to move forward. He's definitely excited."

Webber has narrowed his choices to the Lakers, Dallas, Detroit, Miami and Orlando, Goodwin said.

Should Webber choose to join the Lakers, Aaron McKie appears to be the player most likely to be waived. [READ]

I guess the spurs are no longer in the race for him. More like, they never were.

i'm not saying that Webber is coming here.
But I have just totally stopped believeing anythign from the media over trades and free-agency siginings.

If I re-call Micheal Finley was "definatly" signing with Detroit right before it was announced he hooked up with us.

Streakyshooter08
01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, I also don't believe the media that much. But the fact, that Pop said he isn't interested and all the reports connecting him with Det, LA and Miami really makes me believe he will sign somewhere else...

Before the Finley signing it was certain, that the Spurs were interested and that's obviously not the case here...

rayray2k8
01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
i'm not saying that Webber is coming here.
But I have just totally stopped believeing anythign from the media over trades and free-agency siginings.

If I re-call Micheal Finley was "definatly" signing with Detroit right before it was announced he hooked up with us.
I think you mean Miami.