PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliot: Future Spurs Coach?

joeyjfive
01-10-2007, 01:04 AM
I personally beleive Sean would make a great coach for this team, he can demand respect from the Spurs players, he can tell Tim Duncan to dunk the damn ball (since no one else on the spurs seems to), he also knows the defensive scheme since he played under Pops system before and overall if you've listened to him broadcast you know they guy knows basketball. What do you guys think?

p.s seriously Tim Duncan needs to dunk the ball, sure we won by double digits today but he had 2 screws up at the rim today in which he could have just dunked the ball, coulda had 20 points instead of 16,Tim.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
uh... no.

ponky
01-10-2007, 01:10 AM
sean elliot won't have an opportunity to coach timmy until timmy's around 35 yrs of age...dunking won't really be a factor at that point

seriously, there is no way that pop would leave or be fired the next couple of years...unless the spurs lost in the first round and even then...and EVEN THEN spurs won't lose in the first round

joeyjfive
01-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Allright maybe head coach is a bit of a stretch (and it is) but do you think possibly an assistant coach?

T Park
01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
If he wanted to be, he would've been by now.

Hes a media guy, and I think he likes family time.

He only does about 72 some odd games, maybe less, and if he was an assistant, the workload would triple.

So I think he enjoys playing golf, retirement, and his very very beautifull wife.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I think Sean has been asked this before by a member of the media, I'm not sure though. But I think hes happy where hes at right now. I think it was during a game broadcast or something when he talked about this.

Trainwreck2100
01-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Anything to get him to make Taco Cabana commercials again

SKINNYPIMP210
01-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah Tim "needs" To Start Dunking Again Damnit! It Fires Up The Crowd, Team, And Tim! Just Maybe Not Pop...

SilverPlayer
01-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Anything to get him to make Taco Cabana commercials again

Seriously someone find some old game tapes and put that up on Youtube. Those were serious greatness.

TDMVPDPOY
01-10-2007, 02:52 AM
sean elliot no

mario elie yes

bdictjames
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
He needs to teach Finley his shot again

Texas_Ranger
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
no thanks.

timvp
01-10-2007, 12:43 PM
ELLIOTT

shelshor
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Somehow I see Coach Elliott being a cross between Doug Moe and Abe Lemons
But better dressed

Taco
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I think Steve Kerr would make good coach

TDMVPDPOY
01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I think Steve Kerr would make good coach
his a worster homer then elliot...

IceColdBrewski
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
ELLIOTT

Ya beat me to it. After all those years in a Spurs uni, you'd think the fans would've learned how to spell his last name correctly. :rolleyes

zocool16
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
mmm no i don't see him as a future spurs coach, but i sure see avery johnson as a future spurs coach. book it. maybe not in the near future...but some day not that ahead in time.

Timmy!
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Can't see it. Pet Shop Boy Eliott is more like a buddy to the players than an authority figure. I can see it now....Coach Eliott trying to draw plays in the huddle while Bowen is throwing towels at him. :lol

tekdragon
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see him on the TNT crew. They frequently have a fourth chair that ranges from pretty good (Reggie Miller) to downright awful (Magic). I think Sean and his sense of humor would fit very nicely.

KB24
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd like to see him on the TNT crew. They frequently have a fourth chair that ranges from pretty good (Reggie Miller) to downright awful (Magic). I think Sean and his sense of humor would fit very nicely.

Who is Sean Elliot????

KB24
01-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Just Kidding? He is to Spurs Fans what Magic is to Lakers Fans right? But without the accomplishments.

DubMcDub
01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Sean Elliott is 10x the Spurs homer that Kerr is. It's not even close.

I think Kerr is pretty damn good as a commentator. Elliott is incredibly biased. I understand that he's on a regional FSN broadcast, so that's acceptable, but it's downright nauseating sometimes.

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
No more of a homer than most team's broadcasters.

To be fair though...I have heard Elliott blast Spurs players for mistakes and lack of hustle on several occasions.

Still...he is a good broadcaster....ESPN liked him...he just wanted to be closer to home, can't blame him for that.

Kerr does kick ass though.

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Just Kidding? He is to Spurs Fans what Magic is to Lakers Fans right? But without the accomplishments.

I know that was meant as a diss but in a lot of ways its true. Elliott has endeared himself to the community in SA...also what he overcame to get back on the court inspired a lot of folks and not just in San Antonio.

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Inspired Alonzo Mourning.

KB24
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I know that was meant as a diss but in a lot of ways its true. Elliott has endeared himself to the community in SA...also what he overcame to get back on the court inspired a lot of folks and not just in San Antonio.

No diss, really. We live in the same neighborhood. He is a great guy. He is a True Homer when it comes to the Spurs thought. I really like Steve Kerr as a commentator.

Chris
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Elliot has already gone on record saying that he believes the head coaching job is far to stressfull and time consuming for him.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Dude, Chris Webber is available.

z0sa
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM

ahem... i like magic's analyses.

wildbill2u
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Allright maybe head coach is a bit of a stretch (and it is) but do you think possibly an assistant coach?
Have you ever noticed that very few coaches who go into TV (and I can think of a couple who were very successful coaches) ever go back to coaching?

And I can't think of any player who has made a succesful transition to media work who has ever gone into coaching later.

There are probably several reasons for this:
1. Less time-even with proper preparation. 2. Less stress. 3. People still love them, even when they're crappy. 4. Some fans would hate Jesus if he coached an undefeated season for not running up the scores. 5. The money is good--and steady. 5. They have a reasonable chance of maintaining a long career at the job, no matter what the won-loss record is. 6. They can still be friends with players and enjoy the game.

Why would Sean give that up to enter coaching at any level?